Growing Number of British Schools Banning Skirts: Stupid or Smart?

How times have changed! Only decades ago, it was unthinkable for girls to wear pants to school. Now, as many British schools are choosing to ban skirts, they have no other choice.

Unlike in America, where there is fierce argument over the issue, uniforms have long been a part of British school culture. As such, debate centers around particular uniform specifications.

In the fight against rising hemlines, a growing number of British schools are now choosing the "nuclear option": banning skirts altogether.

According to the Los Angeles Times, "girls who might've kissed their parents goodbye in the morning looking like paragons of virtue were arriving on campus with their skirts bunched up at the waist and drastically shortened."

Many educators are worried about the sexualization of children at ever-younger ages and others are just sick and tired of wasting precious school time battling dress code violations.

"We didn't want to waste any more time on it," said David New, headmaster at the publicly funded Nailsea school. "It just means that teachers can concentrate on what's important in education."

Some students agree that there is a problem, but believe the outright skirt ban is unfair to rule-abiding students.

"It is a bit of a problem, because we don't want to see their knickers. Walking up the stairs, you don't want to see whatever the girl's wearing under the skirt," said 15-year-old Sharna Griffin.

"I've never really been one to follow the crowd," she added. "I don't think it's fair that the girls whose skirts are the correct length will not be able to wear them."

What do you think? Is the decision by some British schools to ban skirts altogether stupid or smart?

Read More: http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-f...

• Dude La 2011/09/13 16:54:23
    Dude
    Any form of stupidity or despotic suppression of human rights is always the result of moronic action by progressives. Fortunately for us we have a flawless barometer to show us what is correct and what is dangerously wrong. That barometer is two fold. If Britain and the EU are doing it it's 90% certain to be bad. If our socialist democrats are purposing it it's at least 94% certain to be harmful to America. If both of these hotbeds of socialist idiocy are in agreement it is a 100% certainty that the action is very bad for America, capitalism and all freedom loving people of the world.
  • La Dude 2011/09/17 12:35:09
    La
    Nothing about you is flawless, mate.
  • tstarr 2011/09/13 02:31:45
    Smart
    tstarr
    +1
    I hated wearing a skirt to school, the wind would lift it, walking up stairs always brought jeers from the guys and heaven forbid you wanted to play any sports that required jumping. We weren't even allowed to wear tights or shorts underneath. I would have loved to have gone to a school were girls were allowed to wear pants.
  • La tstarr 2011/09/13 07:43:56
    La
    My school was brilliant. You could choose between the school dress, skirt, or your own pants/shorts as long as they were black.
  • Louis 2011/09/13 02:24:27
    Stupid
    Louis
    I'd drop out. Seriously. I wear a skirt 3 days out of the week!
  • La Louis 2011/09/13 07:44:27
    La
    +3
    I like how it's "I'd drop out" not "I'd move schools".
  • Louis La 2011/09/13 21:29:24
    Louis
    +1
    Exactly:) I had to make it dramatic! lol
    I wouldn't really drop out. I was just kidding!
  • La Louis 2011/09/17 12:35:42
    La
    It's okay, I was teasing :P
  • ★misfit★ 2011/09/13 02:12:18
    Stupid
    ★misfit★
    +1
    It's stupid to make over-generalized rules like this just because it's easier for the school. So a few girls roll up their skirts. It's not the end of the world. If a girl's skirt is inappropriately short (like her panties are showing), she can be asked to roll it down or go home. I don't think that's too much work for the school.
  • Bassinman 2011/09/13 02:03:57
    Stupid
    Bassinman
    +1
    I grew up in the 60/70s when the mini skirt was all the rage in my school in L.A. That was Junior High (7th-9th grade in the old system). When I moved to Oklahoma, in '67, I was sort of surprised to see that the 'back woods' wasn't so back woods that minis weren't banned (and some of THEM should have been, even though I had no complaints at the time). But, the bunching up of longer skirts has been an ongoing thing for several decades, and is really not a new thing at all. I just think that, even if there is a 2" above the knee rule (like both of the above schools touted), there would still be a few that would hike 'em up to the crotch, just like they did in the schools that I attended. But, the majority would follow the rules, just like the majority follows all the other rules. Girls shouldn't be forced to wear pants, unless the abuse the rules.I remember how warm I was in school, and I'm a guy, who wore slacks and jeans to school every day. Back then, we couldn't even wear shorts or cut-offs to Summer School like the kids can now.
  • La Bassinman 2011/09/13 07:46:04
    La
    +1
    I think the problem is that the schools got sick of different committees arguing about how short the skirts should be allowed to be (knee length, 2 inches above, as short as they damn want, etc) and they just said EVERYONE SHUT UP WE'RE BANNING SKIRTS.
  • ghostrider 2011/09/13 02:03:32
    Stupid
    ghostrider
    +2
    Not sure about outright 'stupid', but certainly 'going overboard'.
  • Brosia 2011/09/13 01:42:12
    Smart
    Brosia
    +2
    If, as a teacher, you are spending more time telling girls to stop being sluts and pull down the skirts, then there is a problem and it needs to be addressed. If banning the skirts helps get you back to teaching, go for it.
  • C-ZAR™, Emperor of the PHÆT 2011/09/13 01:29:48
    Stupid
    C-ZAR™, Emperor of the PHÆT
    +1
    Maybe this will suffice then:
    suffice Women in Burqas
  • zionosp... C-ZAR™,... 2011/09/13 04:26:40
    zionosphere
    +6
    That little tramp is showing WAY too much ankle!
  • C-ZAR™,... zionosp... 2011/09/13 04:30:29
    C-ZAR™, Emperor of the PHÆT
    +1
    hahaha!! lol
  • Jake Bl... C-ZAR™,... 2011/09/13 04:27:09
    Jake Blanton
    +2
    Those SLUTS !!! They are showing their *ankles*... Oh, the *shame* of it...
  • LKO Leader 2011/09/13 00:35:53
    Stupid
    LKO Leader
    Facepalm.
    Come on, people! Be reasonable!
    No need to get rid of something like that! Think about the lack of motivation for all us guys! [That was a joke, OK!]
  • Tithead 2011/09/13 00:00:25
    Stupid
    Tithead
    +1
    uniforms are just the orange jumpsuites they force you to wear at the prison--i mean school.
  • ghostrider Tithead 2011/09/13 01:57:27
    ghostrider
    +3
    "jumpsuites"??? .... I'm surprised you didn't misspell 'school'.
  • Tithead ghostrider 2011/09/13 02:46:03
    Tithead
    +1
    whatever. i don't have the best spelling, and so what if i did? it's the internet. and atleast i'm not one of those douchbags hoo spel liik dis on porpoos b cuz dey thnk its kewl.
  • ghostrider Tithead 2011/09/13 18:30:00
    ghostrider
    Well, your comments certainly reflect your level of esteem for school and education.
  • Tithead ghostrider 2011/09/14 20:28:19
    Tithead
    yeah, i admit it, i don't think that the school system works very well. home school kids get into better collages more often and also get higher grade point averages. what does it say about an institution built to teach, that doesn't teach as well as just staying home?
  • zionosp... ghostrider 2011/09/13 04:30:38
    zionosphere
    I'm surprised you didn't add two or three exclamation marks to your redundant punctuation.
  • La zionosp... 2011/09/13 07:47:24
    La
    Punctuation is not redundant :/ You're using it yourself there, mate.
  • ghostrider zionosp... 2011/09/13 18:31:13
    ghostrider
    I considered doing so but decided against it.
  • Steelshrt 2011/09/12 23:25:45
    Stupid
    Steelshrt
    But I am a man, and like to see long lovely legs. Interested in the opinion of the ladies.
  • Anon 2011/09/12 23:17:32
    Smart
    Anon
    +2
    How else are students supposed to learn? If you can't wear a skirt at the correct length you don't get to wear a skirt, simple as that. This is exactly the sort of thing schools are supposed to teach children - discipline.
  • TheNigh... Anon 2011/09/12 23:27:58 (edited)
    TheNightFly
    Parents are supposed to teach children discipline. Schools are only supposed to teach the three R's. This is not a school, it's a church. Bothering girls about the lengths of their skirts is not teaching discipline, it's a petty display of arrogance and sexual belittlement. Let the girls wear whatever the heck they want, or nothing at all! As long as they put fabric between their genitals and their chairs, it's not an issue.
  • Anon TheNigh... 2011/09/12 23:44:26
    Anon
    +1
    Your comment is retarded and you contradicted yourself anyway. Since when? School is supposed to teach children many things, but primarily to teach academic excellence and assist in creating well-rounded individuals. Parents also have this duty.

Yes it is teaching discipline; you have to wear a school uniform and you have to wear it a certain way. If you don't wear your skirt at the prescribed length you don't get to wear a skirt - what is wrong with that? The schools also have an image to maintain; they can't have their students wandering around showing their knickers to everyone, nor can the school allow their students to think it is acceptable to wear skirts up to their armpits - what kind of values is that instilling in students, when an 11 year old girl thinks it is ok to wear a stupidly short skirt? It's not safe for them either.

The school uniform is there for many reasons, one of which is to stop the sexualization of students. The girls aren't losing any freedoms or rights by not being allowed to wear a skirt. If the girls had stuck to the prescribed length they would still be able to wear one. As they haven't, they are learning about actions and consequences.
  • TheNigh... Anon 2011/09/13 00:18:20 (edited)
    TheNightFly
    Granted, private schools can teach whatever parents want them to teach. But it's still wrong to bother girls about what they ware and how they wear it.

"what is wrong with that?"
    It's wrong because it conveys the social stigma that nudity is something dirty and naughty rather than normal and beautiful.

"The schools also have an image to maintain"
    What image, yours or mine?

"nor can the school allow their students to think it is acceptable to wear skirts up to their armpits"
    Why is it unacceptable? Again, pandering to whole category of acute social stigmata.

"what kind of values is that instilling in students"
    It instills the values of not being ashamed or embarrassed about your body, of not feeling ashamed or embarrassed about what you wear or how you wear it.

"when an 11 year old girl thinks it is ok to wear a stupidly short skirt?"
    What does "stupidly short" mean? How do you define stupidly short? How do you define "intelligently long"? When did scientists discover that a direct connection exists between a girl's IQ and the length of her skirt? I know some women who like to dress like prostitutes- they're software engineers. I also know some prudes who never wear their skirts above their ankles and don't have the two cents to shuffle a deck of cards.

"It's not safe for them either."
    Ho...

"what is wrong with that?"

What image, yours or mine?

"It's not safe for them either."
    How is it dangerous?

"aren't losing any freedoms or rights by not being allowed"
    And you think my comment was retarded. I don't think you have a clue of what freedom is. I think you need to stop and question everything you think you know before continuing to make a fool of yourself.
  • Anon TheNigh... 2011/09/13 01:24:22
    Anon
    I understand what you're saying but school is not really the place to be encouraging nudity in such a way, because the possible repercussion are far too severe. There are far better ways of conveying the message that nudity and one's body is nothing to be ashamed of than wearing a short skirt - discussion of the issue for one. I know many women who, when going out to the pub will wear a short skirt but they won't at work. The reasons why they don't at work are the same ones for why girls shouldn't wear short skirts to school.

Wearing a short skirt does not instil values of not being ashamed or embarrassed about one's body or improve body image. Girls won't magically stop feeling insecure or less image concious just by donning a short skirt. Many of the girls roll their skirts up simply because other girls in their class are doing it. They are not liberated simply by wearing a short skirt. In fact, if you look at the motives of the students in choosing to wear short skirts, most of the time it is because it is fashionable to do so or because the media has told them that this is what they should be wearing - that is hardly liberating, nor is it teaching them anything about being comfortable with their bodies or not being embarrassed about nudity.

They are forced to wear a unifor...

They are forced to wear a uniform in the first place, primarily so that there are not discrepancies between the richer and poorer students and secondly to avoid the sexualisation of students. If you're going to argue that by not letting them wear skirts they are loosing their freedom then its redundant anyway because surely being made to wear a uniform at all is a loss of freedom.

A school is an institution that is trying to attract other children to join it, thus it needs to promote a respectable image so that parents will continue to enrol their children in the school. Personally, I feel that once a young woman becomes sixteen then she should be able to wear what she chooses. However, any younger than that and they are still children. I find it hard to believe that anyone could fail to understand the objection to a girl of eleven wearing a skirt short enough that her knickers are visible (that is what I mean by stupidly short).
  • bricklyn TheNigh... 2011/09/13 01:56:04
    bricklyn
    +1
    School is a place to learn how to dress for the work place. Nudity is not allow there either. Students need to learn what is acceptable when they are learning life skills, dress codes are one of them.
  • bricklyn TheNigh... 2011/09/13 01:53:08
    bricklyn
    +1
    Some one has to teach kids what is appropriate. If the parents are not doing it, the school should.
  • bricklyn Anon 2011/09/13 01:49:32
    bricklyn
    +1
    Very true. However, when I was in school, pants were ban. I guess things always change.
  • ghostrider Anon 2011/09/13 02:01:27
    ghostrider
    .... "correct length"??? .... which is?? .... and who will determine that 'correctness'?
  • Anon ghostrider 2011/09/15 08:04:49
    Anon
    The school seeing as though the school prescribes the uniform and how it should be worn.
  • pjwinkler65 2011/09/12 23:08:06
    Smart
    pjwinkler65
    When my older sister was in grade school she says she got paddled often for disobeying dress code by wearing pants.
  • JCD aka... pjwinkl... 2011/09/13 10:28:36
    JCD aka "biz"
    Paddling the little girl was clearly excessive.
  • pjwinkl... JCD aka... 2011/09/13 18:08:32
    pjwinkler65
    +1
    Not in 1935 it wasn't. The popular believe then was that corporal punishment in school was fine and so excessive is not a term that would have been associated with punishment for disobeying the rules. Besides, I wasn't even born yet, she might be full of bologna..lol
    I came along late in my ma's life (44) and they were all born in her youth. My siblings all had children of their own before I was born so when they tell me stories of the old days I dont have any frame of reference other than what they tell me.
    They were poor I guess too. When I was little my mom shopped at the market, when they were little apparently they farmed themselves and went to bed hungry more often than not.
    Times were different then and are not really subject to current popular opinion. It was what it was.

2014/11/28 17:07:22