Growing: For Idiots

Scott ヶBrony Of PHAETヶ 2010/03/07 15:12:30

Atheism is growing, personally I think that's grand but lets look shall we?

◘Safest country's in the world have a positive correlation with Atheism.
◘Education and Intelligence have a healthy correlation with Atheism.
◘Atheists are less likely to commit a crime and less likely to divorce.
Yet we are still evil, immoral and the bad guy?

healthy correlation atheism atheists commit crime divorce evil immoral guy

Spastics of USA
This is the one most people on this site will be interested in:-
◘1990 the non-religious came up to about 7.5% of the American population
◘2001, 13.2%
◘2008, 16.1%
(Pew forum on religious and public life)

Among Americans ages between 18-29 one-four say they are not currently effected or drawn to any particular religion.

religious public life americans ages 18-29 one-four effected drawn religion

EU25 statics
This might come as a shocker to some people but 48% of Europe in 2008 did not believe in a God and 56% of Europe aged between 15-24 does NOT believe in a God/s.

In my motherland, 74% of people in 2008 did not believe in a personal God. Also three in four children at school do not believe in a god in the UK.

Is religion necessary for a Healthy society...I can already predicted what some RWNJ's will say here so please don't bother.

However: High levels or atheism appears to go with high levels of societal health, such as low homicide rates, low poverty rates, low infant morality rates and low illiteracy rates, which to me is a good thing. Also high levels of education attainment (per capita income) and gender equality which is again a good thing..or am I wrong?

rates high levels education attainment capita income gender equality wrong

Psalm 14
The fool says in his heart
"there is no god"
They are corrupt, their deeds are vile.

As you can plainly see, the bible is way off and statistically wrong...the best kind of wrong in this situation.

Religion Divorce Rate
Jewish 30%
Born-again Christians 27%
Other Christians 24%
Atheists & Agnostics 21%

◘Atheism is growing (3 times as many people losing their faith than gaining a faith)

21 atheism growing 3 times people losing faith gaining faith

• Charlie 2010/03/21 01:43:19
    Charlie
    I sure would like to see atheism grow. I don't ever see religion ever going away though.
    It is hard to believe there are people convinced a god is looking down on us watching every move we make.What is sad about religion is a case like this one.
  • Isma'ila (God has heard)! 2010/03/18 05:25:39
    Isma'ila (God has heard)!
    Atheism is not a good thing! Christians need to pray for all the atheists to repent and accept Jesus as their Savior!
  • Scott ヶ... Isma'il... 2010/03/18 13:55:55
    Scott ヶBrony Of PHAETヶ
    How is atheism a bad thing?
  • Isma'il... Scott ヶ... 2010/03/18 19:57:17
    Isma'ila (God has heard)!
    Atheists do not know Jesus as their Lord and Savior!
  • MaximeF... Isma'il... 2010/04/22 03:22:00
    MaximeFournier
    +3
    You mean the same Jesus that did not answered the prayers and letted an 11 years old girl die?
  • Isma'il... MaximeF... 2010/04/22 03:34:06
    Isma'ila (God has heard)!
    We do not have the right to blame Jesus for anything!
  • Redtiger Isma'il... 2011/03/21 05:51:00
    Redtiger
    +2
    I respect your religious opinion, but if fairly sure I have the right to blame Jesus and God for their stupidity. I mean if they are truly figures to worship then I'm sure we have the right to judge them.
  • "SennaKoshiba" 2010/03/18 04:44:12
    "SennaKoshiba"
    +1
    Atheism is truly something for people to consider without all the bible bias that they get from their parents, community or the people around them.
  • ♥ Lady Darkness ♥ 2010/03/14 20:53:42
    ♥ Lady Darkness ♥
    +1
    lol loving the sight of the religious freaks squirming on this poll
  • Honest ♥ Lady ... 2010/03/18 13:25:14 (edited)
    Honest
    I am a Christian, but I do not consider myself to be a "religious freak."

And I do find a major premise of this poll to be more than a little shaky.

"High levels or atheism appears to go with high levels of societal health, such as low homicide rates, low poverty rates, low infant morality rates and low illiteracy rates, which to me is a good thing. Also high levels of education attainment (per capita income) and gender equality which is again a good thing."

Really??

Let's see now . . . the USSR did not tolerate Religion, and promoted "high levels of atheism."

. . . Do you think the USSR was "good thing?"

It's funny how many people tried to get out of there.
  • ♥ Lady ... Honest 2010/03/20 21:53:57
    ♥ Lady Darkness ♥
    +1
    Excuse you but I am not in the USSR. Good luck in what ever point you are trying to make here.
  • micahjava ♥ Lady ... 2011/10/05 05:20:16
    micahjava
    +2
    I am just wondering why a religious person would actually read this article...
  • z-Madness-z 2010/03/10 04:05:58
    z-Madness-z
    +1
    It's because religion is so confusing (to me, anyway)! It says one thing, but it says something else completely for/against the idea of the other thing. At least science is honest about not being 100% sure. Hence the word "theory".

Either refresh the Bible, or people are going to lose interest.
  • ETpro 2010/03/09 05:46:45
    ETpro
    +2
    God grant me the patience to deal with all these atheists...

God... GOD??? I'm waiting!!!
  • Bastion 2010/03/08 15:07:21
  • nightowlhoot3 2010/03/08 10:18:10
    nightowlhoot3
    +4
    Who is more honorable: A person who "does good" because they just believe it's the "right" thing to do, or the one who so does because they believe there will be some eternal post-life "payback" for their good deed? Isn't the latter less charitable, and really more engaged in "bartering" than "giving"? The same holds for the person "afraid" of God's wrath as opposed to having an internal gauge which tells one something in inherently "wrong" and so doesn't do it. Ethical/moral are not synonymous with religious.
  • (:¡Nick!:) nightow... 2010/03/09 01:32:09
    (:¡Nick!:)
    +1
    That's the very same argument I like to use a lot against theists. Did you steal that from me? Lol jking.
    I'm Pagan / Native American
  • Zach 2010/03/08 04:07:07
    Zach
    +1
    I'm something closer to an agnostic and I only have a problem with fundamentalists of any religion. Fundamentalists tend to believe what they believe because they want to look down on other people. Unfortunately, I have known some fundamentalists Atheists too. (Far fewer though) No matter what I just hate getting talked down to like I'm stupid because I believe (or not believe) the same thing as someone else. I just don't think believing in (or not believing in) anything makes anyone more or less likely to be ethical.
  • iralarry Zach 2010/03/14 18:03:41
    iralarry
    Surprised you received no raves for your comment, esp the last line. What then would make someone more or less ethical, in your opinion?

People exhibit and act in ways based on something they adhere to or believe in. Being good, kind and compassionate comes from something. SO does being ruthless and cruel. It is learned more or less in my opinion. I do not think there is anything ethical in human beings that is not inculcated or ingrained via parenting or social pressure/laws, etc
  • Zach iralarry 2010/03/17 01:51:06
    Zach
    I think most good comes from culture, and yes, the way a person is raised. I think religion can be a big part of that. I think most calculated evil comes from culture too and can sometimes be a matter of perspective. Is a person a ruthless invader or a liberator? Is someone being pressured to steal or to kill because they don't see the victims as equals, or even people?

I think what makes someone more ethical is setting educated standards and goals for one's self and then trying to live up to them.
  • micahjava Zach 2011/10/05 05:23:34
    micahjava
    +1
    That is so true! I've known atheists who were more annoying than fundamentalist Christians.
  • Honest 2010/03/08 03:29:19
    Honest
    +4
    Well . . . I am a Christian.

And I think one reason so many people are turning away from Christianity is because of the actions of so many people who proudly proclaim themselves to be Christians while simultaneously doing dirty, nasty, underhanded things. A lot of self-proclaimed Christians can act pretty mean and petty. And they are horrible role models. When a rational human being sees them act the way they do, they just want to stay clear of them.

Just look at all the self-proclaimed "Christians Conservatives" right here on Soda Head who incessantly make up huge lies and then believe them. At best, they are disingenuous. They rant and lie and lie and sneer at the idea of providing for the needy. They act in ways completely UN-Christian.

A lot of them really disgust me.
  • Scott ヶ... Honest 2010/03/08 03:30:49
  • "SennaK... Honest 2010/03/18 04:49:20
    "SennaKoshiba"
    I like you now. You obviously know about the hypocrisies of some Self-Proclaimed Christian figure-heads, and are able to frown upon such disgusting behavior. =D
  • :P 2010/03/08 02:08:48
  • Octoberwolf 2010/03/08 01:40:10
    Octoberwolf
    what do you tell an athiest when he sneezes?? A. God bless you or B. When you die, nothing happens.?
  • Scott ヶ... October... 2010/03/08 01:41:26
  • micahjava October... 2011/10/05 05:25:47
    micahjava
    +3
    You say "science you"...
  • Brightsprite62 2010/03/08 00:27:07
    Brightsprite62
    You and others like you prove more and more every day that the events John the Revelator spoke of in Revelations are coming to pass. So I say Praise the Lord. I know my home coming will be soon. Then You can have the world and throw yourselves a big 31/2 year party. That's about how long it will take for your glorious Leader whoever he may be to show his true colors. Then tell me being an Atheist was worth it. Oh wait, You can't, I wont be here.
  • October... Brights... 2010/03/13 14:52:14
    Octoberwolf
    The bible is straightforward and simple. Right? thou shalt not kill.. thou shalt not committ adultry? back up.. thou shalt not kill... your Gods law. the same god that tells u to take up arms and slaughter them all..??? wow, he can change his mind on a whim. Maybe he will change his mind and decide you dont get to go to heaven. maybe he will say only athiests can, so that he can prove he is real. WTF, its just stupid
  • Brights... October... 2010/03/13 19:43:29
    Brightsprite62
    There is a difference between fighting in a war and killing, and killing for one of any number of reasons Passion, premeditated, war is a factor of life. God taught David war at his own hand. I'm not God. I don't claim to know his mind. There is a difference. I may never be able to eloquently state the differences but then I don't need to.
  • October... Brights... 2010/03/16 08:41:43
    Octoberwolf
    +1
    you mean, you don't want to even try to figure it out. you just blindly follow the writers of books that contradict. If Stephen King were to write a book like this we would all have to say, he needs to quit cause he just aint makin any sense anymore.
  • micahjava October... 2011/10/05 05:30:41
    micahjava
    +2
    I totally agree!
  • "SennaK... Brights... 2010/03/18 05:18:20
    "SennaKoshiba"
    I won't pester you about what you believe in, neither will I undermine your right to believe it, but when you ridicule my own beliefs, I think it's a good reason to take some appropriate action.

The hypocrisies that the religious have shown throughout the centuries, has piled up to a staggering amount. Also, many of the religious community have shed light on these hypocrisies even here on SH. So I ask you; Why do you believe in your religion? Is it because you can't deal with life's problems without an explanation for WHY it happens? Were you forced to integrate yourself into the religious community by the influence of your parents? Do you believe in God and, "do good" to atone for some past mistake? Is it because you want to believe that, "bad people" go to a, "bad place", maybe because something happened in your past that made you want to believe that the bad guy will get something coming to him? Do you believe in God simply because you wanted to feel like you were a part of something bigger? Do you believe in what you do because you want to have people to help bully others whose beliefs differ from that of you and your, "friends"? Is it because you use religion as a shield or method in which to attack others? Or is it because you want to believe that you're able to look down...

The hypocrisies that the religious have shown throughout the centuries, has piled up to a staggering amount. Also, many of the religious community have shed light on these hypocrisies even here on SH. So I ask you; Why do you believe in your religion? Is it because you can't deal with life's problems without an explanation for WHY it happens? Were you forced to integrate yourself into the religious community by the influence of your parents? Do you believe in God and, "do good" to atone for some past mistake? Is it because you want to believe that, "bad people" go to a, "bad place", maybe because something happened in your past that made you want to believe that the bad guy will get something coming to him? Do you believe in God simply because you wanted to feel like you were a part of something bigger? Do you believe in what you do because you want to have people to help bully others whose beliefs differ from that of you and your, "friends"? Is it because you use religion as a shield or method in which to attack others? Or is it because you want to believe that you're able to look down upon non-believers and laugh at your idea of their ignorance? Wow, if any of these are true, you seriously need some help, and/or segregation from the religious community...

You should also be aware of the fact that religion is basically a crutch in which many are able to throw their ideas at people, look down upon others, and essentially take over the world by using their religion, because the can say it's justified by their religion. That's what the Crusaders did, I wouldn't be too surprised if it happened again. And honestly, you shouldn't undermine others beliefs simply because you've been bullied in the past by people who happen to be Atheists.
  • micahjava Brights... 2011/10/05 05:29:22
    micahjava
    +3
    You really need to shut up lady! If you don't agree with what an article is saying, then don't read it. You shouldn't tell us that we are going to go to an imaginary hell that we don't even believe in. What you just said is like saying "If you don't believe in Jesus, then Santa won't give you presents"!
  • deedee 2010/03/07 22:58:16
    deedee
    +1
    athiests have no soul
  • Scott ヶ... deedee 2010/03/07 23:06:24
    Scott ヶBrony Of PHAETヶ
    +1
    That's becuase we are already higher beings.
  • deedee Scott ヶ... 2010/03/07 23:15:50
    deedee
    no lower than ants asses
  • Scott ヶ... deedee 2010/03/07 23:17:15
    Scott ヶBrony Of PHAETヶ
    Ants have donkeys? (inside joke)

So you don't believe in equal rights and fairness?

2014/07/30 09:11:42