God speaks in mysterious ways!

Gracie - Proud Conservative 2012/06/10 18:19:31
I love this video...a Priest's answer to Atheism.

• lolitalovely 2012/06/11 04:23:39
    lolitalovely
    +10
    The world is for sure round. No faith necessary in that. Although Michael Shermer might argue that we can't even prove that for sure. Anyway the Salem witch trials and the Spanish inquisition were not under atheistic regimes. Salem was dominated by Calvinists and had very little government at that time. The Spanish inquisition was established by the Catholic monarch of Spain.
    To the point, I don't really think you can prove or disprove a god. You either believe or you don't. I'm an atheist because it makes the most sense to me. I would never take someones faith from them, But I definitely don't agree when someone says that my beliefs are more faith-based than their own. We all come to conclusion based on things we consider fact. My facts are just tested by white lab-coats and sterile walls. Religions facts are tested by rituals and song. Neither is wrong to me. This world could be a product of our imagination, so I really don't think it matters who's right or wrong here.

• wtxwoman 2012/06/18 02:46:03
    wtxwoman
    +1
    I believe in letting everyone seek their own path. As long as it doesn't cross mine, it's okay.
  • abycinnamon BN-1 2012/06/16 08:53:57
    abycinnamon BN-1
    +1
    Wow. A rapping priest. How - interesting. Not convincing, and I would have to say he is as arrogant as he accuses atheists of being.

One cannot prove the existence of god. Once cannot disprove the existence of god. Both believers and nonbelievers are actually holding beliefs (although good luck getting the average atheist to see that).

For me, it would be the ultimate betrayal of everything that I am to say there is a god. It is completely incompatible with everything that I believe and trust. Sometimes it would be nice to have the comfort and community of faith, but I cannot do that.

For believers, I wish them well. I only have a problem with them when they hurt others. If they are willing to respect the beliefs of others, then we get along just fine.
  • Gracie ... abycinn... 2012/06/16 16:22:12
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +1
    Nice, I agree.
  • abycinn... Gracie ... 2012/06/16 20:16:53 (edited)
    abycinnamon BN-1
    +1
    I have to say I feel like I should write this down on my calendar as a historic event!
    LOL! :)
  • Gracie ... abycinn... 2012/06/16 20:49:12
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +1
    No, we've agreed on occasion, very few occasions.
  • abycinn... Gracie ... 2012/06/16 21:31:18
    abycinnamon BN-1
    +1
    True. It seems like it's usually after wrangling for a while though. I guess we have occasionally agreed up front. Ahhhhh age. My memory is going.

Hope you are having a spectacular weekend. I'm spending mine with my cats and chipmunk watching. I really, really love chipmunks. I guess that's kind of weird. They are just so damn cute.

chipmunk
  • Gracie ... abycinn... 2012/06/16 22:05:21
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +1
    That's funny because we don't have them so the last time we went out west I must have taken 100 pictures of just chipmunks!
  • abycinn... Gracie ... 2012/06/17 04:17:00
    abycinnamon BN-1
    +1
    That is funny! I guess I'm not crazy! We do have them here and I would love to photograph them but seem to have misplaced my camera. We have a nest in the yard so there are quite a few. We also had lots of tree squirrels which was terribly fun - but last year they got mange and most died. So this year we only have a couple. Apparently someone was breeding them for some reason and they were able to release them after winter when hopefully the mange mites died. We put bird food out and theyall eat that. They are such a pleasure - I will miss them when we move.
  • Gracie ... abycinn... 2012/06/17 20:24:52
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +1
    Are you still at Big Bear? That's where you were right? I loved that place!
  • abycinn... Gracie ... 2012/06/17 21:20:53
    abycinnamon BN-1
    +1
    Yes, I'm living between Big Bear and North Hollywood. We have a friend in NH with cancer who is pretty sick and really can't stay alone, so we've sort of moved in to part of his house, but I still get up to Big Bear on the weekends.
  • Gracie ... abycinn... 2012/06/17 22:23:45
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +1
    That's very kind of you. My friend's daughter just graduated from King's College.
  • abycinn... Gracie ... 2012/06/22 03:37:17
    abycinnamon BN-1
    +1
    Congratulations to her!
  • wtxwoman abycinn... 2012/06/18 02:44:01
    wtxwoman
    +2
    We don't have chipmunks. We have ground squirrels. They are cute little critters, but a nuisance. I've almost broken my ancle several times stepping in their holes.
  • abycinn... wtxwoman 2012/06/26 18:31:15
    abycinnamon BN-1
    +1
    Ah yes - I used to live where there were just ground squirrels when I was a kid - they would get shot and poisoned because of the cattle.

We have some ground squirrels here but they look different than the ground squirrels of my youth. We call them Hoovers because they vacuum up the food we leave out and their little cheek pouches get huge. They also have a nest on the property.

I hope your ground squirrels don't injure you - they can be sneaky little devils!
  • wtxwoman abycinn... 2012/06/26 21:16:44
    wtxwoman
    +1
    They eat my garden when I have one. They are cute, though.
  • toni abycinn... 2012/06/26 16:22:44
    toni
    +2
    I don't have a problem with the idea of a creator. I have no interest in trying to prove the existence or nonexistence of such a being.. I have a problem with religion. I have a problem with the idea that any person or group of persons KNOWS how the creator wants humans to behave. When the subject of god comes up believers want to argue that the existence of the universe proves there is a creator. If that was all they believed it wouldn't be a problem. The problem is that these people also believe in a devil, angels prophets and holy books. Hence concepts like god hates fags. The devil is the source of evil. Don't teach evolution to my children because evolution contradicts the bible. Christians, Jews and Muslims all believe in the god of abraham. I am not as familiar with the eastern religions, but I am sure they have their mythology too. Actually the religions that have become merely mythology were much more rational. The ancient greeks and romans believed in many gods all of whom were vindictive and petty. When people had disputes (wars) the gods took sides They were arrogant and had no more interest in people's happiness than a person might have in a fighting cock. Thats more rational because it at least explains all the rotten things that happen in this...
    I don't have a problem with the idea of a creator. I have no interest in trying to prove the existence or nonexistence of such a being.. I have a problem with religion. I have a problem with the idea that any person or group of persons KNOWS how the creator wants humans to behave. When the subject of god comes up believers want to argue that the existence of the universe proves there is a creator. If that was all they believed it wouldn't be a problem. The problem is that these people also believe in a devil, angels prophets and holy books. Hence concepts like god hates fags. The devil is the source of evil. Don't teach evolution to my children because evolution contradicts the bible. Christians, Jews and Muslims all believe in the god of abraham. I am not as familiar with the eastern religions, but I am sure they have their mythology too. Actually the religions that have become merely mythology were much more rational. The ancient greeks and romans believed in many gods all of whom were vindictive and petty. When people had disputes (wars) the gods took sides They were arrogant and had no more interest in people's happiness than a person might have in a fighting cock. Thats more rational because it at least explains all the rotten things that happen in this world. The Aztecs believed that the world was a struggle between good and evil and eventually evil would win and the world would then come to an end. The aztecs also had a calendar divided into 360 days, but they were aware that there were 365 days. At the end of there 360 day calendar there was a five day period during which there were feasts. They believed that evil would win and the world would end during one of these 5 day periods. They were right. Cortez arrived during one of these 5 day periods. The arrival of Cortez brought about the end of the Aztec civilization.
  • abycinn... toni 2012/06/26 18:27:50
    abycinnamon BN-1
    And how right those aztecs were.

I can't say I have a problem with the idea of a creator, I just don't agree with it. But other people can believe all they want. I do agree with your points on religion. I find beliefs that unreasonably condemn others to be unhealthy. People have the right to such beliefs but I feel very bad for their relatives (who might be gay), and they absolutely do not have the right to impose their beliefs on others. I'd really prefer that they just kept their mouths shut and kept their malignant beliefs to themselves.
  • toni abycinn... 2012/06/27 01:21:54
    toni
    +1
    They can preach all they want, they just need to understand that if they preach to me I am not going to just smile and be polite. I find it totally unacceptable for my tax dollars to be used to support religion in any way. If you try to tell my kids there is a god - I will most definitely tell yours there is NO god. Religion is superstitution and it has ruled human life far too long.
  • Gracie ... toni 2012/06/27 02:21:35
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    Why, my tax dollars has to go to abort someone's mistake? But, since their is no God, it's cool, right?
  • toni Gracie ... 2012/06/27 03:01:50
    toni
    I know of no instances where your tax dollars are spent for abortions.
  • abycinn... Gracie ... 2012/06/27 03:57:45 (edited)
    abycinnamon BN-1
    Your tax dollars are, with very few exceptions, scrupulously excluded from use for abortions. Your friends on the right have seen to that, and it has been the case for many years. The exceptions are only in a few states, and those exceptions are only for rape, incest, and when the life of the mother is at risk. Do you disagree with abortion in those circumstances if it is the desire of the victim, child victim, or potentially dead mother (who may have other children who will become motherless)?
  • abycinn... toni 2012/06/27 03:56:15
    abycinnamon BN-1
    couldn't agree more.
  • JoeM~PWCM~JLA 2012/06/12 23:09:26
    JoeM~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    Great video. I agree with the conclusions with my whole heart, mind and soul.
  • ThinkAboutIt! 2012/06/11 22:23:17
    ThinkAboutIt!
    +3
    Thank You Gracie!
  • petean05 2012/06/11 22:00:46
    petean05
    +1
    I went to a show entitled, "The Rap Guide to Evolution", with an excellent artist, Baba Brinkman. He would argue for a different perspective than this man.

That being said, I have a problem with any person who tries to silence a perspective different from their own. If your beliefs are not strong enough to be examined, debated, and dissented, then maybe you need to re-examine them.
  • goblue1968 2012/06/11 15:00:04
    goblue1968
    +1
    The title of the video "God is Dead" is based upon a faulty premise in the first place.

In order for something to be dead, it would have to have first been alive.
  • Haley 2012/06/11 06:34:20
    Haley
    +3
    I'm undecided about god and religion but the priest was articulate and.... lyrical lol
  • Cindy64~PATRIOT WARRIOR 2012/06/11 05:03:51
    Cindy64~PATRIOT WARRIOR
    +3
    LOVE this !!!! This is just GREAT!! I belive in God !! No one can nor will take my faith away as i believe in God and Jesus who gave his life for me!! !! I choose my faith and that is in God !! I have been touched by God many times and i have truly felt God close in so many things that have happen in my life. I have truly seen God's miracles!!! i belive in god i belive in god
  • Gracie ... Cindy64... 2012/06/11 16:34:14
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +3
    Beautiful, Cindy! I see the complexity of nature and know there is a God.
  • Cindy64... Gracie ... 2012/06/12 00:53:04
    Cindy64~PATRIOT WARRIOR
    +3
    Thank you Gracie . Take care and God bless.
  • lolitalovely 2012/06/11 04:23:39
    lolitalovely
    +10
  • Red_Horse lolital... 2012/06/11 05:36:22
  • Gracie ... Red_Horse 2012/06/11 16:38:03
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +1
    I know, it was different.
  • Gracie ... lolital... 2012/06/11 16:37:35
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +3
    Thank you for your respectful response. Many of the same scientists in the white coats believe in God because of what they know, not in spite of it.

I'd just like to point out again that 19 died in the Salem Witch Trials and I believe they lasted for a couple of months. It's hardly the dramatic occurrence in history. Millions of people have died in the last 100 years under atheism.
  • JoeM~PW... lolital... 2012/06/12 22:57:20 (edited)
    JoeM~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    If I may add a note of levity to the conversation, a new friend has this funny little missive on their page.

"Atheism: The belief there was once absolutely nothing. And nothing happened to the nothing until the nothing magically exploded (for no reason), creating everything and everywhere. Then a bunch of the exploded everything magically rearranged itself (for no reason whatsoever), into self-replicating bits which then turned into dinosaurs.

And they mock your beliefs."

I understand your position, I just came to a different conclusion.
  • toni JoeM~PW... 2012/11/18 15:01:58
    toni
    The theist arguement that there is a god because the universe cannot have come out of nothing is disingenuous. If a diety created the universe then clearly the diety came out of nothing.
  • Gracie ... toni 2012/11/18 15:05:00
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +1
    The Theist argument is that you can't comprehend creation, our brains are not fully developed yet. Just like some savants, you can't explain it or truly comprehend it, yet there it is!
  • JoeM~PW... toni 2012/12/07 20:52:38
    JoeM~PWCM~JLA
    Not disingenuous at all. The universe is finite in time, God is not.
  • gldynmd BTO-t-BCRA-F 2012/06/11 03:11:39
    gldynmd BTO-t-BCRA-F
    +3
    I believe! Nothing can convince me otherwise.
  • Jiorgia 2012/06/11 03:00:32
    Jiorgia
    +2
    It is a good video.
    I am not truly an atheist, I am really just a skeptic.
    There is no proof of gods existence either way so I choose to simply follow my own moral compass.
    Pascal's Wager has been shown to be a faulty way of believing from all aspects.

2014/08/02 02:29:57