Gainesville High School Students' Racist YouTube Rant Forces Girls To Leave School, Apologize (VIDEO)

Herb 2012/02/22 15:32:38
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/21/gainesville-high-sch...
video is on this page at bottom turned off on youtube

After two minors from Gainesville High School in Gainesville, Fla., posted a nearly 14-minute-long racist rant on YouTube, the girls are "no longer students at the school," WCJB-TV reports.

(Scroll for video.)

Last week, eight police officers were brought to the campus in light of death threats the girls were receiving in response to their videos. The videos included comments like, "You can understand what we are saying, our accents, we use actual words. Black people do not."

Gainesville High School principal David Shelnutt did not go into detail on the extent of the disciplinary action taken against the girls, but did tell WCJB that their comments were not welcome at the school.

"There's no place for comments like that, that video here at GHS," Shelnutt told the station. "There's no place for that in the Alachua County Public School System, and my opinion, no place for that in society in general."

Since the video went viral last week, the girls have experienced harassment and said they feared for their safety. According to one report by the Gainesville Sun, one of the students involved was hiding out at a relative's house while her mother was at work.

“Our lives have changed totally, 180 degrees," her mother told the paper. "This has made her an adult really quick.”

The girls and one of their parents issued a formal apology in the paper Monday:

"I am one of the girls who were in the racist video that got posted. I’m writing this so that I can tell people how truly sorry I am. I could never, in a million years, have pictured this happening with me involved. I wasn’t raised to hate people for their race, and I still don’t. I made a horrible decision in being a part of this video ... "

The girl also writes that she won't make excuses, but hopes the community will eventually forgive her.

In another apology, the second girl's mother says her daughter has gone into a depression following the backlash of the video, and hopes that the community will forgive her and end the harassment:

"While we can never take back the words and actions that these two children have said, we have to start to heal and forgive IMMEDIATELY. Stop the violent threats to our homes and our children, stop the anger, because this will solve absolutely nothing, and most importantly, look at yourself for change and love."

According to the Gainesville Sun, the high school will wear orange, the color of racial tolerance, this week as a sign of solidarity.

The response to the girls' videos echos sentiments of racial issues in school communities across the country.

Just last summer, 18-year-old Kymberly Wimberly of Arkansas filed suit against McGehee Secondary School after four years of nearly straight-As, honors and Advanced Placement classes had placed her at the top of her graduating class. The suit alleges that though she earned the marks, the school denied her valedictorian status because she is black.

A separate suit filed against a Minnesota school district last August claimed that a Red Wing High School homecoming event called "Wigger Day" caused a black student "severe emotional distress including depression, loss of sleep, stress, crying, humiliation, anxiety, and shame."

"Wigger is a pejorative slang term for a white person who emulates the mannerisms, language and fashions associated with African-American culture," the complaint explains. Students were encouraged to dress in oversized sports jerseys, low-slung pants, baseball hats cocked to the side and 'doo rags.

Most recently in Norcross, Ga., a Beaver Ridge Elementary School teacher resigned after outcry over a third grade math assignment that used slavery examples in word problems. Parents were outraged at both the assignment and the school district's response to the reports of those math problems, which included references to cotton, orange picking and beatings.

One problem read: "If Frederick got two beatings per day, how many beatings did he get in 1 week?"

On the other end of the spectrum, this sensitivity -- or sometimes, lack thereof -- seems to create a bit of an identity crisis among schoolchildren. Some black students say they feel ostracized for acting "too white." One Connecticut middle school student said he was stabbed in the back with a pencil by a peer who thought he wasn't acting "black enough."

• Shigyrl but outspoken on my... 2012/02/22 16:27:51
    Shigyrl but outspoken on my future
    +4
    There is something wrong with this generation of kids. I find there is a huge disconnect with what those who came before tried to achieve, and what these kids know as right or wrong. Sorry to hear these girls are receiving threats and now they can't attend their school. They brought this on themselves. The other issues mentioned like the valedictorian. Was she at the top of her class. I have learned straight A's don't mean jack these days. I personally can attest to not being considered black enough by other black people. Its a shame that in order to be black you have to be a certain way.

• lowcountry70 2012/10/17 17:51:40
    lowcountry70
    They need a good ass whuppin.
  • DebraJMSmith 2012/02/23 00:55:11 (edited)
    DebraJMSmith
    +1
    I watched the whole video:

What I saw on the video, were two very immature 18 year old girls. They were clearly raised in a ghetto school and are clearly frustrated by what they saw and heard. And I don't believe it has anything to do with skin color, but rather how they feel that some people with one skin color behave in their school. However, they too have a lot to learn when it comes to good-behavior.

Debra...
  • Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA 2012/02/22 22:34:36
    Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA
    Sad
  • Nina 2012/02/22 21:00:50
  • cellophane 2012/02/22 16:35:19
    cellophane
    +2
    >>>On the other end of the spectrum, this sensitivity -- or sometimes, lack thereof -- seems to create a bit of an identity crisis among schoolchildren. Some black students say they feel ostracized for acting "too white." One Connecticut middle school student said he was stabbed in the back with a pencil by a peer who thought he wasn't acting "black enough."<<<

Insistence on being different is an insistence on an Us vs. Them scenario - and no matter on which side of the fence you happen to be on, Us is always, ALWAYS better than Them. And then you have an 'ism', in this case, racism. And it's obviously happening on both sides. Both sides need to tear down the fence and incorporate everyone into the Us group.
    +2
    It is sad indeed to see the rise of racial divide once again, we made so much progress until the campaigns in 2008. This is what comes of calling racist non stop and making an election about race rather than issues. It should not be tolerated by any group - the not white enough/not black enough BS as well as racially charged days, videos etc should be ridiculed and ignored by thinking people
  • Shigyrl... Jackie ... 2012/02/22 18:53:56
    Shigyrl but outspoken on my future
    +2
    Exactly
    Shigyrl but outspoken on my future
    +4
  • Herb Shigyrl... 2012/02/22 17:06:57
    Herb
    +4
    your pretty lady no matter you color. and i agree with your opinion
  • Shigyrl... Herb 2012/02/22 18:00:15
    Shigyrl but outspoken on my future
    +2
    Aww your sweet herb thank you.
  • Herb Shigyrl... 2012/02/22 18:06:33
    Herb
    +3
    you welcome hottie
  • Charles E Shigyrl... 2012/02/22 17:28:25
    Charles E
    +3
    As always a well stated and clear response.
    It is sad that there are still people of all colors who don't think human is a good enough description.
  • Herb Charles E 2012/02/22 17:34:08
    Herb
    +3
    agreed.
  • Shigyrl... Charles E 2012/02/22 18:02:47
    Shigyrl but outspoken on my future
    +3
    It would be nice if we could see each other as human. Just another person. With a heartbeat and blood flowing through our veins.
  • Herb Shigyrl... 2012/02/22 23:44:56
    Herb
    +1
    we should see all as human we all bleed red and not color.
  • Shigyrl... Herb 2012/02/23 02:23:17
    Shigyrl but outspoken on my future
    Exactly

2014/07/30 21:25:40