**** Glenn Beck is the NEW MAIN MAN!!! **** Do you watch him? You should!

Friday 2009/03/30 17:59:26
Beck seeks to rally disaffected, aggrieved Americans
By Brian Stelter and Bill Carter

New York Times News Service

Published: Monday, March 30, 2009 12:07 a.m. MDT

NEW YORK — "You are not alone," Glenn Beck likes to say. For the disaffected and aggrieved Americans of the Obama era, he couldn't have picked a better rallying cry.

Beck, an evening host on the Fox News Channel, is suddenly one of the most powerful media voices for the nation's conservative populist anger. Barely two months into his job at Fox, his program is a phenomenon: It typically draws about 2.2 million viewers, more than any other cable news host except Bill O'Reilly or Sean Hannity, despite being on at 5 p.m., a slow shift for cable news.

With a mix of moral lessons, outrage and an apocalyptic view of the future, Beck, a longtime radio host who jumped to Fox from CNN's Headline News channel this year, is channeling the feelings of an alienated class of Americans.

In an interview, Beck, who recently re-watched the 1976 film "Network," said he identified with the character of Howard Beale, the unhinged TV news anchorman who declares on the air that he was "mad as hell."

"I think that's the way people feel," Beck said. "That's the way I feel."

In part because of Beck, Fox News — long identified as the favored channel for conservatives and Republican leaders — is enjoying a resurgence just two months into President Barack Obama's term. While top-rated among cable news channels, Fox's ratings slipped during the long Democratic primary season last year. Now it is back on firm footing as the presumptive network of the opposition, with more than 1.3 million viewers watching at any given time, more than twice as many as CNN or MSNBC.

While O'Reilly, the 8 p.m. host, paints himself as the outsider and Hannity, the 9 p.m. host, is more consistently ideological, Beck presents himself more as a revivalist in a troubled land.

He preaches against politicians, features regular segments titled "Constitution Under Attack" and "Economic Apocalypse," and occasionally breaks into tears.

"That's good, dramatic television," said Phil Griffin, the president of a Fox competitor, MSNBC. "That's who Glenn Beck is."

Beck says he believes every word he says on his TV show and the radio show that he still does from 9 a.m. to noon each weekday. He said that America is "on the road to socialism" and says that "God and religion are under attack in the U.S." (Beck is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and for the third year in a row, he will emcee Provo's Stadium of Fire Fourth of July celebration.)

At the same time, though, he says he is an entertainer. "I'm a rodeo clown," he said repeatedly, adding once with a coy smile, "It takes great skill."

And like a rodeo clown, Beck incites critics to attack by dancing in front of them.

• PJ Sweet Cheeks 2009/03/30 18:14:21
    Good show! Makes me feel like there is Hope and Change when Barry is gone!
    PJ  Sweet Cheeks
    +13
    Love him and his passion for this country! He only speaks the facts and is very sincere about how he feels for this great country! He does not care about the parties only about where this country is headed! I wished everyone watched him people would be better informed.

facts feels country care parties country headed watched people informed

• dobemom 2009/07/29 00:02:33
    dobemom
    +1
    Beck is crazy but he is almost always right as scary as that may be.
  • skroehr 2009/07/13 22:26:38
    skroehr
    I'm thinking of checking him out. I see his books all over the place. Don't know much about him. If he's a staunch Republican, I probably won't care for him, any more than Hannity or Olberman over on the Dem side. Just not much of a rah rah partisan I'm afraid. I'm already hesitant because of the description of him as being apocalyptic. I also tend to favor optimism. If he's pro life, however, and is NOT gung ho war monger, and IS for the rights of the religious, then he might be a breath of fresh air for us politically disenfranchised folks without a party. Eh....I'll shut up and just give it a try. More later.
  • drakan 2009/07/13 00:24:50
    The man is cool!
    drakan
    +2
    He's made of awesome and win~
  • driley 2009/07/12 03:05:38
    driley
    +2
    Just finished his book, "Common Sense". It was so good I passed it on.
  • drakan driley 2009/07/13 00:26:25
    drakan
    +2
    You reminded me to read it all the way through. XD;
  • Justice 2009/07/12 02:26:27
    Barry pays attention to Glenn! That's why Glenn hired "Blackwater"!
    Justice
    +1
    He is very gifted in his ability to make a point from more than one angle. I have seen him on stage many years ago
  • Gracie - Proud Conservative 2009/07/11 23:30:06
    The man is cool!
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +3
    I listen to his radio show, watch his TV show, went to his Comedy Tour and follow him on Twitter. I'm not someone who is star struck, I just believe in what he is saying. I've just finished Common Sense and it was filled with common sense, which we just don't have very much of these days.

If we could just get liberals to listen they would see how much sense he makes and how educated his opinions are. They hate him and I fear for his safety and that of his family.
  • Jwalden --- Constitution Party 2009/07/11 17:23:54
    Jwalden --- Constitution Party
    +2
    It's funny when the stupid Libs think that Rush is the only one that can speak for us. Show's how stupid they really are.
  • Friday Ken 2009/07/11 16:13:14
    Friday
    +3
    I agree......... Ann Coulter speaks to me! ann coulter speaks
  • Ken Friday 2009/07/11 16:32:27
    +3
    I saw Ann do the O'Rilley show last night while Bill was off. It was super.
  • Friday Ken 2009/07/11 16:34:36
    Friday
    +3
    She's very smart, very witty, very clever, very good writer, very good at bashing Liberals and very attractive! Did I miss anything?
  • dobemom Friday 2009/07/29 00:04:20
    dobemom
    +1
    No I think you covered it all..
  • skroehr Friday 2009/07/13 22:31:04
    skroehr
    Oh man, Glenn isn't a Coulter fan is he? She REALLY REALLY bugs me, and I'm not even a liberal. Attractive? mmmm okay. I guess that's in the eye of the beholder. Certainly not my type. She grates on me like Olberman or O'Reilly. Not a point in Beck's favor, but I'm still going to check him out.
  • babibumer 2009/06/22 22:54:20 (edited)
    babibumer
    Glenn Beck wouldn't recognize a fact if it jumped up and bit him on his backside. And if he were to ever actually speak a fact, his freakin' tongue would fall off!! And don't think he is so Right Wing. He's an actor! By his own admission, if MSNBC offered him enough money, he'd go there! Yah - Beck - man with principles. I'll think and rant in whichever direction the money is!!!
  • Friday babibumer 2009/07/03 15:38:24
    Friday
    +2
    Only a "Liberal" could be as naive as you seem to be! Wait, YOU ARE A LIBERAL!!!! I love Liberals! liberal naive wait liberal love liberals
  • drakan babibumer 2009/07/13 00:29:38
  • dobemom babibumer 2009/07/29 00:05:39
    dobemom
    +1
    It amazes me how angry you liberals get when someone disagrees with you even when it is the truth---Beck is right almost all the time....
  • Scoop 2009/06/22 20:32:11
    The man is cool!
    Scoop
    +4
    Glenn Beck should run for President! cool glenn beck run president
  • dobemom Scoop 2009/07/29 00:06:14
    dobemom
    +1
    Beck/Palin--that would kill the Liberals....LOL
  • get real 2009/04/29 03:53:43
    get real
    Sometimes I listen to him on the radio. For the most part he is pretty good. Now that Savage jerk I can't stand.
  • BlondieBrownEyes 2009/04/14 23:26:26 (edited)
  • babibumer Blondie... 2009/06/22 22:56:21
    babibumer
    LOL! Might as well be! He is as far as I am concerned - except for the fact his hateful racist comments keep the Right all riled up and looking for revenge. And there's nothing funny about that! Actually, it's pretty scary - all of Cluster Fox News.
  • dobemom babibumer 2009/07/29 00:06:54
    dobemom
    You are pathetic.....your President is the racist one.
  • IG2MIR 2009/04/03 18:47:39
    IG2MIR
    +1
    On 3/12 Beck made a comment regarding the shootings in South Alabama which occured on 3/10, almost empathizing with the killer and blaming the shootings on liberal ideals and the media. Beck's comments are an insult to the families of the victims, as well as to the victim's memories. I am still disgusted with Beck, the reason being that one of the shooting victims was a distant cousin of mine.
  • babibumer IG2MIR 2009/06/22 22:55:09
    babibumer
    +1
    He is a moron.
  • jr 2009/04/01 01:23:41
    The man is cool!
    jr
    +4
    Go Glenn Go :o)
  • Rover 2009/03/31 21:39:04
    The man is cool!
    Rover
    +3
    I watch him, and like him!
  • Disappointed 2009/03/31 21:26:41
    The man is cool!
    Disappointed
    +5
    He's the main man alright, I love the way this man is sooooooo honest and logical. You can really understand where he's coming from and going to. I think he's the best Fox has. cool main alright love sooooooo honest logical understand fox
  • PJ Swe... Disappo... 2009/04/01 12:06:43
    PJ  Sweet Cheeks
    +3
    100%!!!
  • Disappo... PJ Swe... 2009/04/01 14:18:48
    Disappointed
    +2
    Thanks pj, don't you just think this guy is so normal? He discusses issues just like you and I would. His actions is really whats so normal, when he hears things so ridiculous he gets crazy, I love that about him it's so natural.
  • PJ Swe... Disappo... 2009/04/01 16:00:51
    PJ  Sweet Cheeks
    +2
    I know and at times makes laugh. He is a true person and it shows!
  • PJ Swe... Disappo... 2009/04/01 16:02:15
    PJ  Sweet Cheeks
    +1
    I know and at times makes me laugh! He is a true person and it shows!
  • John Cunningham 2009/03/31 21:06:11
    John Cunningham
    +1
    Now if he can organise a march on Washington, I will be there with bells on. Also, we have got to hope that he doesn't get shot first.
  • ace771 2009/03/31 16:18:50
    ace771
  • PJ Swe... ace771 2009/03/31 21:11:52
    PJ  Sweet Cheeks
    +1
    He has my vote!
  • IG2MIR PJ Swe... 2009/07/31 17:29:42
    IG2MIR
    Then you are a fool.
  • Friday IG2MIR 2010/03/12 19:23:56
    Friday
    He is!
  • drakan ace771 2009/07/13 00:30:29
    drakan
    +1
    Heck yes. :]]
  • ALofRI 2009/03/31 15:24:59
    ALofRI
    Birds of a feather........O'Rielly, Hannitty, Beck, Adolph, Coultergiest, etc.etc. All unfair and unbalanced. I used to watch Fox all the time, sometimes I even agreed with Orally. Then along came Sean, then Anne, then the party got rough and I pulled up my pants and went home. I still stop there once in a while, until I start to puke, then move on to honesty, like the BBC news or the REAL fair and balanced places.

2014/09/02 02:40:37