Google Rejects White House Request to Pull Mohammad Film: Does White House Support Free Speech?

Fef 2012/09/15 00:51:50
President Obama requested Google (the parent company of YouTube) to remove a film clip that criticizes Mohammed, whom the Muslim consider a prophet and founder of Islam. President Obama and his administration have blamed the American-based filmmaker for the attacks against American embassies and the deaths of four Americans in Libya.

Obama wants to focus on this film clip and not the real enemies. Obama says he wants to pull the film clip because it "violates the universal right to religious expression." However, censoring a film critical of a religion (Islam) violates the free speech and values of another religion (Christianity).

Obama has taken sides with the Islamic supremacists -- though not to their same extremist view of death to non-Muslims. But Obama has caved to their intolerant demand by trying to censor the American's right to free speech.

To simplify -- the film has nothing to do with the premeditated attacks on Americans on the 11th anniversary of 9/11. The terrorists organized the attacks with the Libyan security forces well in advance of the film clip. Few people saw or care about one man's video critical of Islam. The media and the White House gave the film all the attention as a means to distract from Obama's complete foreign policy failures and anti-American values of free speech.

REUTERS.COM reports:
SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Google Inc rejected a request by the White House on Friday to reconsider its decision to keep online a controversial YouTube movie clip that has ignited anti-American protests

reconsider decision online controversial youtube movie clip ignited anti-american protests

Read More: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/09/14/us-prote...

• iamthemob ~ the 444th Guru ~ 2012/09/25 15:23:54
    iamthemob ~ the 444th Guru ~
    "However, censoring a film critical of a religion (Islam) violates the free speech and values of another religion (Christianity)."

If that video represents the speech and values of Christianity...shame on Christianity.

In the end, the White House isn't the only one requesting Google take down the video. The fact that it is not forcing take down is representative of respect for free speech.
  • lucky 2012/09/16 21:03:36
    lucky
    If they didnt, I dont think they would have asked, instead they would have forced the issue, I am concerned though about the possibility the film is causing more harm to come to our troops than what they normally face any way, if that is a possibility, then google should willingly remove it.
  • Freedom 2012/09/16 14:03:04
    Freedom
    As I have said on other questions here on this subject: I am all for freedom of speech but the filmmakers made this with the purpose of causing riots and harm. They said this themselves, its not an assumption. As people have been killed because of this terribly produced crappy movie trailer, that *could* be why the White House has requested it to be taken down. Once something hits the internet, its already too late though, isn't it?

Also, you'd be suprised about how many youtube videos and how much internet censorship goes on in this country. There is a lot. Look it up and see for yourself.

And again, dear Muslims, stop overreacting to this sort of thing. Calm down people! When you pull this crap it just makes everyone there look bad! It may get you upset but its no reason to kill innocent people... which goes against the religion you are trying to defend.
  • Steve 2012/09/16 03:48:49
    Steve
    Making such a request violates nobody's rights -- it's just a request.

Doing so shows the US gov't didn't have anything to do with it.

Google is responsible for whats on Google's servers.
  • MsStretch 2012/09/16 00:59:36
    MsStretch
    Trying to back up his claim that's what triggered the violence. I call BS on BO. He's just trying to appease his brothers...I think he should go live with them since he admires them so much. Sure they would treat him and Michelle like royalty. Well, maybe not Michelle seeing their views on women.
    Doesn't appear like they do, they want to suspend the First Amendment because of terrorism.
  • bob 2012/09/15 17:36:05
    bob
    The muslim bastard support sharia law like all good muslims.
  • thefatguy 2012/09/15 14:01:09 (edited)
    thefatguy
    +2
    The White House is opposed to free speech if it involves criticizing Obama or his "pet" religion. I still hate Google but good for them on this one.
  • Broken 2012/09/15 13:03:12
    Broken
    +1
    They hate free speech. They hate our constituion. They love power and control.
  • NYCbrit 2012/09/15 09:04:02
    NYCbrit
    +1
    Only when it suits them.
  • Linkums 2012/09/15 03:37:31
    Linkums
    +2
    I'm impressed that Google refused their request. Good job to them. It seems like an obvious choice, but I know Google's a pretty liberal company.
  • James 2012/09/15 03:10:53
    James
    +1
    1st Amendment rights people.....
  • mach 2012/09/15 03:08:33
    mach
    +1
    "Selective censorship' is a possibility. Administer it like conservatives administer the Constitution, selecting what benefits them, and discarding the rest.
  • Soup Man 2012/09/15 03:04:50
  • Trader1 is kerbonkin' 2012/09/15 01:29:06
    Trader1 is kerbonkin'
    +3
    Just the fact that they asked is bad.

Besides, all the unrest was not caused by this film. I think it was planned and they used the film as an excuse. I remember hearing one of the stations report when the ambassador was taken that the protesters were chanting something like "osama, there are a billion more osama's" or something like that. That attack was planned, definitely not spontaneous.

I'm more inclined to think the muslims got their panties in a twist over the constant bragging at the DNC ... "osama is dead and GM is alive!" How many times did they repeat that? Nothing like shoving it into the faces of the radicals, yeah, that'll make 'em love us.
  • jubil8 BN-0 PON 2012/09/15 01:22:37
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    Maybe when it doesn't involve Muslims.
  • Steve Boston 2012/09/15 01:22:23
    Steve Boston
    +3
    No. And they need to get off this film clip as the root cause of the attacks. Won't happen as we know who owns the media. But the cause lies in Obama's global incompetence in foreign relations and security 101. He's apologizing to terrorists while in parallel Americans are being slaughtered. God help us. He's gotta go.
  • Trader1... Steve B... 2012/09/15 01:30:45
    Trader1 is kerbonkin'
    +1
    They keep bringing up the video as the cause because they don't want people to start questioning their foreign policy. Too late for the ones with brains .....
  • MichaelDillon 2012/09/15 01:19:59
    MichaelDillon
    +5
    Next thing you know he will be telling CBS not to run GOP political adds.
  • jubil8 ... Michael... 2012/09/15 01:23:43
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    I wish he would -- that would really make waves.
    +2
    However, there is a limit even to free speech. Ya can't yell fire in a theater. According to the Supreme Court you also cannot use "fighting words" to provoke someone in the name of free speech. The same applies to preachers form the pulpit.

In this case Google's YouTube has posted upon it an inflammatory piece of trash that has caused and will continue to cause the deaths of US Citizens.
  • jubil8 ... sjalan 2012/09/15 01:24:57
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    +1
    I thought I read that YouTube shut it down.

BUT I don't think Obama should be involved. Over the top attempt to interfere. Again.
  • Trader1... jubil8 ... 2012/09/15 01:32:07 (edited)
    Trader1 is kerbonkin'
    +1
    Youtube blocked it for Libya and I think Egypt. Don't know if they've added any other mid-east countries to the block.
  • jubil8 ... Trader1... 2012/09/15 04:50:54
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    +1
    Tx, Trader.
  • sjalan jubil8 ... 2012/09/15 02:25:46
    So you'd rather that American nationals where ever in the world they maybe should become targets based upon a hate filled badly writtrn and disasteriously filmed piece of trash movie?
  • jubil8 ... sjalan 2012/09/15 04:53:23
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    1. We can't stop Americans from becoming targets based on films made anywhere else in the world anyway.

2. What I'd rather is that a major corporation would CHOOSE to do the right thing.

3. Of course I don't want Americans to be targets.

4. BUT I'm not in favor of government interference in private enterprise.
  • Trader1... sjalan 2012/09/15 16:39:50
    Trader1 is kerbonkin'
    +1
    And if Google had complied? Then what? If muslims choose next to be offended by a newspaper article, should we pull that? What if they want to be offended by the media reporting on their actions, the burnings and attacks on embassies? Should we shut down our news organisations? What if their one desire is to be offended by all things western? Are you willing to commit suicide to keep from offending them?

Where do we draw the line?
  • sjalan Trader1... 2012/09/15 22:44:02
    +1
    My personal opinion is to speak softly and carry a big stick, as Teddy Roosevelt is quoted as saying.

Frankly, I'd be going behind the scenes right now and put out the word, "more violence against Americans and or our consulates and you get whumped, and I don't mean with people." A single tactical 1 meg Fuel/Air bomb strategically placed
    should be enough to show we are not kidding around anymore. PERIOD.

They want additional trouble we switch to nukes and don't blink once.
  • Trader1... sjalan 2012/09/16 00:18:52
    Trader1 is kerbonkin'
    +1
    Yep, that's a big stick!
  • Troy sjalan 2012/09/16 23:38:48
    Troy
    I cannot agree with you because my government would prosecute me for incitement to religious hatred, oh for a UK First Amendment!
  • SickOfBigGov 2012/09/15 01:14:30
    SickOfBigGov
    +3
    This is not about the film. The WH is a failure. The WH is to blame for the murder of 4 Americans and for those about to occur in the come days.
  • sjalan SickOfB... 2012/09/16 07:26:03
    And you have your head where the sun does not shine.
  • SickOfB... sjalan 2012/09/16 12:53:41 (edited)
    SickOfBigGov
    Oh look, I caught me a bitter liberal. 1979 Muslim

Let's talk about Biden's "Osama bin Laden is dead and General Motors is alive." slogan? Could that have provoked outrage in the Muslim world? How about Obama's continued bragging about 'getting Bin Laden'. Do you suppose the Muslim world has missed that? It appears not.

Just wait until the WH endorsed movie 'Zero Dark Thirty' comes out.
  • KilrQueen 2012/09/15 01:10:54
    KilrQueen
    +2
    I've seen part of this video and honestly, it's pretty stupid. Looks like teenager made it....you would have to be an idiot to get that upset over what I saw.
  • Troy KilrQueen 2012/09/16 14:12:37
    Troy
    Well that just about sums them up hu?
  • KilrQueen Troy 2012/09/16 14:17:55
    KilrQueen
    I sincerely do not believe this entire uprising was over this ridiculous video. There is more to it than that...the US is the one blaming the video. After a few minutes of it, you become brain dead.
  • Troy KilrQueen 2012/09/16 14:35:26 (edited)
    Troy
    I do find the timing a wee bit coincidental considering this film had been published months before. However Muslim (better qualify - extremists) do have form for this sort of over reaction. Take the Danish cartoon saga. Muslims protested across the Islamic world, some of which escalated into violence with instances of police firing on crowds of protestors resulting in a total of more than 100 reported deaths, including the bombing of the Danish embassy in Pakistan and setting fire to the Danish Embassies in Syria, Lebanon and Iran, storming European buildings, and burning the Danish, Dutch, Norwegian, French and German flags in Gaza City. In Muslim societies, insulting Muhammad is considered one of the gravest of all crimes. Some interpretations of the Shariah, in particular the Salafi (Wahabi) group, state that any insult to Muhammad warrants death. Just one of many, many, things which warrant death in this bloodthirsty religion. (CPS - You can’t prosecute me for telling the truth!)
  • KilrQueen Troy 2012/09/16 19:33:59
    KilrQueen
    I understand that, just seems odd that all of a sudden this breaks out...and wasn't it Egypt that showed the video on TV or something along those lines? Now, if that is the case, why would you do that other than to incite a riot? And for my last comment...CPS????
  • Troy KilrQueen 2012/09/16 20:13:49 (edited)
    Troy
    I understand it was originally shown way back in June. If this was genuine anger it would have kicked off long before now, it took about 5 minutes for the Jihad-i sites to stir them up THE LAST TIME THEY SPAT THE DUMMY.

CPS = Crown prosecution service, the UK are actively prosecuting (under new anti-terror laws) anyone who speaks their mind on line these days if it "upsets" anyone :-(

2014/11/01 12:00:46