From the "you got to be kidding department" : 9 month olds show racial bias when looking at faces

Farnsworth 2012/05/04 15:22:18
White people are born evil
WT*
Studies are like a**holes, everyone has one
sea, eyes toldz you da white man iz duh devil
More liberal bull crap and black magic

Adults have more difficulty recognizing faces that belong to people of another race, and this deficit appears to start early.

New research indicates that by the time they are 9 months old, babies are better able to recognize faces and emotional expressions of people who belong to the group they interact with most, than they are those of people who belong to another race.

Babies don't start out this way; younger infants appear equally able to tell people apart, regardless of race.

"These results suggest that biases in face recognition and perception begin in preverbal infants, well before concepts about race are formed. It is important for us to understand the nature of these biases in order to reduce or eliminate [the biases]," said study researcher Lisa Scott, a psychologist at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst, in a statement. [3-Year-Olds Fancy Own Ethnic Group]

In the study, 48 Caucasian infants were given the task of differentiating between faces of their own race and faces that belonged to another, unfamiliar, race. In another experiment, sensors placed on the babies' heads detected brain activity when the babies saw images of faces of Caucasian or African-American races expressing emotions that either matched or did not match sounds they heard, such as laughing and crying.

While 5-month-olds were equally able to distinguish faces from different races, 9-month-olds fared better with their own race. Likewise, brain-activity measurements showed the 9-month-olds processed emotional expressions among Caucasian faces differently than those of African-American faces, while the 5-month-olds did not.

Specifically, a shift was seen between 5 months and 9 months of age, whereby processing of facial emotions moved from the front of the brain to regions in the back of the brain in the older age group, the researchers found. This brain shift will help scientists understand just how the brain develops with regard to their experiences with different races during the first year of life, Scott and colleagues report in a study published in the May issue of the journal Developmental Science.

---------------------------------------------------
Farnsworth take:

Right off, here's one of the problems "University of Massachusetts". We all know Massachusetts is a liberal cesspool, so what can one expect.

2nd it seems to me whites turn racist at 9 months old, but we are still OK at 5. Interesting. So then is racism genetic? If so, don't we excuse behavior based on genetics?

3rd and most disturbing statement: It is important for us to understand the nature of these biases in order to reduce or eliminate [the biases],"
I'll let that stand without comment, speaks for itself.

I wonder if they even considered that maybe at 9 months old, their little brains have come on line more and they notice, hey, I look different than some of the others around me. My mom and dad, look like me. Maybe instinct directs them to people who look like themselves.

Now what I would really like to know is how children of bi-racial origin react to adults of different races....that might be an interesting comparison.

Anyway, thought this was disturbingly interesting. Comments welcome, theories welcome, outrage welcome....just whatever floats your boat on a Friday

Oh for those who migh whine about this being in poltics and news, well 90% of everything is poltics and news. So please don't clutter my post with that.....

Read More: http://news.yahoo.com/9-month-olds-show-racial-bia...

• Bearish~PWCM~ 2012/05/08 23:21:29
    WT*
    Bearish~PWCM~
    +3
    How much stimulus money was spent on this study.. How stupid

dumb
  • Farnsworth Bearish... 2012/05/09 01:24:39
    Farnsworth
    +2
    no telling
  • GeminiWolf 2012/05/08 22:51:20
    WT*
    GeminiWolf
    +3
    "Maybe instinct directs them to people who look like themselves."

Bingo.

While I don't agree the political name calling and finger pointing in the comments here, I do agree with the above point.

Also, at 5 we are not always "ok." By age 5, (and perhaps even 9 months, eh?) kids start recognizing the parents reactions to people of other races. I went to a party once where the kids were all inside watching TV while the parents partied outside. I went inside to go to the bathroom or something irrelevant, and saw the kids (aged 3-6) watching the Bill Cosby show. One little girl, probably around 5 or so, pointed at the TV going, "ew ew black people ew."

I was shocked and appalled, but I couldn't bring myself to say anything to the girl because, well, she's not my kid and it's really not my business.

Racism can start young, but I still think this study is off course...
  • SK-pro impeachment 2012/05/08 22:36:56
    WT*
    SK-pro impeachment
    +5

Psychology is load of hooey anyways, i hope these aren't taxpayer funded studies; sadly, most are of course.
  • ReconMarine~PWCM*AVA*BTTB*JLA* 2012/05/08 22:26:58
  • Linkums 2012/05/06 01:59:00
    Linkums
    +3
    I'm not terribly surprised. But natural racial bias is natural and even helpful, or else we probably wouldn't have it. It only becomes bad if you let it.
  • Katherine the Renaissance W... 2012/05/05 15:22:40
    Katherine the Renaissance Woman
    +1
    Oh yes, because EVERY radical/extremely outrageous finding (scientific or otherwise) has to be the doing of Liberals. Because Conservatives are immaculate and could never do anything wrong.

Get out of my face.
  • sick'n'tired PWCM 2012/05/04 23:34:14
    White people are born evil
    sick'n'tired PWCM
    +5
    I am white. Therefore I am evil. Ask the media and Obama supporters. We (whites) have contributed nothing to society. EVER!!! I am gagging over the trash being spewed by this media.
  • Farnsworth sick'n'... 2012/05/04 23:49:40
    Farnsworth
    +3
    well said my friend, well said
  • ReconMa... sick'n'... 2012/05/08 22:31:21
  • LadyBGood ReconMa... 2012/05/08 23:17:50
    LadyBGood
    +3
    This is the "take NO responsibility for your own actions" crowd.
  • ReconMa... LadyBGood 2012/05/08 23:22:11
  • ur XLNC-PWCM 2012/05/04 22:53:11
    ur XLNC-PWCM
    +3
    More mindreading adults justifying their own biases by 'reading' into the face of a blank slate what they want see. They probably use babytalk, too.
  • Tomus Megalomania 2012/05/04 22:32:51
    More liberal bull crap and black magic
    Tomus Megalomania
    +1
    This is actually evidence in favor of sociobiological explanations of racism. It suggests that racial bias and recognition are genetically determined psychological mechanisms. Infants this young have not been taught about race, so we look elsewhere for the origin of racial bias.

The most parsimonious explanation for racial bias is that it's a result of "in group" and "out group" recognition, which was vital to early man. According to the theory, those members who were more adept at distinguishing between their ethnicity/tribe and others were more likely to succeed in reproduction, as they were able to limit resource allocation to members of their tribe or "in group." Thus, when they kept more resources, they were able to reproduce more and pass on the genetic trait of racial bias, which is seen in facial recognition.
  • Angela 2012/05/04 22:25:52
    Angela
    +3
    This is no way proves racial bias in 9 month old children. I'd bet the Odrama administration invested a cool million in yet another useless study, to pay off one of his colleages. Pure bs..How's about they do a study in something that would actually aid a fractured humanity, no that would clearly be outside the scope of this demented mindset..
  • charles_1 2012/05/04 22:19:22
    More liberal bull crap and black magic
    charles_1
    +3
    All this proves is that babies learn some of their skills regarding facial expression recognition between 5 and 9 months old.
  • Ron in Oregon 2012/05/04 19:50:41
    More liberal bull crap and black magic
    Ron in Oregon
    +5
    Just a waste of time. Did Tarzan have a problem with apes.
  • Farnsworth Ron in ... 2012/05/04 19:59:26
    Farnsworth
    +6
    Don't think so, then Al Sharpton moved into the neighborhood.
  • whitewulf--the unruly mobster 2012/05/04 19:15:31
  • Farnsworth whitewu... 2012/05/04 19:59:56
    Farnsworth
    +5
    never leave the hood without it
  • L K 2012/05/04 18:47:31 (edited)
    L K
    +5
    I don't agree.....babies learn from what they see, hear, and touch, and what is familiar to them in their environment. They are not prejudice, just used to certain people. My grandchildren are half Filipino and they don't have any problem distinguishing my side of the family with my daughter-in-law's side of the family. But, I do recall years ago, when my kids were little and I was in a dressing room changing... an adorable little african American baby kept crawling under the dressing room to visit me. I had fun talking to her and my son was a toddler at the time so they played. But, what was interesting was that this little child kept touching my legs over and over again and then looking up at my face in puzzlement. My guess at the time was that she had never see such white legs before and therefore had to touch this new found phenomena. Obviously she understood what legs were, but mine were very different from her mother's. By the way she kept looking at me I knew she understood that I was a lady, a mommy, if you will, but that I was different from anything she had seen before. It was a natural curiosity, not a racist moment. A similar thing happened with my youngest child (who was a wonderful surprise 16 years after my oldest son was born). I had an in house baby s...
    I don't agree.....babies learn from what they see, hear, and touch, and what is familiar to them in their environment. They are not prejudice, just used to certain people. My grandchildren are half Filipino and they don't have any problem distinguishing my side of the family with my daughter-in-law's side of the family. But, I do recall years ago, when my kids were little and I was in a dressing room changing... an adorable little african American baby kept crawling under the dressing room to visit me. I had fun talking to her and my son was a toddler at the time so they played. But, what was interesting was that this little child kept touching my legs over and over again and then looking up at my face in puzzlement. My guess at the time was that she had never see such white legs before and therefore had to touch this new found phenomena. Obviously she understood what legs were, but mine were very different from her mother's. By the way she kept looking at me I knew she understood that I was a lady, a mommy, if you will, but that I was different from anything she had seen before. It was a natural curiosity, not a racist moment. A similar thing happened with my youngest child (who was a wonderful surprise 16 years after my oldest son was born). I had an in house baby sitter come to me during the day while I left to teach school, and she used to watch the Oprah show every day while she baby sat. I never thought much about it, but when I ran into a lovely African American teacher I worked with and showed her my baby boy, he kept saying, "Oprah, Oprah!". I was mortified because I never would say anything racist in my home and I realized that because he saw that show every day with my sitter, he identified Oprah with this black woman because she had a similar look in stature and color to Oprah. He identified a stranger with someone he "knew" from TV. Children learn to recognize shapes, sounds, people, from what they are exposed to. What they see frequently becomes cognition to
    them. Not prejudice. It is association, nothing more.
  • Farnsworth L K 2012/05/04 20:02:56
    Farnsworth
    +2
    Yes, hence
    "their little brains have come on line more and they notice, hey, I look different than some of the others around me. My mom and dad, look like me. Maybe instinct directs them to people who look like themselves."
  • L K Farnsworth 2012/05/04 20:35:10 (edited)
    L K
    +2
    Yeah....it just makes them more comfortable....like if they were raised with kittens, they wouldn't be afraid of cats. I always liked that Sesame street used different colored muppets so they get used to people looking differently.
  • Just me ♥ L K 2012/05/06 00:15:56
    Just me ♥
    +2
    Bingo!
  • ReconMa... L K 2012/05/08 22:21:43
  • LadyBGood ReconMa... 2012/05/08 23:26:00
    LadyBGood
    +2
    It is only racist if that's what a person wants to read in to it!
  • ReconMa... LadyBGood 2012/05/08 23:29:07
  • LadyBGood ReconMa... 2012/05/09 00:46:38
    LadyBGood
    +2
    Seems there is one behind every blog!
  • ReconMa... LadyBGood 2012/05/09 00:47:39
  • L K ReconMa... 2012/05/09 12:23:13
    L K
    +1
    Thanks
  • ReconMa... L K 2012/05/09 20:21:02
  • Xerxes,Phantom of PHAET 2012/05/04 18:12:12
  • Farnsworth Xerxes,... 2012/05/04 20:04:37
    Farnsworth
    +2
    the conclusion they draw is BS, yes
  • mustangluver 2012/05/04 17:56:13
  • Farnsworth mustang... 2012/05/04 20:03:56
    Farnsworth
    +2
    TLB TYPICAL LIBERAL BEHAIVOR
  • ReconMa... mustang... 2012/05/08 22:38:34
  • LadyBGood ReconMa... 2012/05/08 23:29:04
    LadyBGood
    +2
    I've, unfortunately, have run in to several of them! They still say... you hate him cuz he's black. BORING!!!

yawning
  • ReconMa... LadyBGood 2012/05/08 23:33:12 (edited)
  • LadyBGood ReconMa... 2012/05/09 00:47:07
    LadyBGood
    +2
    It is ALL they have!
  • ReconMa... LadyBGood 2012/05/09 00:49:13

2014/07/22 21:33:57