General Motors Ranked 5th on Forbes 500... Thank you Obama, or we should have let them go under?

Met 2012/05/07 17:13:46
Good job Obama, you got one right!
We should have let these Americans lose their jobs, then blamed Obama. (cuz you know that's what would have happened)
I'm not a big fan of GM. I hate Chevy, and can't stand Cadillacs, but their turnaround has been nothing short of Miraculous, given how close they were to going under just 3 years ago.

After Obama Approved a capitalist loan to bail out the troubled American Auto Manufacturer, GM is not only repaying the loan with interest, but kicking ass as a corporation again, getting honored by making the 5 spot on the Forbes 500.

Thank you Obama, or just jobs we should have let go?

• Keeping It Real 2012/05/07 17:44:54
    Good job Obama, you got one right!
    Keeping It Real
    +18
    The president got more then one right and if it wasn't for his leadership our economy would have fallen off the cliff to say the least! obama 2012 in glitter

• Xed0 Elementer 2012/05/09 23:27:52
    Xed0
    I worked for the unions, never really needed it, I stopped working for the unions, And my pay and hours got better, Some unions are a good thing, but on average, the UAW is nothing but a pyramid scheme helping the upper echelon of said structure.

The plants here in the south are managing just fine without them, and everyone i ask at the factories i have worked for says the same thing, the unions and their ilk can take a hike.

Only lazy morons need unions.
  • Elementer Xed0 2012/05/10 08:12:35 (edited)
    Elementer
    "Only lazy morons need unions."

Tell that to the overworked air traffic controllers Reagan fired.

• Xed0 Elementer 2012/05/11 08:29:22
    Xed0
    Just exactly how "overworked" were they?

Where are you finding your info they were overworked?

Were you there?

Mcdonalds employees fry your food for you day in and day out, my sister works 14 hour shifts 4 days a week with one 4 hour day after that, does she need high pay for it?

No she makes 10 dollars an hour, mcdonalds guys get minimum wage, do they need a union? Does everybody on planet earth need a union to "represent" them?

Congress used to support the people that elected them, now they don't, got to corrupt, but i guess unions are exempt from this?

Grow up kid, You don't DESERVE 18 an hour pushing a milk crate for 8 hours a day, you don't even DESERVE a job. You are owed nothing in life except what you earn, But your not going to earn half as much as you want doing the work honestly.

The unions are a pyramid scheme, deny it all you want, but there is no way to get around that fact.

Also, ATC's were government employees then, as such they were hired under a contract, they SIGNED on a sheet of paper they would work in these harsh and stressful conditions for this pay with these benefits. But boohoooo, Its harder than i thought and even though i'm getting overtime I don't think i make enough or get enough time offff.....So I'm gonna be a little cry baby...

Were you there?

Also, ATC's were government employees then, as such they were hired under a contract, they SIGNED on a sheet of paper they would work in these harsh and stressful conditions for this pay with these benefits. But boohoooo, Its harder than i thought and even though i'm getting overtime I don't think i make enough or get enough time offff.....So I'm gonna be a little cry baby and not work.

They were ORDERED as FEDERAL EMPLOYEES, by the COMMANDER IN CHIEF to get back to work, they didn't, they got fired for not doing their jobs, happens all the time you know, people not doing their jobs. When people don't do their jobs the company loses money and people are put in danger because someones being a child.

It was pretty much the same complaints at Chrysler when i worked there....Just people who never learned to grow up and get to it. I was raised on a farm for most of my childhood, I learned early you get what you earn, I also learned to never sell yourself short.

90% of unions are a joke and shouldn't even exist, some others....such as the miners unions, are good things. But the UAW stopped working for its people back in the 90's.

People these days just don't have a work ethic thats worth a damn, and this is all it really boils down to.
  • Elementer Xed0 2012/05/11 19:49:31
  • Xed0 Elementer 2012/05/13 04:24:47
    Xed0
    Because you lack the brain power to understand anything but what unca' obama and the tele tells you, keep on truckin kid, you'll soon run out of gas.
  • Elementer Xed0 2012/05/13 07:59:22
    Elementer
    Nah, it was because your writings were a pretentious bore.
  • Xed0 Elementer 2012/05/14 03:13:19
    Xed0
    Only because you fail to see things from any point of view but yours.

Such is the way of a democrat, no ray of sunshine glimmers from eyes covered in their own colon.
  • Elementer Xed0 2012/05/14 03:34:56
    Elementer
    You're generalizing democrats, yet I'm the one who's close minded?

Okay.
  • Xed0 Elementer 2012/05/15 08:41:41
    Xed0
    You know quick sand sucks you down faster when you thrash....so by all means keep trying.

I generalized nothing btw, i stated a fact, big difference you know.

;)
  • Bali Xed0 2012/05/08 06:46:14
    Bali
    +1
    so it can be done...and without the golden childs help....wow.
  • Willl 2012/05/08 04:25:49
    Good job Obama, you got one right!
    Willl
    +6
    GM, US earnings for 2012 are $1.7B in the first quarter of 2012.
    How much of that has been paid to the treasury? Nothing.
    So, a company that owns the treasury about $50B makes $1.7B in the first three months of 2012 and pays $0 to the treasury even though it should have paid 35% of that not to mention repayment of the taxpayer loan.
    Let me explain it to you.
    If Obama had not bailed out GM, the earnings of GM would have been the same or greater today. The only difference would that you and me (the tax filer, I can’t say taxpayer since I do not know if you do pay any taxes) would owned less to Chinese.
  • AL Willl 2012/05/08 04:37:04 (edited)
    AL
    +5
    Earnings?LOL! Who's earnings? They haven't even paid the American tax payers back yet!
  • Willl AL 2012/05/10 00:25:41
    Willl
    It is GM's earnings. The fact that they did not pay what they own the taxpayer does not make the earnings the taxpayer's money.
    The problem is that this company does not pay required 35% of their earnings to the treasury. A little something that is required from other companies like GM, except GE.
    So Ford do have to pay taxes on the earnings but not GM.
  • zbacku 2012/05/08 04:13:23
    We should have let these Americans lose their jobs, then blamed Obama. (cuz y...
    zbacku
    +4
    Nice biased and useless answers. If Obama would have let GM go through bankruptcy on their own, we would not have tossed millions down the tube and the Union would have NO CONTROL over the future. GM will only need more help down the road.
  • Elementer zbacku 2012/05/08 04:50:45
    Elementer
    +2
    Are you positive about that? Because I'm thinking they would've just opened up facilities in China.
  • zbacku Elementer 2012/05/08 04:51:51
    zbacku
    +3
    They did and are expanding in China. Paid for by our tax dollars.
  • Boomer Elementer 2012/05/08 12:42:39
    Boomer
    They already have!!!!!!!!!
  • aneed2know zbacku 2012/05/08 07:35:49
    aneed2know
    Oh i am quite sure you feel the same way about your postings and the bias answers you give, right?
  • Theresa 2012/05/08 04:06:15
    Theresa
    +6
    GM is a basket case only held up by US gov't loans! This is all smoke and mirrors. GM is only profitable in China!
  • diane RN Theresa 2012/05/08 04:35:18
    diane RN
    +1
    Yea, I hear that buicks are a hot commodity there.
  • Bali diane RN 2012/05/08 06:48:24
    Bali
    mars?
  • aneed2know Theresa 2012/05/08 07:36:18
    aneed2know
    wrong
  • TheTailor 2012/05/08 04:02:34
    TheTailor
    +4
    Stupid choice, fact is GM went to chapter 11 anyway, with or without a loan from the government.
  • AL TheTailor 2012/05/08 07:19:14
    AL
    +1
    And do you know why G.M. had to go with that Chapter 11 in the First place? They couldn't even afford the massive Union give aways any longer! Thats why they asked Sugar daddy American Tax payers to bail their asses out!
  • TheTailor AL 2012/05/08 14:34:41
    TheTailor
    The union was certainly a part of it, but GM had been forcing the union to shrink with the use of robotics for decades, the UAW's numbers have dropped considerably over the last couple decades. GM's sales of SUV's was a major part of their north American income, they used a lot of gasoline, and when the price of gas went to $4/gal sales crashed. That was the primary reason GM had to reorganize, not the union.

GM got the money because they could, why wouldn't they? The loans have been paid back with interest, half the stock the government held has been bought back after the IPO, and the GM board is in charge. The remaining stock will be bought back over time as profits permit.

GM's market problems were not caused by the union, but as it happens, the union in the long run will be less of a problem as a result of this reorganization.
  • AL TheTailor 2012/05/09 07:00:03
    AL
    Lets face it G.M. is to Obama-what the V.W was to Hitler! They where both Government Bitches-Yet V.W at least built a quality product under Hitler anyway!
  • TheTailor AL 2012/05/09 13:32:46
    TheTailor
    Obama no longer controls GM.
  • AL TheTailor 2012/05/09 07:02:00
    AL
    LOL! Do you have any other Shovel ready Bull Sh** you would like to shovel now as well?
  • mac9 2012/05/08 03:38:35
    mac9
    +4
    Fail.....go under like anyone else.
  • TheTailor mac9 2012/05/08 05:00:34
    TheTailor
    +2
    They wouldn't have gone under even without the government.
  • AL TheTailor 2012/05/08 05:35:57 (edited)
    AL
    +3
    BULL Sh**! The Union Contracts alone would have put them out of business!
  • TheTailor AL 2012/05/08 14:36:06
    TheTailor
    That's a falsehood, GM had and has the money needed to meet it's obligations.
  • AL TheTailor 2012/05/09 07:08:19
    AL
    Oh no it isn't! G.M. was going broke because they couldn't even afford their damn Union contracts!The Company even asked them to renegotiate their contract to save jobs! Yet the union refused and took lay offs instead!
  • TheTailor AL 2012/05/09 13:36:28
    TheTailor
    Pension and healthcare were fully funded, the reason for reorganization was to stave off FUTURE fiscal disaster. It's pointless to discuss this now as the GM board in Chapter 11 already addressed and solved it's problems with the union, and the union lost.
  • diane RN 2012/05/08 02:34:09
    diane RN
    +7
    All I can say is when FORD rejected the bailout, I bought 50K shares @ 2.19. sold at over 18. Happy i didnt invest in GM:)
  • AL diane RN 2012/05/08 05:37:29
    AL
    +4
    Government Motors is just Obama's Welfare Bitch now!
  • No nonsense NanC...don't BS... 2012/05/08 02:28:10
    Good job Obama, you got one right!
    No nonsense NanC...don't BS me!
    +7
    Don't they still owe the taxpayers millions?
  • tom C No nons... 2012/05/08 02:59:48
    tom  C
    +6
    billions...when obama took them to bankruptcy...the taxpayers owned 60% of the company
  • No nons... tom C 2012/05/08 15:02:53
    No nonsense NanC...don't BS me!
    +1
    And they still are floundering as far as I have heard. Cash for clunkers did not
    sell American cars. The administration did not specify the money shouldbe spent
    on American cars; so much of that cash for clunkers bought foreign made cars.
  • Theresa No nons... 2012/05/08 04:07:12
    Theresa
    +7
    Billions and the money went overseas for plants in China!

2014/07/23 11:24:50