Gun control: an open letter to Governor Christie

Temlakos~POTL~PWCM~JLA~☆ 2013/02/18 15:58:03
I'm a criminal. And if you obey gun control laws, you are at my mercy. Arm yourself to better protect yourself against mayhem. Like me.
Be sensible! The police will take care of any real problem you have, better than you can.
You make my head spin.
A Tea Party activist write to Governor Chris Christie of New Jersey, asking him to veto the gun control measure that the Legislature is working on.

He doesn't talk about the Constitutional angle. That should speak for itself.

Instead he points out some cold, hard facts, many of which even I did not know:

Did you know that, half the time, when someone commits a felony and uses a gun to do it, the gun charge often goes away in plea bargaining? Whereas, get caught with an unregistered gun, and it's all over for you, and no bargain.

Did you ever figure the odds on actually getting shot? How about 333,333,333 to one. Against. I'll take that bet any day of the week, if I can arm myself and maybe stop a crime in progress just by pointing the gun and saying, "Hold it right there!"

And would you care to count the number of times a crime went on, not because the bystanders wouldn't stop it, but because they couldn't stop it? And do you really think a criminal is going to abide by any limits on his armament?

That's why the original author, and I, stand against gun control. Even apart from whether I find this present government trustworthy.

How about you?

Read More: http://www.conservativenewsandviews.com/2013/02/18...

• HOMBRE 2013/02/18 17:06:48
    I'm a criminal. And if you obey gun control laws, you are at my mercy. Arm yo...
    HOMBRE
    +68
    In this country we elect a President, not a King. Anyone who listened to Obama's State of the Union realizes he doesn't have a firm grasp of that concept

When he says things like "If Congress won't act, I will," then it is clear that he feels empowered to make us his subjects.

When he legislates through selective enforcement on things like stripping the work requirement from welfare, he displays his belief that he is above the law.

Not in America, and not on our WATCH! The people of this country are SUBJECTS OF NO ONE! Our natural RIGHTS are not something the government is free to modify or temper, they are GRANTED BY OUR CREATOR!

Resist Tryanny

The RIGHT TO SELF DEFENSE, as stated in no uncertain terms in the 2nd Amendment, is under direct assault from this would-be tyrant and on Saturday we are going to exercise another one of our rights (the right to peacefully assemble) to make sure that the government KNOWS that we will RESIST any curtailing of the divine blessings of life!

• Hamilton 2013/02/26 00:14:02
    Hamilton
    +1
    when seconds count, the police will be there in minutes.
  • Yo'Adrienne..AFCL 2013/02/24 01:12:20
    You make my head spin.
    Yo'Adrienne..AFCL
    +1
    A spinning top

HUH!!!!
  • American 1st 2013/02/23 09:30:31
    American 1st
    +1
    Christie is a Democrat & I have NO use for him.

The Dems took 2 months loading up the Hurricane Sandy bill with their special interest BS instead of writing a short bill to get assistance to the victims immediately.

Excuse me, but what part of hurricane relief:
    - requires millions of bullets? Obama going to do more Skeet shooting?
    - does the Drug Enforcement Administration need $1 MILLION for salaries & expenses?

There's plenty more, especially salaries & expenses:

http://api.ning.com/files/0zb...

After they loaded it up with crap, they slapped it down in front of the Republicans & said "Sign It!" (Remind you of Obamacare?) When the Repubs said, Whoa, wait a minute, we can't sign this bill full of sh*t, Obama & the Dems immediately took to TV & the Internet with a full blown campaign to "blame" the Repubs for delaying the bill to help the victims. They played it up big time!

What a crock! And Christie fell for their propaganda hook, line & sinker! What a moron! He should have been screaming his guts out at the Dems.

Remember when the Dems critisized Pres Bush over Katrina?

Question: Do Democrats do anything other than BLAME Republicans for their own mistakes & shortcomings?

http://api.ning.com/files/0zb...

You make my head spin.
    +2
    All good points
  • donisue 2013/02/22 23:46:55
    donisue
    +2
    This gun control thing is just getting out of control, the leftist, marxist jerks need brain implants.
  • sunniday 2013/02/22 22:27:59
    You make my head spin.
    sunniday
    I believe the only guns we are speaking of are assault type weapons & we do not need them in our homes ,untrained people have no business with these type of weapons,
    we have all seen what happens when children get access. Plus criminals do not BUY THESE GUNS they STEAL them from your home.
  • Beverly 2013/02/22 22:22:55
    Beverly
    +2
    Great lettter that states the facts.
  • BBLEE 2013/02/22 19:50:16
    BBLEE
    +1
    I said before, Chris Christie Is a DemocRAT, in disguise, I Knew his views on Gun control, and that I could never Support Him.
  • ☆Ed☆ 2013/02/21 06:04:07
    ☆Ed☆
    +3
    (1) In order to study and verify the COLOSSAL FAILURES of STRICT gun control laws, all one needs to do is research CHICAGO's abhorrent history!!!

http://articles.chicagotribun...

Chicago's pointless handgun ban

City gun ordinances proved to be a failure

March 04, 2010|By Steve Chapman

When Chicago passed a ban on handgun ownership in 1982, it was part of a trend. Washington, D.C., had done it in 1976, and a few Chicago suburbs took up the cause in the following years. They all expected to reduce the number of guns and thus curtail bloodshed.

District of Columbia Attorney General Linda Singer told The Washington Post in 2007, "It's a pretty common-sense idea that the more guns there are around, the more gun violence you'll have." Nadine Winters, a member of the Washington City Council in 1976, said she assumed at the time that the policy "would spread to other places."

But the fad never really caught fire — even before last summer, when the U.S. Supreme Court struck down the D.C. law and cast doubt on the others, including the Chicago ordinance before the court Tuesday. The Second Amendment may kill such restrictions, but in most places, it wasn't needed to keep them from hatching in the first place.

Maybe that's because there were so many flaws in the basic idea. ...

http://articles.chicagotribun...

Chicago's pointless handgun ban

March 04, 2010|By Steve Chapman

Maybe that's because there were so many flaws in the basic idea. Or maybe it was because strict gun control makes even less sense at the municipal level than it does on a broader scale. At any rate, the policy turned out to be a comprehensive dud.

In the years following its ban, Washington did not generate a decline in gun murders. In fact, the number of killings rose by 156 percent — at a time when murders nationally increased by just 32 percent. For a while, the city vied regularly for the title of murder capital of America.

Chicago followed a similar course. In the decade after it outlawed handguns, murders jumped by 41 percent, compared with an 18 percent rise in the entire United States.

One problem is that the bans didn't actually have any discernible effect on the availability of guns to people with felonious intent. As with drugs and hookers, when there is a demand for guns, there will always be a supply.

Who places the highest value on owning a firearm? Criminals. Who is least likely to fear being prosecuted for violating the law? Criminals. Who is most likely to have access to illicit dealers? You guessed it.

If we were starting out in a country with zero guns, it might be possible to keep such weapons away from bad guys. But that's not this country, which has more than 200 million firearms in private hands and a large, perpetual supply of legal handguns.

Only a tiny percentage of those weapons has to be diverted to the underground trade for crooks to acquire all the firepower they need. While gun bans greatly impede the law-abiding, they pose only a trivial inconvenience to the lawless.

This is especially true at the local level. Banning guns from one city makes about as much sense as banning them on one block.

It's hard enough to halt the flow of guns over international borders, where governments police traffic. It's impossible to stop them from crossing municipal boundaries — which are unmonitored, undefended and practically invisible.

Tens of thousands of cars enter Washington and Chicago each day from places where guns are easily and legally obtainable. Any of those vehicles could be transporting a carton of pistols to sell to willing thugs. If you're on an island, you're going to get splashed by the waves.

The proponents obviously knew all along this city-by-city approach had serious shortcomings. But they figured it was bound to curtail gun availability somewhat. They also hoped that by prohibiting handguns in one place, they were beginning a bigger process.

First, they expected that other cities and states would follow suit. Second, they wagered that strict controls at the local level would acclimate Americans to new regulations at the national level.

But things didn't work out that way. The persistence of crime in supposedly gun-free zones didn't build support for broader gun control by showing the limits of piecemeal legislation. It weakened the case, by proving that such regulations have little impact on the people who present the biggest danger. Instead of a broad upward avenue, it was a dead end.

Gun control supporters fear that if the Supreme Court invalidates local handgun bans, the consequences will be nothing but bad. That would be easier to believe if the laws had ever done any good.

Steve Chapman is a member of the Tribune's editorial board and blogs at chicagotribune.com/chapman

schapman@tribune.com

(2) In order to study and verify the FULL SUCCESS of REQUIRING RESIDENTS TO OWN at least one firearm AND ammunition for it, all one needs to do is research the history of KENNESAW, GA!!!

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/...

FT Magazine

Kennesaw, where everyone is armed by law

By Anna Fifield

Last updated: September 25, 2010 9:32 am

Kennesaw, Georgia, is Everytown, USA: a mixture of old wooden bungalows and cookie-cutter subdivisions, of seventh-­generation locals and Mexican immigrants.

But this city, half an hour’s drive north of Atlanta, is unique: it is the only place in America where it is compulsory to own a gun. In 1982, Kennesaw City Council unanimously passed an ordinance requiring households to own at least one firearm with ammunition. The law states that its purpose is to “protect the safety, security and general welfare of the city and its inhabitants”. Kennesaw’s ordinance was a heartfelt assertion of second amendment gun rights, a principled and legislative rebuttal to a law passed earlier that year in Morton Grove, ­Illinois, banning guns within the city limits.

“It was official, but we were protesting as much as anything,” recalls Fred Bentley, a lawyer, who was already 56 when he wrote the ordinance. Looking every part the southern charmer in a grey suit and spotless white shirt topped with a gingham bow tie, Bentley keeps a loaded .38 revolver by his bed and two double-barrel shotguns from his hunting days. Otherwise his guns are decorative – a Brown Bess ­revolutionary-era musket stands by the door of his office.

Kennesaw residents were outraged not only by Morton Grove’s assault on the second amendment of the Constitution – which gives all Americans the right to bear arms – but also by “the slobbering way that the press portrayed the law as taking a stand against ‘evil’ handguns,” says Robert Jones, the president of the Kennesaw Historical Society and the owner of a .357 Magnum handgun. The American Civil Liberties Union challenged Kennesaw’s law as unconstitutional, but the federal court let it stand, although the city did add a clause exempting conscientious objectors, criminals, the mentally disabled and people who could not afford a gun.

Jones says: “In 1982 this was a rural community of about 5,000 people. The whole town was very conservative and about 95 per cent of people owned guns anyway, so it was a very symbolic law.” Indeed, the law contains no penalty for violation and no one has ever been prosecuted for not owning a gun. Local police estimate that only 50 per cent of households have a gun.

But almost 30 years after the law was passed, it is still in place and still popular, not least because Kennesaw’s crime rate has remained disproportionately low, even as the town’s population swelled from 5,000 in 1982 to almost 35,000 now. According to the latest FBI statistics, Kennesaw recorded 31 violent crimes – mainly robberies and aggravated assaults – during 2008. In other similar-sized local towns the figures were much higher – 127 in Dalton and 188 in Hinesville. For property crimes – largely burglaries and thefts – Kennesaw recorded 555 while Dalton had 1,124 and Hinesville 1,802.

“Firearms are involved in less than 2 per cent of the crime around here,” confirms Craig Graydon, a police lieutenant who has served in Kennesaw for 24 years. “If nothing else, [the firearms law] draws a lot of attention to the importance of crime prevention.” Though it will give liberals heartburn, Kennesaw’s gun policy works.
  • goatman112003 2013/02/20 08:19:55
    goatman112003
    +3
    I'm a retired cop from NJ and I can tell you the first thing kicked out in the plea bargain is the gun charges as they call for minimum penalties which blows the purpose of the plea bargain Also Jersey's justice is so backed up that you won't see the grand jury for almost a year and trial at about 18 months. So how much mayhem can you do in that interim lots and all of it is rollled up into one bargain.
  • JT For Political Reform 2013/02/19 19:28:06
    JT For Political Reform
    +3
    There is only one true way to protect yourself and it isn't by calling 911.
  • SoCalEx-Dem 2013/02/19 17:19:19
    SoCalEx-Dem
    +3
    I have never shot anyone, but I have been shot. I support the 2nd Amendment fully and think classes on shooting should be required of all citizens that aren't on mental meds. With our borders standing open who knows what will happen next. I prefer to be prepared than to be standing around scratching my ass.
  • Dan 2013/02/19 16:08:44 (edited)
    Dan
    +4
    I'm not a criminal of course but I love the simple logic using the "mayhem" guy. Priceless. After the theatre shooting in Colorado I had a conversation on sh with a lady who believed that we should not be armed because the police are trained to shoot armed criminals without killing them. Another thought because the killer had body armor that bullets from an armed citizen would have had no affect on him. It seems to me that our biggest gun control problem is a lack of education. I don't expect everyone to be a firearms expert, but I've seen so many of these types of rediculous assumptions that it's no wonder we have people wanting to defy our own constitution.
  • gregory... Dan 2013/02/20 12:26:20
    gregory.brown.5030
    +3
    She is right, the police are taught not to shoot to kill a suspect. They are taught to aim at center mass of the target. The chest area. They are also taught to adjust their aim upward if the suspect is wearing body armor and still resisting. The head area. The "Use Of Force continuum" provides that the amount of force should be applied equal to the use of force that the suspect is using, adjusting for factors like weapons used and fear for self and bystanders. In short, if you pull a gun on me with intent, I will shoot you in the chest. If you don't go down and stop resisting, I will then shoot you in the head.
  • Dan gregory... 2013/02/21 02:52:34
    Dan
    +3
    From what you said here, I'd say she was wrong. Center mass is hardly the slightly wounding disarming shot that could be applied to every situation that she was refering to. You'd have to read her full statements to appreciate them. When I asked her how many police officers told her that, she avoided answering three times until I pressed her for an answer. She finally said: "All of them".
  • gregory... Dan 2013/02/21 13:23:33 (edited)
    gregory.brown.5030
    +2
    Using common sense, aiming for an arm or a leg would be just plain stupid. It is a smaller target and moving. It would also not remove the threat as a guy shot in the leg or arm could still shot you. The job of any peace officer is to protect the public at large. That is why in prison for example, hostages loose all rank and privileges if taken. The threat to the community at large is much grater than the threat to a single person no matter who he is. It even works the same way for the President of the US. If he is taken hostage then He is no longer the President until the crisis is over. If he is compromised by his family being taken hostage then he no longer can give orders until the crisis is over.
    Many police officers will say that they do not shoot to kill. that is because it would put them in a compromising position in court.
  • Dan gregory... 2013/02/26 15:22:12
    Dan
    +1
    That court point is a good one. Anything you say can and will be used againsts you in the court of public opinion as well. I should have told that lady to sprint for a few blocks and then face an armed criminal and see how her "disarming" technique works with her hands shaking like an earhquake. Your point about a wounded criminal being able to shoot back is a very good one also. In a recent home invasion a woman shot the intruder six times, even hitting him in the face and neck and he still escaped (caught later). If he had returned fire (no report of him having a firearm) or if he had been doped she may very well have been killed. Reality is far different than many of the comments I read on sh. That goes for the Wyatt Earp types as well. I seriously thought about going into law enforcement after I got out of the army. That was the time the show "Cops" came out. After watching a few episodes I didn't think I would have the patience needed to deal with people spitting in my face while lying to it. I might now, but that's because I'm old.
  • gregory... Dan 2013/02/27 23:12:25
    gregory.brown.5030
    +2
    Old hell, I'm 53 and start a new job in one of the worst jails in the Atl. area next week as a C/O. I started in corrections when I was 46. I've worked in this jail before, and I hope it is better tis time with the new sheriff. the last one was a lawyer and gave the Inmates too much power. Articulation is the key when you have to drop one of them on their haircut. If you can explain why you did it, you're golden.
  • gregory... gregory... 2013/02/27 23:15:34
    gregory.brown.5030
    +1
    My wife and I used to watch Cops all the time because she worked in Atl. at an aids clinic. We would watch to see how many of her clients from zone 2 were arrested. lol.
  • Dan gregory... 2013/03/04 00:46:19
    Dan
    +1
    Back in (about) 1994 I bought my first flatbed tow truck and put my unlisted cell (bag) phone number on both front fenders. The first week I had it a deputy called me to impound a car he had been chasing. The driver fled on foot. After I picked up the car I didn't get a mile down the road when I got a call on my unlisted cell phone from the driver: "Can I get my car back man?" I could hardly stop laughing long enough to tell him no. When I stopped laughing, I got my conceal and carry permit.
  • gregory... Dan 2013/03/04 22:53:01
    gregory.brown.5030
    +1
    Just goes to show that crooks is stoopaid. We released an inmate at 0700 one morning, and he and his wife was arrested for stealing copper from behind the workcamp (prison) at 0845. Now both are in prison.
  • Dan gregory... 2013/03/04 00:34:02
    Dan
    +1
    Good luck in your new job. I thank you for your service as much as a would a military veteran. I stayed with turning wrenches after I got out of the Army. Machines are much easier to deal with than people. Having had to deal with the public for over 25 years has made my years like dog years, you have to multiply them times 7;) I can imagine what you have to deal with. That is why I decided not to deal with it. It's a good thing we're not all the same.
  • gregory... Dan 2013/03/04 22:54:57
    gregory.brown.5030
    +1
    Somebody's got to do it I guess. My two main skills are building and breaking. Nobody's building houses here right now.
  • Dan gregory... 2013/03/10 01:32:40
    Dan
    +1
    For me, it's a good thing that not everyone is buying new cars.
  • seadog6608PWCM 2013/02/19 16:02:45
  • 4570GOVT 2013/02/19 15:54:29
    4570GOVT
    +2
    BRAVO - Well Said !
    The link to the " actual letter " speaks Common Sense in volumes ..........

EVERYONE should read this link - http://www.conservativenewsan...

Thank You for printing it , Friend !
  • cc 2013/02/19 06:46:46
    cc
    +4
    If it were possible to take all the guns from the criminals and elect an honorable government, I'd GIVE my gun up!! That will never happen though.

Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control.
  • chucky 2013/02/19 06:02:16
    chucky
    +4
    Ban guns and then only criminals will have guns.
  • donisue chucky 2013/02/22 23:32:56
    donisue
    +1
    You are so right but some people are so stupid they just don't get it.
  • chucky donisue 2013/02/23 10:10:27
    chucky
    There is none so blind that will not see the truth.
  • tyler.fisher.1800 2013/02/19 03:43:24 (edited)
    tyler.fisher.1800
    +3
    I don't understand why Obama targets the gun instead of the crazies shooting them at people. instead of wasting tax dollars on gun control, why don't we get some help for those crazies. As for the police doing it better than I can. The average response time for the police is 22 minutes, even if you manage to call them can you dodge all those pullets for 22 minutes.
  • Cat 2013/02/19 03:27:11
    You make my head spin.
    Cat
    +2
    Just stay away from my home, criminals,
    I know how to hit what I aim at,
    and I carry extra loaded magazines. Hello Kitty with gun
  • CODE 11 2013/02/19 02:41:13
    CODE 11
    +1
    Hold it right there !...If he doesn't then what do you do? If you don't think you can shoot, then don't pull it out or he just may take it away and kill you.
  • keeper 2013/02/19 01:12:47
    keeper
    +2
    Guns are the innocent victims in this debate! LOL
  • belle 2013/02/19 01:12:35
    belle
    +3
    Christie let all his common sense be blown away by the hurricane. That was obvious when he was getting so close and chummy with Obama right before the election.
  • Nancy~PWCM~JLA~POTL 2013/02/19 01:09:13
    Nancy~PWCM~JLA~POTL
    +4
    Basically this president has literally come out of nowhere and has grabbed the attention of enough voters to lead a nation. He is leading from behind. He stepped up and decided that he will override the constitution and place HIS power to render Americans weaker not stronger.

We have been dictated to for the last four years and his words ring strangly true of socialism. He has been a proponent to inflation and cannot devise one plan to create equality. We are Equal yes but those in Power have received a different memo and that is they above the law placed and written and keep mincing the meaning at every chance they get..

I don't care what color or creed he is as long as he would honestly believe that the Constitution is what matters and stop the division of this once great nation.

His legacy will not be a proud one.
  • mich52 2013/02/19 00:53:17
  • Bali mich52 2013/02/19 02:26:05
    Bali
    +5
    it was darlin', and more will be spilled should it be infringed upon. what do you not understand?
  • mich52 Bali 2013/02/19 03:21:49
  • Princess mich52 2013/02/19 04:51:35
    Princess
    +2
    It's called tyranny in my book.

2014/11/22 08:58:09