Gilad Shalit: Should Israel Exchange Prisoners for his Release from Hamas?

Fef 2009/11/24 07:18:14
Exchange: Israel should make a deal for Shalit
No Exchange: Israel should not make a deal for Shalit
Palestinian terrorists captured Gilad Shalit, an Israeli soldier, on 25 June 2006 in a cross-border raid.

A newspaper affiliated with Hamas reported that the deal hinges on one prisoner whose release is still being negotiated by the two sides. The report comes on the heels of a report Sunday by Fox News which said that Israel has approved a final list of 70 prisoners to be exchanged as part of the 450 prisoners named by Hamas in exchange for Shalit. The list replaces 70 other prisoners that were rejected by the Jewish state.

Hamas has refused requests from the Red Cross (ICRC) to allow visits by the ICRC.

Read More: http://www.jewishjournal.com/israel/article/pms_of...

• Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA 2009/11/25 00:58:31
    Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA
    +4
    Israel should make the deal then move all the palestinians to the border with syria and place a mile wide mine field on their side.

• dick 2009/11/28 21:34:24
    dick
    +1
    They should demand his release and tell the enemy they will execute 10 soldiers if he is not released and will execute 50 if he is harmed and then do it threats are worthless if they are not carried out!
  • XENON23 2009/11/28 21:17:19
    XENON23
  • David 2009/11/26 20:25:21
    David
    +1
    Israel should inject the terrorists with a slow, irreversable, fatal poison, then exchange them. Two weeks later, they all mysteriously die.
  • CODE 11 2009/11/26 04:13:38
    CODE 11
    +1
    It's just to much 450 for 1. You can't deal with these people..give an in they'll take a mile
  • observer 2009/11/25 07:28:00
    observer
    +2
    Israel shouldn't exchange 1 its soldier for hundreds or thousands of the Arabs. It will give the Arabs incentives to capture more Israeli soldiers, knowing that for release of just 1 of them will give the Arabs in return hundreds of the Arab enemies of Israel.
    Exchange like this one works against interest of Israel, and shouldn't take place.
  • pbunny 2009/11/25 02:42:46
    pbunny
    +2
    They should just go get him or do whatever they think is right.
    Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA
    +4
  • Connie 2009/11/25 00:44:16
    Connie
    +3
    None of the above. Both the Israelis and the Palestinians should exchange prisoners equally, one for one. Is this such an archaic idea?

I don't get what makes this particular person so important...even after reading the article.

I'm really sick and tired of this archaic issue....which is what it really is.

By God, it's time for peace.
  • TinCanSailor 2009/11/24 23:54:21
    TinCanSailor
    +3
    Negotiating with terrorists is impossible, expecially Hamas. You can never trust them and they would renig on any agreement. It is not fair to Shalit but Israel knows how to face reality. There is no "win win" for Israel on this one.
  • One Second to Live 2009/11/24 23:23:55 (edited)
    One Second to Live
  • Theodon 2009/11/24 21:37:17
    Theodon
    +2
    I know Israel has an ingrained policy of never leaving the body of a soldier or a captive in the hands of an enemy. American forces have a similar policy but Israel takes it a step further. I reckon the morale of the services are increased knowing that captives and bodies are accorded such importance.

I hate to say it but Israel should negotiate harder and not give up so much for a body or a captive. I guess the best thing to be said is that the Jihadists agree that the body or life of one Israeli is worth hundreds of Jihadists.
  • Michael 2009/11/24 18:02:02
    Michael
    +3
    Interesting that one for 450! Shows Israel's value of life...
  • VICTORIA Michael 2009/11/24 22:17:52
    VICTORIA
    1 Israeli is being held prisoner by Palestinians, while
    10,756 Palestinians are currently imprisoned by Israel.

See stats below.
  • One Sec... VICTORIA 2009/11/24 23:26:52
    One Second to Live
    +1
    Is that true? Is Palestine only holding ONE prisoner anywhere in the world?
  • VICTORIA One Sec... 2009/11/25 00:01:11
    VICTORIA
    See stats below.
  • VICTORIA One Sec... 2009/11/25 00:34:22 (edited)
    VICTORIA
    +1
    Judge Rules Arab Teens Need Protection from Israeli Justice

Israel's Two-Tiered Justice System

By JONATHAN COOK

in Nazareth.

An Israeli judge made an historic ruling last week when he decided that an Arab teenager needed “protection” from the justice system and ordered that he not be convicted despite being found guilty of THROWING STONES AT A POLICE CAR during a protest against Israel’s attack last winter on Gaza.

Prosecutors had demanded that the juvenile, a 17-year-old from Nazareth in northern Israel, be convicted of endangering a vehicle on the road, a charge that carries a PUNISHMENT OF UP TO 20 YEARS IMPRISONMENT, as a way to deter other members of Israel’s Arab minority from committing similar offences.

But Judge Yuval Shadmi said discrimination in the Israeli legal system’s treatment of Jewish and Arab minors, particularly in cases of what he called “ideologically motivated” offences, was “common knowledge”.

In the verdict, he wrote: “I will say that the state is not authorised to CARESS with ONE HAND the JEWISH ‘ideological’ felons, and FLOG with its OTHER HAND the ARAB ‘ideological’ felons.”

He referred in particular to the lenient treatment by the police and courts both of Jewish settler youths who have attacked soldiers in the West Bank and who violently resisted the dise...

Israel's Two-Tiered Justice System

By JONATHAN COOK

in Nazareth.

He referred in particular to the lenient treatment by the police and courts both of Jewish settler youths who have attacked soldiers in the West Bank and who violently resisted the disengagement from the Gaza Strip in 2005, and of religious extremists who have spent many months battling police to prevent the opening of a car park on the Sabbath in Jerusalem.

Abir Baker, a lawyer with Adalah, a legal group for Israel’s 1.3 million-strong Arab minority, said the ruling was the first time a judge in a criminal court had ackowledged that the state pursued a policy of systematic discrimination in demanding HARSHER PUNISHMENTS for Arab citizens.

“We have known this for a long time, but it has been something very hard for us to prove to the court’s satisfaction,” she said. “Now we have a legal precedent that we can use to appeal against convictions in similar cases.”

The youth was arrested during a protest on a road near Nazareth a few days after Israel launched its operation in Gaza last December.

Dozens of demonstrations took place in Israel during the four-week attack, leading to the ARREST OF 830 protesters in what human rights groups described as often brutal Israeli police action.

The overwhelming majority of those arrested, say the rights groups, were Arab citizens, despite the participation of Israeli Jews. Adalah reported that 250 protesters were subsequently indicted, almost all of them Arabs and half of them minors.

Judge Richard Goldstone, in his United Nations fact-finding report into the Gaza assault published in September, wrote that he had been “struck” by the fact that despite many counter-demonstrations by RIGHT-WING JEWS THATHAD TURNED VIOLENT the police appeared to have made “NO ARRESTS” in those cases.

He also noted that, according to the information he had seen, most Arab protesters had been refused bail and held in detention for lengthy periods, even in cases where they faced relatively MINOR CHARGES.

Of the court system, Mr Goldstone concluded that “the element of discrimination between … and differential treatment of Palestinian and Jewish citizens of Israel by the judicial authorities, as reflected in the reports received, is a substantial cause for concern”.

The ruling by the Nazareth juvenile court appeared to confirm those findings.

Mr Shadmi wrote in his verdict that, in recent years, the Israeli authorities had been “working on TWO FUNDAMENTALLY DIFFERENT ENFORCEMENT LEVELS in relation to crimes perpetrated by [Israeli] minors”.

He pointed out that in cases of violence by Jewish youths against the security services, legal proceedings were usually frozen or cancelled before the indictment stage. He said he had not heard of a single instance of a Jewish minor being sent to prison for such offences, even though most Arab minors were convicted and jailed.

The judge admitted that he had nearly been swayed by prosecution demands for a lengthy jail term for the youth, who cannot be named because of his age. But ultimately, he said, he had been persuaded by the defence’s argument that similar cases of “ideological violence” involving Jewish youths -- such as settler attacks on soldiers -- rarely, if ever, merited jail terms.

“If the state feels that ideological offences justify relatively forgiving enforcement for minors, then this should be the policy towards ALL minors regardless of nationality or religion.”

Earlier this year the justice ministry recommended that 40 Jewish settlers convicted of resisting the disengagement from Gaza be pardoned on the grounds that their acts “were prompted by an unusual historical event and that the perpetrators are not felons”. According to Israeli media reports, many of the settlers arrested over the dissengagement will never be brought to trial.

Mr Shadmi ordered the Nazareth youth to refrain from committing any offence against the police for two years against a bond of $1,300. In a procedure mainly reserved for juvenile offences, he sentenced the youth to 200 hours of community service without convicting him.

The verdict was greeted with surprise by the youth’s family. The father told the Israeli media: “Thank God we had a judge like him, who is not motivated by racism. This may lead the state of Israel to understand that it’s time to stop treating the Arab population like enemies.”

The prosecution announced that it would appeal against the decision.

Gideon Fishman, a sociology professor at Haifa University who has made a study of criminal sentencing policies in Israel, said he was not aware of research into discriminatory policies by prosecutors towards juvenile offenders. However, he said he was sure that there was systematic bias.

“The judge is right to raise his voice against a policy that is more lenient towards Jewish offenders. This is a policy being pursued by state prosecutors intentionally and not by accident, and it undermines trust in the system.”

Judge Shadmi referred only to discrimination in sentencing in Israeli criminal courts.

Palestinians from the occupied territories are tried in Israeli military courts under different legal rules and procedures that have been severely criticised by human rights groups.
    http://www.counterpunch.org/c...
  • One Sec... VICTORIA 2009/11/25 01:06:12
    One Second to Live
    +1
    That does not answer my question in any way. You stated "1Israeli is being held prisoner by Palestinians...." Is that true that Palestinians are only holding 1 prisoner? Please answer my question to your statement. I couldn't care less about the Israel's corrupt justice system.
  • VICTORIA One Sec... 2009/11/25 01:16:37
    VICTORIA
    +1
    Yes, Palestinians are only holding ONE Israeli prisoner.

His name is Gilad Shalit, and he is the subject of this blog.

It is his release that is being negotiated with the Israeli government.
    Well, they are trying anyway- but Netanyahu seems unwilling to even discuss it.

Since you interjected, and engaged me, and seemed not to understand what I was saying, I guess you needed it explained.

Apparently you misunderstood what I posted. I'll re-post-

"1 Israeli is being held prisoner by Palestinians, while
    10,756 Palestinians are currently imprisoned by Israel. "

There you go.
  • One Sec... VICTORIA 2009/11/25 01:38:27
    One Second to Live
    +2
    Thanks for being angry. I love it. If 10,756 Americans threw rocks at police cars then 10,756 Americans would wind up in jail! Too bad for Palestinians but I think it's illegal everywhere to do that. Maybe Palestinians should start arresting Israelis for throwing rocks instead of throwing rocks themselves but in the end I was only wanting you to clear that up for me because I thought you were being sarcastic but now I could care less and if they all kill each other and I am still standing it won't bother me one bid because I have no compassion my soul is black and I am an INFIDEL! SORRY I ASKED YOU A QUESTION!
  • VICTORIA One Sec... 2009/11/25 03:07:24
    VICTORIA
    +1
    How could you possibly interpret statistics as an expression of sarcasm?
    It's okay, clearly you need someone to vent upon.
    I don't mind.
  • One Sec... VICTORIA 2009/11/25 22:42:56
    One Second to Live
    +1
    I thought you might have being SARCASTIC when you stated that they are holding one prisoner. People have been known to be sarcastic at times. And statistics have been known to be incorrect. God forbid I question you or anybody else when STATISTICS are listed.How couldYOU possibly not understand? I guess I do need to vent. I guess I need to tell you that I and many others couldn't give a rat's a55 about the so called "plight" of the Palestinians! They can all go eat a GOD DAMNED PORK CHOP and suffer the consequences (of food poisoning of course). SORRY I ASKED YOU A QUESTION. I'm sorry you think you're so much better than others that your words cannot be questioned or even misunderstood. I simply wanted you to clear that up for me.
  • VICTORIA One Sec... 2009/11/26 03:59:58 (edited)
    VICTORIA
    No. Since I said see stats below-
    both times.

See stats below.
    One Sec... to VICTORIA 1 day ago

VICTORIA to One Sec... 1 day ago

See stats below.

YOu changed it to anywhere in the world-
    I don't know why.
    My posts are pretty serious.

.

• VICTORIA One Sec... 2009/11/26 06:36:49
    VICTORIA
    +1
    oh, I don't think I'm better- And I'm sorry if I wasn't more helpful in the way I responded.
    I was being defensive, because I thought you were going to attack me.
    I've been getting attacked non-stop lately- so it was my fault for not seeing your request for what it was-
    Ithought there was some trick coming-
    I don't know how many prisoners in the world they have-
    I can't imagine any more than the one- they are prisoners themselves.
  • misterz 2009/11/24 17:08:47
    misterz
    +2
    Although I understand the humanity of the exchange, I would not give Hamas the time of day - they are thugs and cannot be trusted.
  • Fef misterz 2009/11/24 17:54:43
    Fef
    +3
    Hamas will likely try to capture more Israelis as a means to an end - freeing more Palestinian terrorists from Israeli prisons.

I have a hard time on this because I care about the individual, but the bigger problem would only get bigger by complying...
  • misterz Fef 2009/11/24 18:34:02
    misterz
    +2
    Yes Fef, I totally agree - you said it better then I did. It sounds awful, but at some point Israel has to say no to Hamas - they have no intention of honoring any treaty and will do anything to see Israel and the Jews wiped off the map.
  • VICTORIA Fef 2009/11/25 22:24:01
    VICTORIA
    +1
    They only have one soldier Fef.
    Israel has 10,000.
    Doesn't that seem imbalanced?
  • CODE 11 VICTORIA 2009/11/26 04:27:14
    CODE 11
    +1
    Hamas has kidnapped and holding 1 soldier against his will
    Israel has 10,756 that were given the right to go thur a court process, before they were sent to jail.
  • VICTORIA CODE 11 2009/11/26 06:37:44
    VICTORIA
    +1
    Many are held indefinitely without access to the court system.
  • CODE 11 VICTORIA 2009/11/26 19:58:49
    CODE 11
    +1
    My dear...after seeing what these people are capable of..they belong in a jail !!
  • VICTORIA CODE 11 2009/11/26 23:34:29
    VICTORIA
    No one is justified in holding women, children, or any human uncharged and indefinitely in prison.
  • VICTORIA Fef 2009/11/25 22:45:05
    VICTORIA
    +1
    Fef, why is every happening on my board going to 404?
    I can't seem to respond to any of my replies here.
  • cookie 2009/11/24 16:35:52
    cookie
    +2
    Fef,

It doesn't matter what I think. I'm goyem. Ask your mother. She has a son. She would know what to do...

My heart goes out to the family of Gilad.
  • EdHunter 2009/11/24 16:29:08
    EdHunter
    +2
    Israel's been doing this for years. They trade prisoners whom they've determined not to be an imminent threat for one of their own.

I trust Israel, since their ultimate goal is to live side by side with the Arabs in peace.
  • Carmin Politano 2009/11/24 16:08:10
    Carmin Politano
    +2
    Take no prisoners. Quit fighting or kill so that the fighting can come to an end.
  • Dwight Mann 2009/11/24 15:42:38
    Dwight Mann
    +4
    One Jewish man is worth 1,000,000 Muslims. . .
  • Civic M... Dwight ... 2009/11/24 17:51:45
    Civic Minded
    +3
    With that approach they would turn over every one of their prisoners to get him back.
  • One Sec... Dwight ... 2009/11/25 01:10:18 (edited)
    One Second to Live
    +1
    Do you mean extremists?
  • fuzzy Ken "In G*d We Trust" 2009/11/24 15:36:32
    fuzzy Ken "In G*d We Trust"
    +2
    Sure. Israel; should exchange 70 Palestinians for the bones of Shalit. It is Israel's policy to get back the remains of their captured soldiers even if it means releasing a butchering animal like they did with Samir Kuntar.
    On July 16, 2008, in accordance with the mandates of Resolution 1701, Hezbollah transferred the coffins of captured Israeli soldiers, Ehud Goldwasser and Eldad Regev, in exchange for incarcerated, corpulent Samir Kuntar.
  • Fef fuzzy K... 2009/11/24 17:55:55
    Fef
    +2
    Gilad Shalit hasn't died. They made a recent video showing him alive.

2014/10/24 20:43:36