GOD AND OUR CONSTITUTION ...

Arizona1950 2012/06/22 13:26:22

If you don't have the facts that our country and constitution was formed on the belief of a creator and divine providence .... then all you have is an opinion.

Fact: And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our fortunes, and our sacred honor.
Thomas Jefferson, US President
Declaration of Independence, Jul 4, 1776

Fact: God grants liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.
Daniel Webster, American Orator, lawyer, and statesman.
Remarks in the Senate, Jun 3, 1834. The Writings and Speeches of Daniel Webster, 1903, vol. 7, p. 47

Fact: We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge, or gallantry, would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitutuion was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams, US President.
To the Officers of the 1st Brigade of the 3rd Divsion of the Massachusets Militia, Oct 11, 1798. Adams Papers (microfilm), reel 119, Library of Congress

Fact: For my own part, I sincerely esteem it [the Constitution] a system which without the finger of God, never could have been suggested and agreed upon by such a diversity of interests.
Alexander Hamilton, member of the Constinental Congress
1st Secretary of the Treasury 1787, after the Constitutional Convention

Fact: The Founding Fathers derived their principles of limited government from a belief in natural law, that is, the concept that our Creator had ordained a framework for society giving great importance to individual freedom, expression, and responsibility. They held that each person had certain natural rights bestowed on him by God.
Ronald Reagan, US President
Proclamation 5003 - Bill or Rights Day, Human Rights Day and Week, Dec 10, 1982.

Fact: We have reason to rejoice in the prospect that the present national Government, which by the favor of Divine Providence, was formed by the common counsels and peaceably establishe with the common consent of the People, will prove a blessing to every denomination of them.
George Washington, 1st US President.
To the Religious Society Called Quakers Sept 1789. Washington Papers, Liberary of Congress.

Fact: The Constitution is the supreme law of our land and it governs our actions as citizens. Only the laws of God, which govern our consciences, are superior to it.
Gerald Ford, US President
Remarks on signing a proclamation granting pardon to Richard Nixon, Sep 8, 1974

Fact: The fundamental basis of this nation's law was given to Moses on the Mount. The fundamental basis of or Bill or Rights comes from the teaching we get from Exodus and St. Matthew, for Isaiah and St. Paul. I dont think we emphazie that enough these days. If we don't have the proper fundamental moral background, we will finally wind up with a totalitarian government which does not believe in the right of anybody except the state.
Harry Truman, US President
Address before the attorney general's conference on law enforcement problems, Feb. 15, 1950.

Fact: The real fire within the builders of America was faith - faith in a Provident God whose hand supported and guided them: faith in themselves as the children of God ... faith in their country and its principles that proclaimed man's right to freedom and justice.
Dwight D. Eisenhower, US President
Abilene homecoming, Jun 4, 1952

The guiding principle and prayer of this Nation has been, is now, and shall ever be "In God We Trust."
~ John F. Kennedy, US President
Remarks at the dedication breakfast of International Christian Leadership, Inc. February 9, 1961

Fact: Do not separate text from historical background. If you do, you will have perverted and subverted the Constitution, which can only end in a distorted, bastardized form of illegitimate government.
James Madison, US President

Fact: Life is a pilgrimage of learning, a voyage of discovery, in which our mistaken views are corrected, our distorted notions adjusted, our shallow opinions deepened and some of our vast ignorances diminished.
The Reverend John Stott
One of the most influential Anglican clergymen of the 20th century; In 2005 Time magazine declared him to be one of the 100 most influential people in the world.

In God We Trust ... it is our founding principle
    +8
    And if we lose that, judgment will come, as surely as it did on ancient Israel. And the Bible gives me no assurance that God will have the same mercy on us that He has already promised to Israel.

• Arizona... texasred 2012/06/27 13:21:02
    Arizona1950
    +2
    For the majority of America they are in the toilet and they will vote Obama to keep them there too.
  • texasred Arizona... 2012/06/27 22:53:55
    texasred
    +2
    I know.
  • Sir Bud. texasred 2012/06/29 16:40:52
    Sir Bud.
    Sherlock ran off one day as he realized he couldnt sell his BS to me and blocked me and thats now why he is using you to slur me.At least you dont play that Card.
  • texasred Sir Bud. 2012/06/30 02:59:26
    texasred
    +1
    Sometimes we get tired. Tired of trying to set you guys on the left right... no pun intended. Tired of explaining and being ignored. But I don't block unless someone gets personally nasty or I've been blocked first.
  • Sherloc... texasred 2012/06/29 15:34:20
  • texasred Sherloc... 2012/06/30 03:01:14
    texasred
    +1
    It's very hard to make people that don't believe or have faith to understand. Usually it's a life-changing event or the death-bed that does that.
  • Sissy 2012/06/23 14:04:42
    Sissy
    +4
    If you would have just had the choice "Disagree" I would have picked that one.

The only reference I Founding Fathers ever made about "God" is that we can worship Him anyway we want to and that there is to never be a state religion like many of their own forefathers escaped from because they were being persecuted.

Oh there is a mention of "Division of Church and State" as well, but that's been rather ignored especially in the last 30 years as well.
  • Arizona... Sissy 2012/06/23 15:18:17
    Arizona1950
    +5
    Well there was the option of not responding at all.
  • Sissy Arizona... 2012/06/23 15:21:06
    Sissy
    +4
    Ahhh Ari, but I love your posts. You really work at being substative and that's my only criteria for communicating with those with different ideologies. You just keep doing what you're doing and if I find that I don't want to get into a hissy fight, I will do just that, not respond, period.

Have a great weekend.
  • Arizona... Sissy 2012/06/23 15:23:42
    Arizona1950
    +4
    LOL ... shouldn't change your avatar ... however, you got an honest answer. :-)

Good to see you. It's been awhile.
  • Sissy Arizona... 2012/06/23 15:41:12
    Sissy
    +4
    Yes it has been awhile, and that's probably why I didn't pass by this chance.

P.S. I'm sooo glad you've kept your hairstyle. lol
  • Arizona... Sissy 2012/06/23 17:13:26
    Arizona1950
    +2
    Have you been busy?

I wouldn't be me without the hair. :-)
  • Sissy Arizona... 2012/06/23 17:20:55
    Sissy
    +4
    No you wouldn't and I don't EVER want to see you find another barber!

I have been on and off due to hectic "stuff". Mostly beating and shaping up my grandchildren who have now descended on us for the summer. (Just kidding, but they do keep us busy with feedng and cleaning up after them. lol)
    There have been a few trips sprinkled here and there with some more coming up.

Right now our area is hoping for rain. Our corn fields are starting to look desperate and grass fires are abound. We have rain going north and rain going south and we sit in the middle with nothing.

How have you been?
  • Arizona... Sissy 2012/06/23 17:28:13
    Arizona1950
    +2
    I've been okay ... the usualy aches and pains. It has proven to be a very early summer as we are seeing temps well into the 100s for most of the month of June. Its around 90 now with the sun just starting to climb.
  • Sissy Arizona... 2012/06/23 18:14:16
    Sissy
    +4
    The weather pattern in the country has been nuts this year so far. In March we had weather in the 80's. I never thought I would be digging out my shorts (instead of snowdrifts) and wearing them on St. Patrick's Day. Usually that time of the year finds the midwest in 6 ft. of snow. I KNEW it would not turn out good and it hasn't.
  • Arizona... Sissy 2012/06/23 23:27:41
    Arizona1950
    +2
    I wonder if its the long-range after effects of all that nuclear waste washing across the ocean from Japan. A very slight degree in ocean temperatures can wreck havoc on the weather cycle.
  • Sir Bud. Sissy 2012/06/23 21:18:38
    Sir Bud.
    +3
    But as the title makes clear,the creator does not believe in "choice"and tolerance,but instead dictation,-so no"choice"to disagree of course!.
  • Arizona... Sir Bud. 2012/06/23 23:30:04
    Arizona1950
    +2
    As I said, you didn't have to answer at all. I have a "free" option its labeled "undecided" Just because you don't like the choices doesn't mean choice is not available.
  • Sir Bud. Arizona... 2012/06/24 17:15:58
    Sir Bud.
    +2
    In creating your PUBLIC blog,-YOU are the owner and YOU are responsible for its contents and YOU are accountable therefore-not those who respond to your action by reaction which is a matter of course.But again,clearly you encourage constraint which your latest statement,-"You didnt have to answer"implies.
  • Arizona... Sir Bud. 2012/06/25 12:34:42
    Arizona1950
    +2
    Oh dear ... how moral of you when it fits your desires and direction. You must think I am a God to know that no matter how many choices I put forward someone will feel that none truly represents them so thereby the poll must be bogus.

The purpose of any blog is for one to read it before one makes a comment. My only concern is those that do have no idea what it says; but that in itself is not my problem.
  • Sir Bud. Arizona... 2012/06/26 02:07:04
    Sir Bud.
    +2
    The purpose of creating a public opinion blog is for the liberty of public debate and not public restraint by restricting and manipulating the blog to match and suit the creators own personal views.And with your two answer options of,- "In God We Trust"etc and the third one"Undecided"instead of"other",so much for your understanding and use of public opinion AND Liberty.
  • Arizona... Sir Bud. 2012/06/27 13:22:15
    Arizona1950
    +1
    You do not have a grasp of the founding principles .. please get a clue or go talk to someone else that has their head up their butt as well.
  • American☆Atheist 2012/06/22 18:40:53
    American☆Atheist
  • Arizona... America... 2012/06/23 00:24:42
    Arizona1950
    +3
    Read it again …

Adams did not deny our founding principles or his belief in a Creator … Muslim/Islam was and still is a theocracy, which combines Church and State. John Adams simply stated we are not a theocracy and as a Republic we can embrace one religion as well as another.

In As Adams said, “no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries”. Simply stated we find no value to go to war to fight religion. Our issue with the Musslemen at the time and still today is not a religious one; although [many] people would like to make it one.

To interpret it differently would mean Adams was contradicting himself and he all the founders were liars … this I highly doubt. Like the Bible as with the Declaration and our Constitution one cannot pick and choose a passage or verse from a letter or document and expect to understand without the whole body and context of how and why it was written presented. But many will for the sole purpose of distorting it.

As James Madison said, "Do not separate text from historical background. If you do, you will have perverted and subverted the Constitution, which can only end in a distorted, bastardized form of illegitimate government" ... and as John Stott said, "Life i...
    Read it again …

As James Madison said, "Do not separate text from historical background. If you do, you will have perverted and subverted the Constitution, which can only end in a distorted, bastardized form of illegitimate government" ... and as John Stott said, "Life is a pilgrimage of learning, a voyage of discovery, in which our mistaken views are corrected, our distorted notions adjusted, our shallow opinions deepened and some of our vast ignorances diminished."
  • Sherloc... Arizona... 2012/06/29 15:38:01
  • Arizona... Sherloc... 2012/06/30 02:17:19
    Arizona1950
    I also read that ... but rather than speculate I assimilate from what we have ... and it is clear to me and many other when we look at so many quotes from our founders in their beliefs and why they incorporated the teachings of Jesus with the Sermon on the Mount and the 10 Commandments into our belief system of freedom of choice, inalienable Rights from a Creator, etc., I do feel that to deny our nation was founded on Christian principles is stretching it.
  • Old Sol... America... 2012/06/24 01:00:37
    Old Soldier
    +4
    Get your articles and State of the Union addresses straight; the following is from the Constitution;

Article VI: All Debts contracted and Engagements entered into, before the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be as valid against the United States under this Constitution, as under the Confederation.

This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding.

The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States.

Now, that State of the Union address was about the need for the United States to right a few things in and around Tripoli. The Marine Anthem also mentions that mission to Tripoli, even to this day.
  • wtxwoman 2012/06/22 17:27:06
    wtxwoman
    +3
    Creator does not necessarily mean god, or, specifically the 'christian god'. You all assume that is what they meant.
  • Arizona... wtxwoman 2012/06/23 00:55:49 (edited)
    Arizona1950
    +5
    Is not a Creator the ruler of the universe ... a God.

I believe this would be found in the Bible ...

"The fundamental basis of this nation's law was given to Moses on the Mount. The fundamental basis of our Bill or Rights comes from the teaching we get from Exodus and St. Matthew, for Isaiah and St. Paul. I dont think we emphazie that enough these days. If we don't have the proper fundamental moral background, we will finally wind up with a totalitarian government which does not believe in the right of anybody except the state."
    Harry Truman, US President

Do not separate text from historical background. If you do, you will have perverted and subverted the Constitution, which can only end in a distorted, bastardized form of illegitimate government.
    James Madison, US President

The United States of America is founded on a belief in a particlar God - the God of the Holy Bible. Americans are free to believe anything they want because God has give them freedom of conscience. The Constitution guarantees everyone freedom of thought as well as equal treatment under the law. "One nation under God with liberty and justice for all." is a truth that Americans can understand and with which they can identify

Life is a pilgrimage of learning, a voyage of discovery, in which our mistaken views are corrected, our distorted notions adjusted, our shallow opinions deepened and some of our vast ignorances diminished.
    The Reverend John Stott
  • Patriot Unit 2012/06/22 17:15:06
    Patriot Unit
    +2
    The problem is that we have the notion that there is something called Separation of Church and State. The only thing that is true about that is that we fear the word God. We as a country has never favored one religion over another in our government and its operation. We have never been a Religious State or Country and unless we allow the Islamic Religion to take over, we never will be. The problem is that political correctness, has taken over the use of our common sense on everything.

The notion that we might offend somebody because of our beliefs is us being dishonest with ourselves, and that dishonesty is perpetuated by our politicians in order for them to remain in power, allowing them to do as they please with out taxes, and constitution. That is the fact of the matter. A country does not change its strips, to suit the beliefs of another country. This country is still exceptional in my opinion. And it should remain so. Te have gone from being the melting pot of the world. To being the Patsy. We are afraid of offending somebody for our honest and hard earned beliefs. We would rather kowtow and kiss some radical groups behind, than to be honest with ourselves. Believing in any God is not a bad thing, anymore than not believing is. Thinking that our believing in the Princip...

The notion that we might offend somebody because of our beliefs is us being dishonest with ourselves, and that dishonesty is perpetuated by our politicians in order for them to remain in power, allowing them to do as they please with out taxes, and constitution. That is the fact of the matter. A country does not change its strips, to suit the beliefs of another country. This country is still exceptional in my opinion. And it should remain so. Te have gone from being the melting pot of the world. To being the Patsy. We are afraid of offending somebody for our honest and hard earned beliefs. We would rather kowtow and kiss some radical groups behind, than to be honest with ourselves. Believing in any God is not a bad thing, anymore than not believing is. Thinking that our believing in the Principle of God We Trust is somehow disrupting our core, and government is so dishonest it smells. It our use of the words offends they, then move the hell out of our country, that believes that our country was founded with the help of a higher power than mans weaknesses. What offends me, is we no longer stand on our principles, but rely on the dishonesty and distrust of others to run our lives and government.
  • uguess Patriot... 2012/06/22 23:10:55 (edited)
    uguess
    +2
    American Atheist, You are another Atheist progressive trying to start a war and destroy the Constitution ! You want nothing more then to see America and her Constitution Destroyed !

You are a serious threat to the FREEDOM and AMERICA ! Poisonous snakes must be dispatched with prejudice.

FROM THEIR PROFILE PAGE : TO PROVE ITS POLITICAL AND RELIGIOUS CLAIMS.

Axxxxxxxxxxx Progressive
    Gender: Male
    Location: PA, US
    SodaHead Since: Jun. 25 '11
    Last Login: 7 days ago
    Age: 24
    Relationship Status: Single
    Sexual Orientation: Straight
    Zodiac: Pisces
    Looking For: Networking
    Education: High School Graduate
    Employment Status: Full-Time
    Career Industry: Other
    Income: $100k
    Smoker: No
    Drinker: No
    Religious Views: Atheist
    Children: Someday
    Political Views: Progressive
    Ethnicity: White/Caucasian
    Weight Type: Athletic
    Height: 5 feet 7 inches
  • Arizona... Patriot... 2012/06/23 02:04:00
    Arizona1950
    +4
    Our constitution was written to secure the rights of conscience, and a free exercise of the rights of religion, not to patronize those who profess no religion at all.

The ACLU, Freethought Association, Americans United for Separation of Church and State, and other such groups are seeking to remove the knowledge of God from our land. It is our right, indeed our duty, to resist. Citizens are called to obey civil authority, but when that civil authority rejects the God on whom are nation was founded, we must stand firm in our convictions. Under whose authority will we be governed?
  • Old Sol... Arizona... 2012/06/24 01:22:11
    Old Soldier
    +3
    Some think that Arizona, however, Jefferson made some strong statements in on his letters, one of which he wrote;

“Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are of the gift of God?”

Adams also stated this concerning the Constitution;

“Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.”

Many people want to think the founding fathers were atheist, but were that so, would Washington say something like this?

“Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports.”

And of course, Madison added his two cents, also;

“We have staked the whole future of American civilization …upon the capacity of each and every one of us to govern ourselves according to the Ten Commandments.”

I think most librials hate the fact that there is a Library of Congress for people to learn of their heritage, but the schools do not teach that such thinks can be learned. Really they work to destroy the family, and it is working. However, a few of us have taught our kids, and guided them into the military and law enforcement as I have, that they might pass it on to th...

I think most librials hate the fact that there is a Library of Congress for people to learn of their heritage, but the schools do not teach that such thinks can be learned. Really they work to destroy the family, and it is working. However, a few of us have taught our kids, and guided them into the military and law enforcement as I have, that they might pass it on to their kids. I have shown the following to my kids;

“The highest glory of the American Revolution was this: It connected in one dissoluble bond the principles of Civil Government and Principles of Christianity.” ~ John Q. Adams
    State of the Union Address 1826
  • Arizona... Old Sol... 2012/06/24 03:48:38
    Arizona1950
    +1
    Thank you ... great quotes from great men. :-)
  • uguess Patriot... 2012/06/27 10:22:17
    uguess
    +1
    OK PEOPLE, IF YOU HAVE A BRAIN, AND THERE MAY BE SOME WHO DON'T
    WATCH THIS AND YOU PICK OUT HOW MANY SIMILARITIES THERE ARE BETWEEN
    OBAMA'S "MO" AND HITLERS "MO" IT JUST MIGHT GIVE YA GOOSE BUMPS AND
    SCARE THE HE LL OUT OF YOU !

• Theresa 2012/06/22 15:40:27
    Theresa
    +3
    Nature's God is everywhere inside the original founding of our country. We were consecrated near where the world Trade center in NYC to the almighty.
  • Ishmael 2012/06/22 15:22:45
    Ishmael
    +3
    Too bad for your thesis that there's ALSO the 1799 Treaty of Tripoli

Signed by John Adams, where Article 11 expressly states:

Art. 11. As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion,—as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen [Muslims],—and as the said States never entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mahometan [Muslim] nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.
  • Quietma... Ishmael 2012/06/22 16:52:48
    Quietman   ~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Do some actual research, what your talking about is a muslim translated to english version that may or may not actually exist.
  • Ishmael Quietma... 2012/06/22 17:16:01
    Ishmael
    +1
    Doesn't Matter. Article 11 is part of the English translation of the Treaty. The Treaty was signed by President Adams and Ratified by the Senate, Giving it the force of Federal Law under the Constitution.

christianity
  • Arizona... Ishmael 2012/06/23 01:04:41
    Arizona1950
    +2
    It is amazing how zealous the atheist is about religion. LOL ... yet they have so little understandin of it.

2014/10/25 14:44:25