Gas prices were $4.21 a Gallon under Bush- So why is Obama to Blame for Gas Prices today ?

2012 Obama 2012/03/10 04:11:51
The hypocrisy of the Conservatives never fails to amaze me and the hypocrisy of blaming President Obama for rising gas prices is no exception!

Gas price under bush went to $4.21 a gallon and was over $3.00 a gallon most of his last term in office.

The only reason gas was at $1.85 when President Obama took office is because of the economic crash which greatly reduced demand and the crash effected all countries not just the US.

Gas prices rise with demand and as the economy has improved it is completely normal for gas prices to increase as more businesses use fuel for deliveries, more trucks on the road, more people traveling, and more people driving to work.

So our rising gas price is actually an indicator that the economy is recovering.

We also see a spike when the Libya UN action happened and now with Iran and Israel in a standoff an Syria effecting the region we are seeing another spike as speculators are betting on a war.

Anyone that tries to blame president Obama for higher gas prices is a fool and drilling more oil would not lower the price because we do not have a shortage and oil drilling has quadrupled in the last 4 years and the US is now a net exporter of oil.

So ignore the talking heads and fear monger Conservatives and complain all you want about higher gas prices but don't blame President Obama!

mmm

• Jay 2012/09/29 01:53:55
    Jay
    +5
    Let's see....gas has been over $3 a gallon since the beginning of Dec 2010....so Obama has had +$3 gas in half of his term (unless gas drops by 33% in a few months). Gas prices have risen 105% under Obama.

Gas was over $3 a total of 16 months in Bush's second term and 1 month of Bush's first term. So 17 Months total for Bush and 22 Total Months for Obama.

Who would think we could have found someone that actually made Bush look good...heck this current president even makes Carter look good.

• herb 2013/03/18 21:04:36
    herb
    +3
    first thing i take issue with is everyone refering to President Obama as a black man----his mother was white so he should be refered to as a white president------if people could put themselves into that mind set obamas support would improve
  • Crystal... herb 2013/03/20 07:15:34
    Crystal For Truth
    That is a racist remark in itself by saying people will support him because he's black...Go take a nap!
  • herb Crystal... 2013/11/04 13:54:28
    herb
    Not sure how you can get "racist remark" from my post-------------actually quite the opposite
  • susie.valentine 2013/03/02 17:07:51
    susie.valentine
    +1
    I am not a fan of Bush, or Obama, I think they're were and are not good presidents.. BUT so sick of seeing the false reports of gas being so low during Bush admin,, people are blaming Obama,, it was just as expensive, now I don't understand what makes them fall a week or so before Obama came into office, and the gradual rise.. I was hoping it did have something to do with Bush since it took a dive right before Obama came to office.. I wish our govt would really tell everyone how gas has these ups and downs in gas.. more people have switched to energy saving cars,, still no change.. I wish they would have those who buy vehicles that give such poor gas mileage pay a special fee to the govt, etc.. they obviously don't care if they get under 20 miles per gallon. Make them pay!!! My husband was getting on my case because I wanted him and my girls to drive 5 miles in our other car to the furniture store so they could help me pick out a mattress.. because of gas...
  • Joe Peaterson 2013/02/11 20:56:35
    Joe Peaterson
    +3
    and yet you were probably one of the gazillion people who were blaming bush for the same damn thing while he was in office....At least bush's administration tried to convince the big heads at the gas companies to bring it back to a realistic and resonable figure. The big heads responded by saying "our product has (in the last 50 yrs) risin slower than any other marketable item"...it was true, but the difference was that they raised there prices by 200-300% over the course of 6-8 years as opposed to the rise by the other marketable items occuring over the course of 50 years. This rise in gas prices is a BIG part of what CAUSED the recession and the drop in 09 was a result of the recession that the fuel industry CAUSED. You can't sell something to people who don't have money to pay for it and expect to turn a profit (as seen by the other big cause of the recession; the lending bussiness). It should be our elected officials who step in and DO SOMETHING about it (like the bush admin tried to, and obama has NOT)
  • brad.smyly Joe Pea... 2013/02/26 02:47:57
    brad.smyly
    +3
    Obama hasn't done much to help fuel prices to come down but he did set regulations for American auto manufacturers to make cars that get better gas mileage which was long overdue. Because of this newer cars are getting better gas mileage and by 2025 there will be a mandatory average of 54.5 mpg.
  • bamabuc77 brad.smyly 2013/08/09 22:22:06
    bamabuc77
    +2
    That's fine and all. But with the newer, lighter vehicles on the road, take a look at the fatality rates for these newer vehicles. More Americans are dying for better gas mileage.
  • Mark Frahm Joe Pea... 2013/03/25 14:16:22
    Mark Frahm
    +3
    Nice try!!! Drive out to a farm and ask them what they actually receive for their product after special fees,but still before expenses and taxes.
  • Mark Frahm Joe Pea... 2013/03/25 14:18:43
    Mark Frahm
    +3
    Um Joe, Bush owns oil wells! In this case gas should have been at $2.25/gal.
  • tommy. 2012/11/16 08:40:55
    tommy.
    +1
    The truth is? The conservatives is liars. Just like the lefties loons. Both the lefties loons and the conservatives is liars. What happen to the past and the future. This is the truth. The oil companies is paying off the Demotards and the Rino Republicans to keep fuel prices up for Americans. Obama and Bush is liars! That's why? We have fuel prices, so high.
  • Steve B... tommy. 2012/11/27 18:30:25
    Steve Bennett
    You got me thinking about "the past and the future" too but I was thinking about "the past and future" tense.
  • Memoes 2012/11/09 23:48:28 (edited)
    Memoes
    +3
    I have no idea why people can't be civil on here. That is the true problem with our country. It is this simple, either a President can or cannot influence oil prices. If he can, then both Bush and Obama could. If he can't then neither could do anything about it. I do know some facts. One, gas was cheaper under Bush's reign than Obama's. Two, when accounting for inflation, both are relatively the same. The graph is accurate as far as numbers go when consulting various references. The fact that what drives oil prices is supply and demand. The only power, albeit temporary, that a President has over prices is to open up the Federal Oil reserves to increase supply which in turn lowers prices. But this cannot be done for too long as it could put our nation at risk during natural disasters or dare I say it, war. The production of oil during Obama's first term was higher than it ever was during any other President's term. Problem is, so is our consumption. So here is the dilemma: Do we invest our monies into trying to only increase oil production here in the US when countries around the world can start cutting down their supply resulting in a net increase of zero world wide. Or can we work on increasing supply by cutting our demand through the use of alternative energies. I think both...
    I have no idea why people can't be civil on here. That is the true problem with our country. It is this simple, either a President can or cannot influence oil prices. If he can, then both Bush and Obama could. If he can't then neither could do anything about it. I do know some facts. One, gas was cheaper under Bush's reign than Obama's. Two, when accounting for inflation, both are relatively the same. The graph is accurate as far as numbers go when consulting various references. The fact that what drives oil prices is supply and demand. The only power, albeit temporary, that a President has over prices is to open up the Federal Oil reserves to increase supply which in turn lowers prices. But this cannot be done for too long as it could put our nation at risk during natural disasters or dare I say it, war. The production of oil during Obama's first term was higher than it ever was during any other President's term. Problem is, so is our consumption. So here is the dilemma: Do we invest our monies into trying to only increase oil production here in the US when countries around the world can start cutting down their supply resulting in a net increase of zero world wide. Or can we work on increasing supply by cutting our demand through the use of alternative energies. I think both needs to be done but with an emphasis on alternative energies. Oil will not last forever. While we might have enought for a hundred or so years, their is much more abundant resources available. Let's face it, when solar energy runs out, our planet is done. When oil runs out, it shouldn't be. Extracting oil from shale needs to be part of the plan, but we need to put money into wind, solar, geothermal, and others. This didn't seem to be much in the plan of the Republicans (of which I am). So to that I applaud Obama. Now for his other economic policies, not so much. One thing that I do disagree with my party about is this antiquainted idea that to be a global power you have increase the amount spent on defense. I want the best for those who protect but I also want to put them in places where they are wanted. Bush I showed what can be done with bombings and arial assults. Obama has shown when can be done with the use of drones. But this idea of us being the world's police needs to stop. We have enough problems at home where we could use these valuable service men. We are still the number one world power, but if we keep getting involved in more and more of other's problems, we won't be.
  • Mark Frahm Memoes 2013/03/25 14:31:29
    Mark Frahm
    +2
    I agree. Also people need to know, that it is mostly our own Government right down to the local level that is red taping and holding back alternative energies.
  • Timu 2012/10/27 13:13:22
    Timu
    +3
    The numbers are very clear. it is funny to see some people support their party the way they support their football teams.

HK
    http://miamisaves.org
  • Steve Bennett 2012/10/15 15:38:13
    Steve Bennett
    Yes, Jay, I long for those days of 9% declines in GDP, unemployment growing by 700K per month and not knowing whether any money would dispense from my ATM. Ah, the good old days.

Whether we pump Canadian heavy crude to Houston or not, let's try to understand this about XL; it isn't "our" oil. First, it's dug from Canada mud. Second, it belongs to the oil companies that extract it. It is NOT destined for consumption in US markets. It WILL be sold on the international oil markets as if it came out of the ground in Saudi Arabia or the North Sea. Everybody got that?
  • Mark Frahm Steve B... 2013/03/25 14:37:23
  • pfwag 2012/10/09 15:43:51
    pfwag
    If high gas prices were a problem when Bush was president then high gas prices are a problem when Obama is President. The common denominator? America's inept and asinine energy policies.

However, the real hypocrisy is on how the high gas prices were reported under Bush to how they are not reported under Obama. Seen a tear-jerker story lately how some poor person has to choose between filling up their car or buying groceries?
  • Gary 2012/10/01 02:51:16
    Gary
    +3
    The hypocrisy of the liberal progressive comunist media amazes me. You see how it was a bad thing for Bush when gas went up but Oh how wonderful it is when gas goes up under Obama. Oh yes the economy is going strong .. Bull Crap. This article was written by one who is drinking kool aid.
  • Steve B... Gary 2012/10/15 15:25:51
    Steve Bennett
    The idiocy of someone who believes there is a liberal, communist media amazes me!
  • bamabuc77 Steve B... 2013/08/09 22:26:39
    bamabuc77
    +2
    Are you seriously saying that there is no liberal media bias,Steve? What rock have you been living under?
  • Crys J Gary 2012/10/26 12:43:13
    Crys J
    +2
    No one says it is ok for gas prices to go up!
    I was in the middle of my college career when bush was president and I went from driving to taking a bus due to gas prices! And yes it's crazy at any point when has prices are high but gas prices just like meat prices and any other prices that are affected by supply and demand. But hey what do I know.
  • Jay 2012/09/29 01:53:55
    Jay
    +5

• Kyle Mu... Jay 2012/10/01 20:32:35
    Kyle Mueller
    +5
    Jay, you are a certifiable douche. Gas prices have nothing to do with who is in the White House. The US was a Net Exporter for the first time since 1949. Do you know what that means douchehead? That means we used less oil and exported more. But its what is happening over in the middle east that drives prices. You can thank OPEC for that ( do you know what that is?). I love how you righties think its Obama's fault. Wake up. You can thank your Wall St speculators for driving up prices as oh and also, the economy is much better that there are more cars on the road and production is up so fuel is needed for industry....douchehead.
  • Dennis ... Kyle Mu... 2012/10/03 06:24:58
    Dennis Gallagher
    +4
    Gee I'm always amazed how eloquent, classy and articulate the left is. In your vernacular you are a hate-Ameriacn, socialist, moron, Obama lemming zombie. Obama has shut down public permits and the XL Pipeline all as part of his master hate-America plan to destroy America's economy. This idiot occupying my WH loves useful idiots like you to carry his water. Time and space does not permit how abysmal, destructive and incompetent this moron is on all fronts domestically & internationally sitting in my WH. He is an embarrassment and a joke. Anyone who votes for this idiot either (1) hates America or (2) is an idiot . Pick your poison "douchehead", but I'm sure he'll get your moronic, hate-America vote.
  • Ed Dennis ... 2012/10/04 09:34:35
    Ed
    +4
    Gee I'm also amazed at how eloquent, classy, articulate, the right is...and, oh, "American" is spelled "American" not "Ameriacn"....You might think you are articulate you rich, pompous, 1%, Romney-Lover, but you sure in the hell don't even know how to respond to someone on the Left and spell things correctly! I hope you make over $1,000,000 a year because if you don't then you may think you are Romney's friend but you won't be included in his Upper-crust, Elitist Vision for a new 1% America. Anyone who votes for Romney is either (1) an Elitist, 1%, rich, pig who does not care about anyone or anything besides how much money he has, or (2) the Devil himself !!! Romney will turn this once great Nation into a Communist Nation much like North Korea where only 1% have all the wealth and everyone else in the Country is poor and slaves to the Aristocracy!!!
  • TheDman113 Kyle Mu... 2012/10/18 01:06:15
    TheDman113
    +2
    "Gas prices have nothing to do with who is in the White House."

It doesn't? Better tell these people then: http://www.youtube.com/watch?...
  • JP Jay 2012/11/04 04:44:15
    JP
    +3
    Actually average gas prices across the US have been over $3/gal since March 2010 which makes it that much worse!
  • jacquiw... Jay 2012/12/27 12:26:29
    jacquiwalker8
    +16
    It was only Bush's fault that gas went up...now that Obama has rising gas prices, its not the fault of the president...amazing ...and predictable!
  • Barry fleharty 2012/08/25 17:57:50
    Barry fleharty
    +5
    You people sure had no problem blaming Bush when oil spiked yet Obama isn't to be blamed for anything even though this time it is Obama's fault. He shut down drilling in the gulf. The courts ordered him to re-open drilling. He still hasn't fully (throwing 20,000 people out of work). He is refusing the pipeline to bring in oil from Canada.
  • ray 2012/07/08 17:23:06 (edited)
    ray
    +1
    All the LWNJs do is blame Bush for Obama's mistakes.
  • Shepard... ray 2012/10/12 20:29:22
    Shepardwong1
    +4
    Na, we blame Barbara and George H.W. for that.
  • brad.smyly Shepard... 2013/02/26 02:53:33
    brad.smyly
    +3
    Their biggest mistake was conceiving children. Barbara should have been on the pill!
  • ὤTṻnde΄ӂ 2012/03/26 01:09:28
    ὤTṻnde΄ӂ
    One reason and one reason only. We have a black president with a Muslim-sounding name. Fux was all over gas prices under Bush reporting the price was NOT Bush's fault nor could he do anything about it.
    Here's proof that Fux and the right said Bush was not responsible for high gas prices:
    http://youtu.be/UzEnKdBAb_o
  • John Galt jr or Ron/jon 2012/03/13 23:23:11
  • S and S 2012/03/11 00:35:25
  • 2012 Obama S and S 2012/03/11 02:11:35
    2012 Obama
    No Obama did not promise to keep gas prices down and it is completely normal for gas prices to increase as demand increases. That is part of that free market you guys are always yelling about.
  • S and S 2012 Obama 2012/03/11 03:05:05
  • 2012 Obama S and S 2012/03/11 03:27:47
    2012 Obama
    There is a surplus because of the crash that reduced demand. That is changing as the economy improves and demand increases. It is all the normal process of the economic system and the peaks are just speculators betting on a war.
  • S and S 2012 Obama 2012/03/11 03:43:55 (edited)
  • 2012 Obama S and S 2012/03/11 03:55:20 (edited)
    2012 Obama
    +1
    So what is your point ?

He has worked for alternative energy and to reduce subsidies for big oil. But that has nothing to do with current gas prices.

He made no promise in that video to keep gas prices down. He said we are sick of higher prices and that is the truth!

2014/08/01 04:09:50