Given a choice, would you rather visit a private doctor or a doctor that is part of a socialist healthcare system?

Walt 2012/07/02 00:22:51
Related Topics: Doctor, Healthcare
Quality of care is highly overrated. I'd pick the socialist healthcare.
I would trust the quality of the private doctor to be superior.
Other. (Please comment.)

• angelbaby 2012/07/02 00:51:32 (edited)
    angelbaby
    +13
    We are in the process of composing a letter to our patients informing them that effective 01-01-2013 we will be on a cash basis only .. We will be terminating
    all contracts we hold with insurance carriers and if your
    hospitalized that will mean the on-call doc will be
    taking over your care while inpatient. From what I
    understand many private practice docs are doing this
    very same thing.

~ you can thank Obama!

• Wesloco Chi~Cat 2012/07/02 11:21:54
    Wesloco
    Why thank you Chi-Cat, I consider myself pretty special too! By the way, you look awesome on that bike! Is that a Harley?
  • JanHopkins 2012/07/02 03:36:05
    JanHopkins
    +3
    It is bad enough to have to go see a doctor. I don't want to be herded like cattle or involve myself in a million questioneers and forms or be talked down to as most of the socialist types love to do.
  • Ahrtal 2012/07/02 03:26:51
    Other. (Please comment.)
    Ahrtal
    +2
    Guess that's already been decided for me. Thank You, Dear Leader!
  • Gracie - Proud Conservative 2012/07/02 03:25:26
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +4
    We go to Whistler, which is in British Columbia, Canada almost every summer and sometimes in the winter. We've had experiences with the Canadian system as non-citizens. We ride downhill mountain bikes and a friend was knocked unconscious in a fall. When she woke up we took her to the local emergency room and they asked for $500 up front and the rest at discharge. Well, she refused to pay it so they refused to see her. Can you see the headlines in America if a hospital refused to treat her based on money and she had a brain bleed? In Canada they employ the 3 F's...friends, family and favors. That is how you get in line for elective surgery! No thanks to socialized medicine!
  • bags the Indigenous Guru 2012/07/02 03:18:29
    Other. (Please comment.)
    bags the Indigenous Guru
    +2
    My Doctor is part of the 'socialist healthcare system'. So, to me, it's a moot point.
  • The Duke 2012/07/02 03:12:41
    The Duke
    +3
    I just recently retired and signed up for Medicare. I had been going to an Indian Health Service clinic. While it is not socialist healthcare, I think it is a very good example of what 0bamacare will be if we have the dire misfortune of not getting it repealed.

When I started going there in 2007 (had been healthy as the proverbial horse until my heart attack that year) the service was decent enough. About a 2-week waiting period for a scheduled appointment on average.

Just prior to my signing up for Medicare and switching to a private physician, the average waiting period was up to 2 MONTHS (or more), which is the primary reason I decided to switch. Also, the treatment I received rarely, if ever, included anything resembling preventative care (such things as x-rays, CT scans, MRIs and endoscopy services).

While I do not fault the quality of the doctors or staff, the care was at best minimal.

Upon switching to a private practice doctor, I was immediately scheduled for a cardiac stress test with CT scan to establish a baseline, as well as a colonoscopy, which was necessary as my mother had been treated for colon cancer some years ago. I seriously doubt either of these would have been made available at IHS unless I was presenting dire symptoms.

And I fully expect 0bamac...

And I fully expect 0bamacare to be considerably worse, due to increased patient volume, decreased staffing/facilities, and worst of all, the procrastination for care by the bureaucracies (over 150) that will have been put in place
  • MarinerFH 2012/07/02 02:53:49
  • Gregaj7 2012/07/02 02:47:01
    Other. (Please comment.)
    +1
    Neither. My "health-care" is handled by My Saviour. I have one future surgery in mind within the next two years.
  • The Libertarian 2012/07/02 02:46:13
    The Libertarian
    +5
    Somehow the thought of a Government Doctor scares me.

government doctor scares
  • Pedro D... The Lib... 2012/07/02 08:02:59
    +2
    Do we have a choice!
  • Chief 2012/07/02 02:25:52
    Other. (Please comment.)
    Chief
    +3
    Native American medicine man.
  • Biki~pwcm/potl~ 2012/07/02 02:19:24
    Biki~pwcm/potl~
    +3
    I basically have socialized medicine, meaning military medicine. And I can't tell you how many inept doctors I've seen, since most of them couldn't make it in medical schools without the military to "help them along". My sister who also has military medicine is very sick and always growing tumors...guess what, the military can't handle her case and sends her to private doctors. What will she do when all the doctors are "government lackeys in a white coat"???
  • Vision of Verve 2012/07/02 02:13:23
  • 4570GOVT 2012/07/02 02:09:37
    4570GOVT
    +6
    The ONLY people who would pick socialist healthcare are the ones who Enjoy Spending The Day WAITING IN LINE at the " Free Clinic " !
    If you have never been to a " Free Clinic " , it is much like this - Everybody should arrive at 8:00 AM - you take a number and wait - you " MAY " be seen at NOON and you may get seen by closing ! If THIS is what you want from your doctor You Will Love ObamaCare !
  • The Duke 4570GOVT 2012/07/02 03:20:47
    The Duke
    +3
    Indian Health Service calls it a walk-in appointment, which is
    like you describe, but have to add there's a pretty fair chance you
    won't get seen at all and will have to try again the next day.
  • 4570GOVT The Duke 2012/07/02 07:06:48
    4570GOVT
    +3
    See what we have to look foreward to . As " regular doctors " give up their practice due to burdonsom regulations ( and turning their office into assenbly lines ) , the quality of healthcare will plummet . Long Waits ( VERY long waits ) will be common and you will be treated like a number .
  • merlinskiss 2012/07/02 02:06:00
    Other. (Please comment.)
    merlinskiss
    +4
    Both have their place. Having grown up in Europe, I have seen their governed healthcare and it was excellent overall. In the private sector though, there is always doubt. What do you call the least qualified med student that graduates? Doctor. And then there is greed and avarice. Not part of the hypocritic oath...
  • Mog of War 2012/07/02 02:03:03
    Other. (Please comment.)
    Mog of War
    +1
    It's irrelevant. Obamacare is not any more socialist than the stupid law that says we have to buy car insurance, and I want Obamacare repealed for the same reason I want the stupid law that says we have to buy car insurance repealed....

Now that I've got that out of the way, The main reason I find this question to be irrelevant, is I believe America has a superior quality of doctor even if it's health care system is not, and will not be made superior by Obamacare either. And hypothetically socializing the medicical system might cause some problems with the system, decreasing the quality in care given is not something I foresee, unless the superior doctors choose to leave the country... And where will they go, America pays it's doctors so friggin' well that even if we cut their incomes by 75% in the process of socializing our medical care, they would make more money past living expenses than if they went to ANY other country in the world. Don't misconstrue this as I'm pro-socialized medicine... however the MAIN REASON the American doctor became the best doctor in the world overall, was American society's view, that Doctor's were PUBLIC SERVANTS even though their practices are in the Private Sector. And the main reason our medical system is broken today, is the HIPPOCRATIC ...

Now that I've got that out of the way, The main reason I find this question to be irrelevant, is I believe America has a superior quality of doctor even if it's health care system is not, and will not be made superior by Obamacare either. And hypothetically socializing the medicical system might cause some problems with the system, decreasing the quality in care given is not something I foresee, unless the superior doctors choose to leave the country... And where will they go, America pays it's doctors so friggin' well that even if we cut their incomes by 75% in the process of socializing our medical care, they would make more money past living expenses than if they went to ANY other country in the world. Don't misconstrue this as I'm pro-socialized medicine... however the MAIN REASON the American doctor became the best doctor in the world overall, was American society's view, that Doctor's were PUBLIC SERVANTS even though their practices are in the Private Sector. And the main reason our medical system is broken today, is the HIPPOCRATIC OATH that the doctor swears by, cannot be properly upheld within the confines of regulations imposed upon doctors by Insurance companies, and legislation put through by the Insurance lobby. The view of hospitals and doctors offices as businesses first, and insurance and pharmaceutical companies set outrageous prices, forcing doctors to do the same. (A major inflation agent is "Malpractice Insurance..." it forces doctors to keep prices high because they pay high rates and they are mandated by law to buy it.)
  • 4570GOVT Mog of War 2012/07/02 02:11:18
    4570GOVT
    +2
    WOOOOOOOOOOWEEEEEEEEEEEE ! ROFLMFAO@THAT !
  • Mog of War 4570GOVT 2012/07/02 02:20:18
  • I would trust the quality of the private doctor to be superior.
    Jerry (Iron Priest)☮ R ☮ P ☮ 201
    +5
    Have you ever noticed that government run agencies are extremely unorganized and full of red tape?
  • 4570GOVT Jerry (... 2012/07/02 02:13:23
    4570GOVT
    +2
    Yes I have , and a trip to your doctor is ALWAYS like an All Day Wait !
  • The Duke 4570GOVT 2012/07/02 03:24:43
    The Duke
    +3
    My doctor (private practice) usually sees me in not more than an hour, and usually more like 30 minutes.
  • 4570GOVT The Duke 2012/07/02 07:08:24
    4570GOVT
    +3
    Mine too !
  • chicago 2012/07/02 01:33:49 (edited)
    Other. (Please comment.)
    chicago
    +2
    If I had the financial resources I'd have the best insurance money could buy (luckily I do) and I'd go to the Dr. I felt was the best qualified, well trained, competent and experienced. If I had limited resources, or finances were a major concern, I'd happily go to a Dr. provided to me by a "socialist" medical program, just like Medicare does.
  • Schläue~© chicago 2012/07/02 12:57:54 (edited)
    Schläue~©
    +1
    Don't know much about Medicare ... do you? The doctors didn't come from a govt. puppy-mill. They are well established in their own practice and are listed as a CHOICES for those with Medicare. It is the doctors CHOICE whether or not to be a participant in the program which far from being socialized medicine.
    It's nowhere near what they could be getting on their own had they had a private retirement acct. but they're not forced to go to doctors that are playing with their Game-Boy in the hall way while you wait to be seen.
    These people are getting back the $$ the goobermint stole from their paychecks for years.
    They choose from a list of private practice doctors & hospitals.

All of that goes away with 0bozoTax.
  • chicago Schläue~© 2012/07/02 14:22:59
    chicago
    Your're conjecture, assumptions and conclusions are....interesting, but probably not a good use of either of ours time to ramble down that road.

It seems like the only issue you had with my statement was comparing socialized medicine to Medicare. Okey dokey, I'll amend, just for you.

"If I had the financial resources I'd have the best insurance money could buy (luckily I do) and I'd go to the Dr. I felt was the best qualified, well trained, competent and experienced. If I had limited resources, or finances were a major concern, I'd happily go to a Dr. provided to me by a "socialist" medical program, just like they have in Australia, Israel, UK, Canada, etc."
  • jc 2012/07/02 01:32:36
    jc
    +4
    I want the doctor of my choice who has been familiar with me and my health throughout the years.Not some socialist healthcare doctor who is too overworked and underpaid to care.
  • Beccy 2012/07/02 01:31:35
    Other. (Please comment.)
    +1
    It depends on what was the matter. Cold or the flu I don't think it matters.
  • 4570GOVT Beccy 2012/07/02 02:14:36
    4570GOVT
    +2
    Even a cold or flu is an all day wait !
  • Al B Thayer 2012/07/02 01:30:31
    Al B Thayer
    +5
    My brother lived with his family in Sweden for 18 years. When he could he came to the US for births of his children and major medical procedures. He said they were hacks.
  • 4570GOVT Al B Th... 2012/07/02 02:15:32
    4570GOVT
    +2
    European doctors ( in the system ) ARE hacks .
  • Christine/Rest in peace Pet... 2012/07/02 01:29:54 (edited)
    Christine/Rest in peace Peter Br
    +5
    I have one doctor left that I have to drive 300 miles to see, and he is excellent. Our family doctor hung up his shingle with Obamacare, and after having to wait two months to find another doctor excepting patients, I am stuck with co-op cattle call medical care
  • Barefoot Peace and Love∞ijm... 2012/07/02 01:25:34
    Barefoot Peace and Love∞ijm♥☮♥∞
    +6
    I'd like to choose my own doctor.....!!
  • Hula girl - Friends not Fol... 2012/07/02 01:20:23
    Hula girl - Friends not Followers
    +4
    Socialized medicine is proven defective.
  • 4570GOVT Hula gi... 2012/07/02 02:16:55
    4570GOVT
    +3
    Yes It Is ....................... Hurry-up and wait in line at the Free Clinic !
  • I. Car Rus 2012/07/02 01:17:03
    Other. (Please comment.)
    I. Car Rus
    Which is less arrogant?
  • 4570GOVT I. Car Rus 2012/07/02 02:17:34
    4570GOVT
    +1
    MD's - Family Doctors .
  • Kiosk Kid 2012/07/02 01:14:48
    Kiosk Kid
    +5
    Doctors working in a socialized medical system make the same amout no mater what they do. You are simple part of the herd that goes through there everyday.

2014/12/21 04:06:42