GOP should bow to voters' wishes; help Obama carry out recovery plans......What are the voters wishes?

BrianD3 2012/12/13 13:52:51
I wish Obama was gone......
I wish we had lower taxes....
I wish we had a flat tax.....
I wish we could balance our budget.....
I wish we had a budget......
I wish we didnt have so much debt......
I wish we had more personal freedoms.....
I wish we were more like Greece!
I wish we had cradle to grave entitlements.....
I wish I didnt have to work.......
I wish I had another beer.....
I wish that Pot was legalized......

WASHINGTON -- Despite conservative efforts to minimize the dimensions and meaning of President Obama's re-election, it is in fact a mandate that demands respect. At the same time, the novel Republican claim to a "counter-mandate" based on their holding onto a thin majority in the House of Representatives doesn't hold up.

Therefore, in the best political traditions of our country, and in the patriotic interest of getting things done again in Washington after four years of partisan gridlock, the GOP House leadership must finally begin to compromise and cooperate with the White House.

President Obama's triumph was a significant achievement. Recent history has made re-election seem like the norm, but fewer than half of our presidents have won two elections. President Obama's re-election margin of victory - in both the popular vote and Electoral College - was greater than his immediate predecessor, George W. Bush, who claimed a mandate with the enthusiastic approval of the same conservative voices now trying to deny one to the current president.

Meanwhile, House Republicans - while holding the majority - saw their ranks thinned, and in the aggregate received a million fewer votes than their Democratic opponents. Over in the Senate, Democrats expanded their majority in a year they were almost universally expected to lose it.

From the perspective of governing, what's more important than which candidates won is which ideas prevailed.

One reason President Obama beat the odds by winning re-election in the face of an unemployment rate near 8 percent - and Senate Democrats pulled off their electoral surprise - is that the American people liked their ideas for the future better than what was being offered by the Republicans.

Among those ideas are reducing our federal budget deficits through a balanced approach that includes higher taxes on the wealthy; reforming our broken immigration system in a way that recognizes the blameless and rewards good behavior; pursuing dynamic but thoughtful foreign and military policies; and extending the blessing of marriage to all loving couples.

On the fiscal front, House Republicans must drop their intransigent resistance to higher tax rates on our most fortunate households as part of an overall response to our national debt problem.

In deals struck last year, President Obama has already agreed to over a trillion dollars in spending cuts over the next decade. Now, the spirit of compromise requires that House Speaker John Boehner put a realistic revenue increase on the table.

The Republican plan to "close loopholes" would not raise enough money. Election Day polling found that 60 percent of Americans want higher taxes on the wealthy to be part of any "grand bargain" on the budget.

For both political and policy reasons, House Republicans have an incentive to replace their purely punitive approach to immigration with a constructive, comprehensive one.

A good place to start is with young undocumented immigrants, brought here by their parents and deeply woven into the American fabric. Giving them a chance to participate more fully in our society - through education and work - is a boon to them and to their adopted nation.

How to deal with our friends and adversaries across the globe, and how to expand marriage rights in a way that's sensitive to all elements of our society, are delicate topics that can only benefit from a GOP House working with, rather than resisting, a Democratic administration.

Every democracy needs a loyal opposition, and no one demands or desires a Republican House majority that accedes to every wish of the White House.

Out of ideological conflict can have better policy - but only if the ultimate aim is a compromise solution. The recent election results clearly indicate the American people want a GOP that doesn't reflexively work against our newly-re-elected president, but instead works in principled cooperation with him.

Read More: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/12/13/3963757/gop-s...

• All American 2012/12/13 14:10:28
    I wish Obama was gone......
    All American
    +7
    The people who voted for Obama were mostly one issue voters ( freebies, gay, immigrations, etc.) or clueless. Obama doesn't have a mandate to do as he pleases or he would own both the house and the senate.

• Christopher Kirchen 2012/12/19 22:23:22
    I wish Obama was gone......
    Christopher Kirchen
    and lower taxes, and not so much debt,
  • rbeas 2012/12/19 14:09:35
    I wish that Pot was legalized......
    rbeas
    With the revenue generated from it, the Republicans would not have to fund the wealthiest of Americans or assault as many old people like me.
  • BrianD3 rbeas 2012/12/19 14:11:04
    BrianD3
    fund the wealthy and assult you? how are you being assulted?
  • rbeas BrianD3 2012/12/19 14:30:55
    rbeas
    not yet, im just waiting
  • Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪ 2012/12/18 19:27:41
    I wish Obama was gone......
    Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪
    +1
    All but the Greece, entitlements and pot are good. I don't drink, but more beer is okay too.
  • gregory.brown.5030 2012/12/15 19:09:55
    I wish we had a flat tax.....
    gregory.brown.5030
    +1
    not a flat tax, but a fair tax. along with balanced budgets, term limits, and firm control over Congress. Maybe a mandate that any expenditure over say a million dollars must be approved by a 2/3s majority of all registered voters. Notice, I said registered, not just those who show up. If they don't vote, it counts as a negative.
  • Radlad 2012/12/15 14:06:08
    I wish we had a flat tax.....
    Radlad
    +1
    Some wishlist. He does not have a mandate. I have not heard the repugnantcans claiming to have a mandate. Not saying they didn't claim it and if they did I'd agree that it's pretty lame. I'd also believe that had America a better educated and informed populace romney would have won in a landslide I know, woulda, shoulda, coulda, and even the democrats expected romney to win. Why else would the senate majority leader go on tv and say there would be No cooperation with romney should he win. Would we still be hearing this garbage from you?
  • Jim 2012/12/14 20:50:12
    I wish Obama was gone......
    Jim
    +2
    Obama is the problem. He refuses to budge and wants the U.S. to fail and blame the Republicans for the failure.
  • Reggie☮ 2012/12/14 15:47:10
    I wish Obama was gone......
    Reggie☮
    +2
    He won by a small percentage so NO the GOP should not bow to what he and his percent want. NOT all of us want it. Just because SOME people follow him blindly doesn't make him right.
  • BrianD3 Reggie☮ 2012/12/17 12:56:27
    BrianD3
    +1
    I agree and the simple fact that the voters lect congress in GOP control demonstrates that they did not want Bakak to have a lot of freedom
  • XZQZQ 2012/12/14 11:52:20
    I wish we didnt have so much debt......
    XZQZQ
    +1
    I would love to see the current GOP establishment, RINOs-R-Us pushed aside, and conservatives take over the GOP..
  • Erok 2012/12/14 11:41:16
    I wish I had another beer.....
    Erok
    +1
    And I wish we didn't have so much debt and I wish Obama was gone and I wish pot was legalized and I wish we could balance our budget.
    I wish Obama was gone......
    +2
    Obama is bad.
  • TidBit 2012/12/14 06:09:03
    I wish Obama was gone......
    TidBit
    +3
    if Obama has his way, this will be a third world country very shortly.........
  • Lawnmowerman~PWCM~JLA 2012/12/14 03:06:58
    I wish Obama was gone......
    Lawnmowerman~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    ...like the majority of America. Too bad his fraud syndicate stole the election.
  • rbeas Lawnmow... 2012/12/14 04:29:42
    rbeas
    Fraud syndicate?
  • Jerry 2012/12/14 00:20:22
    I wish we could balance our budget.....
    Jerry
    +4
    Obama victory of a couple percentage points is no mandate. Republicans need to be the party of fiscal responsibility.
  • XZQZQ Jerry 2012/12/14 11:55:52 (edited)
    XZQZQ
    Sure, but the GOP establishment is just as much an ever-bigger-government party as the Dems.... notice, that neither party is even talking about downsizing the Federal government. According to Boehner, a ' balanced approach ' to our fiscal problems is to screw the upper income people who pay most of the taxes now, and screw the folks who have paid into SS / Medicare for 4 decades...
  • Jerry XZQZQ 2012/12/17 16:40:30
    Jerry
    +1
    Reid has failed to produce a budget in 4 years. Everything else is make believe and demogogery. Reid managed to keep anything substantive off te books until after the election. Well played party of transparency. Were screwed.
  • Matt M 2012/12/13 22:19:09
    I wish I had another beer.....
    Matt  M
    +3
    obama reelection was a signficant acheivement of...data management and use.

A mandate? Sorry, don't have those glasses on. Government is the problem. Bring on the cliff. I will loose more wealth than most obamites and frankly it will effect me less. The madness has to be stopped.

Leadership is not the same thing as narcissim. Frankly obama will never get it because the man is clinical.
  • eliosc 2012/12/13 20:19:58
    I wish Obama was gone......
    eliosc
    +4
    America has a debt problem, and a failure of leadership. Then Senator Barack Obama - March 16, 2006
  • L.A. woman 2012/12/13 19:54:38
    I wish Obama was gone......
    L.A. woman
    +3
    The GOP is the only thing standing between Obama and Armageddon. Don't cave!!!!
  • mac9 2012/12/13 19:43:26
    I wish Obama was gone......
    mac9
    +4
    He is ruining the country and wants all to be equal.....POOR.
  • Adakin Valorem~PWCM~JLA 2012/12/13 18:50:15
    I wish we could balance our budget.....
    Adakin Valorem~PWCM~JLA
  • Adakin ... Adakin ... 2012/12/13 19:32:48
    Adakin Valorem~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Neither Barry nor Mitt promised to actually balance the budget, they both only promised to REDUCE the deficit. All that does is ADD MORE DEBT to the existing pile of IOUs.

Only Gov. Gary Johnson promised to balance the budget within one term by rolling back spending across the board to 2004 levels.

That's the year when $2.5 Trillion in revenue (current tax income) would cover the Fed's $2.5 Trillion in spending.

If you think that in 2004, we had enough military defense, had enough entitlement spending, had enough social security pay-outs, had enough of everything the "Gummit" does... way back in 2004. Then you agree that we could balance the budget and begin paying down PRINCIPAL on our existing $16.3 TRILLION of debt.

Just remember this. For every BILLION DOLLARS of debt owed, the taxpayers need to shell out more than $20 million in interest payments to the Chinese and to other bond holders... EACH AND EVERY YEAR. That's $20 million that doesn't build a school, doesn't create a road or bridge or dredge a seaport or help create any jobs.

All it does is pay interest on the debt.

Elections have consequences.

road bridge dredge seaport create job pay debt elections consequences
  • clasact 2012/12/13 18:44:04
    I wish we had a flat tax.....
    clasact
    +2
    Some of what Obama want will help and is good but another stimulus is not and the GOP should stand firm on that but other areas they need to give a little
  • Adakin ... clasact 2012/12/13 18:55:52 (edited)
    Adakin Valorem~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Adoption of a 'flat tax' would be a good step, but passing HR-25, the FAIRTAX bill would be a far better tax reform. It would create jobs, and cut billions in wasted spending. http://www.fairtax.org/site/P...
  • BrianD3 Adakin ... 2012/12/17 12:58:21
    BrianD3
    I would prefer a flat tax, we are all supposed to be equal and any other tax structure does not treat people equally
  • Adakin ... BrianD3 2012/12/17 15:37:27
    Adakin Valorem~PWCM~JLA
    Brian, the FairTax IS a flat tax, just as the sales tax you now pay in our state of Florida. YOu and I pay the same flat rate as would Bill Gates or Warren Buffett as well as Buffett's secretary! You and I live here, but Gates, Buffett or anyone else buying something in Florida also pays the sales tax. The FairTax would do likewise, expanding the universe of taxpayers to include the millions of tourists that come to the U.S. (both legal and illegal :-) while providing a prebate feature that makes THIS sales tax a progressive tax system for legal residents.

Regarding equality: The only difference between a flat INCOME tax and a flat SALES tax is that with any income tax, your money is involuntarily SEIZED.

With the FairTax, your money voluntarily PAID when you choose to buy something subject to the tax.
    fairtax fairtax
  • Alacrity 2012/12/13 18:03:09
    I wish we didnt have so much debt......
    Alacrity
    +1
    The Republicans are responsible for so much of our debt--more than Democrats--the HOUSE is Republican controlled and that's where all spending and tax initiatives begin.
    The Democrats spend wisely for the people on MAIN STREET, NOT WALL STREET.
  • Surly C... Alacrity 2012/12/13 18:18:03
    Surly Curmudgen
    +3
    The Senate has not passed any bills submitted by the house since the Republicans took over two years ago, thereby absolving them of responsibility for any increase in debt since January 07
  • mich52 Surly C... 2012/12/13 18:46:29
  • Adakin ... mich52 2012/12/13 18:52:47
    Adakin Valorem~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    Mich, please refresh my slow brain... "ACA"?
  • mich52 Adakin ... 2012/12/13 19:18:21
  • Surly C... mich52 2012/12/13 18:56:05
    Surly Curmudgen
    +2
    It would be nice to have the budget passed. That the senate refuses to act on.
  • mich52 Surly C... 2012/12/13 19:21:25
  • Alacrity Surly C... 2013/03/23 20:47:08
    Alacrity
    saying what? that it absolves them? of what?
  • geegee 2012/12/13 17:58:04
    I wish Obama was gone......
    geegee
    +2
    I DO wish that Obama was gone .He doesn't care about any of us or the good of the country. He just wants to be King of the World. I do despise him !!!!
  • Surly Curmudgen 2012/12/13 17:52:49 (edited)
    I wish Obama was gone......
    Surly Curmudgen
    +3
    There is no mandate for Obama. There is a mandate against Obama when you consider that 80% of Americans voted for someone else or did not vote at all. The GOP has been trying to commit suicide for years, if they fail to cut spending and taxes they are dead. American wishes are clearly not with Obama.
  • hasher 2012/12/13 17:49:07
    I wish I had another beer.....
    hasher
    +2
    and for obama to be gone!!! but he drives me to drink!!1 lol

2014/08/21 00:32:02