Gun Control: Will Congress toughen access to guns, or not?

ϟMopederϟ 2012/12/28 13:47:39
Related Topics: Congress, Guns, Gun Control, Gun

You know how they talk about things and do nothing. I wonder if this will be any different.

Read More: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Assault_Weapo...

• Bob 2012/12/28 18:08:37
    Bob
    +12
    We have gun rights for a reason people. If the right to own a gun is ever taken away from the American citizen, we will be totally controlled by our government. This right was given to us for one reason only and that was to protect us from a rogue government, which, by the way, we would have right now, if it were not for this right. Our Second Amendment needs to be left alone entirely. Thousands of our veterans have died to protect our country and our Constitution and our Bill of Rights.This also involves thousands who were wounded for the same cause. I am a Veteran and that is what I served for. Stop and think, if we give up this right, which one will be next?

• JEFF 2013/01/01 04:32:51
    JEFF
    TOO LATE.
  • miro.plachy 2012/12/30 17:28:12
    miro.plachy
    We can all hope they do.
  • Shinimegami 2012/12/29 07:04:42
    Shinimegami
    +1
    Probably not.

Congress can't pass anything these days.
    They should but then thugs and madmen may switch to knives?
  • Centurion~PWCM~JLA 2012/12/28 23:54:14
    Centurion~PWCM~JLA
    We don't need more gun control laws. We need to teach personal responsibility and VALUES.

Most people complaining about "assault weapons" would not know one if it were shoved up their nose.

The only "gun control" I believe in is a sharp eye and a steady hand. Simply, gun control is being able to hit your target.

I don't see any of those politicians who have concealed carry and a small army of bodyguards willing to give theirs up. Why the hell should the rest of us?
  • Semper Fi 2012/12/28 22:37:00
    Semper Fi
    Toughen access to guns.... like welding all gun safes closed, road blocks every 100 yards, breaking the legs of suspected offenders so they can't walk, TSA scanners on every corner....
  • Shifting Piece 2012/12/28 20:26:40
    Shifting Piece
    +1
    Most likely. Say hello to more crime.
  • pcasper59 2012/12/28 19:47:41
    pcasper59
    I hope not; but do have a feeling that they will try to.
  • Fievel 2012/12/28 19:02:43
    Fievel
    Gun control... are they crazy? If I had a few hundred bucks, I could go just down the street to the crack dealers, and then tell them I want a handgun. I have enough (Green $$$) I'll have one fast. The answer isn't gun control. The answer is a more workable system. One that makes sense! We lock up druggies, but there's violent crime offenders who we let out. And then we pat each other on the backs, because we locked up more dangerous druggies. It's time to take a much closer look at our justice system, and how it is being run. Mayhap it's time for some change. Does it really make sense, to keep locking up *None Violent Drug Offenders*? It all comes right back down to drugs, and whether or not we should keep on locking up None Violent Offenders.

Really... Gun Control? The system itself is out of control, there needs to be proper balance to the justice system first, before thinking about something like more gun control.

That's My Two Cents. (For What Ever It's Worth.)
  • Lester 2012/12/28 18:59:26 (edited)
    Lester
    +1
    I will be blunt about how I feel on this: for which I expect to get flack from both sides.

The RWNJs are a bunch of spoiled children who couldn't care less that real children are being murdered if doing anything would have the smallest impact on their gun hobby.

Those on the Left are, as usual, well-meaning deluded idiots who think that banning a few gun types of which there are already thousands in circulation will have the slightest effect on anything: particularly since the vast majority of the violence comes from criminals and the mentally ill who would have no inclination to follow any new law.

The fact is that this country is the most violent in the industrialized world, and nobody in the debate has anything useful to say about the problem.
  • Thank u... Lester 2012/12/30 01:07:57
    Thank u, Nerdette Geekette
    I agree with u. What would u suggest?
  • Thank u... Lester 2012/12/31 21:59:57 (edited)
    Thank u, Nerdette Geekette
    Oh. I think I see now. U r suggesting getting rid of all guns or severly restricting them? That could be called The Big Bang Theory:D
    Oh, I expect they will. After all they win points on emotion with some voters and that is all that really matters to them. If they truly want to solve the problem of mental illness and the crazy who decides to shoot up a crowd, they would be talking about it.
  • ray 2012/12/28 18:42:52
    ray
    Probably not considering how stupid gun control is.
  • Frank 2012/12/28 18:34:48
    Frank
    Personally I think it's up to each state to decide, not the US Government. Or, put it to a vote and see what the public wants. I can tell you now the 2nd amendment would win by a landslide....
  • Ur4Dinner 2012/12/28 18:12:35
    Ur4Dinner
    Congressmen should no tbe allowed to carry concealed weapons
  • Bob 2012/12/28 18:08:37
    Bob
    +12
  • ϟMopederϟ Bob 2012/12/28 19:45:17
    ϟMopederϟ
    Utter nonsense and fear mongering.
  • Bob ϟMopederϟ 2012/12/29 00:43:49
    Bob
    +7
    Come on Mopeder, can you not comment with a little more intelligence than that. Like what, in my comment could you find as being utter nonsense? At least explain yourself when you make a comment like that, With the five words you used in your comment, you said absolutely nothing. Also, how do you come up with "fear mongering" in my
    statement? Can you give me one other reason we were given this right in the first place?
    Basically, you are stating that the authors of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights really didn't know what they were talking about. Is this what you mean to say?. Be a little more specific. I really believe you're more intelligent than that. Nice talking to you.
  • Avenged7 2012/12/28 17:50:36
    Avenged7
    +1
    I'm not real optimistic about it. We all know the power of the NRA, and their right wing stooges will fight any reform like hell. To them slaughtering children is not as important as people who have esteem problems and need assault weapons to make them feel more masculine. BUT congress did it in 1994 so maybe enough congress men and women will muster up enough fortitude and not become weak kneed and pass a decent gun control bill!!!!!
  • dispatcher 2012/12/28 17:45:13
    dispatcher
    +1
    Congress all talk NO action.. just look at the last 4 years ..NEED I SAY NO MORE !!!
  • JCD aka "biz" 2012/12/28 17:39:02
    JCD aka "biz"
    +1
    Hopefully. Your intentional homicide rate is far higher than in other countries which have strict gun control laws (gun control does not mean a total ban on arms, my son is a licensed hunter, and he owns a gun).
  • C. C. Rider 2012/12/28 17:26:55
    C. C. Rider
    +1
    This Nation cries out for more gun control. And we have a strong and wise President who make that happen. newtown furnerals
  • dallasjoe 2012/12/28 16:24:00
    dallasjoe
    +2
    They should look at the Son of the President of the NRA David Keene a "man" who let his son get a Gun even though the kid was Hospitized many times as a Child.
  • Birthpangs 2012/12/28 16:04:25
  • Queen B 2012/12/28 16:00:39
    Queen B
    +3
    The current bunch of asshats? No.
  • #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT... 2012/12/28 15:33:53
    #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT CONS
    +2
    I believe the chances are good. The carnage sure needs to end.
  • Lonzo 2012/12/28 15:27:59
    Lonzo
    +1
    Most likely they will regulate clip size and purchase of assault weapons. They may also put limits of other restraints on buying ammunition. Background checks will likely become more involved.
  • gimini210 2012/12/28 15:04:43 (edited)
    gimini210
    +2
    Funny how the government wants to crack down on guns, Obama's children attend a private school where NBC's David Gregory also sends his children that has a standard practice of having 11 armed guards to protect their children. The school is looking to hire more police offers to guard the school in addition to the ones they already have. This has nothing to do with the presidents children attending but what they have always practiced. NBC made a joke out of the mere hint of our children having armed guards. So they want guns to protect themselves and their children but hey people, screw you, we want to tightened our laws on guns to handy cap you all while we stay nice and safe. After all criminals don't use legal guns so they don't get traced back to them so who does the tighter laws effect? Law abiding citizens who do not need them.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-...
  • sjalan gimini210 2012/12/28 16:20:21
    +1
    You will find that not only do the children of the President go to that school, as well as David Gregory's, but nearly 45% of the children of foreign diplomats go to that same school as well. There are from what I can gather more than 15 such schools in the greater Washington, DC area for the children of foreign diplomats and vip individuals. They pay very dearly for that extra security.

You're barking up the wrong tree on this one since this has always been the case since the 1960's.
  • gimini210 sjalan 2012/12/28 16:58:03
    gimini210
    +2
    The point is that the very News people who taunted the mere thought of adding armed guards at schools for our children send theirs to schools where they have them. They think it is an outrage to protect our children just as theirs are protected.
  • sjalan gimini210 2012/12/28 17:56:28
    It is obvious that you are a member of the political right. So I ask, what pet program are you willing to give up funding to fund the UP FRONT costs of putting more "guards" on the campus's of our nation? Oh SS/Medicare/Medicare/Food Stamps etc all social programs of OFF the table in your choices.

You do realize you're talking about $8-14 BILLION dollars a year PLUS all the benefits PLUS the retirement benefits which will over time reach $100 billion a year.

Where's the money going to come from. The middle class and working poor are tapped out and you don't want to tax the rich.

How about we put a per gun TAX on every single gun in the US. Just one dollar per gun. That's $200 MILLION dollars a year for ya. Or BETTER YET, make it $20 per year That's $ 4 Billion a year, Damn! That's still not enough to pay for the up front expenses. Then lets make it $100 per year per gun That's ONLY $20 Billion STILL NOT ENOUGH, Got to figure in the RETIREMENT, MEDICAL and all the Rest.

OH TOO, LET'S never forget that the Republicans DEMAND that the Retirement programs be PRE FUNDED just like the DEMANDS UPON THE US POSTAL SERVICE SO that takes the real annual expense to over $20 BILLION.

So ya know, having a gun as a basic civil right, means You have to pay for that basic civil right when it creates an EXPENSE to SOCIETY.
  • gimini210 sjalan 2012/12/29 02:53:20
    gimini210
    You do realize that congress saw social security was making a huge profit and if they had left it alone it would now be more than able to support those who paid into it and expected it to be there. The government has spent over 2 trillion of social security they took in as taxes and have IOUs left in place of the money. Now just think how much that 2 trillion would of earned if left in an interest bearing account and not spent so congress could keep giving those who never worked, illegals and every other thing they overspent on the money we workers did earn and pay in. So where is that money and its interest? That is the bigger question. Do I think anyone but the very people in government owe that money to the American workers? No. I think the congress is filled with thieves and they haven't a problem blaming anyone and everyone but themselves.

They have multi-agencies that do the same thing and all failing yet they keep them and pay thousands to keep failing. Their entitlement programs are riddle with fraud by the billions, billions of tax dollars paid to illegal in welfare, food stamps, medicaid, and section 8. You wonder why we are in this mess with our national debt? It isn't the rich but congress. Get real. they haven't a clue what making and keeping to a budget means but they do understand they can spend and blame others and a large portion of Americans will fall for it.
  • gaylehelen 2012/12/28 14:56:31
    gaylehelen
    +1
    LET'S GET THEM TO AVOID THE FISCAL CLIFF FIRST.
    Then the Dairy Act because of my health I need to drink milk and cannot afford $8 per gallon! I'm afraid to think of the number of families in the same boat with the cost of milk.
  • Birthpangs gaylehelen 2012/12/28 16:06:56
  • DoxieDad 2012/12/28 14:56:05
    DoxieDad
    +1
    Nothing will be done. The squeaky wheels will make allot of noise and then the next national distraction will take place and it will all be forgotten.
  • Judog10 2012/12/28 14:52:10
    Judog10
    +2
    Only WE THE PEOPLE, can make the change with our determination never to give up on what we believe is correct thing to do...
  • Judog10 2012/12/28 14:42:02
    Judog10
    Only if w
  • Amasaman 2012/12/28 14:31:06
    Amasaman
    +3
    Gun control is not about guns, it's about control.
  • ϟMopederϟ Amasaman 2012/12/28 14:35:23
    ϟMopederϟ
    +3
    Just what isn't needed... more rhetoric.

2014/08/28 23:28:12