Governor Chris Christie Says He May Reschedule Halloween in New Jersey After Hurricane Sandy: Smart Idea or Boo?

Fef 2012/10/30 18:00:00
Smart Idea
Boo
New Jersey Governor Chris Christie considered rescheduling Halloween in reaction to Hurricane Sandy's devastation and potential safety hazards for children. @GovChristie tweeted: If conditions are not safe on Wednesday for Trick or Treating, I will sign an Executive Order rescheduling #Halloween.
christie halloween tweet

MYFOXNY.COM reports:
Trick or Treating may have to wait in New Jersey.

Read More: http://www.myfoxny.com/story/19947963/gov-christie...

• Dave 007 2012/11/18 15:28:17
    Smart Idea
    Dave 007
    Just do it.
  • flrdsgns 2012/11/04 05:32:29
    Boo
    flrdsgns
    ha, good luck with that
  • sharon 2012/11/03 02:27:13
    Boo
    sharon
    +1
    I think this postponing Halloween is bogus , we just went through a crisis here and suffering !! a lot of people still without electric , searching for gas , food etc. ... a lot of people out of jobs !!! people lost their homes !!!! maybe what we all should do is teach the children to take the candy to the homeless !!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • T-dub 2012/11/02 18:18:46
    Boo
    T-dub
    Who cares!
  • Ejayt7 2012/11/01 22:15:19
    Smart Idea
    Ejayt7
    Yes, while he at it, he can reschdule and reduce his meals.
  • El Prez 2012/11/01 22:06:29
    Boo
    El Prez
    +3
    Maybe a nice idea but stupid. It is gone, like all moments.
  • MS PRUD 2012/11/01 20:59:54
    Boo
    MS PRUD
    +4
    They have a lot more to worry about than Halloween - could Christie reschedule Christmas or Thanksgiving - I do not think so. DUHHH
  • Jarod Kochman 2012/11/01 18:27:14
  • Jackie 2012/11/01 17:28:07
    Boo
    Jackie
    +4
    I would think people there have more to worry abut than Trick or Treating. So, if he reschedules it, parts of NJ probably already did it and parts didn't. How would you know if you have to restock candy for the kids because some will have already done it and some won't have. Some people probably ate the candy since they were hungry and couldn't get out to get food.
  • Myagooshki 2012/11/01 15:50:45
    Smart Idea
    Myagooshki
    +1
    Chris Christie doesn't seem so awful. He forced Rutgers to shut down classes this week when we were going to be forced to have them anyway, he raised one of my Pell Grants 1,000 dollars, and he even reschedules Halloween.
  • Denai~*~Game of Thrones Fan 2012/11/01 15:09:57
    Smart Idea
    Denai~*~Game of Thrones Fan
    +2
    Governor Christie, I sure do like the man's style! In your face and not afraid of a discussion!
  • ehrhornp 2012/11/01 14:49:42
    Smart Idea
    ehrhornp
    +1
    I think the choice had to be reschedule or just cancel. It was way to hazardous to allow children to wonder dark streets last night. Between down power lines and flooding, only logical thing would be to try to reschedule it.
  • twocrows 2012/11/01 14:40:26
    Smart Idea
    twocrows
    disappointed children would be nagging their parents to let them go out even though things might not be safe. kids don't think about safety - they think about candy.

and some parents might get fed up with the whining and let them go. and someone could be harmed or killed out there.

yes to candy. no to the danger of coming in contact with a downed wire.
  • sharon twocrows 2012/11/03 17:20:55
    sharon
    +2
    who is in control ? the kids or parents? maybe it would be a valuable lesson to let the kids give the candy to the homeless and don't worry about trick or treating this year.... too many people have a crisis going on here!!!! children are way too spoiled here !!!!!!
  • dan 2012/11/01 14:35:32
    Smart Idea
    dan
    +2
    YOU MEAN HE HAD A GOOD IDEA FOR ONCE
  • Flamingolady 2012/11/01 13:22:20
    Smart Idea
    Flamingolady
    +2
    For the children, it should be.
  • Meng 2012/11/01 12:31:12
    Smart Idea
    Meng
    +1
    Christie could use a break from all the candy and junkfood. Maybe he should reschedule his meals to only 8 a day.
  • Archer ~ The Limit Break of... 2012/11/01 11:30:27
    Smart Idea
    Archer ~ The Limit Break of PHAET
    +3
    He did reschedule. Our Halloween is Monday. And it was a good idea. I don't like Christie typically, but his handling of this storm and the aftermath was incredible. Credit due where credit due.

Kids don't need to be walking around where houses are damaged (even in my area, which wasn't hit as bad as some), or some streets are still flooded, or power lines are still down. They deserve a REAL Halloween, where they can have fun. By Monday, we should be mostly cleaned up, and the kids can enjoy themselves again.
  • jerry.alan.carroll 2012/11/01 08:56:20
    Boo
    jerry.alan.carroll
    +4
    just let Halloween go...it is already over.
  • Archer ... jerry.a... 2012/11/01 11:31:19
    Archer ~ The Limit Break of PHAET
    +1
    You want to tell all the little kids that Halloween is cancelled? be my guest and YOU can deal with the crying that ensues.
  • jerry.a... Archer ... 2012/11/02 09:36:57
    jerry.alan.carroll
    +2
    I cancelled halloween for my kids this year becuase they needed to study and they were hardly upset.....a bunch of spoiled brats would be crying......especially over candy. If they cry about it they deserve not to have Halloween.
  • Archer ... jerry.a... 2012/11/02 11:01:45
    Archer ~ The Limit Break of PHAET
    How old are your kids? The older ones don't need halloween. I'm talking the 5 and 6 year olds. What studying do they need? No - they need halloween.
  • jerry.a... Archer ... 2012/11/02 14:09:29
    jerry.alan.carroll
    Nobody needs Halloween...the rest of the world has done fine without it so far.
    However, this is MY opinion. I respect that you totally disagree.....so let us just agree to disagree on this one.
    BTW...mine are 9 and 12yrs old. my 12 year old stays up to 11pm almost everynight studying because she goes to a private school...my 9 year old studies for at least 3 hours everynight. Just no time for Halloween and we don't need all that junk food. Last year they went but I could tell they were starting to outgrow it. Of course I have raised my children to be a bit more mature than many others...so i expected that.
    i feel Halloween is just another way for people to overindulge...another reason americans are so fat. and it teaches children the wrong thing. I see kids running around with huge overfilled bags of candy....they don't need all that. halloween is nothing like it was in the late 70's early 80's.
  • PetiteG... jerry.a... 2012/11/05 13:37:52
    PetiteGreek56
    +2
    Having a good time dressing up on Halloween is NOT only about eating junk food and over indulging. do you celebrate Christmas and allow presents Or are your kids too mature for that also?
  • jerry.a... PetiteG... 2012/11/06 06:39:13
    jerry.alan.carroll
    only one present on christmas. not a dozen per child under the tree like many overindulgent americans do...thus the main reason for their credit card debt during the holidays. Christmas an extension of Thanksgiving for us...plus the gift. it is a time for family and being thankful for the things we have.
  • B_M_Anderson 2012/11/01 07:44:17 (edited)
    Boo
    B_M_Anderson
  • S123 B_M_And... 2012/11/01 16:01:13
    S123
    I think it looks like he actually said he would reschedule trick or treating not Halloween and I think that sounds like a good idea.
  • B_M_And... S123 2012/11/01 18:17:12
    B_M_Anderson
    +2
    To me there are more pressing matters to push by , Our Elected Leadership.. We are supporters of Sergeant Bowe Robert Bergdahl, United States Army (dob 28 March 1986) of Hailey, Idaho, who was captured in Afghanistan on 30 June 2009 by a Taliban allied Afghan insurgent group called the Haqqani Network. He remains in captivity while the Taliban attempts to barter with America for his life in an effort to further its militant agenda https://www.facebook.com/Bruc...
  • B_M_And... B_M_And... 2012/11/01 18:19:58
  • FlyGalsMom B_M_And... 2012/11/03 03:37:24
    FlyGalsMom
    +1
    I belong to the group on FB, dedicated to Bowe~
    I live in the borough of Staten Island one of the hardest hit areas of NYC~ and No one here let their kids go trick or treating~PPL simply told the kids that in view of the disaster it was not an option~ We had 5 CHUBBY kids show up AFTER dark with an adult with a flashlight and the kids were at LEAST 13 or 14 NO COSTUMES and paper bags for candy~
    I got really PO'd and said something to the supposed adult ~ That ppl were dying and losing everything and they were worried about candy~
    PPL were afraid to open their doors in the pitch dark because of looters and home invasions going on~ and these morons were screeching TRICK OR TREAT~ Since when is Halloween a HOLIDAY~ to the point of being more important than Thanksgiving
  • B_M_And... FlyGalsMom 2012/11/03 04:23:12
    B_M_Anderson
    Thank you for the reply!
  • wildbill 2012/11/01 06:42:20
    Smart Idea
    wildbill
    +2
    Trick or treating in demoslished neighborhoods and flooded streets is bad for kids.
  • Jim 2012/11/01 04:58:07
    Smart Idea
    Jim
    +3
    I believe this was done once before. Halloween is for the kids. It would be good for them to get a night out after this nightmare is cleaned up.
  • Sophie 2012/11/01 04:47:37
    Smart Idea
    Sophie
    +4
    I don't think that it's the best time to go trick or treating or get ready for halloween right after a horrific storm, I think that they need to focus on other things right now, I'm not saying that their shouldn't be a Halloween, but not when they have so much reconstructing to do, they have to figure out how to recover the damages, they shouldnt have to worry about an event right after an enormous storm
  • Leslie Goudy 2012/11/01 04:20:13
    Smart Idea
    Leslie Goudy
    +2
    Christie has gone up in my opinion since the disaster
  • Jesferkicks 2012/11/01 04:02:03
    Smart Idea
    Jesferkicks
    +1
    Whatever Christie does is alright with me. One of the smartest Governors I've seen in my lifetime.
  • Jim Jesferk... 2012/11/01 05:00:02
    Jim
    +1
    The last one was Tom Keane. He made a great governor.
  • Jesferk... Jim 2012/11/01 05:27:50 (edited)
    Jesferkicks
    Yeah, his second election was a landslide. I guess after that he was President of some college and later was appointed as head of the 9/11 commission which, btw, wasn't shy of stating that certain entities of the Fed were a little lax in the detection department. He kind of faded after than, he went into business mainly as a board of directors member of "whatever company" making over a half million a year but some of his business dealings caught the attention of the Feds, so I've heard. He was a little more left than Christie, understand he worked with the likes of President Clinton as well as many republicans but as far as I can tell, sneaky business dealings or not, he did well for the state. Think one of his sons also is in the political game.
  • Bill 2012/11/01 04:00:28
    Smart Idea
    Bill
    +2
    Yes, of course. With all of the massive destruction, and power outage, and water everywhere, they have more important problems to solve, than to worry about celebrating Halloween. Everyone would have to wade water to trick or treating.
  • Dy 2012/11/01 03:34:36
    Boo
    Dy
    +3
    Are we going to reschedule Christmas this year on the 20th because of the end of the world? It isn't safe to trade gifts when everyone is burning in an abyss where earth once was ;)

2014/04/24 23:42:33