GOP unnerved by Democrats' candid camera techniques

Quietman ~PWCM~JLA 2012/07/09 22:40:35

Politicians recognize they give up a degree of privacy when they run for office.

But Democrats are testing the outer limits of that understanding with a practice that raises questions about when campaign tracking becomes something more like stalking.

While most serious campaigns on both sides use campaign trackers — staffers whose job is to record on video every public appearance and statement by an opponent — House Democrats are taking it to another level. They’re now recording video of the homes of GOP congressmen and candidates and posting the raw footage on the Internet for all to see.

That ratcheting up of the video surveillance game is unnerving Republicans who insist that even by political standards, it’s a gross invasion of privacy. Worse, they say, it creates a safety risk for members of Congress and their families at a time when they are already on edge after a deranged gunman shot former Arizona Democratic Rep. Gabrielle Giffords 18 months ago.

Wisconsin GOP Rep. Reid Ribble, who said he’s also been followed by a cameraman when shopping for groceries, said the home videos cross a line.

“I feel it’s totally inappropriate,” said Ribble, a freshman facing a competitive race for reelection. “It was disturbing to me that they would put that online. I don’t understand any political benefit that can be achieved with that.”

In Ribble’s case, a clip of his northeastern Wisconsin home appeared online June 18. The soundless video — which lasts 38 seconds — is taken from a car sitting just outside the house. The shot pans across the large home, showing it from several different angles.

DeaNa Ribble, the congressman’s wife, said it is deeply unsettling.

“I’m more creeped out about this than Reid is, just because I’m home more,” she said. “If they so much as put a foot on private property, I will be the first person to call the police.”

Republicans whose homes have been videotaped say they understand that politics is a contact sport and that every public utterance they make is fair game. But, they argue, filming a home — and posting actual addresses — ought to be off-limits, if only out of respect for their families and neighbors

Read More: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0712/78217.html

• westernslope~PWCM~JLA 2012/07/28 00:41:58
    westernslope~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Over the line
  • texasred 2012/07/11 21:42:45
    texasred
    +1
    Is the the civility Obama was talking about?
  • ScottyG - Faqueue 2012/07/11 18:02:41
    ScottyG - Faqueue
    +1
    I guess they have nothing better to do. It seems their boi is a lost cause.
  • A Founding Father 2012/07/10 08:01:25
    A Founding Father
    Ohhhh so baddy for them. How many times have we seen the President's home, or the "Kennedy Compound"? I would like to see how well these elected live, including their
    extra homes in Aspen, Boca Raton, the Caribbean Islands and other exotic places. Why not?
  • S* 2012/07/10 07:15:34 (edited)
    S*
    i see no evidence that there is a political emphasis on the subjects, I am sure it is prevalent on all sides.
  • unicorn_lady1 2012/07/10 06:14:51
    unicorn_lady1
    +2
    "if only out of respect for their families and neighbors"

I guess they don't understand who they are running against? They need to read clowerd and piven
  • WhereIsAmerica? ~PWCM~JLA 2012/07/10 03:11:51
    WhereIsAmerica? ~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    That is going way too far, they should be upset.
  • Always Right 2012/07/10 00:37:41
    Always Right
    +2
    Liberals, anyway to win or embarrass!
    +2
    Always carry a good rock and throw it at their camera. Them grab a knife or fork and go after them
  • Red Branch 2012/07/10 00:09:25
    Red Branch
    +4
    Return in kind.
  • Walt 2012/07/09 23:14:37
    Walt
    +7
    This is where the anti-stalking laws that most states have come into play.

Freedom of Speech / Freedom of the Press is one thing. Stalking is not the same thing. Deliberately endangering people's lives by making their comings and goings, their habits and their residences public is illegal.
  • UGH...LIBS ~ PWCM ~ JLA ~ 2012/07/09 22:50:38
    UGH...LIBS ~ PWCM ~ JLA ~
    +9
    I'm surprised the Democrat campaign trackers don't have an escort of club-wielding New Black Panthers.

For "security," you understand.

2014/04/16 10:39:21