General Motors Ranked 5th on Forbes 500... Thank you Obama, or we should have let them go under?

Met 2012/05/07 17:13:46
Good job Obama, you got one right!
We should have let these Americans lose their jobs, then blamed Obama. (cuz you know that's what would have happened)
I'm not a big fan of GM. I hate Chevy, and can't stand Cadillacs, but their turnaround has been nothing short of Miraculous, given how close they were to going under just 3 years ago.

After Obama Approved a capitalist loan to bail out the troubled American Auto Manufacturer, GM is not only repaying the loan with interest, but kicking ass as a corporation again, getting honored by making the 5 spot on the Forbes 500.

Thank you Obama, or just jobs we should have let go?

• Keeping It Real 2012/05/07 17:44:54
    Good job Obama, you got one right!
    Keeping It Real
    +18
    The president got more then one right and if it wasn't for his leadership our economy would have fallen off the cliff to say the least! obama 2012 in glitter

• Katfish 2012/05/09 13:37:27
    We should have let these Americans lose their jobs, then blamed Obama. (cuz y...
    Katfish
    They could have re-structured.
    "Ok folks weve got some good news and some bad news. The bad news is we are bankrupt and closing the plant today, you are laid off. The good news is, the new owners are opening back up tomorrow and looking to hire a crapload of people (non-union)."
  • LarryFine 2012/05/09 13:00:16
    LarryFine
    +1
    How much did Forbes get to publish that crap? GM success story my ass? We were told the loans were paid back; they were not. We watched the legal stakeholders of the company robbed of their holdings as Othief handed the assets of the company over to his UAW thugs. We were told how the volt was the new direction of GM; fire hazards and $10,000 subsidies are a great direction (LMFAO)!! We have Government Motors attacking rival auto makers in an attempt to smear their reputations and unfairly steal market share; nice capitalist approach Odimwit. I am one person who will NEVER buy a GM vehicle.
  • dominic... LarryFine 2012/05/09 13:44:59
    dominic garcia
    +1
    Great Post Larry, everything Obama does is not in good faith and not to be trusted. Corruption is always in the midst of his so called endeavors. We will never be buying GM again! We refuse to be partakers of Obama's corrupt practices and I invite (everyone who has not already been brainwashed) to join in. That is one way to put a stop to him and anyone who yokes themselves with Obama. All Obama has ever done since he became President is spend our money in a wasteful, crooked way to buy the next election. I will continue to pray that good, honest people around him have the courage and strength to expose him.
  • LarryFine dominic... 2012/05/09 15:19:50
    LarryFine
    +1
    He is not getting reelected. He does not have enough time to correct the damage of the past 3+ years. He got away with the "Bush" excuse for the first two; now it is HIS fault. I can't wait for the general debates to begin and watch him stick his foot in his mouth. He demonstrates total incompetence when he does not have a prepackaged script to read from.
  • dominic... LarryFine 2012/05/09 15:44:30
    dominic garcia
    +1
    I agree, I can't believe people are still supporting him. I can understand perfectly why, he is targeting the young generation, like never before. Teenagers and college students are easy prey, being they are so gullible, naive and uninformed. They can identify with that cool, chico suave side of Obama. He sure knows how to fool people. We can only hope that he continues messing up and people don't fall for the last minute sweetness that he is trying to portray. He is putting on the "I care so much about Americans act" again.
  • LarryFine dominic... 2012/05/09 16:05:43
    LarryFine
    +1
    People will vote with their wallets this fall; even the youth. NOBODY is better off than they were 4 years ago and that is what will make him a one term blunder.
  • dominic... LarryFine 2012/05/09 16:17:17
    dominic garcia
    +1
    We certainly hope so......
  • dominic garcia 2012/05/09 03:49:12
    dominic garcia
    +1
    They need to finish paying us back before you all go celebrating! How about recognizing some real heros like FORD, they did not need our stimulus money, yet they are doing great all by themselves.......
  • LarryFine dominic... 2012/05/09 13:00:47
    LarryFine
    +1
    Spot on. See my post above.
  • Joey 2012/05/09 03:23:19
    Good job Obama, you got one right!
    Joey
    I love how people her are saying we should have let them fail . I mean if a business goes under, while Obama in in office it is his fault . He saves business from going under and people complain.
  • LarryFine Joey 2012/05/09 13:01:32
    LarryFine
    +1
    If the union was not part of the formula, GM would be nothing more than a chapter in the history books.
    +3
    Businesses should survive or fail on their own.
  • rknothead 2012/05/09 01:42:53
    rknothead
    +3
    The govt has no business being in business, no matter who it is...they could have figured it out by themselves, or they would have become a memory, like Hudson or American Motors. He bought the GM Union's vote.
  • Vipor_GG 2012/05/09 01:26:34 (edited)
    Vipor_GG
    +1
    The auto bailout began in December 2008. Obama took office in January 2009. Many of the financial bailouts also began in 2008. Ford recovered as well and didn't receive a bailout.
    http://www.treasury.gov/initi...
  • Brandon 2012/05/08 21:20:17
    Good job Obama, you got one right!
    Brandon
    It's staggering the amount of misinformation going around about Obama's first term. That he 'didn't do anything' is not only patently false, it's an outright lie. We're getting closer to Nineteen Eighty-four every day. If enough people shout lies loud enough, and enough people believe them, then I guess they're true. Thanks, Fox News.
  • LarryFine Brandon 2012/05/09 13:03:32
    LarryFine
    You do have a point. He may have gotten ONE right, but is wasn't this. Help us figure out what it was.
  • Sawdust_128 2012/05/08 21:15:31
    Sawdust_128
    +3
    Didn't happen to FORD!!
  • Raithere 2012/05/08 19:35:42
    Raithere
    +4
    Yeah, gee, who would have thought...

if you allow a company to default on $37 billion in debt, $27 billion in bonds, slash coverage for 650,000 retirees and their family members, freeze pension contributions for salaried employees, wipe out investment in over 610 million shares of stock and allow them to re-list with an IPO of $20 billion, let them keep a $45 billion business-loss tax credit, give them $50 billion in cash, and $4.6 billion in government loans...

they might be able to turn a profit and pay off the $4.6 billion loan (if we let them cut it out of the bankruptcy escrow account).

And they only have to cut 29,000 jobs, close 14 factories and 2,400 dealerships.

Miraculous indeed.
  • CrazyDeen0 2012/05/08 18:44:42
    CrazyDeen0
    +2
    There hasn't been a president get anything right since JFK, and I doubt anyone on this site even know what that was. I guess me buying a $45,000 camaro from them didn't help them at all, It was all Obama... PAAAAALEEEEAAAASSSE!! You people really should think for yourself. It may give your children a chance.
  • Wag 2012/05/08 18:25:40
    Good job Obama, you got one right!
    Wag
    +1
    ol Mitt would have been there to clean the carcas of G.M. and pocketed the rest.
  • Che Guevara - Hero 2012/05/08 17:39:46
    Good job Obama, you got one right!
    Che Guevara - Hero
  • gumybare69 2012/05/08 17:35:40
    Good job Obama, you got one right!
    gumybare69
    +1
    I was actually against the Bailout.. But it turns out our government made a bunch of money on that deal! So, good job Mr. Prez! And, good job to GM (I guess, I don't really buy their junk)
  • ed 2012/05/08 16:36:52
    ed
    +3
    I don't think any of them would have went under and it was a stupid waste of taxpayer dollars by obama. THANKS OBAMA FOR NOTHING.
  • Bcounted 2012/05/08 16:29:38
    Good job Obama, you got one right!
    Bcounted
    +2
    Government Motors can now afford to sell the Chevy Volt for a bloated 45k, sound familiar? How did GM make such a turnaround in 3 years, in one of the worst recessions ever recorded?
    Bcounted.
  • LarryFine Bcounted 2012/05/09 16:09:55
    LarryFine
    +1
    they just applied some of that new government math.
  • H H 2012/05/08 16:23:33
    H H
    +5
    The free market would have worked best. Stating that Americans would have lost their jobs without a huge loan is not necessarily true and probably an exaggeration. America needs to get out of the loan mentality. The borrower is slave to the lender.
    http://www.barefootsworld.net...
    Yay for Iceland! --> http://truedemocracyparty.net...
  • mwg0735 2012/05/08 16:06:36 (edited)
  • RED DAWN 2012/05/08 15:29:57
    RED DAWN
    +4
    We should have let them go through a structured bankruptcy.But obbie wanted to pay back the unions so he funneled in a ton of money with a small amount going to his on going election.What I find strange about this question is a liberal supporting a large corporation.You must not be one of the 99%.
  • dawn 2012/05/08 14:54:53
    dawn
    +6
    Bush & Obama should NOT have bailed out failing companies. All it teaches is that if you fail you get rewarded--THAT'S the way to look at this, & it's exactly what's happening on every front now. You don't work--no problem!--we the "government" will reward you. We LEARN from our failures--but that's old fashioned now.
  • apachehellfire65 2012/05/08 14:47:39
    apachehellfire65
  • Christopher Kirchen 2012/05/08 14:39:58
    Christopher Kirchen
    +3
    I picked this one despite its loaded wording, because they would have found other jobs, but the government keeping businesses afloat is something that we tried for forty years of a cold war to avoid.
  • Flowers 2012/05/08 14:29:33
    Flowers
    +6
    Sure why not. I personally think the whole "OMG we are going to go bankrupt! please throw us all your money and tax breaks so we don't fire more people" crap was a hoax, Not that I have proof people (so don't jump down my throat cuz I'm just too cranky for it today) but It just seemed all too convenient. Now they are raking in TONS of money, Which is awesome and everything I'm not saying they are bad for doing what the company is supposed to do: make money but it just created this huge upset in the lives of millions. Millions of dollars were lost in stock prices, are they going to find a way to give that money back to the people who lost their life savings because if it? I doubt it.
  • Green Living Guy 2012/05/08 14:29:32
    Good job Obama, you got one right!
    +1
    Not bad to save a leading car company from demise..
  • Richard Hungwell AKA Relent... 2012/05/08 14:18:20
    Good job Obama, you got one right!
    Richard Hungwell AKA Relentless
    +1
    I very much dislike obama, and absolutely will not vote for him. But I will give credit where credit is due, the obama administration did make a good choice on this one. They took a gamble and it payed off. However, I still do not like the government gambling with taxpayer money in such a manner, They tried to invest a fortune in solyndra too, and it failed miserably.
  • Met Richard... 2012/05/08 14:26:01
    Met
    +1
    Why doesn't anyone ever mention Solyndra was originally funded by the Bush admin... It just failed after Obama took office.
  • Richard... Met 2012/05/08 14:29:51
    Richard Hungwell AKA Relentless
    +2
    obama continued to fund it as it was failing, it was working fine when bush was in office, at that point it still looked like a good investment. And people say Bush was against green energy... pssh
  • Met Richard... 2012/05/08 20:56:11
    Met
    I suppose Enron looked like a good investment too?

More excuses for funding a corrupt shell.
  • Richard... Met 2012/05/09 14:20:13
    Richard Hungwell AKA Relentless
    Yes, up until the truth came out enron looked like a very profitable investment, which is why such a large number of people invested in it, and lost so much.

But it really has absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand.
  • apacheh... Met 2012/05/08 14:52:01
    apachehellfire65
    +1
    for the same reason that people on here ignore the fact that the eight years of Clinton policy's caused 9/11. they just blame bush because it happened after he took office.
  • Met apacheh... 2012/05/08 20:55:03
    Met
    well in his defense, he was given a folder telling him what was going to happen...
    from the clinton admin.

Apparently the clinton admin was on top of things.

2014/10/31 18:52:29