General McChrystal: What Did He Say Wrong About Obama?

Fef 2010/06/23 17:59:28
General Stanely McChrystal gave a lengthy interview to the well-respected war journal, Rolling Stone. President Obama summoned General McChrystal from his war post in Afghanistan back to the White House to explain his comments. President Obama also had to take time out of his busy day of golfing

McChrystal has offered his resignation. Our #1 military leader in the war against the Taliban, one of the most organized terrorist operations in the world may lose his job because of this interview. And for what? What did he say so wrong?

Don't misunderstand me.... Generals shouldn't play politics. They report to the Commander in Chief -- President Obama. They take his orders and should show subordination. Insubordination should result in punishment including possible termination or even a court martial and time in the brig.

Call me lazy, partisan or dumb, but please help identify the quotes that deserve risking our national security by having General McChrystal resign from his position as the best qualified commander to win the war in Afghanistan.

So please copy/paste what General McChrystal said that should result in his termination as leader of our military in Afghanistan. I've linked to the Rolling Stone article on "Runaway General" for your convenience.

military afghanistan ive linked rolling stone article runaway general convenience

UPDATE: Fef Agrees With Obama: Fire McChrystal

Read More: http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/17390/11...

• TexicanRGV - Noblesse Oblige 2010/06/23 21:02:22
    TexicanRGV - Noblesse Oblige
    +14
    General McChrystal was fired by Obama for the same reason General MacArthur was fired by President Truman. Right, wrong, yes or no, his job is to carry out the orders of the Commander In Chief. His job is not to question or undermine that authority.

• mac -Ho... Crank_I... 2010/06/24 01:48:16
    mac -Holding Fast
    +1
    If Obama had said the same thing about the General? That he can't run a military operation? Why would Obama have selected General McChrystal to run things in Afghanistan if that were the case?

Also-

We are best judged by how we treat people that we have no need to treat nicely.

McChrystal had a need to treat Obama well. Obama had no such obligation in return, and despite literally saying that McChrystal was the best man for the job, he fired him anyway.

Honestly, McChrystal never has to say anything about this again. Obama's actions are emphasizing page after page in works cited for the one page interview.
  • Crank_I... mac -Ho... 2010/06/24 01:59:06
    Crank_It_Up
    +1
    The words below are not mine, but they sum it up nicely...

In the end, it was Obama’s only move. Keeping General Stanley McChrystal in place would have shattered the chain of command, obliterated the authority Obama had with the military, and undermined any hope of waging a successful counterinsurgency in Afghanistan.

“As difficult as it is to lose General McChrystal, I believe it’s the right one,” the President just said. “The conduct represented in the recently-published article … undermines the civilian control of the military that is at the core of our democratic system. And it erodes the trust that’s necessary for our team to work together to achieve our objectives in Afghanistan.”
  • mac -Ho... Crank_I... 2010/06/24 03:23:26
    mac -Holding Fast
    +1
    "In the end, it was Obama’s only move. Keeping General Stanley McChrystal in place would have shattered the chain of command, obliterated the authority Obama had with the military, and undermined any hope of waging a successful counterinsurgency in Afghanistan."

Really? Then why did Obama say that there was no matter of policy in question?

And if you don't mind my asking- what were you thoughts on General Petraeus when he agreed with Bush's efforts and competency?

Did you speak out at all against the headlines calling him "Betray-us"? Or did you let it slide?
  • justonemom Crank_I... 2010/06/24 02:42:51
    justonemom
    +1
    it's more than obvious to a thinking person that some of those things are true.
  • Sherloc... Crank_I... 2010/07/19 07:15:01
  • Bo 2010/06/24 00:02:21
    Bo
    +5
    He told the truth and Obama can't handle the truth...
  • words to live by 2010/06/24 00:02:18
    words to live by
    +2
    McChrystal had to sit in front of a man that isn't a citizen of the United States of America. A fraud who is bankrupting America, and playing footise with our enemies. It's another issue for the liberal news stations to crow over.

I guess Mac sorta told Obama....
    issue liberal news stations crow guess mac sorta told obama
  • sue words t... 2010/06/24 00:24:37
    sue
    +1
    I think you should read the article. McChrystal comes out looking worse than Obama. According the the article (and he did it pretty publicly) McChrystal pushed for this Afghanistan strategy. THe article makes it look like he's second guessing the strategy now.
  • words t... sue 2010/06/24 02:49:57
    words to live by
    Are you talking about the rolling stone rag magazine? I don't read that crap.
  • sue words t... 2010/06/24 05:54:22
    sue
    By all means, continue to comment on it anyway.
  • Max7 2010/06/23 23:29:45
    Max7
    So is this question based on something that was said by Rush Limbaugh???
  • Fef Max7 2010/06/24 01:57:25
    Fef
    +1
    How do you mean? I asked everyone to identify what McChrystal said that amounts to insubordination and his firing by President Obama. So far, I have not seen much.
  • Max7 Fef 2010/06/24 14:56:24
    Max7
    Number one, he didn't use his professional or his military mind, he allowed his "mouth & that small piece of flannel in his mouth, called the tongue," to over step his boundaries. Being a military man, he should be well read and instructed regarding boundaries. Now I know that for many, it's hard for them to render respect to the President, because of their demented reasons. Two, his words were words of insubordination, and for the first time in a long time, it seems that the majority felt that the President made a great call. After all he is the Commander in Chief whether you like him or not. No matter what your opinion about him happens to be, it would have behooved General McChrystal to keep his thoughts to himself and control his third finger! He sounds like a hot dog! In many cases insubordination can lead to more than a slap on the hand, the General found out didn't he?
  • driley 2010/06/23 23:21:31
    driley
    +3
    Nothing he said was incorrect or inaccurate. It was merely unseemly for a commander to show his lack of respect for the CIC. Should he have been fired? No. Maybe a stern warning about waiting until he is finished with his mission and then he can write it all in his memoirs.
  • Margaret 2010/06/23 22:39:30
    Margaret
    +8
    After all the apologizing and global U.S. bashing the POTUS has done, he has the gall to ask the General to explain himself?! Typical Obama...one set of rules for him, another set of rules for everyone else.
    global bashing potus gall general explain typical obama rules rules
  • sue Margaret 2010/06/24 00:25:22
    sue
    +1
    Can you name one instance with a quote of the president apologizing? or bashing the US?
  • Torchma... sue 2010/06/24 00:38:21
    Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA
    +3
    Watch TV sometime.
  • sue Torchma... 2010/06/24 00:41:24
    sue
    Can't find one, eh? What happens is that the pundits say he apologizes and bashes the US, but if you read his speeches, you see that it isn't true.
  • Atomic_... sue 2010/06/24 03:57:08
    Atomic_Rooster
    What, no comeback to justonemom and Fef, now you can begin to understand you are a victim and have been turned into an O'zombie..
  • sue Atomic_... 2010/06/24 05:55:01
    sue
    Still got nothing, I see.
  • Fef sue 2010/06/24 02:09:10
    Fef
    +2
    President Obama and Secretary Clinton both have gone abroad and apologized to the world for America. Obama often says we need to "change" because America has a history he doesn't agree with. Michell Obama said she didn't like America until her husband won office in late 2000s. Obama told our European allies, "when America has shown arrogance and been dismissive, even derisive." You can search the web and find plenty more examples.
  • sue Fef 2010/06/24 05:58:51
    sue
    Saying you don't like a policy and you will change it is not the same as apologizing. Besides, he mentions that both sides (in this case Europe and the US) have been wrong. It is the kind of speech that one makes when they want to get to real dialog. We are both wrong, how can we move forward. Even Laura Ingram says he didn't apologize.
  • Fef sue 2010/06/24 06:38:03
    Fef
    I think we need to read between the literal words/between the lines to see that Obama wants to apologize for America to the rest of the world because he wants their acceptance. He feels shame in his American citizenship and wants to "fundamentally transform America."

You may continue to defend President Obama and support him. In fact, I changed my mind... I agree with Obama: Fire McChrystal. I think it helps America to get a better general in charge. The one that the Left / Democrats called "Betrayus" will properly run the war -- unlike McChrystal who actually voted for Obama.
  • sue Fef 2010/06/24 06:59:49 (edited)
    sue
    I think Petraeus did a decent job -- I'm no military analyst, but it seems he did what he was supposed to. Obama's and Bush's policies were the same for getting out of iraq, and he is reaching the end of the misison there. I am not sure how things will go in Afghanistan. This could be the administration wanting to change policies in some kind of face-saving way. We'll see.

I guess I look at what Obama says and I think about what I have learned about facilitating difficult meetings (I recently received a certificate in training and facilitation, so this stuff is current in my brain). If you are facilitating a meeting among people who disagree, it is important to make them feel they are on a level playing field, with no one taking a higher moral ground. I see the tactic Obama uses in his speeches at that kind of approach. He did it with the Islamic states and israel in his Cairo speech, in the example you used with Europe and the US. I think it's a device.

I think you are reading a lot between the lines. He has not shown shame at being American! I can see why people wouldn't like calling out the US on its less stellar traits -- some call it being honest, some think its apologizing -- I can see why people think each. I think Obama has shown nothing but pride in the US offerin...

I think you are reading a lot between the lines. He has not shown shame at being American! I can see why people wouldn't like calling out the US on its less stellar traits -- some call it being honest, some think its apologizing -- I can see why people think each. I think Obama has shown nothing but pride in the US offering him the opportunity to grow from being the son of an immigrant to the US President. He also shows a great deal of respect for those in his family who have served in the military. I think the "shame" part is reading in too much. Michelle Obama did use the word though. I thought (and I read between the lines on this,so I could be wrong) that what Obama wanted to change was the culture of fear that grew up after 9/11, and the polarization of and loss of civility in our population. I don't believe he has made moves to transform anything having to do with the basic principles of our constitution or freedoms, only the type of discourse we have with each other and with others. People disagree with that, but I have not found any fundamental changes in his approach from that of other presidents.

By the way, Fef, I always like discussing things with you. You keep an open mind and are respectful of the opinions of others. Thanks.
  • Margaret sue 2010/06/24 20:26:46
    Margaret
    +1
    Real dialog??? Hysterical. You're supposing that some of the worlds leaders can actually negotiate in good faith. Reality check...some cannot. Fact. Period. Apologize and submit away...not gonna change a damn thing.
  • sue Margaret 2010/06/25 12:39:57
    sue
    Well, it's already gotten us more NATO troops and an agreement to discuss the Israeli Palestinian issue, plus France working with us for a change. So, I'm willing to let them give it a try. It's sure working better than refusing to negotiate with anybody so far.
  • justonemom sue 2010/06/24 02:59:09
    justonemom
    +2
    "There is no reason for an American president to bow to anyone. Our friends and allies don't expect it, and our enemies see it as a sign of weakness." ~ VP Cheney

Obama quotes:
    The United States is still working through some of our own darker periods. Facing the Washington monument that I spoke of is a memorial to Abraham Lincoln, the man who freed those who were enslaved even after Washington led our Revolution. And our country still struggles with the legacy of our past treatment of Native Americans.

Make no mistake: this change did not come from any one nation alone. The Cold War reached a conclusion because of the actions of many nations over many years, and because the people of Russia and Eastern Europe stood up and decided that its end would be peaceful.

Yes, a colonial map that made little sense bred conflict, and the West has often approached Africa as a patron, rather than a partner.*

In my country, African-Americans — including so many recent immigrants — have thrived in every sector of society. We have done so despite a difficult past, and we have drawn strength from our African heritage.

Obama has apologized to the UN for America’s propensity to “act alone” rather than take the road of multilateral consultation, a claim which is patently false. Obama ha...

Obama quotes:

Obama has apologized to the UN for America’s propensity to “act alone” rather than take the road of multilateral consultation, a claim which is patently false. Obama has apologized to Europe for failing “to appreciate Europe’s leading role in the world” and for being arrogant, “even derisive.” Obama has apologized to Islam for having misprised, neglected, or demeaned the Muslim world and for grinding the umma beneath its colonial boot, and is now seeking pardon in the hope of restoring the harmony of “20 or 30 years ago” — which of course never existed. Obama has apologized to Turkey for “difficulties” and “strained” trust over “these past few years” — the same Turkey that is moving inexorably into the Iranian orbit of influence. Obama has apologized, through State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley, to Libyan despot Muammar Gaddafi for offensive remarks clumsily delivered. Dispatching his adviser Valery Jarrett to the World Economic Forum in Davos, Obama has apologized by proxy to the entire planet for America’s role in the economic meltdown. Obama effectively apologized to Japan for the way in which the war in the Pacific theater was brought to an end. Obama has apologized to Russia by other means, offering to press the “reset” button, as per the hapless Hillary Clinton. Via his mouthpiece Assistant Secretary of State Michael Posner, Obama has apologized to China, perhaps the world’s worst human rights offender, for Arizona’s entirely legitimate new immigration law. Obama’s Magical History Tour shows no sign of ever folding its tent and returning, however belatedly, to the real world or to the realm of national dignity. David Solway of Pajams Media
  • sue justonemom 2010/06/24 06:10:58
    sue
    In the first four short quotes, I see no apology. In fact the colonial map was drawn without much input from the US, so how is that anything but a statement of fact that the colonial borders don't make sense? We all know that to be true.

Are you denying that there was once slavery and that many people think of it as a "dark time" in our past? Are you saying it wasn't bad? Are you saying that immigrants have it easy? What are you saying exactly? These are just true acknowledgements of our own past. Is it that you want our president to pretend we are perfect?

In the big paragraph, if you check out Fef's video above, you will hear some of those quotes taken in context. He says the US does X, but then Europe does X. He is comparing the less than stellar behavior of the US to Europe and Vice Versa. He is asking that both parties come clean and renew their relationships. He did not say the US is to blame, nor did he apologize. He highlighted the behavior of the US and the behavior of Europe and said how both sides could do better.

The "reset" button was basically requesting that they start anew. With many countries around the world, the relationships were in the dumps. Requestign a fresh start is not the same as apologizing. Telling China at a human rights conference that forc...

The "reset" button was basically requesting that they start anew. With many countries around the world, the relationships were in the dumps. Requestign a fresh start is not the same as apologizing. Telling China at a human rights conference that forcing Arizona citizens to carry IDs is a troubling development is not apologizing. It is just pointing out that people have to be vigilant to stop human rights abuses and that seemingly purposeful laws can be abused. (have you ever gotten anywhere with someone if you tell them they are wrong all the time and you are always right?)

The man is a diplomat -- some say too diplomatic, but none of what you mentioned are apologies.

Also, I don't know what that thing was with the Saudis. Frankly, if they didn't have oil nobody would give a crap about them. But Cheney has a lot of nerve saying anything after he spend his term in a bunker saying nothing.
  • justonemom sue 2010/06/24 23:57:46
    justonemom
    I'm not denying we had slavery but how about we stop living in the past. We've done just about all we can do to make up for it. I don't hear Germany apologizing for killing Jews. No one alive today had anything to do with slavery. Africa has slaves itself, today. I don't see any great strides made in American relations with other nations. Everyone thought the world would love us if we'd just elect a black liberal with a silver tongue. Now what...this nation is in dire straits, far worse than anything and if we fall we take the entire western world down with us.
  • sue justonemom 2010/06/25 12:44:29
    sue
    Well, you didn't hear Obama apologizing for slavery either. Probably because nobody was alive at that time that is alive today. That's the point. It isn't apologizing to acknowledge that there are things the nation could have done better. It's just admitting we have learned lessons and moved on. There is a great deal of slavery today. Some of the illegal immigrants that people love to hate are, in fact, slaves.

Nobody thought that electing a black man would make us loved. However, many thought, correctly, that electing a man with some experience and knowledge in the world outside the US would give us better foreign policy. It has. Of course it isn't instant "kumbaya" all the time, because they know they could get somebody like Sarah Palin in a few years. But, at least they are talking to us and working with us again. The US has to participate in the world and we are again.
  • justonemom sue 2010/06/29 02:48:30
    justonemom
    You do realize that we have always "participated" with the world? That's just silly. The world continues to hate us just as they always have.
  • sue justonemom 2010/06/29 06:20:06
    sue
    We do a lot of things in the world, but in recent years there has not been any dialog with any countries that don't already agree with US policy. This is a problem, because you can't solve international issues without talking to all the parties involved. This is what I am talking about when I say participation. How, for example, does one get iran to change its behavior without actually negotiating agreements with Iran?
  • justonemom sue 2010/06/30 03:17:02
    justonemom
    Iran has become even more daring under Obama...not more friendly.
  • sue justonemom 2010/06/30 09:07:02
  • LiesTea... sue 2010/06/24 06:13:16
    LiesTeabagsNBullOhMy~ daAnte-Cries
    Come on, you expect them to back up their lies? It's all President's Obama's fault and I can prove it.
  • sue LiesTea... 2010/06/24 07:02:35
    sue
    Stale chips. I didn't know he could sink so low.
  • Ssgtwaldo sue 2010/06/24 07:14:05
    Ssgtwaldo
    Obama Apologizes For America Again At United Nations
    Posted by Jim Hoft on Wednesday, September 23, 2009, 11:10 AM

Obama apologized to the UN today for America “acting alone” and for the world’s “opposition to specific policies.”
    Then he said he would never apologize for acting in the interest of America. But he did.

Star Parker
    Government takes over, Obama apologizes

The Obama administration, completing its first full week, wasted no time getting priorities in order. First, issue formal apologies to the world, and then begin advancing massive, intrusive government at home.

The president chose Arab television, Al Arabiya, to give his first sit down interview. He took the opportunity to confirm the long held Arab view that the real problem is America and President Obama apologized on our behalf......

The Telegraph’s Toby Harnden writes:

Here in the Rhenus Sports Arena in Strasbourg, I’ve just witnessed what is surely a very important – I hesitate to say historic – moment in transatlantic relations. Barack Obama went further than any previous president in apologising for American behaviour.

“In America, there is a failure to appreciate Europe’s leading role in the world,” he said in a prepared speech delivered before a campaign-style town hall meeting in which he took questions f...

Star Parker
    Government takes over, Obama apologizes

The Telegraph’s Toby Harnden writes:

“In America, there is a failure to appreciate Europe’s leading role in the world,” he said in a prepared speech delivered before a campaign-style town hall meeting in which he took questions from mainly French and German students.

“Instead of celebrating your dynamic union and seeking to partner with you to meet common challenges, there have been times where America has shown arrogance and been dismissive, even derisive.”

There is much much more!
  • sue Ssgtwaldo 2010/06/24 07:24:31
    sue
    The only two actual quotes you have from Obama are taken out of context.

Here is the complete UN quote-- gives a totally different understanding of what obama was saying:
    " Some of our actions have yielded progress. Some have laid the groundwork for progress in the future. But make no mistake: This cannot solely be America's endeavor. Those who used to chastise America for acting alone in the world cannot now stand by and wait for America to solve the world's problems alone. We have sought -- in word and deed -- a new era of engagement with the world. And now is the time for all of us to take our share of responsibility for a global response to global challenges."

The quote at the bottom is followed by Europe's not so nice tendencies to the US. He mentioned both as failing to see the good in the other. No apology.

The other items in your post are from pundits giving their opinions or recaps of what Obama said, not quotes from Obama.
  • Margaret sue 2010/06/24 20:23:37
    Margaret
    Uh, yeah. How about more than one....

While in Germany:
    "America has shown arrogance and has been dismissive, even derisive towards it's allies".

While in Cairo:
    "And I consider it part of my responsibility as president of the United States to fight against negative stereotypes of Islam wherever they appear," said the president, who recalled hearing prayer calls of "azaan" at dawn and dusk while living in Indonesia as a boy…

My personal favorite...
    "My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join me as we try to change it."

He has failed to salute the U.S. flag at several functions while our National Anthem was played. He failed to attend the Veterans ceremony at Arlington National Cemetery.

The first diss was at his inauguration...
    The Salute to Heroes Inaugural Ball was begun in 1953 for President Dwight Eisenhower's inauguration. The event recognized recipients of the Medal of Honor, the nation's highest military award. There were 48 Medal of Honor recipients in attendance, who were undoubtedly disappointed by the Commander-in-Chief's failure to show. Over the past 56 years and 14 inaugurations, no President has skipped this event - until now.

He submits to leaders of other nations. No other President has ever bowed to a King of any na...

Uh, yeah. How about more than one....

While in Germany:

While in Cairo:

My personal favorite...

He submits to leaders of other nations. No other President has ever bowed to a King of any nation....

president skipped event submits leaders nations president bowed king nation
  • sue Margaret 2010/06/25 12:55:10
    sue
    Aaahhh. Using the take the half quote out of context trick. Obama often uses a devise in his speeches where he makes a statement that makes the audience comfortable by identifying something they see as negative about the US, and then following with something they need to do if they want the US to stop doing what they see as negative. It is very successful as a speaking device. However, it is easy for the likes of Fox News and their parroters to take his quotes out of context, giving them quite a different meaning.

While in Germany -- please use the whole quote:
    "In America, there's a failure to appreciate Europe's leading role in the world. Instead of celebrating your dynamic union and seeking to partner with you to meet common challenges, there have been times where America has shown arrogance and been dismissive, even derisive.But in Europe, there is an anti-Americanism that is at once casual but can also be insidious. Instead of recognizing the good that America so often does in the world, there have been times where Europeans choose to blame America for much of what's bad."

Quite different when it's taken in context, right?

Now use the full quote of the other: “I consider it part of my responsibility as President of the United States to fight against negative stereo...

Now use the full quote of the other: “I consider it part of my responsibility as President of the United States to fight against negative stereotypes of Islam wherever they appear....That same principle must apply to Muslim perceptions of America. Just as Muslims do not fit a crude stereotype, America is not the crude stereotype of a self-interested empire.”

Different again, right? Amazing what happens if you listen to the whole thing.

The next one, he never actually said -- sorry your personal favorite never happened:
    http://www.snopes.com/politic...

Saluting the flag is not a prerequisite. Where I grew up people did not salute the flag. In you have never been int he military, it is often considered in appropriate to salute.

2014/07/29 18:52:45