Former President George H.W. Bush caught not saluting flag: Is he unpatriotic?

Stella 2008/02/28 19:32:21
Yes. If Barack is unpatriotic for doing so, I have to say the same for Bush Sr.
No, of course Obama and Bush Sr. love this country. Patriotism has nothing to do with the position of one's hands.
I'm undecided, because...
Much has been made about a photo of Democratic Presidential candidate Barack Obama with his hands to his side during The National Anthem. The conservative blogosphere claims this proves Obama is not patriotic enough to be President of the United States of America.

Here is a photo of former U.S. President George H.W. Bush commemorating the 10th anniversary of the liberation of Kuwait on Feb. 26, 2001 with his hands behind his back during the anthem. Standing to Bush's left is U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell and retired General Norman Schwarzkopf to his right, both with their hand covering their hearts.

• Stella 2008/03/04 23:54:32
    No, of course Obama and Bush Sr. love this country. Patriotism has nothing to...
    Stella
    +9
    I created this question to point out how silly it was for Barack to be accused of not loving this country. If you searched enough, you'll probably find a photo catching every President not holding his heart for a moment, or doing something similar. Some people are too wrapped up in who is wearing the right pin rather than who will be an effective leader.

• kgarner2 2012/09/09 14:32:54
    kgarner2
    Of coarse they are both unpatriotic. Shame on them, I never liked Bush anyhow, hes not running for president is he? I thought he already served lol
  • rick.kirkpatrick.18 2012/07/20 06:17:35
    rick.kirkpatrick.18
    It is utterly ridiculous to assume anything about either of these men's patriotism based upon a momentary lapse of forgetfulness. It does not make either of them unpatriotic in the least. To assume so only shows the gullibility of most Americans. What I find truly appalling is that 35% actually think it does make them unpatriotic. For the 35% who did vote this way please stop what you're doing and stick your head back in the sand where it obviously belongs.
  • OhioGirl ~ Peace ~ 2008/12/16 09:40:11
    OhioGirl ~ Peace ~
    Not at all!
  • 519378 2008/11/25 18:55:40
    519378
    +1
    And McCain refused to wear an American Flag lapel pin during the third debate - Another anti-American!
  • Truthfinder 2008/11/14 03:25:05
    Truthfinder
    It's interesting to think about what patriotism really is. I think they are both patriots- not placing your hand on your heart one time for the National Anthem is not an indication of patriotism. However, standing on the olympic medal stage and refusing to salute the flag is unpatriotic. Like many people, I love my country but am sad about the moral decline and how far we are from what our founding fathers knew this country needed to be in order to continue as a free nation. The Roman Empire first fell from within.
  • mdhubble Truthfi... 2010/02/11 18:58:08
    mdhubble
    +2
    Obama didnt even salute "his" fallen soldiers during the FT Hood memorial ceremony.
  • USNRet58 mdhubble 2010/04/13 21:35:16
    USNRet58
    +1
    If you go to www.urbanlegends.com you will find out that that is false. the picture shown is from Memorial day 2009 and is from Arlington National Cemetary. the reason President Obama wasn't saluting as everyone else is because they were introducing him. It's been proven over and over that President Obama salutes when it is required.
  • thomasita 2008/11/13 21:37:01
    thomasita
    Bush Sr.wasn't unpatriotic, nor was Obama. patriotism has nothing to do with the pin u wear, hands over your heart, or saluting.Patriotism is the feeling, respect, service you do for the benefit of your country and most of all being a good citizen.
  • Comrade Sean 2008/11/12 19:43:00
    Comrade Sean
    Word, he's a racist, muslim, palling around with terrorists, flag-burning, nazi, marxist, socialist liberal! We can spot our own, and that's a sign brothers!
  • 519378 Comrade... 2008/11/25 18:59:31
    519378
    +1
    No, Just because Bush kisses Muslim men does not make Bush a Muslim.
    ANd Bush loves Hispanics - who else will be his maids and do his yardwork?
    I agree that Bush hangs out with Terrorists and loves the Far-Right Republican former Nazis.
    But why do you call Bush a socialist liberal?
    Is it because he oversaw the biggest socialization of American businesses by bailout of the banks? Because he oversaw the biggest increase in the size of American government?
  • Comrade... 519378 2008/11/25 19:17:22
    Comrade Sean
    Actually, I just threw a bunch of shit against the wall and it stuck! lol
  • aka 2008/11/12 01:39:14 (edited)
    aka
    But great photo -- hopefully it will silence some of the wing nuts. I can't stop laughing -- great poll.
  • BabyboomerRN 2008/11/11 21:19:32 (edited)
    BabyboomerRN
    He is standing at attention. Obama is caught gawlking around looking up at the ceiling like a 3 yr old. Not to mention wrapping him self up in it. BIG difference
  • Comrade... Babyboo... 2008/11/12 19:44:50
    Comrade Sean
    Excuses, excuses... we all know. It's very different when Bush Sr fails to put his hand on his heart. He obviously had a very good reason, whereas Obama was willfuly disrespecting the flag.
  • jacqi 2008/10/21 17:41:30 (edited)
    jacqi
    +1
    Lead by example, I have no qualms in saying this about either man. It is in the U.S. Code to do so and failing to do so is a deraliction of duty. I the position of President, you need to lead by example, you break the laws written for you and the military then don't expect any less from them.

Ooops, hit the wrong button, I don't claim it is the "patriotic" as much as I feel it is respectful and appropriate, as well as the rule for that position.
  • wewhodream 2008/08/20 01:41:00
    wewhodream
    Nice to see someone else has this photo. I've been using it as my profile pic to show on my comments to related questions.
  • Dandy 2008/06/20 18:38:37
    Dandy
    I don't hold it against Obama, so I guess I can't hold it against Bush either.
  • concerned 2008/05/10 15:26:25
    concerned
    +1
    obama love this country and bush loves it money
  • momrules316 2008/05/10 15:24:44
    momrules316
    +1
    Great Post!!!!!!!!!!!!! It points out the absurdity of some of the arguments that people have against Obama!!!!!!!!!! I love the pic(lower) with Bush not holding his heart!!!!!!!! Now if we could get people to quit saying he is a Muslim, I will be even happier!!!!!!!
  • lumberman 2008/04/19 06:41:26 (edited)
    lumberman
    No, of course he is not unpatriotic, he a Republican....
    But I see he is also missing his Lapel Pin!!

Oh NO Mr. McCain

Oh, and another President missing the pin ....he must be unpatriotic as well!

And Rudy..I thought you loved America!

And it goes on and on.......
  • lumberman lumberman 2008/04/19 07:08:30
    lumberman
    I left out one.
  • GK lumberman 2008/11/14 19:01:07
    GK
    LOL.
  • granny1944 2008/04/05 19:02:55 (edited)
    granny1944
    it's ok for whites, but not for blacks
  • kudabux 2008/03/25 02:04:03 (edited)
  • Gramma Lil 2008/03/10 21:24:43
    Gramma Lil
    Good point and good poll!
  • marekgothgather 2008/03/08 08:34:45
    marekgothgather
    +2
    though he could use senility as an excuse
  • Chartre... marekgo... 2008/04/09 22:11:50 (edited)
    Chartreuse Dog ~COB
    +2
    But what's W's excuse? I have always heard, the way to a man's heart is through his stomach!

• LiveFreeOrDie 2008/03/07 18:56:01
    LiveFreeOrDie
    +1
    Enough with this silliness! We should be more concerned with the
    fact that our nation's current course is straight towards economic and
    social disaster!
  • Truthfi... LiveFre... 2008/11/14 03:52:18
    Truthfinder
    You're so right! And though I am very conservative I will respect my new president, give him the benefit of the doubt, pray for him, and continue doing all I can to make a difference. We are in for some tough times.
  • Magoo 2008/03/06 22:33:41
    Magoo
    You're right. It is silly. I couldn't agree more.
  • Sarah Films the Clouds 2008/03/05 23:16:54
    I'm undecided, because...
    Sarah Films the Clouds
    Yah, IDK....George H.W. bush said that atheists were unpatriotic just b/c of their beliefs...that's bullshit...but...i don't think he should necessarily be called unpatriotic just b/c he didn't put his hand up to his heart...
    good question tho :)
  • DeacMeister 2008/03/05 21:33:32
    DeacMeister
    Thank you for a poll on this subject based on common sense, instead of the mindless ranting I have seen in other polls, by people with a hostile agenda. It seems as if they are in perpetual attack mode. Your poll is refreshing.
  • Zeke 2008/03/05 16:47:17
    I'm undecided, because...
    Zeke
    +3
    Like father-like-son, he probably isn't sure which side his heart is on. ZEKE
  • thunderbean 2008/03/05 12:55:26
    thunderbean
    +1
    good poll Stella. Very well done.
  • S.A. Ward ~ Proud Liberal!! 2008/03/05 03:41:18
  • Truthfi... S.A. Wa... 2008/11/14 03:41:26
    Truthfinder
    If a person doesn't believe in God I wonder where we get our rights? our equality?
    "We hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are created equal...endowed by their creator with certain inalienable rights.
  • Truthfi... S.A. Wa... 2008/11/14 03:45:12
    Truthfinder
    Sometime let's chat about what the 'separation of church and state" really meant.
  • S.A. Wa... Truthfi... 2008/11/14 03:46:21
  • Ali ~ In My Heart I Trust ~ 2008/03/05 00:43:24
    Ali ~ In My Heart I Trust ~
    +1
    Although, not being in someone's head or heart, who knows what walks there?
  • mentonemommyisgoingtofacebook 2008/03/05 00:30:34
    mentonemommyisgoingtofacebook
    +2
    I'm not one to nit-pik over things like that. I don't always put my hand over my heart.

2014/07/23 21:42:10