George Zimmerman Charged With Second-Degree Murder: Fair or Foul?

It took prosecutors a month and a half to charge George Zimmerman in the shooting of Trayvon Martin, but Florida special prosecutor Angela Corey announced the charge on Wednesday, just days after dismissing the grand jury. He's being charged with second-degree murder, and could face life in prison. This doesn't mean he's guilty, but it does mean he's in prison for the time being.

Zimmerman arrived at the Polk Correctional Facility in Florida Wednesday night after the 28-year-old surrendered to law enforcement. Lawyers on both sides of the case anticipate a long and arduous trial. Zimmerman's new lawyers says he is "not concerned about [Zimmerman's] mental well-being" and expects "justice in the end." Martin's mother just wants to "ask him if there were another way that he could have settled the confrontation." Do you think the charges against George Zimmerman sound fair -- or foul?

• Harriet Tubman 2012/04/12 16:03:16 (edited)
    Foul
    Harriet Tubman
    +66
    Prosecutor will have to get all twelve jurors to vote to convict to get this silly murder charge upheld. She knows that is hopeless. The charge carries some lesser homicide charges as "included lesser charges" (like manslaughter) which they can compromise on. The hope would be that by asking for murder 2, they can get Zimmerman to agree to accept something like negligent homicide. If he does, he is being gullible, for they can never get twelve Floridians to agree he is culpable. Even if they get an all black jury, getting twelve of us to agree he did not have the right to defend himself just because his attacker is black would be very unlikely. Too many of us have had family or friends who have been attacked by young men like Trayvon. Having worked with victims of abuse for many years, my sympathy for the victim of the attack (Zimmerman) far outweighs my identification as a Florida black.

• Mr. Smith CoachSB 2012/04/13 20:00:22
    Mr. Smith
    +2
    What information are you basing your analysis?
  • Prime Time Lime 2012/04/13 02:14:08
    Fair
    Prime Time Lime
    +1
    Now the wheels of justice can start to turn.
  • CindyB 2012/04/13 02:05:37
    Fair
    CindyB
    +2
    Would have preferred 1st degree murder, but 2nd degree will have to do.
  • Seeker ... CindyB 2012/04/18 13:37:17
    Seeker of Truth - War Wizard
    You really think this was pre-meditated murder?? Based on what evidence?
  • Meako 2012/04/13 02:04:56
    Fair
    Meako
    +2
    There is quite a bit of evidence we have not heard or seen yet. The prosecutor believes she can get a conviction, and I pray she does....
  • Chris 2012/04/13 01:59:42
    Fair
    Chris
    +8
    He said ok when he was told by a 911 operator that he didn't need to follow this kid. He was in a truck at the time. He told the operator he would meet with the police at a specific location, but did not stay there. After having said he would meet the police at that specific location, he said to have the police call him and he would let them know where he was. It's not standing your ground if you confront someone who is trying to get away from you. It was clear from the 911 call that Trayvon was kind of bothered that he was being followed, hell, I start getting antsy when it feels/looks like someone is starting to follow me.

All I can say is that for Zimmerman to have been assaulted the way reports indicate, he would've had to get out of the truck he said he was in, and he would have needed to approach someone he was told not to follow. Had he waited for police as he said he would do, none of this would have happened. There are so many things that Zimmerman did wrong, I can't see any reason he wouldn't be charged with something. If he had just done what he was asked, and what he said he would, kid would be alive, and he would have not killed someone for no reason.
  • jubil8 ... Chris 2012/04/16 00:38:51
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    No he wasn't in his truck when he was told he didn't need to follow.

It's also hard to see how Trayvon could have been pounding on Zimm without bruising his knuckles or anything (the funeral director said he didn't have any injuries that backed up the idea he'd been in a fight).
  • Chris jubil8 ... 2012/04/16 02:00:29
    Chris
    911 dispatcher:

OK.

We don’t need you to do that. [2:26]

Zimmerman:

Um, if they come in through the gate, tell them to go straight past the clubhouse and, uh, straight past the clubhouse and make a left and then go past the mailboxes you’ll see my truck. [3:10]

911 dispatcher:

Alright, what address are you parked in front of? [3:21]

Zimmerman:

Um, I don’t know. It’s a cut-through so I don’t know the address. [3:25]

----
    That looks like about a minute to me, and to have been following him on foot, then respond to a question about where he is parked to say he doesn't know, rather than he is on foot is strange. What's the point in saying the officers would see his truck if he weren't in it? And if a minute prior,he was not in his truck, that means he got into the truck to follow Trayvon, which again, makes the notion of self defense ridiculous. I have listened to the audio and read through the transcript many times, and not one thing in it makes it seem like he is afraid of Trayvon, but that he is determined to get him arrested for something when he doesn't even know if he's done anything wrong. He follows a young man, while on the phone with a 911 operator, says he'll wait for officers, and doesn't. His case is hollow. There isn't a chance it was self defense, and as it was not an accident, it can't be anything less than a murder charge.
  • jubil8 ... Chris 2012/04/16 03:11:31
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    I agree. If he'd just stayed in his truck (or gotten back in when he lost sight of Trayvon), Trayvon would still be alive.

I've lived in condo communities for the past 14 years, and I know all the addresses more or less -- I think it's odd that he couldn't even make a guess about where he was. Most communities have a pattern to their addresses.
  • Herbtheman 2012/04/13 01:59:05
    Foul
    Herbtheman
    +2
    How sad that with enough marching in the streets you can get someone arrested for self defence
  • Michael Herbtheman 2012/04/13 03:41:33 (edited)
    Michael
    be glad of the marching, if there was no marching, there would be shooting and burning. How can you claim self defense when stalking someone without identifying your authority or purpose? If Trayvon had been named Taylor ( and white) would you so readily believe Zimmerman?
  • Tylurr Michael 2012/04/13 04:21:50 (edited)
    Tylurr
    +1
    The answer is yes. Self defense is self defense. If he's found guilty, then hell, why not punish EVERYONE that stands up to someone about to kill them? See how high the crime rate goes, not just from those arrests, but from the murders committed by those that now have no fear of retaliation.

This marching IS a great idea...to lead to the shooting and burning.
  • Michael Tylurr 2012/04/13 05:27:16
    Michael
    +3
    So if you follow someone around without advising them of your authority or intent ( in effect stalking them) if they defend themselves against you, you have the right to shoot them in self defense? What kind of skewed logic is that? Trayvon was committing no crime, he was pursued by an adult who instigated a confrontation. This self appointed community defender with a criminal record for violence. The law was created to protect citizens who were being assaulted, not seeking out a confrontation. If Zimmerman had not stalked and confronted Trayvon in the first place, no crime, assault, or shooting would have taken place. The kid would have gone to his dad, ate the skittles, drank the ice tea, and watched the game. Zimmerman was the aggressor, the kid was the victim.
  • seasmoke70 Michael 2012/04/13 14:04:35
    seasmoke70
    Well said. I agree completely.
  • CoachSB Tylurr 2012/04/13 19:54:21
    CoachSB
    The wanna be Cop was looking for trouble now he got trouble.
  • Herbtheman Michael 2012/04/14 02:23:54
    Herbtheman
    I have guns let the shooting begin.
  • Manster 2012/04/13 01:54:22
    Fair
    Manster
    +2
    When it took 45 days of investigating for that decision to be made,I'd think that was very fair.
  • jubil8 ... Manster 2012/04/16 00:42:53
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    +1
    Not really -- the REAL investigation didn't start for a month.
  • Manster jubil8 ... 2012/04/16 15:52:18
    Manster
    I still think the prosecutors went far above and beyond in the time it took for them to make a call as to prosecute the case.And Yes ,it took a lot of public pressure to help them to reach that decision,or at least that's the way it appears to be.
  • john Kills 2012/04/13 01:54:00
    Foul
    john Kills
    +2
    I don't know what happened and neither does anyone else on here. I do know the investigator said it was self defense and then turned around and charged him. What's up with that?
  • jubil8 ... john Kills 2012/04/16 00:43:18
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    Go do a little reading.
  • D Hanes 2012/04/13 01:53:06
    Foul
    D Hanes
    +2
    If it was not a racist decison I would say fair.. but we all know exactly what this is.
  • Michael D Hanes 2012/04/13 03:45:42
    Michael
    +1
    The only racism in this case was not charging him from the outset. Come on, be honest, if Zimmerman was black and Trayvon white, do you think an arrest would have taken this long?
  • Tylurr Michael 2012/04/13 04:23:16
    Tylurr
    +3
    If the circumstances were the exact same? Yes. Except there wouldn't be NEARLY as much public outcry.

Fact is, as far as evidence states, it was self defense. Which is 100% legal.
  • Michael Tylurr 2012/04/19 15:12:12
    Michael
    The lead investigator in the case pressed for a charge of homicide, but was over-ruled by the DA. The evidence does not point in my opinion to a case for self defense under the stand your ground law. As far as media attention, if the races were reversed Fox news would be having a field day.
  • D Hanes Michael 2012/04/18 16:38:19
    D Hanes
    I agree with you on that.. you are right.. but the thing is.. just because it would be wrongly done to a black person, does it make it right to rush to judgement on this white guy? Both ways are wrong. When will we stop thinking that as long as we make the whites suffer as much as the blacks seem to have suffered, then justice prevails.. that is just stupid.

Why can't we take it case by case and forget color.. forget the damn marches and whining and crying .. No one wins this way and it just separates us further!
  • Michael D Hanes 2012/04/19 15:24:39
    Michael
    I wish the situation were that simple. Try to understand, this has nothing to do with white people. This is about fair representation under the law. If a child is shot and killed by an adult purporting to work in defense of a community, then that system is flawed. If the police will not even charge or arrest, that system is flawed.

The marching and protests were required action to effect a more detailed investigation, and arrest. It is in the hands of the courts now, where it should have been from the beginning. Just because us Black people are marching, it is seldom about white people. In this case it was about standing up against a justice system which tried to sweep this under the carpet
  • jubil8 BN-0 PON 2012/04/13 01:50:03
    Fair
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    +2
    Amazing that so many people are still rushing to judgment here -- both for and against.

The whole point is that there are QUESTIONS, and the Special Prosecutor assigned to investigating them decided they were serious enough to merit a charge, an arrest, and a trial to answer them.

It seems to me that that's our legal system working well. So far. I'm willing to wait and see what comes next (and I hope it's not more media circus).
  • D Hanes jubil8 ... 2012/04/13 01:53:58
    D Hanes
    +1
    The special prosecutor prayed weith the family... unbiased.. hell no!
  • jubil8 ... D Hanes 2012/04/13 03:16:29
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    That's scary, all right: "Lord, I ask you to comfort these good people in their grief. Now then, Mrs. Fulton and Mr. Martin, I have some questions for you..."

I'm not saying that's what DID happen because I don't know. But if it did, I wouldn't be screaming "Bias alert! Bias alert!"

If you want me to change my opinion, you'll have to do a LOT better than frighten me with prayer.
  • D Hanes D Hanes 2012/04/18 16:41:21
    D Hanes
    Yeah, this is just plain wrong.. would she have prayed if the kid had been white.. I have never heard of that. why was this one so special.. because he was black???

And remember, she is up for election, needs all the votes she can get. Dirty bloody politics! No one is going to get justice here.. not Trayvon, not Zimmerman.. but maybe Mrs. Prosecuter will get herself reelected.. isn't that just lovely!
  • TXfatBoy 2012/04/13 01:31:26
    Foul
    TXfatBoy
    +1
    Lil thug got his badge!
  • JasonB TXfatBoy 2012/04/13 01:44:20
    JasonB
    +5
    So a kid with no criminal record is a thug, but a grown man w ith a criminal record, domestic violence record, and who's now arrested isn't a thug? You racist POS.
  • TXfatBoy JasonB 2012/04/13 01:46:15
    TXfatBoy
    +1
    yeah yeah! Thats the word thats being thrown around without much thought these days!
  • Michael TXfatBoy 2012/04/13 03:48:18
    Michael
    +2
    If the shoe fits ...
  • D Hanes JasonB 2012/04/13 01:54:42
    D Hanes
    The kid had three runs in with the police over rugs and was expeled from school.. the othr guy has a clean record.
  • JasonB D Hanes 2012/04/13 02:08:16
    JasonB
    +1
    dont troll. grow up please.
  • Michael D Hanes 2012/04/13 03:50:57
    Michael
    Wrong, domestic violence and assault on a police officer, now charged with Murder!
  • Michael TXfatBoy 2012/04/13 03:49:18
    Michael
    I am a black man, and I pity you..
  • wandadear TXfatBoy 2012/04/13 04:14:02
    wandadear
    and what makes him a thug to you?!

2014/07/24 13:06:42