Google's Self-Driving Vehicles Have Completed 300,000 Miles of Testing: Are Autonomous Cars the Next Big Thing?

thezilch 2012/08/07 22:00:00
Among other advances in world technology, the computer, internet, and smart phones come to mind. Are autonomous cars the next big thing?

Read More: http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2012/08/the-self-dr...

• Mrkando 2012/08/07 22:04:05
    Mrkando
    +5
    The complications of doing this in the real world are enormousness. With traffic the way it is in most city's adding to that mix cars that drive themselves would be disastrous.

On the other hand it may actually be safer than people that drive with a cell phone, texting or using a computer. :-)

• Emma Cay 2013/01/23 20:00:00
  • What a noble idea 2013/01/19 11:16:19
    What a noble idea
    Going to a protest. Car replies, "Sorry, unable to process request."
    Where is my car? you ask. It has been impounded remotely by sensor.
    Finger print car access. Car doors lock you in and car drives you to police station for warrant.
    Wake up everyday with even more ads since google knows everywhere you go.
    Good luck protesting the government if relations turn sour.
    Forget about whatever privacy actually remains. Everyone tracked at all times and places to guarantee autonomous car efficiency.
    Machine has better judgement than a human. It's not safe to eat this, walk there, love this person, etc. Let's all chip ourselves so machine can do everything for us to make our lives safer for everyone. Phones have already done most of the damage. Let's finish it off.
    Sacrificing liberty for security is worth it.
  • BHGOzzy 2012/09/09 07:03:23
    BHGOzzy
    And I will paint my car purple and blue... and call it Fi.
  • ...Kat... 2012/09/09 06:50:52
    ...Kat...
    Oh sweet! Now I can blame my car for making me late for work!!!
  • Pyro-82 2012/08/31 17:36:18
    Pyro-82
    Would make freeways less of a pain
  • rarity 2012/08/17 18:13:48
    rarity
    6UOWUZJSUUJEFUF3JSHEIEUEJC9FO... ,JCKMKXJVIMGJC']DKDHTJGMYJLJT...
  • Cero 2012/08/13 17:35:32
    Cero
    No one should trust it, Idc how many miles or years they test it
  • BHGOzzy Cero 2012/09/09 07:06:22
    BHGOzzy
    +1
    What, you don't trust Skynet to keep you safe?
    T800
    I mean, come on, just look at that friendly smile!
  • RENEGADE 34 2012/08/12 18:28:01
    RENEGADE 34
    A lot of farmers already have some sort of auto steer for their equipment. Cost is the big factor, that has been coming down as more and more systems come out. New computers and all the new sencers to monitor everything, is mind boggling. Soon your next new car wont have a steering wheel. Ah, for the good old days, of no power steering or power brakes, vent windows, and the cigarette lighter was for lighting cigarettes. I bet the govt will love it too, Tabs not paid? car wont start. Parking tickets not paid? car wont start. Already using DUI ignition lockouts. Whole new world for hackers, hack your new BMW and have the car drive right to thier house.
  • Vision of Verve 2012/08/12 01:31:48
  • wpsark 2012/08/10 17:33:12 (edited)
    wpsark
    ugghhhh is driving so HARD???? I know it's hard for some people but seriously, this is just laziness.
  • cmdrbnd007 2012/08/10 15:46:10
    cmdrbnd007
    I don't know if it will be next but I've been waiting for it most of my life.
  • wes 2012/08/10 15:41:53
    wes
    It's inevitable, public and private transportation is going to merge and this is definitely the transitional, if not a final stage, for awhile......
  • ⚥Κόζμω Græme اليا Mongrain 2012/08/10 07:24:30 (edited)
    ⚥Κόζμω Græme اليا Mongrain
    Since Ralph Nader, we've been making cars safer but drivers get lulled into a false sense of security, take more chances, drive distracted (fines should be same as DUI) & traffic in the streets get progressively worse. BOTTOM LINE: Egos are crappy drivers.

Put a transponder on every light pole, use the cell networks, GPS, Galeleo & other space-bourne navigation systems well below capacity so if one crashes the rest can keep them at reduced speed until repairs are made. No need to dig up the road beds to put guidance wires & sensors since the wireless infrastructure is in place & reliable. Idiocy to use a single centralized systems, "don't put all your eggs in one basket".

Have the cars automated like some Light Rail Transit. Load it with tons of online entertainment to keep the occupants happy so they don't mind the duration (maybe quicker?) & they will be less stressed out so they can have a better time on their excursions.
  • Stan Kapusta 2012/08/10 06:06:40
    Stan Kapusta
    +1
    Every Bar or Hospital Should have one. A great Taxi to the Airport.
  • Randylin 2012/08/10 01:35:19
    Randylin
    +1
    I will never own cars that can park themselves, drive themselves, or do anything besides let me do everything. I want to be in control, especially if getting into an accident is probable. There's no way I would trust cars with my life, or my family's lives.
  • ☆stillthe12c☆ 2012/08/09 22:19:52
    ☆stillthe12c☆
    +3
    Too many us like to be in control!
  • bpf 2012/08/09 19:29:40
    bpf
    Real testing would be in actual live heavy duty traffic with cars coming at you from all directions, in all weather conditions and then have other test cars actually veer into your lane, stop in front of you and test the results.
  • Raymie 2012/08/09 19:23:29
    Raymie
    +1
    and will be much safer if they can get it right..
  • ⚥Κόζμω ... Raymie 2012/08/10 07:38:18
    ⚥Κόζμω Græme اليا Mongrain
    See my comment above. Recall almost a quarter century ago, Volkswagen had a Golf that could parallel park itself. Give Moore's Law a run through this & you'd think, if put in a race, the robo-cars could outrun human drivers.
  • swp 2012/08/09 18:21:05
    swp
    +1
    This is inevitable. The car companies started small - like anti-lock brakes. Now they have cars that will parallel park for you, slowdown if you get to close to the car in front of you, and warn you with an alarm if you drift out of your lane without signalling.

Eventually cars will form a network with each other and drive themselves in a collaborative manner. E.g. they could automatically link up to form a sort of train to reduce drag. It's decades off, but something like it will happen.
  • ⚥Κόζμω ... swp 2012/08/10 07:40:11
    ⚥Κόζμω Græme اليا Mongrain
    Good, you've added a twist that could make my suggested system above more feasible.
    Welcome the intellectual enrichment. Can't solve everything.
  • BHGOzzy ⚥Κόζμω ... 2012/09/09 07:07:44
    BHGOzzy
    You've obviously never talked to this fine company:
    OCP
  • ⚥Κόζμω ... BHGOzzy 2012/09/10 17:51:27
    ⚥Κόζμω Græme اليا Mongrain
    +1
    Doesn't exist [yet], a possible 3M (Microsoft, Monsanto & McDonald's) merger?
  • BHGOzzy ⚥Κόζμω ... 2012/09/10 20:40:16
    BHGOzzy
    True, but just think, a Robocop on every corner and an ED209 to push down stairs.
  • ⚥Κόζμω ... BHGOzzy 2012/09/10 21:36:22 (edited)
    ⚥Κόζμω Græme اليا Mongrain
    +1
    It may come to that if folks don't stop getting more & more careless over time. Bad Psychology makes Bad Drivers despite cars getting safer & easier to drive but we're speeding & taking chances more too.

Network the cars to think among themselves and have copious online entertainment aboard, folks may not notice the duration of the trip too much & the car could automatically send updated trip status & ETA's to all involved. Might that reduce stress?
  • BHGOzzy ⚥Κόζμω ... 2012/09/10 21:37:41
    BHGOzzy
    +1
    It very well might, and automated driving will prevent drunk driving accidents or at least reduce the occurrence of accidents in general.
  • ⚥Κόζμω ... BHGOzzy 2012/09/11 00:30:06
    ⚥Κόζμω Græme اليا Mongrain
    +1
    I recall reading some Sci-Fi (Larry Niven) and the character was 'noticing' some cars were 'acting funny' then suddenly realized they weren't using crash avoidance radar. Can't wait until we get nostalgic remembering the 'bad old days' and chuckle.

But there'll always be "hard-core" enthusiasts using stick-shift & power nothing but know how to "really drive" but should be somewhat safer if the automated vehicles are more predictable than present inattentive & carelessly man-handled ones today.

A century prior when horses were used, they could (sometimes, if not pushed too hard) over-ride the buggy drivers with some "Horse Sense", Or when the rider was 'asleep in the saddle' get him home at least & maybe smart enough to find the nearest town if he was injured.
  • BHGOzzy ⚥Κόζμω ... 2012/09/11 04:04:09
    BHGOzzy
    +1
    Heh, I like that idea.
  • ⚥Κόζμω ... BHGOzzy 2012/09/12 08:42:45
    ⚥Κόζμω Græme اليا Mongrain
    Spread the word to hasten (if you like), most folks are in Denial of being "driven to an early grave".
  • gocar 2012/08/09 16:52:38
    gocar
    I guess we will not be able to stop the next step but what happens when the computer which runs the car crashes. I was in a terrible accident when our brake failed to override the cruise control. Now we never use it unless we are on an open highway with very little traffic.
  • ⚥Κόζμω ... gocar 2012/08/10 07:43:31
    ⚥Κόζμω Græme اليا Mongrain
    I'd make it quite redundant. Transponders on light pole, use the various cell networks for redundancy with GPS, Galeleo etc. A person just above suggested putting an AI network into the cars themselves. Set this up so all components are at less half capacity so in case one crashes, the rest can keep up the slack until repairs can be done.
  • BHGOzzy gocar 2012/09/10 20:40:51
    BHGOzzy
    What happens when the computer that's ALREADY in your car crashes? You know that little black box just behind the battery box? Yep, that's a computer that regulates everything that goes on in your car.
  • Heaven 2012/08/09 16:46:45
    Heaven
    +1
    It's just one more thing for people to be lazy about. Now people don't even feel like driving. Ridiculous.
  • swp Heaven 2012/08/09 18:22:38
    swp
    +1
    Why is it ridiculous to not feel like driving? This is nothing to do with laziness. This is about efficiency and safety and making better use of one's time.
  • Heaven swp 2012/08/09 19:32:16
    Heaven
    You have a point but i just get really mad because a lot of people get lazy and i just wish that would change. Sorry if I upset you.
  • ⚥Κόζμω ... Heaven 2012/08/10 07:46:54
    ⚥Κόζμω Græme اليا Mongrain
    I ride motorcycles, I'd think i be safer among alert robo-cars rather than distracted, stressed-out maladjusted insecure drivers.
  • ⚥Κόζμω ... Heaven 2012/08/10 07:44:40
    ⚥Κόζμω Græme اليا Mongrain
    They drive like they're senseless anyways now. No difference.
  • Mr.Hoodz the Truth Troll 2012/08/09 16:10:43
    Mr.Hoodz the Truth Troll
    +1
    But they will make them the next big thing. First it will start off with insurance deductions to people that let google drive their car. Then it will become mandatory because they will decide humans are too dumb to drive cars.
  • swp Mr.Hood... 2012/08/09 18:25:14
    swp
    +1
    Many of us are too dumb to drive cars, apparently. But this is primarily about safety and making better use of one's time. In the future driving for sport will just be different than driving to get somewhere.

2014/09/16 13:38:15