Google's Self-Driving Vehicles Have Completed 300,000 Miles of Testing: Are Autonomous Cars the Next Big Thing?

thezilch 2012/08/07 22:00:00
Among other advances in world technology, the computer, internet, and smart phones come to mind. Are autonomous cars the next big thing?

Read More: http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2012/08/the-self-dr...

• Mrkando 2012/08/07 22:04:05
    Mrkando
    +5
    The complications of doing this in the real world are enormousness. With traffic the way it is in most city's adding to that mix cars that drive themselves would be disastrous.

On the other hand it may actually be safer than people that drive with a cell phone, texting or using a computer. :-)

• Kozmo Mr.Hood... 2012/08/10 07:47:34
    Kozmo
    Hasn't that already happened?
  • Mr.Hood... Kozmo 2012/08/10 11:43:48
    Mr.Hoodz the Truth Troll
    Insurance or the dumb part?
  • Kozmo Mr.Hood... 2012/08/10 16:25:03 (edited)
    Kozmo
    +1
    Bozo-Mania.
    Einstein was quoted that are two things in this Realm that are Infinite;
    1) the Universe [I disagree but that's another debate]
    2) HUMAN STUPIDITY. He should have got a 3rd Nobel Prize for that one.

When you set up sloppy No-Fault insurance everybody abdicates Responsibility, A Demolition Derby ensues, the Rates go up, then Everyone's blames the OTHER drivers Only (DENIAL).
  • Racefish 2012/08/09 16:08:53
    Racefish
    +2
    They can't think their way out of crash avoidance.
  • JCLadybug Racefish 2012/08/09 16:33:08
    JCLadybug
    +1
    These are probably better at avoiding crashes than people. Some cars even have parts of these ideas implemented: where a kid comes by and you can't see, but the car detects and breaks FOR you.
  • Racefish JCLadybug 2012/08/09 16:46:53
    Racefish
    Try it on black ice.
  • JCLadybug Racefish 2012/08/09 16:51:22
    JCLadybug
    +1
    If there is black ice, then you take control of the wheel. Simple. All of these cars have a manual function if you want to use it. In cases of snow and rain, I would recommend using it. However, they will probably make it where it responds better than people do. A lot of people don't know how to drive in snow and once that becomes a common program, the car is probably better.
  • Kozmo JCLadybug 2012/08/10 08:01:15
    Kozmo
    I'm 2 hours north of Seattle, snow's fairly rare here & it's often wet & slushy.
    When a half inch settles on the road, we become a bumper car ride.
  • JCLadybug Kozmo 2012/08/10 17:55:11
    JCLadybug
    +1
    See this is where I say if they can make the program to respond better in snow, then it would be better than people. This could happen just by an automatic slow down of the car. Most crashes in snow are b/c people are driving too fast. The only problem I see right now is when you have a hill with snow you need certain momentum and ability to not crash. That could be difficult on an automatic car...but otherwise, I think we can make a program for snow.
  • Kozmo JCLadybug 2012/08/10 21:35:33 (edited)
    Kozmo
    An interim solution until feasible implementation would be to put weather-actuated governor on cars so folks can't 'Overdrive' the Elements'

I live in Wet-Couver, when it rains here, drivers speed up.

Six years ago, there was a hurricane-grade windstorm (Dec. 19/06), I rode my (750cc) 1978 Kawasaki (No fairing) home from work across open ground without incident. Super scary, but noticed quickly the the cross-windage effects were unaffected by speed so I settled on 80 k/mh on the highway and the buildings broke the gusts when I go into the urban zone. Would never go OUT to work in that, necessity.

By the way, I'm not very good with cars (too insulating from the risks?). Maybe drivers should do a year on bikes before granted cars.
    Many navies start their sailors on wind-driven ships. Builds teamwork.

Perhaps we should employ "Occam's Ramp" before allowing folks to drive more lethal rolling projectiles.
  • JCLadybug Kozmo 2012/08/10 21:52:30
    JCLadybug
    I find that to be too controlling. It is already not legal to drive the speed limit when it is raining too hard or snowing. It's called reckless driving and a cop can pull you over for going to fast in the conditions. They normally don't, but they can.
  • Kozmo JCLadybug 2012/08/10 22:54:13 (edited)
    Kozmo
    Trouble is, the dearth of enforcement and the sight of other (often professional drivers of taxis & buses, they're setting a Bad Example) of disregarding the Law are giving other a sense of Entitlement (actually Denial) to do the same thing. Same goes for distracted while texting, etc. it wasn't enforced for so long (what's wrong with "driving without due care"?) and they delayed in enacting new legislation that again the drivers assume they're being deprived and now use the devices under the dash worsening their inattention to the road.

We are well down a Slippery Slope, my solution is if they cause harm, slap them with same penalties as Drunk Driving (I see no difference). Also have video surveillance of intersection with automated cameras (à la photo radar, was banned here because of entrapment issues) and send fines in the mail to the owners. This is close to Big Brother but since drivers are ever more slacking off on responsibility, it has to be done until they smarten up, or draconian measures are inevitable.

"Tis Easier to be CareFree while CareFull than being careLESS".

"Freedom & Responsibility work better when used Direct
    rather than Inversely" (as most free-wheelers assume).

As for letting others drive your car, put some sort of black box (as in airliners) that the...&

As for letting others drive your car, put some sort of black box (as in airliners) that the owner can monitor on what they're doing with your car, it's registered in your name & a car is a weapon just as much as a gun. If you're careless and you weapon gets stolen and is involved in a crime, you're still responsible.
  • JCLadybug Kozmo 2012/08/11 02:16:41
    JCLadybug
    +1
    Its a tough issue. I think the key is more awareness programs, etc. It won't work for everyone but that and as you said, hefty consequences for driving while texting etc. and that is the best you can do. Putting limits on an automatic car is okay, partially b/c people don't notice as much when they aren't driving, but it is still up for debate.
  • Kozmo JCLadybug 2012/08/11 15:27:25
    Kozmo
    When I was in the Militia, they put me through a Defensive Driving Course. That was a life-Saver, taught me to anticipate hazards. I'd think making that mandatory (with a refresher each decade).

A facetious suggestion would be to have a learner driver for a week in Montréal. When the light turns yellow, the guy going the other way starts to move as compared to "three thru the red" here.
  • JCLadybug Kozmo 2012/08/11 16:08:01
    JCLadybug
    +1
    A defensive driving program in high school would be a good idea IMO.
  • Kozmo JCLadybug 2012/08/11 21:24:54 (edited)
    Kozmo
    I think until present operators smarten up or learn properly you should put the onus on how to operate any vehicle in public 'denfensively' prior to 'offensively' until prowess with the former allows the latter to be reasonably safe. When other drivers pay better attention and you return in kind…

I'm trippin' some sort of Logic Trap

DISENGAGE!
  • JCLadybug Kozmo 2012/08/11 21:58:05
    JCLadybug
    +1
    I don't think that will honestly ever happen. One person screw it up for everyone. The reason people drive offensively is b/c someone screwed them over and it annoyed them....and who wants to sit back and let people cut them off again and again? Most people are moderately offensive and pay attention to be defensive, some are entirely defensive, and others are only offensive....if you could get rid of the later, most problems would be solved...but I don't foresee that happening.
  • Racefish JCLadybug 2012/08/10 16:07:09
    Racefish
    That depends a lot on the programming. I haven't seen programs that were minutely affective against any for of natural phenomenon. If one were to be written, it would take up so much memory the ECU would have to be towed behind the vehicle.
  • JCLadybug Racefish 2012/08/10 17:52:47
    JCLadybug
    Have you seen the amount of data you can get in a small chip now? The technology will progress and get smaller with time. I think eventually this will be part of the car, but for now, use the manual function.
  • Kozmo Racefish 2012/08/10 21:14:26 (edited)
    Kozmo
    Let's hope the Quantum Computer becomes a Reality soon,
    it would have no trouble.

A Bit is a Yes/No linear dipole (two choices),
    a Qubit is a Spatial 'Ambiguous' (virtually infinite),
    can you imagine the increase in processing power & speed?
    would regard Chaos Theory as Grade School Math.
  • Kozmo Racefish 2012/08/10 07:54:44 (edited)
    Kozmo
    Tires have come along way for traction on ice nowadays. Feed the friction data (from road sensors) into the computer, go slower & give more room would likely be better than human capacity. If I can carry a willing passenger on my motorcycle on black ice trouble free, I'd think a modern computer can do a better (& slightly faster job). Also, fit a pyrometer on the front of the to sense frost on the road so it can adjust (bridges freeze first BTW).
  • Racefish Kozmo 2012/08/10 16:10:32
    Racefish
    +1
    Having been in the tire industry and a professional auto tech for over 40 years, there is no way a computer can take the place of common sense and skill. I think the only thing this would do is take every car on the road down to the lowest common denominator. Let an ECU think its way through a snow bank.
  • Kozmo Racefish 2012/08/10 16:37:49
    Kozmo
    True. I'll revise. When conditions get too chaotic, drop to DOS (human) Mode but restrict the speed that drivers can travel at (& have the systems start adjusting when bad weather is anticipated to avoid-abate log-jams).
    In most [brain]cases people driver too fast to safely stop or evade hazards.
    Up here in WET-couver, people drive FASTER when it rains.
    Figure that one out.
  • Kozmo Racefish 2012/08/10 07:52:24
    Kozmo
    20 years ago a rudimentary Crash Avoidance Radar was tried, should be better now.
    The processors in computerstoday will have a better sence of the Physics (traction, inertia) involved, possibly compensating for weather conditions better than humans too.

Up here on the Wet Coast, drivers go faster in the rain than when it's sunny. Go figure.
  • Racefish Kozmo 2012/08/10 16:11:28
    Racefish
    +1
    Crash avoidance would work. A completely autonomous car is out of the question.
  • Kozmo Racefish 2012/08/10 16:44:13
    Kozmo
    I addressed that above. Even the automated subway here allows staff to over-ride when SNAFUS occur. Putting transponders around town to govern the speed drivers (like around parks & schools) can do would be of help (emergency vehicles excluded). Road Racing is getting to be a serious problem here.
  • Seeker of Truth - War Wizard 2012/08/09 15:36:22
    Seeker of Truth - War Wizard
    I expect it'll be another 15-20 years before we see these as commonplace on the roads. And all it will take is one accident caused by one malfunctioning when the "driver" isn't paying attention (sleeping, eating, whatever) and they'll be pushed back even further.
  • nate 2012/08/09 14:48:11
    nate
    +1
    You will never see me step into an automated vehicle. Some may say it's just like aircraft, but there are many differences between this and an aircraft's autopilot. You are much safer on an airplane. Some poorly-skilled drivers may benefit from this though...
  • Franklin 2012/08/09 14:15:26
    Franklin
    I will not only never buy one i will spend the rest of my life fighting and killing the machines ! Driving is a human Experience so taking it away is de- humanizing .
  • Kozmo Franklin 2012/08/10 08:05:39
    Kozmo
    Aviation has been considering not having pilots in airliners soon.
    Seems most of of trouble is due to human reasons,
    automating maintenance would help here too.
    (much like with computers, the problem's usually between the keyboard & the chair).
  • Franklin Kozmo 2012/08/10 11:19:05
    Franklin
    and yet there is a lose in everything we give up - but its a lose only a small portion cares about ...you may not notice but even this question can be used to see who leans left and who leans right in their thinking ....Conservatives and libertarians want free will and to control their own lives / liberals and Authoritarians want to give up control of their own lives when ever they can
  • Kozmo Franklin 2012/08/10 16:49:24 (edited)
    Kozmo
    Keep the Politics out of this!

I'm talking Safety here, modern folks abdicate responsibility in all camps.
    Has anyone down a study on the political leanings of bad drivers?
    I bet it's skewed to the Right. I'm British born, we drive on the Other side of the road there (as does Australia & Japan) could that be a contributing factor?

"Tis Better to be CareFULL to live CareFREE rather than being CareLESS"

Most Yanks think Freedom & Responsibility are mutually exclusive (hence all the trouble you have) and leads to Totalitarian Nanny States.

it works better when you apply BOTH Directly
  • Cat 2012/08/09 14:04:51
    Cat
    The Rise of the machines draws nearer. Next thing will be arming and armoring them, so "SkyNet" can keep those pesky humans under control. }:-P
    TerminatorCar
  • Franklin Cat 2012/08/09 14:23:31
    Franklin
    +1
    the ironic thing is they already exist ...armed self driving vehicles are rather common place in the military
    the ironic thing is they already exist ...armed self driving vehicles are rather common place in the military army robot army robot army robot army robot army robot drone drone drone drone sub drone sub drone ship drone ship drone ship
  • S. Gompers 2012/08/09 12:17:00
    S. Gompers
    +1
    This will definitely make stupid people even dumber.
  • Kozmo S. Gompers 2012/08/10 08:07:22
    Kozmo
    We've had automated transit up here for decades, I'm all for it. Egos can't drive, period.
  • S. Gompers Kozmo 2012/08/10 08:25:17
    S. Gompers
    Wait till the cars start breaking down and people don't know what to do. in this economy nobody is spending money on their cars unless it comes in on a hook.
  • Kozmo S. Gompers 2012/08/10 17:08:14 (edited)
    Kozmo
    We used to have regular mandatory vehicle inspections up here, should be re-instated since folks are being Penny-Wise but Pound-foolish. Also, have sensors on the vehicle monitoring for signs of trouble (like an airliner's black box [also good for judging accidents], alerting the driver too) and restrict performance until repairs are done & after a reasonable period elapses & no remedial action is taken, have the vehicle 'go on strike' when it arrives home (also send a NEGLIGENCE signal to authorities so they can deal with the scofflaw).
  • S. Gompers Kozmo 2012/08/11 03:40:59
    S. Gompers
    I am sure that will work, you can't even get some people to buy plates or not drive on a suspended license. All systems like that are defeatable for a price, and idiots would rather defeat it verses spend more money to fix it and take money away from their drinking or whatever.
  • Kozmo S. Gompers 2012/08/11 15:32:50 (edited)
    Kozmo
    It's folly to totally idiot-proof something & a more clever one will come by. My ambition is to keep the CARnage down to a tolerable level.
    Don't want Carmaggedon but Karmaggedon instead.

2014/04/25 07:54:38