Fuzzy Math?: CNBC Describes New Unemployment Numbers as 'Contradictory'

Annette 2012/10/05 17:54:28
Also questioning this "fuzzy math" by the Bureau of Labor Statistics is ABC's Chris Cuomo, and MSNBC's Joe Scarborough.

Here is an excerpt from the link below:

"Adding to the mystery is the fact that
the U-6, the longtime underemployment and unemployment number, remained
fixed at a dismal 14.7%
.

"What this .03% drop means (per Ed Morrissey)
is that the number of unemployed people dropped by 456,000 when only
114k jobs were created--well below the monthly average, and below
population growth. Where did 342k people go to lower the number so
dramatically just 31 days before a presidential election? Did they
retire, leave the planet, die of old age in the unemployment office?

"Moreover, just 30 days before the election, 342K people dropped off the unemployment rolls and lowered the unemployment rate to below 8%---a benchmark number vitally important to Presdient Obama who promised his stimulus would ensure we wouldn't hit 8%."

Link: http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2012/10/05/Fuzz-Math-...

• MQ-American Values Again (AVA) 2012/10/05 18:12:43 (edited)
    MQ-American Values Again (AVA)
    +8
    ROFL'ng .... yea, anyone who believes unemployment dropped OVERNIGHT from 8.2% to 7.8% (and "suddenly" after Obama's abysmal performance in his debate with Romney several nights ago) ... will also believe it when I tell you that at age 65, I woke up this morning pregnant with twins!

_____

cooking the books
    ____
    Doncha just love the smell of tuna casserole? Obama does... LOL
    cooking the books

• Doran 2012/10/06 02:51:24
    Doran
    +1
    Fishy math. Some people were shifted over to disability from unemployment to get the numbers down but now there are even more vanishing unemployed people.
  • bluejacket 2012/10/06 02:05:24
    bluejacket
    +2
    Can I tell a relevant story?

The kids filed into class Monday morning. They were all very excited.

Their weekend assignment was to sell something, then give a talk on salesmanship.
    Little Sally led off. "I sold Girl Scout cookies and I made $30" she said proudly, "My sales approach was to appeal to the customer's civil spirit and I credit that approach for my obvious success."

"Very good", said the teacher.

Little Debbie was next. "I sold magazines" she said, "I made $45 and I explained to everyone that magazines would keep them up on current events."

"Very good, Debbie", said the teacher.

Eventually, it was Little Johnny's turn. The teacher held her breath. Little Johnny walked to the front of the classroom and dumped a box full of cash on the teacher's desk. "$2,467", he said.

"$2,467!" cried the teacher, "What in the world were you selling?"

Toothbrushes", said Little Johnny. "Toothbrushes", echoed the teacher, "How could you possibly sell enough tooth brushes to make that much money?"

"I found the busiest corner in town", said Little Johnny, "I set up a Dip &Chip; stand and I gave everybody who walked by a free sample."

They all said the same thing, "Hey, this tastes like dog poop!" Then I would say, "It IS dog poop. Wanna buy a too...

Can I tell a relevant story?

"Very good", said the teacher.

"Very good, Debbie", said the teacher.

They all said the same thing, "Hey, this tastes like dog poop!" Then I would say, "It IS dog poop. Wanna buy a toothbrush? I used the President Obama method of giving you some crap, dressing it up so it looks good, telling you it's free and then making you pay to get the bad taste out of your mouth."

Little Johnny got five stars for his assignment. Bless his heart.
  • Annette bluejacket 2012/10/06 19:04:16
  • stevmackey 2012/10/05 22:59:14
    stevmackey
    +3
    He flunked math and history, now he is President of the "57 states" as he said it. They may all be right!
  • TombstoneJim 2012/10/05 21:53:37
    TombstoneJim
    +1
    Humm, sounds like skullduggery to me....or a in the tank federal govenment.....or both
  • Mr. Smith 2012/10/05 21:38:51
    Mr. Smith
    +3
    And the Wall Street Journal warns that these numbers should be taken "with a grain of salt." Yeah.....add a lime wedge and a tequila shot too!
  • ☆Hitler... Mr. Smith 2012/10/06 04:57:00
    ☆Hitler was a community organiz☆
    +2
    ya tequila...I think that is how they got those numbers in the first place
  • Mr. Smith ☆Hitler... 2012/10/06 13:58:00
    Mr. Smith
    +2
    Absolutely.....and a few calls from Axelrod.
  • Annette Mr. Smith 2012/10/06 19:06:13
    Annette
    +1
    two tequila shot toast
    I'll drink to that!
  • Todd Parsons 2012/10/05 20:45:17
    Todd Parsons
    +3
    Not sure if I posted this here yet or not but,

This morning, the Wall Street Journal reported the following:

"U.S. payrolls, obtained in a separate survey of employers, increased by a seasonally adjusted 114,000 jobs last month, the Labor Department said Friday. Economists surveyed by Dow Jones Newswires expected a gain of 118,000 in payrolls and an 8.1% jobless rate."

So, a gain of 118,000 would have resulted in an 8.1% rate but a gain of 114,000 resulted in a 7.8% rate? How do fewer jobs actually result in a lower unemployment rate?
  • Annette Todd Pa... 2012/10/05 20:48:44
    Annette
    +1
    Yes, I know, I saw that after this post - is that just incredulous? Sounds just like the scum bag and his band of "merry men", doesn't it?
  • Todd Pa... Annette 2012/10/05 20:51:25
    Todd Parsons
    +2
    Yes...this is also why he wants to disarm Americans... that way they can never really revolt.
  • Annette Todd Pa... 2012/10/05 20:57:45
    Annette
    THAT is a certainty!!! One we are not going to let happen either.
  • firebird 2012/10/05 20:25:42
    firebird
    +2
    Even several of the prominent Liberal talk show host and news media outlets are now questioning the squirrely employment numbers and OBO himself........ apparently, the time has come to start coming clean... THEY Media cant even hide the fixed numbers either..
  • Annette firebird 2012/10/05 20:33:02
    Annette
    The Wall Street Journal has just come out saying to "take the figures with a grain of salt." Even the financial people know this is skewed.
  • OPOA912 2012/10/05 20:06:04
    OPOA912
    +2
    FIGURES DON'T LIE AND LIARS DON'T FIGURE
  • Annette OPOA912 2012/10/05 20:11:25
    Annette
    +2
    Gee - Go figure!
  • kcoat 2012/10/05 19:40:02
  • Rebel Yell 2012/10/05 19:39:54
    Rebel Yell
    All this year, the unemployment rate had been vacillating in a narrow range between 8.3 percent and 8.1 percent, where it stood in August. But the rate fell to 7.8 percent in September, after a household survey showed more people say they are working. Several factors are at play but the housing market is finally stabilizing. Also every fall the jobs numbers pick up when teachers, bus drivers, school uniform makers, cafeteria vendors, etc all report back. And some companies are rehiring .

The Bureau of Labor Statistics has a reputation for honest work. The monthly jobs report is put together by dozens of career professionals who tabulate and analyze data. Mainstream economists say that with so many people involved, manipulating data is extremely implausible. The BLS report is supported by an independent measure, which found similar results. Gallup, the polling company, calculated that September's unemployment rate, without seasonal adjustments, fell to 7.9 percent, which was "the lowest [level] Gallup has recorded since it began collecting employment data in January 2010."
  • Annette Rebel Yell 2012/10/05 19:53:19
    Annette
    +2
    You keep believing that! A fool is made every second I hear - even ABC, CNBC, AND MSNBC are questioning this "convenient" numbers drop. Nobody condemns who puts work into the numbers, but how it gets recorded via the administration and presented is another factor entirely. Or maybe you missed the 342,000 that suddenly dropped out of sight. Still, you're entitled to your opinion. Guess you didn't read the whole thing.
  • Hawk Annette 2012/10/06 16:00:44
    Hawk
    +1
    Good post but some people can`t understand what they read,or they do only selective reading.
  • gimini210 Rebel Yell 2012/10/05 20:57:18
    gimini210
    +2
    Gallop also reported a .2% drop in payroll checks in Sept from Aug. numbers. So how does it figure that .2% more people are not receiving a pay check into a drop in unemployment? Awwwwww could it be the cut to the unemployment extensions? Do you think that it might be that unemployed people can no longer draw from the extensions? Gee what a novel idea.
  • Annette gimini210 2012/10/05 21:00:08
    Annette
    +1
    Yes, so novel that the pressure placed on the office was probably to the effect of, "Just ignore those figures; they don't count anyway." LOL
  • snipe Rebel Yell 2012/10/06 00:18:09
    snipe
    +1
    How about supplying a link to your copy and paste. I'd like to read the entire thing.
  • snipe Rebel Yell 2012/10/06 00:26:35
    snipe
    +2
    Never mind I found it. You really should provide a link when you copy someones work.
  • Max 2012/10/05 19:10:01
    Max
    +2
    Miracles do happen, but this miracle is too coincidental. I think it's an obvious play on the numbers to try and give the president a boost.
  • jerry 2012/10/05 18:52:35
    jerry
    +4
    cooking the books a month before the election may cook Obama's goose

cooking the books cooking the books cooking the books obama cooking the books unemployment
  • BigEyedFish 2012/10/05 18:27:54 (edited)
    BigEyedFish
    +4
    It's neat to see the wave of the media flow away from Obama!
    The next job numbers come out the day before the election!
    31 days, 10 hours, 34 minutes, 42 seconds till November 6th! Yea, I'm counting the seconds! And then we can say bye bye to Photobucket
  • Annette BigEyed... 2012/10/05 18:32:14
    Annette
    +2
    God willing, a huge number of Americans will be rejoicing on that day; and rejoicing even more once we are past the 3 mo. period to the swearing in. That 3 mo wait could be very dangerous for America.
  • BigEyed... Annette 2012/10/05 18:41:55
    BigEyedFish
    +4
    ! I KNOW ! How many Executive Privileges is he going to use? It's very scary!
  • Sgt Major B 2012/10/05 18:26:06
    Sgt Major B
    +4
    "Fuzzy math"? More like left-wing BS to prop up the Communist Party USA's candidate in the upcoming election. How many folks dropped off because they'd drawn the maximum allowable unemployment benefits?
  • Annette Sgt Maj... 2012/10/05 18:32:57
    Annette
    +1
    Except that this is ABC - CNBC and MSNBC questioning the numbers!
  • Lanikai 2012/10/05 18:22:41
    +1
    Awesome.

The DEMS are cooking the books for obie and that was just made real clear.
  • Gravitas 2012/10/05 18:21:12
    Gravitas
    +3
    I just heard that they also included farm labor in their totals this month where normally the official number represents non-farm labor only.

So, if little Susie decided to sell rutabagas on the corner to help out Mom & Dad pay the bills last month, she entered the workforce and was counted as employed.
  • Leesa 2012/10/05 18:18:32
    Leesa
    +4
    This an Obama Band aid for such a sucky debate.
    band aid on butt
    MQ-American Values Again (AVA)
    +8

_____

cooking the books
    ____
    cooking the books
  • RJ~PWCM~JLA 2012/10/05 18:12:23
    RJ~PWCM~JLA
    +7
    Very interesting.

So it's not "conservatives" questioning this jobs report. It's CNBC saying 0bama's math doesn't add up!

Don't they know they're employed by the 0bama campaign?
  • Annette RJ~PWCM... 2012/10/05 18:17:04
    Annette
    +6
    It is not JUST CNBC, but ABC and MSNBC as well. Even they can't hold back the tide!
  • Lanikai Annette 2012/10/05 18:23:41
    +1
    But will they FINALLY go after this fraud??????
  • Annette Lanikai 2012/10/05 18:30:28
    Annette
    +1
    Lan, I still believe we don't know what is holding back a large number of people in DC from acting as they normally would. I sincerely think there is something far more wrong on the Hill than any of us realizes or understands, and it is not pretty - in fact, I would call it frightening. Our leaders with the exception of a very few, have suddenly become mute! The outspoken ones to date are West, Rubio, Bachmann, Paul (both), and that is about it!! When they say something's rotten in Denmark, it is far more rotten in DC these days.

2014/10/20 21:27:53