Goodwill Pays disabled employees as little as 22 cents per hour

JwonGalt 2013/07/09 19:37:18
Related Topics: Video, Employees
Just curious, as to what your view on this is.

Completely and utterly legal mind. you.

http://aattp.org/goodwill-pays-disabled-employees-as-little-a...

• Revenge A La Roos 2013/07/09 20:23:52 (edited)
    Revenge A La Roos
    +5
    Despicable. As if wanting to work at Goodwill wasn't a good deed in and of itself, but to be taken advantage of in such a fashion. That's just wrong.

• David Hussey 2013/07/21 18:54:27
    David Hussey
    The whole notion of 'not-for-profit' corporations needs to be abolished. As far as I am concerned if an organization wants to call itself not-for-profit then every single individual involved in it, from the bottom right to the board of executives should be working on a volunteer basis.

Its just another loophole in the tax laws.
  • ⚥Κόζμω Græme اليا Mongrain
    +1
    Not cut & dried. Looks like the Boards are paying themselves a century in the future while the laborers are being paid a century behind.

some folks are comfortable with volunteerism for its own sake. In my case, working free at such a place gave me the confidence to find a paid job which lasted almost 3 years, thus I saved the State some money, unlike others who never work

Up here in Canada, the NGO's (non-govermental organizations) are not bound by to the regulations that revenue businesses are, and they know it and get away with stuff that would draw sanctions or litigation with the latter
  • Wolf Princess 2013/07/10 01:26:58
    Wolf Princess
    +2
    That's bad. They should pay more wages ...
  • Jenn 2013/07/10 00:21:27
    Jenn
    +2
    its not right, I hope they get into big trouble for that
  • Cierra 2013/07/09 23:37:28
    Cierra
    +2
    What the hell? That's not right at all. Pay them right!
  • tytyvyllus 2013/07/09 23:00:38
    tytyvyllus
    +1
    is it their pay or a stipend? pay would affect their checks if means tested; stipends would not.
  • JwonGalt tytyvyllus 2013/07/09 23:19:32
    JwonGalt
    +1
    It is their pay

Goodwill (and other companies especially tax exempt and resturants i have found) can aply forSpecial Minimum Wage Certificates

Not a stipend.
  • tytyvyllus JwonGalt 2013/07/09 23:24:14
    tytyvyllus
    +1
    I know restaurants get them because the salary is augmented with tips and food. and it is possible that tax exempts could qualify as they are training people with disabilities but 22 cents sound ridiculous.
  • tytyvyllus tytyvyllus 2013/07/09 23:29:34
    tytyvyllus
    +1
    " In very simple terms, if the worker with a disability is 60% as
    productive when performing a particular job as is the experienced worker who does not have a disability
    performing the exact same job, the commensurate wage for that worker with a disability would be at least 60%
    of the prevailing wage (the wage rate paid to the experienced worker who does not have a disability). this percentage is not figured at entry level pay but the wage the experienced worker makes after their first pay raise; and it could not possibly be 22 cents.
  • JwonGalt tytyvyllus 2013/07/09 23:39:19
    JwonGalt
    +1
    I personally dont agree with restaurants not paying minimum wage, but that is due to personal experience

And go Talk to GoodWill. They are not disputing the fact that some of their employees are receiving 22 cents per hour. They are not. And in the interview it shows they do not care.

The unlike minimum wage, with the certificate, it can diminish. Meaning lower even further than the Current Min Wage.

And yes. Some people are receiving, only , 22 cents per hour. You say its not possible

I am saying the proof is right here in this post, and on the internet verifying it...
  • tytyvyllus JwonGalt 2013/07/09 23:41:51
    tytyvyllus
    +1
    whatever, I think I have already given this more time than I care to. good night
    +4
    How much does Goodwill's Executive Director make? Maybe 22 cents a second? lol
  • Dolly 2013/07/09 22:01:50
  • The Aging Yankee Liberal Do... 2013/07/09 21:56:16
    The Aging Yankee Liberal Douche
    +3
    I never shopped there before. After reading this, I never will.
  • wes 2013/07/09 21:35:55
    wes
    +2
    You should be volunteering to work at goodwill and not accepting money, working at goodwill is a community service you volunteer for when you cant find a job and you want to do something to help others that are less fortunate than you........
  • JwonGalt wes 2013/07/09 21:50:39
    JwonGalt
    +2
    So.
    A good will company
    That hires disabled people mentally, physically etc,(with the promise to pay them mind you)

Wont even be decent enough to pay them a fair wage....like everyone else.

But instead while the company itself makes billions
    The CEOs individually make MILLIONS, for themselves, personally. Not for a charity.

But is willing to only pay only 22 cent per hour for people who are having a hard time finding a job

I dont know about you

But that is sick
    That is wrong
    That is NOT okay
    That is exploitation

And that is not good will.

Nothing charitable about this at all. Nothing.
  • Blueskys JwonGalt 2013/07/10 04:27:02
    Blueskys
    How do you know the salaries of the top people? Can we get a link?
  • wes JwonGalt 2013/07/10 10:27:49
    wes
    They can always quit and get a job somewhere else if they don't like where they work, that is our right. You don't like your boss, quit you're bit chin' and leave....it's people that accept that wage that are supporting that ideal, not the guy paying it.
  • Melizmatic 2013/07/09 21:06:20
  • Car1u5~PWCM~JLA 2013/07/09 20:41:41
    Car1u5~PWCM~JLA
    +4
    Disturbing but not too surprised.
    Revenge A La Roos
    +5
  • David H... Revenge... 2013/07/21 18:50:46
  • epsdude 2013/07/09 20:16:24
    epsdude
    +1
    Their business, their rules. If you want more pay, work somewhere else. It's really not all that hard.
  • JwonGalt epsdude 2013/07/09 20:19:27 (edited)
    JwonGalt
    +3
    Not surprised you would say that. Not at all.

Just a damn shame there are people like you in this country, but meh, who cares about people who are disabled right? -_-
  • epsdude JwonGalt 2013/07/09 20:29:14
    epsdude
    +1
    Who said I didn't care? Goodwill doesn't seem to care too much, but that's their right. You can't force people to pay more than they want. Luckily, this is not a government controlled economy like some people want it to be. There are plenty of other jobs out there who I'm sure will pay more than 22¢ Just go somewhere else!
  • Jim Smith epsdude 2013/07/09 20:58:34
    Jim Smith
    +5
    And what happens if all business start paying disabled employees 22¢ an hour?
  • JwonGalt Jim Smith 2013/07/09 21:08:21 (edited)
    JwonGalt
    +3
    Bingo, i Call them slave wages
  • epsdude Jim Smith 2013/07/09 22:51:35
    epsdude
    +1
    Do you honestly believe that will ever happen?
  • JwonGalt epsdude 2013/07/09 21:10:36 (edited)
    JwonGalt
    +4
    Actually the government does control it marginally. Thats where the socialist aspect comes in

Minimum wage
    End of child Labor
    Overtime Pay
    All because of government

Thankfully, the United States is NOT a pure Capitalist based economy. Otherwise, not just the disabled would be paid 22 cents an hour.
  • epsdude JwonGalt 2013/07/09 22:54:24
    epsdude
    Minimum wage hurts workers. It simply encourages bosses to hire less people because they can't afford their wages. We should abolish it. I don't even know why people care about 'child labor'. Heck, I could've used a job early on anyways; everyone could've. I would've had no problem sweeping the grocery stores at 13. Working is not immoral. Working is life.
  • JwonGalt epsdude 2013/07/09 23:21:54
    JwonGalt
    +2
    you are literally too stupid

I could explain all the flaws that you just said. But i will not waste my time. But thank you for your opinion on this matter.
  • epsdude JwonGalt 2013/07/09 23:35:19
    epsdude
    Resulting to insulting does not constitute to being right. It only constitutes to being childish. This is a debate, not let's see who can call each other 'stupid' the most. You may think I'm 'stupid' only because you're not thinking things fully through.

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. -Winston Churchill
  • Bibliop... epsdude 2013/07/10 01:22:52
    Bibliophilic
    +1
    13 year-olds should be in school, not working. Child Labor laws exist for a reason. They can babysit, do chores or work for friends, family members if they need spending money. Life for poor children, both rural and urban was a living hell before child labor laws, let's not turn back the clock.
  • epsdude Bibliop... 2013/07/10 01:46:54
    epsdude
    You do realize you can work and go to school at the same time right? Most people don't get paid to do their choirs; it's just a responsibility. I see absolutely nothing wrong with young ones working. No one can really name any reason why not. If I could've worked at a young age, I would have done it. It's always a good idea to be saving up on money!
  • Bibliop... epsdude 2013/07/27 04:30:46
    Bibliophilic
    Well, babysitting or taking care of pets, selling crafts at market and other part-time jobs are part of life.
  • epsdude Bibliop... 2013/07/27 06:02:05
    epsdude
    *GASP!* But that's... child labor! Think of the children!
    +2
    I NO longer go there

2014/10/21 02:18:41