Gabrielle Giffords Will Resign to Focus on Recovery: Right Decision?

Politics 2012/01/22 21:47:04
In a video released on Sunday, Representative Gabrielle Giffords announced that she would be resigning from Congress to focus on her recovery. It has been a little over a year since the Arizona Democrat was shot in the head while meeting with constituents outside a supermarket in Tucson.

During the January 8, 2011 shooting rampage, carried out by 22-year-old Jared Lee Loughner, six people were killed and thirteen others were wounded. Loughner is currently undergoing treatment in Springfield, Missouri and is being forcibly medicated in an effort to make him mentally ready to stand trial. In federal court, Loughner plead not guilty to 49 counts stemming from the shootings.

In the video Giffords explained in a halting voice, “I don’t remember much from that horrible day, but I will never forget the trust you placed in me to be your voice. Thank you for your prayers and for giving me time to recover. I have more work to do on my recovery, so to do what is best for Arizona I will step down this week.”

She also hinted at a possible return to public service in the future. “I will return, and we will work together for Arizona and this great country,” she said.

According to her website, “Before she leaves office, Giffords will finish her Congress On Your Corner event that was interrupted by a gunman on Jan. 8, 2011. In a private gathering in Tucson, Giffords will meet with some of the people” who attended last year.

Giffords will submit her letter of resignation later this week to House Speaker John Boehner and Arizona Governor Jan Brewer. Under Arizona law, Brewer has 72 hours from the day the vacancy is declared to set the dates for special elections. Primaries must take place 80-90 days later followed by a general election 50-60 days after that. The winner of the special election will hold office until Giffords’s term expires at the end of this year.

Democratic officials had held out hope for months that Giffords might recover sufficiently to run for re-election or possibly even to run for retiring Republican Jon Kyl’s Senate seat. Now some are hoping that Giffords’s husband, the retired astronaut Mark Kelly, will run in her place. However, friends of the couple say that this is unlikely and that Kelly would be more inclined to spend his time helping his wife recover.

What do you think about Giffords’s resignation? Is she making the right decision?

Read More: http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/gabr...

• Sissy 2012/01/23 03:18:11
    Sissy
    +16
    I think she had no other choice. To have continued in such a high stress job would have hampered her recovery and her constituents need a Representative. What a magnificent human being and such a role model. Bless her heart. God's speed for her recovery.

• Louis Contreras 2012/03/03 02:21:12
    Louis Contreras
    Once her recovery is completed she should run again.
  • mwf122090 2012/02/16 03:00:36
    mwf122090
    It probably is the best choice, but being that I have no person connection to Rep. Giffords I can only know so much. It's sad that's she's forced to resign due to the insanity of a crazed, murderous lunatic. I hope that within time she makes a full recovery!
  • MJ 2012/02/01 14:32:27
    MJ
    Unfortunately, I believe that this was not even really a question. At this point, she does not have the facilities to maintain a role in congress. I wish her all the best in her recovery, and I hope we can see her return to public service in the future. We need to see more strong women and that is exactly what she is.
  • Jim 2012/01/29 16:05:57
    Jim
    +1
    What a courageous woman. Someone to be admired and encourage others to be like her.
    +1
    Obama only has Marxist Puppets to replace her with
  • Darth Bane - Libertarian 4 ... 2012/01/28 17:11:46
    Darth Bane - Libertarian 4 Life
    +1
    I applaud that she knew to step down in order to get her health in order.
  • dominic garcia 2012/01/25 19:59:43
    dominic garcia
    +1
    That is the right thing to do considering the circumstances. It will be a while before they really know the extent of the damage to her brain. :(
  • Tigger Too 2012/01/25 17:32:27
    Tigger Too
    +1
    The Tuscon tragedy has taken another victim, the political career of Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, one of the few voices of reason and bipartisanship on Capitol Hill. We can see the physical manifestations of the gunshot she took to her head, but it's hard to fathom the psychological scars she must carry from that horrible day. God bless Gabby and her husband, Mark Kelly, and I hope and pray that she makes a speedy and full recovery from her wounds. I also thank her for her tireless and devoted service to her country. She is a true American hero.
  • dallasjoe 2012/01/25 17:19:58
    dallasjoe
    +1
    Hope her seat goes to a dem and they rewin the House
  • Lefty 2012/01/25 16:42:24
    Lefty
    +2
    What a beautiful human being, inside and out! She will be back some day.
  • jacktown kid 2012/01/25 16:03:42
    jacktown kid
    +1
    She does to take car of her health
  • Greg 2012/01/25 13:15:00
    Greg
    +1
    Gee... having someone with significant brain trauma running the country? Yeah, she better step down, eventhough I'm surprised the other libs let her do it. I thought the brain injury might help her better understand liberal policies!
  • santanasmooth 2012/01/25 11:34:33
    santanasmooth
    +1
    it's her decision and she was pretty brave for going on as long as she did after what happened.
  • Dark Beam 2012/01/25 08:41:45
    Dark Beam
    Oh I was just guessing what most people were saying.
  • teigan 2012/01/25 07:19:49
    teigan
    +1
    She's making the best decision for herself and her recovery. Politics should never be put ahead of ones health. No job should be put before one's health.
  • natwebb 2012/01/25 05:38:54
    natwebb
    +1
    I am sure she is a nice person. It is truly sad what happened to her. However . . . if she cannot do the job she is being paid to do, the people of her district are not being served.
  • jdemme 2012/01/25 05:12:55
    jdemme
    I liked the Congresswoman and her views. I'll be sad to see her go. I guess it's very selfish o me...lol. I look forward to her return to the political realm, though.
  • ppk007@cfl.rr.com 2012/01/25 04:09:28
    ppk007@cfl.rr.com
    +1
    Yes - very brave woman.
  • aazeen 2012/01/25 03:08:40
    aazeen
    +1
    Yes her health is more important
  • Fashionable60s 2012/01/25 02:51:09
    Fashionable60s
    +2
    TBI is a catastrophic injury. She is visibly disabled and truly would be unable to perform her duties. Her priority would be to continue with her rehab work. She has the support from her loved ones and her constituents. Hope she continues to mend. God speed, Gaby. Your health is far more important than politics.
  • jc 2012/01/25 02:43:06
    jc
    +3
    It was her only choice.She cannot do her job.And I'm glad she made this decision.Because stepping down gracefully is far easier than the alternate.
  • Suzy 2012/01/25 01:34:40
    Suzy
    +3
    Mrs. Giffords needs to take care of herself, and she's simply not able to do the job right now. She had terrible trauma and it's fantastic that she's doing so well.
  • Larson Whipsnade 2012/01/25 01:27:26
    Larson Whipsnade
    +3
    I think her health is a little more important than politics
  • wildbill 2012/01/25 01:21:12
    wildbill
    +3
    I support her totally.
  • harasnicole 2012/01/24 22:17:34
    harasnicole
    +3
    She knows what's more important, between her recovery and going back to being a congresswoman. If and when she's ready, she'll say so.
  • TheRealShika200 2012/01/24 22:05:54
    TheRealShika200
    +3
    everyone needs time to recover
  • Boo 2012/01/24 21:46:44
    Boo
    +5
    Another stupid question SH!!

Of course she is making the right decision!! One's health and mind must be in top notch shape in order to be a good and responsible public servant. I'm sure the Democratic Party puts itself "collectively" ahead of any one member or representative, but her husband's place is at her side supporting her through her recovery as well. I think only a devoted communist would consider anything other than what they must have already decided together.
  • Will Advocate of PHAET 2012/01/24 21:36:23
    Will Advocate of  PHAET
    +5
    A very classy lady. I wish her the best!
  • Stryder 2012/01/24 21:10:55
    Stryder
    +6
    For her constituents sake, it was the right thing to do. She was unable to represent them (obviously thru no fault of her own).
  • DUGGINS 2012/01/24 20:13:35
    DUGGINS
    +6
    i'm not a democrat but I think Ms Giffords showed the proper method of dealing with an illness that would have caused her trouble in trying to do her job as a congresswoman.
    She showed a ability not to continue in her profession as a representative of her district.
    Unlike some other politicians like Strom Thurmond and Robert Byrd who had to be almost
    carried to their seats in the senate. I applaud her for her courage, and if I were from her district I would certainly vote to reelect her to Congress after her rehabilitation
  • big dipper 2012/01/24 20:10:32
    big dipper
    +7
    Congresswoman Gifford is a brave woman who needs to put her health first. She has served and almost died because of the hate filled atmosphere in today's world and politics. The obviously sick young man will serve a lifetime behide bars. She need to break free from the mental and physical cahllenges so she can go to the next chapter of her life. I wish her well and hope she recovers to serve again is she is up to it.
  • banzaibuckaroo 2012/01/24 19:39:47
    banzaibuckaroo
    +5
    she need to concentrate on herself.
  • ScottyG - Faqueue 2012/01/24 19:36:20
    ScottyG - Faqueue
    +2
    She knows she isn't mentally fit to hold office. Take a hint and get a clue from this Obie!
  • big dipper ScottyG... 2012/01/26 14:36:48
    big dipper
    +1
    To criticize this brave woman because of party affiliation is just plain sick and goes to the heart of what is wrong with the right wing. Why don't you go and enlist! You right wing war mongers who want to start wars while they sit safely at home to let the poor and middle class folks you condemn fight and die to help you keep your freedom while you make your money sickens me. It is you who doesn't have a clue about the joint contract of America and having each others back.

Freedom isn't free but that is what Republicans want. Freedom without the pain. It is very clear here who is in need of mental assistance.
  • ScottyG... big dipper 2012/01/26 16:12:36
    ScottyG - Faqueue
    Well you earned the big FAQUEUE of the day for several reasons.

First of all, you failed reading comprehension in school. Read it again. "Take a hint and get a clue from this Obie!" That meant that he is not mentally fit to run office. He is a failure and out of his league mentally.

I already served in the military 30 years ago. How about you? What have you done for your country? Except maybe take a welfare check?

How dare you talk about the military at all. Scum like you should feel shame instead of putting the welfare of your own sorry butt before the welfare of ALL Americans.

I didn't die when I was deployed to Lebanon, but at least I went when called to serve.

It's you liberal fools who have no clue what it means to put America instead of yourselves first.

And don't you make up what your idea of freedom is, you don't deserve to utter the words.

In the future, i'd expect some respect from clueless small minded punks like you.

And where's all the so called liberal passion for all the other folks that died that day, including the little girl? They got about 30 seconds of air time, while she got hours and TV specials. The liberals are more concerned about losing her vote than anything.

How about any mention of Mark Kirk, the Illinois Senator who just suffered a stroke? Almost no men...

How about any mention of Mark Kirk, the Illinois Senator who just suffered a stroke? Almost no mention of his medical condition in the news.

You're one big giant hypocrite who doesn't deserve to breath the same air as I do.
  • big dipper ScottyG... 2012/03/05 15:32:21
    big dipper
    You seem to mistake me for someone else because I like you served our nation for 14 years. So you can put away your liberal talking points but it does go to the heart of what it means to be an American. I don't call people names and then expect to get respect. Your comment was meanspirited and disrespected the President of the United States, your President or do you only serve those who look like you.

If you don't know the difference between being shot and having a stroke then I question your credentials. Mr Kirk show step down as well but Republicans just like some Democrates with Ted Kennedy are afraid of losing power. The difference between you and I is I can respect an opinion without resorting to the old lame get out of American route Republicans seem to believe. My Great Grandfather, Grandfather, Father and I all served this nation's military; even though this nation and people like you would not stand up support our rights as Americans. Deserve to breath your air, the air of freedom I breath, I've earned! I refrain from calling you any names but if by chance we ever meet in person, I would love for you to freely express yourself and take advantage of the space and opportunity to physically prove your point. It is easy to call people names on the internet. I would love for you to do it face to face. I live in DC.

Your move!
  • ScottyG... big dipper 2012/03/05 16:34:59
    ScottyG - Faqueue
    You like most liberals believe that some Americans are more entitled than others. But your MSM never gives equal time or respect to those who deserve it. Only the hand picked ones you seem to respect while you ignore and disrespect the rest.

The liberals love to hand pick the martyrs that support their cause and dust under the rug those that don't. How cliche.
  • big dipper ScottyG... 2012/03/06 17:11:31
    big dipper
    Scooty G,

I never said some American are more entitled than others. That is an assumption you make. I only say that Mrs. Gifford is a brave women who was neelessly shot by a sick young man and should be allowed to focus on her recovery. I thought it improper to bring in any questions about the President. I thought it was a cheap shot at her and him.
  • ScottyG... big dipper 2012/03/07 16:16:10
    ScottyG - Faqueue
    Your obvious lefty opinion. But it's clear there is a double standard. the LSM loves the left and pays little attention conservatives and anything that happens to them.

It's not your fault. You took the blue pill. Wake up, The matrix has you.
  • big dipper ScottyG... 2012/03/19 00:12:47
    big dipper
    Well your red pills seem to have taken an affect over you objectivity. I concur, it is not you fault. You do appear to be a person who can show respect for other opinions and I can respect that because we are both Americans. Their is a middle ground where you and I can agree and I hope we fine it!

God Bless the United States of American and Our President.

2014/09/01 18:55:35