Governor Perry: Texas won't expand Medicaid

Prairie Wind 2012/07/09 16:46:29
Pro
Nay
Other

Texas Gov. Rick Perry said Monday his state won't expand Medicaid or set up an insurance exchange, joining a growing number of Republican governors who are rejecting two key parts of President Obama's health care law.

I will not be party to socializing health care and bankrupting my state in direct contradiction to our Constitution and our founding principles of limited government," Mr. Perry said.

He joins more than half-dozen GOP governors who have already said they won't increase the size of their Medicaid programs to cover Americans up to 133 percent of the poverty level, after the Supreme Court upheld most of the law last month but said states could opt out of the Medicaid expansion.

"I stand proudly with the growing chorus of governors who reject the Obamacare power grab," Mr. Perry said. "Neither a 'state' exchange nor the expansion of Medicaid under this program would result in better 'patient protection' or in more 'affordable care.' They would only make Texas a mere appendage of the federal government when it comes to health care."

Under the court's decision, states can still collect all of their existing Medicaid funding even if they don't expand their programs to cover Americans up to 133 percent of the federal poverty level. But if they don't set up exchanges, the law allows the federal government to step in and run them.

Texas Governor Perry's decision is in addition to that of Florida Governor Rick Scott's and Nebraska, Iowa, Louisiana, Mississippi and South Carolina decisions to not expand Medicaid.

p.s. Obama recognized and just announced he will continue the Bush "tax cuts", which would increase tax levels if not extended, back to the Clinton pesidency. Did the "kettle" just get called black?

UPDATE: Sodahead Lightnight Poll Results ... It's extensive ... http://www.sodahead.com/united-states/governor-perry-texas-wo...

Read More: http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/inside-politic...

• No nonsense NanC...don't BS... 2012/07/09 17:02:34
    Pro
    No nonsense NanC...don't BS me!
    +12
    I am certain that all Republican govs. will do the same now that the SCOTUS
    has ruled it unconstitutional. I would bet that maybe NY Gov Cuomo will do
    likewise since he seems to be taking the Gov Walker approach to state
    financing. But you can bet ole Ca Gov Brown will do it. His state is
    so bankrupt, and his citizens voted for an entitlement society; so they don't
    care if they go broke. I would just imagine more companies will leave the
    state for a right to work state, and Ca will sink into the Pacific with its overload
    of debt.

• ☆stillthe12c☆ 2012/08/07 01:09:30
    Pro
    ☆stillthe12c☆
    +1
    There are a few Democratic Governors that have said no as well.
  • JoeM~PWCM~JLA 2012/07/13 22:02:23
    Pro
    JoeM~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    This legislation needs to be stopped any way possible.
  • Seriously Folks 2012/07/12 01:06:33 (edited)
    Other
    Seriously Folks
    +3
    Rick Perry is an IDIOT. It will be interesting to see him tell his State people, to JUST GO AHEAD AND DIE, I don't give a DAMN about the Poor, and Children. I HATE Obama More.

I want to eliminate the Real History in The Text Books. I want to get rid of the Department of Education, Energy, while I am at it SUPPRESS YOUR VOTE.

As Governor of Texas, I, Rick Perry, would like to SECEDE from the Union and make Texas its own Country.

Good People OF Texas, Did I or Did I not Represent you WELL in the Presidential Debates before you picked Romney?
  • Prairie... Serious... 2012/07/12 03:51:39
    Prairie Wind
    +1
    A baby troll!
  • Giantfan Serious... 2012/07/15 14:08:25
    Giantfan
    +2
    I love that last line you stated. LOL
  • Giantfan 2012/07/12 00:43:36
    Nay
    Giantfan
    +1
    He has his own insurance paid for buy the residents of his state. Why should he return the favor even with a much worse and cheaper insurance. Compassionate conservatism at it's best.
  • Mark 2012/07/11 19:24:32
    Other
    Mark
    +1
    Perry is a false con$ervative , not suprised = keep eliminating the middle class .
  • Prairie... Mark 2012/07/11 20:44:22
    Prairie Wind
    How? Why?
  • Mark Prairie... 2012/07/12 21:46:06
    Mark
    For 1 , only wanted to feed the 2% , if he got in office .
  • Prairie... Mark 2012/07/13 02:18:13
    Prairie Wind
    Ok, you have an opinion, now, can you factually support your opinion with referenced sources for consideration of either agreement or opposing opinion?
  • Mark Prairie... 2012/07/13 21:37:04
    Mark
    +1
    Will never vote for a false con$ervatve .

Those in the end times that will be able to buy or sell , will be the false con$ervatives ,... because they will of eliminated the middle class .

Romney is a CULTist = a false con$ervative ,... if he gets in , he will return everything to the Bush Jr. mentality = ONLY feed the 2% , with the 98 %'s money .

Rubio had a finacial scam going , which as soon as he got his money , he quickly closed it down before the Feds caught on ;
    Rick Scott , found guilty of a billion dollar Health Insurance fraud , and yet the sottish voted him in anyway = Republican doesn't mean Christian people .
  • Prairie... Mark 2012/07/13 21:45:24
    Prairie Wind
    Last chance --- You have an opinion, now, can you factually support your opinion with referenced sources for consideration of either agreement or opposing opinion?
  • Mark Prairie... 2012/07/19 13:38:05
    Mark
    Ya have to visit a library ,... and while your there , look up the final report on what the false con$ervtives did & why , to get our military folks killed at Pearl Harbor (I'll give ya a hint - it is impossible to invade an island out in the middle of an ocean , w/ WWll class aircraft , except for what they did / arranged ) - same thing happened on 9-11 (reason why / for whom to finacially benefit that is , no conspiracy as we've seen on internet w/ explosives planted = bull ), just the same thing as P.H.
  • Prairie... Mark 2012/08/07 02:39:12
    Prairie Wind
    This is just like a Harry Reid accusation!

Either present your facts or continue to fizzle..
  • Paige 2012/07/11 03:40:40
    Other
    Paige
    +2
    Perry should do us all a favor and Secede. That state has the most people without health care than any other state. Between there revising history and Intelligent design they just need to do us all a favor and go away.
  • Prairie... Paige 2012/07/11 03:47:27
    Prairie Wind
    Less money to support you then?
  • Giantfan Paige 2012/07/12 00:46:18
    Giantfan
    +1
    I like your style. Direct, factual and right to the point. Congrats....
  • Prairie... Giantfan 2012/07/12 04:01:45
    Prairie Wind
    Facts and unsupported opinion to present a progressive interest are more apparent in either posting. Perhaps recognize the money to support the Obama Care you desire won't come from Texas, but from you?
  • Giantfan Prairie... 2012/07/12 04:07:29
    Giantfan
    +1
    Guess what Prairie, I care more about the welfare of people than I do about money. I don't give a damn about shelfish uncareing people so I don't really give a crap about your opinions.
  • Prairie... Giantfan 2012/07/12 04:13:24
    Prairie Wind
    Now you amuse me.
  • Giantfan Prairie... 2012/07/12 14:21:12
    Giantfan
    +1
    I can only come to a conclusion about you by what you write. If I get the wrong impression that's your fault.
    Now if the money that helps expand the medicaid program to help people in Texas comes from my taxes that's fine with me at least it's going to a worthy cause not like the $4 billion in tax dollars going to the oil companies. They don't need it but the uninsures poor need it.. That is the difference between the two of us. Your willing to let the government take your taxes and give them to multi billion dollar companies but not to help someone who really could use the help.
  • Prairie... Giantfan 2012/07/12 18:23:26
    Prairie Wind
    "Expecting to extend quality health care access to millions of Americans by pressing them into the existing Medicaid system is a little like expecting to win the Indy 500 in a 1965 Chevy Corvair. It’s just not the right tool for the job."

"A fundamental flaw in the Obama administration’s government health care plan is that Medicaid is already on the brink of failure. Dumping millions more people into the Medicaid mix will not save it, will not cut any costs and will not improve overall access to quality care."

"In Texas, we have no interest in following the federal directive to expand our Medicaid ranks by more than 1 million, and we also are rejecting calls to establish a so-called “state” insurance exchange designed and ruled by federal guidelines, many of which have yet to be written. Neither of these is the proper role of the federal government and both represent brazen intrusions into the affairs of states."

"While some will complain we will be turning down a lot of “federal money” covering short-term Medicaid expansion, they ignore two important truths. First, this “federal money” is being printed out of thin air - racking up trillions of dollars of debt on the backs of our children and grandchildren. Second, this money will run out, and then we will be faced with ...

"While some will complain we will be turning down a lot of “federal money” covering short-term Medicaid expansion, they ignore two important truths. First, this “federal money” is being printed out of thin air - racking up trillions of dollars of debt on the backs of our children and grandchildren. Second, this money will run out, and then we will be faced with mounting state costs and millions more people on public health rolls."

"Meanwhile, states are already facing skyrocketing Medicaid costs that threaten our future and crowd out other funding needs, such as public schools and public safety. In Texas, Medicaid already consumes more than 20 percent of the state’s general revenue budget, with that percentage threatening to jump dramatically in the coming budget cycle, even without Obamacare’s Medicaid expansion."

"While Texas is actually better prepared than most states to weather the economic ravages brought on by Obamacare, even our economic health would be gravely threatened. Expanding Medicaid like this is a fast track to bankruptcy for state governments all across our country."

"The single best thing we can do to increase access to care is to lower costs through reforms that promote competition. But to provide a safety net for those who need it, we can prevent Medicaid from crushing federal and state budgets by sending Medicaid funds to states in the form of block grants and unleashing the power of state innovation and creativity. This would replace the existing “one size fits all” model with an innovative, flexible form that reinforces individual responsibility, eliminates duplication, controls costs and places the focus squarely on quality health care outcomes, where it belongs."

"Of course, the key to making this work would be giving states wide latitude in the development of service delivery systems and allowing for state rate-setting, freeing them to pursue locally appropriate solutions to the particular challenges posed by their unique populations."

"Some states might move to a quality-based payment system that pays based on outcomes, not on volume. Others likely would offer Medicaid recipients premium support to purchase private insurance to reduce the reliance on the government system."

"These are only a few ideas for real reform, but the fact that the current administration would bypass state-based innovation and efficiency to balloon a financially troubled entitlement program like Medicaid speaks volumes about how we got into the mess that is Obamacare in the first place."

"I look forward to the day when we get past Washington’s ill-fated detour into federal command and control - jamming mandates down the throats of the American people - and return to the business of providing real health care reform. This can be accomplished only through reliance on personal responsibility, free markets and utilizing the 50 state laboratories of innovation envisioned by our Founders and reinforced by the 10th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution." ~ Rick Perry

http://www.washingtontimes.co...

Perhaps you should concentrate on Pennsylvania, rather than attack Texas for their decisions?
  • Giantfan Prairie... 2012/07/12 19:14:35
  • Prairie... Giantfan 2012/07/12 19:20:59
    Prairie Wind
    You're telling me you have a tough life without your pacifier? Address the cause of the problem of expecting others to do what you can do for yourself. Man up, life's not free.
  • Giantfan Prairie... 2012/07/12 19:33:55
    Giantfan
    +1
    I'm telling you you have the ability of a piece of dirt to figure things out. It's always every man for themselves with you. So patheticly simple minded is what you are. I could get more logical answers from a preschooler than I could from you.
  • Prairie... Giantfan 2012/07/12 19:46:06
    Prairie Wind
    Where in our Constitution is there an obligation to support you? You have a problem with me being willing to be responsible for myself and the consequences of my own actions without being dependent upon our Government, other than for National protection.

You expect to be coddled and I'm not going to pay to spoon feed you.
  • Giantfan Prairie... 2012/07/12 19:56:05
    Giantfan
    Where in the constitution does it say we are to give corporations welfare?
    I have no problem with anyone taking personal responsability. I have a problem with using that as an excuse to hurt or not help others in need.
  • Prairie... Giantfan 2012/07/12 20:09:27
    Prairie Wind
    +1
    Perhaps this is an opportunity for you to create your own posting and ask this question while providing the facts you feel support your supposition? Just think, that would be your first posting of an inquiry!

That will give all an opportunity for fair debate. Nice Firebird!
  • Giantfan Prairie... 2012/07/13 04:05:47
    Giantfan
    Thanks but I liked my 67 LaMans better but I liked the 77 Trans Am better than the 68 Camaro convertable but now I drive a Hyundai Elantra. Oh youth and nice cars are really wasted on the young....
  • jim 2012/07/10 17:43:33
    Nay
    jim
    If he got rid of the illegals he'd have more than enough money.
  • Prairie... jim 2012/07/10 18:31:44
    Prairie Wind
    Bingo! A Troll!
  • jim Prairie... 2012/07/11 18:44:45
    jim
    Too dumb to see another path? The task is to provide uninsured Americans health care.
  • Prairie... jim 2012/07/11 20:47:30
    Prairie Wind
    Support your position with a researchable resource. Present the numbers, especially the cost of taxes to provide this bill.
  • elijahin24 2012/07/10 15:51:43
    Nay
    elijahin24
    +3
    This hick is a twit of the highest order. Guess what, Rick: You aren't a president. Texas IS still part of the United States. If you want out, go ahead. We'll be much better off without you, anyway.
  • Bevos 2012/07/10 13:25:27
    Pro
    Bevos
    +2
    I agree with Perry. And all states that don't want Obamacare, should follow suit. I am contacting my Governor today.
  • jimmy Bevos 2012/07/10 13:54:44
    jimmy
    +1
    florida's governor also no to obamacare
  • Bevos jimmy 2012/07/10 14:02:38
    Bevos
    +2
    GOOD for him. If enough Governors grow some cajones, maybe the DEms will get the message. WE DON"T WANT OBAMACARE!!!
  • jimmy Bevos 2012/07/11 13:44:25
    jimmy
    +1
    the problem is the demoasses never well get the message
  • Bevos jimmy 2012/07/12 16:24:43
    Bevos
    +2
    They will when they no longer get their checks every month.
  • jimmy Bevos 2012/07/13 13:13:02
    jimmy
    +1
    that's for sure

2014/10/20 21:16:47