GOP: You Can't Say "Uterus"

ProudProgressive 2011/04/01 17:50:18
Is there some sort of contest among the GOP to see who can come up with the dumbest statement possible? Or is it simply that geography, American History, and Constitutional Law weren't the only subjects that the GOP never studied in school?

Article excerpt follows:

Florida GOP: No Talk of Wombs on Statehouse Floor
Since when is it dirty to say "uterus?"

By Adam Weinstein | Thu Mar. 31, 2011 12:12 PM PDT

The Florida GOP offered us another precious moment today. From the St. Petersburg Times:

At one point [Rep. Scott Randolph, D-Orlando] suggested that his wife "incorporate her uterus" to stop Republicans from pushing measures that would restrict abortions. Republicans, after all, wouldn't want to further regulate a Florida business.

Apparently the GOP leadership of the House didn't like the one-liner.

They told Democrats that Randolph is not to discuss body parts on the House floor.

"The point was that Republicans are always talking about deregulation and big government," Randolph said Thursday. "And I always say their philosophy is small government for the big guy and big government for the little guy. And so, if my wife's uterus was incorporated or my friend's bedroom was incorporated, maybe they (Republicans) would be talking about deregulating.

"It's not like I used slang," said Randolph, who actually got the line from his wife.

Wait. Uterus? What's wrong with uterus? It's a pretty common medical/anatomical term, right? A House GOP spokeswoman explained that Randolph's comment lacked "decorum" and could pervert the kiddies:

...the Speaker believes it is important for all Members to be mindful of and respectful to visitors and guests, particularly the young pages and messengers who are seated in the chamber during debates. In the past, if the debate is going to contain language that would be considered inappropriate for children and other guests, the Speaker will make an announcement in advance, asking children and others who may be uncomfortable with the subject matter to leave the floor and gallery.

Read More: http://motherjones.com/mojo/2011/03/gop-cant-say-u...

• Gloria 2011/04/02 14:27:31
    Gloria
    If my husband has said that he would find his favorite blankie on the couchie. What's an incorporated uterus anyway?
  • outlaw 2011/04/02 13:53:17
    outlaw
    +1
    Another great post pointing out the utter uselessness of Republicans and their antiquated mind-set.
  • connie (in name only) BN-0 2011/04/01 21:29:23
    connie (in name only) BN-0
    +4
    Need I say more?

bob dole  got wood
  • ProudPr... connie ... 2011/04/01 21:30:22
  • Dark Knight 2011/04/01 17:55:41
    Dark Knight
    +1
    I like the condemnation by the Republicans - not because it makes any sense (because it really doesn't) - but, simply because it irritates The People with the Little Minds - the Liberals.

2014/12/18 23:12:22