Former Navy Seal Sniper Chris Kyle Murdered at Shooting Range by Veteran With PTSD: Is Mental Illness or Guns a Bigger Problem?

Fef 2013/02/04 20:00:00
America's most lethal sniper, former Chief Petty Officer Chris Kyle, got murdered while trying to help a former Marine with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Kyle had taken former USMC Corporal Eddie Ray Routh to a shooting range in Texas as part of Routh's therapy.

Trevor Cox, the director of Fitco Cares, a foundation Kyle helped establish for veterans with post-traumatic stress disorder, said in a statement, "My heart is breaking. Our foundation, Fitco Cares, this country and most importantly, his wife Taya and their children, lost a dedicated father and husband, a lifelong patriot and an American hero.... Chris died doing what he filled his heart with passion – serving soldiers struggling with the fight to overcome PTSD." Rest in Peace Chris Kyle.

GUARDIAN.CO.UK reports:
US military's most prolific sniper wrote bestselling memoir on his four tours in Iraq and was known for helping veterans with PTSD.
prolific sniper wrote bestselling memoir tours iraq helping veterans ptsd

Read More: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/feb/03/sniper...

• Ben 2013/02/19 03:13:26
    Mental Illness
    Ben
    But both together can be the biggest problem of all...
    Mental Illness
    Thanks to the self serving ACLU we can't do anything about the mentally ill.
  • texgem 2013/02/15 01:42:26
    Mental Illness
    texgem
    The last 5 major shootings have involved those with mental issues. And before you start - they got their firearms illegally.
  • ♥N A♥ 2013/02/14 21:27:45
    Mental Illness
    ♥N A♥
    But when you combine the two? Pure danger.
  • thezone 2013/02/10 01:37:14
    Mental Illness
    thezone
    Saying guns are responsible for killing people is just as retarded as saying keyboards are responsible for typos.

RIP Chris Kyle

• Pinky 2013/02/09 02:44:01
    Mental Illness
    Pinky
    What a terrible waste.
  • Stanley Pennington 2013/02/08 21:20:16
    Mental Illness
    Stanley Pennington
    I have yet to read, hear or see any gun kill anyone by itself.....it always requires a human shooting it....whether intentionally or accidentally. It should seem self-evident that Mental Illness is the problem. Evil Does Not Exist in Guns
  • daniel.putnam.108 2013/02/08 00:35:09
    Mental Illness
    daniel.putnam.108
    CHRIS KYLE. REST IN PEACE. MAY YOURE ENEMIES ROT IN HELL WITH A BUNCH OF DISEASED OLD WHORES INSTEAD OF THE VIRGINS THEY WERE PROMISED!
  • DuncanONeil 2013/02/06 20:30:11
    Mental Illness
    DuncanONeil
    In this case the likely culprit is PTSD!
  • Sheila 2013/02/06 19:24:42
    Mental Illness
    Sheila
    +1
    RIP Cris Kyle. You will be missed.
  • lynn 2013/02/06 18:19:14
    Mental Illness
    lynn
    +1
    Obviously, mental illness, as well as other factors such as a lack of discipline in the schools and at home, the disintegration of the nuclear family, epidemic use of prescription psychotic drugs, a subculture of violence and crime (now being allowed its' place in mainstream music and entertainment), and the steady erosion of common sense parameters of right and wrong, are the true culprits. Prior to the Gun Control Act of 1968, firearms were by far more prevalent and accessible throughout our society. Yet, there were no regular shooting rampages (or bombings or cars being driven into crowds) as there are now. It certainly doesn't take a rocket scientist to see this fact. Guns have nothing to do with any of it, other than they are often the tool of choice. Take them away, and those who would commit such violent acts will fall back on home made bombs, poison gas (also fairly simple to create), knives, clubs, etc. The government and the elite of our nation don't want to admit that their politcally correct nonsense is at the root of all these troubles, nor do they like the idea of "we the people" being armed. Now they're using these tragedies their own inane policies have brought on to try to chip away at the Second Amendment and undermine the right of the people to protec...
    Obviously, mental illness, as well as other factors such as a lack of discipline in the schools and at home, the disintegration of the nuclear family, epidemic use of prescription psychotic drugs, a subculture of violence and crime (now being allowed its' place in mainstream music and entertainment), and the steady erosion of common sense parameters of right and wrong, are the true culprits. Prior to the Gun Control Act of 1968, firearms were by far more prevalent and accessible throughout our society. Yet, there were no regular shooting rampages (or bombings or cars being driven into crowds) as there are now. It certainly doesn't take a rocket scientist to see this fact. Guns have nothing to do with any of it, other than they are often the tool of choice. Take them away, and those who would commit such violent acts will fall back on home made bombs, poison gas (also fairly simple to create), knives, clubs, etc. The government and the elite of our nation don't want to admit that their politcally correct nonsense is at the root of all these troubles, nor do they like the idea of "we the people" being armed. Now they're using these tragedies their own inane policies have brought on to try to chip away at the Second Amendment and undermine the right of the people to protect themeslves and their interests. (Killing two birds with one stone so to speak, and the US Constitution, together with our ability to stand up against the tyrants who would eliminate that Constitution, are the birds.)
  • Bibliophilic 2013/02/06 18:11:44 (edited)
    Mental Illness
    Bibliophilic
    +1
    Neither. People who intend to do harm to other people are not necessarily mentally ill!

Most mentally ill people are harmless. Guns are never harmless. Keep guns out of reach of children, registered and away from felons. Banning guns would be counterproductive and people who want guns will always find a way to get them. I'd actually like to see more instructional courses encouraged and offered for people who own guns.

Violent and sane people do commit horrendous crimes and I find it ridiculous that all heinous acts are being blamed on "mental illness". Many mentally ill people are more likely to harm themselves than others. People who have proven themselves to be criminals, violent and unstable should find it difficult to obtain any weapon.
  • whipnet 2013/02/06 18:02:59
    Mental Illness
    whipnet
    +2
    To think there are people who believe that inanimate objects can act on their own. *snicker*
  • The Andoxico 2013/02/06 17:55:09
    Mental Illness
    The Andoxico
    +1
    Hitler didn't kill a single person using a gun himself, but yet he's responsible for millions of deaths
  • BUCCANEER BTO- t -BCRA-F 2013/02/06 17:09:18
  • bubbaDAkang 2013/02/06 15:42:28
    Mental Illness
    bubbaDAkang
    +3
    While I am pro gun I have to say both but I lean more towards the mental illness...I don't think that anyone/the powers that be will own it though...it cost too much to actually help people...declaring them competent and locking them up is so much cheaper and easier
  • obama needs to go 2013/02/06 14:42:18 (edited)
    Mental Illness
    obama needs to go
    +3
    Chris Kyle was an American hero, both on duty and as a person. And Ron Paul is a moron politician who said a dirt bag thing and if that's what he really thinks, then he should smack his mother for raising him that way!

Iv been around guns my whole life and to this day haven't seen one fire it self, walk out the door, none of that. How long can Americans blame a object for the generation that this liberal media, godless country that we have made. These are media driven events in which some nut job is abled to make a name for himself. If the media wasn't so gunhoe on gun grabbing then maybe they'd aggree that plastering these mental patiants faces and name ever where was a bad idea and things like this would stop.
  • yabbada... obama n... 2013/02/20 06:32:45 (edited)
    yabbadabbadoo
    YOURE the moron and Chris Kyle is NO hero but he is a crazy psychotic murderous scumbag who went killing people in another country that did absolutely nothing to us

Chris Kyle is as much of a hero as Hitler was.....not at all !
  • Flamingolady 2013/02/06 13:05:11
    Mental Illness
    Flamingolady
    +4
    Blaming guns for violence is like blaming cars for car wrecks.
  • AG Flaming... 2013/02/06 18:43:59
    AG
    +1
    Or blaming spoons and forks for obesity?
  • Flaming... AG 2013/02/12 13:42:53
    Flamingolady
    Yep, same logic
  • White Horses 2013/02/06 06:57:23
  • XZQZQ White H... 2013/02/06 07:58:43 (edited)
    XZQZQ
    +3
    Without our guns, we not only potentially become slaves, we, as aging baby-boomers, become likely victims of the young, strong, and vicious. Just look at the UK, as a cautionary tale of where we are heading as a nation. They outlawed guns, for the most part, and now their violent crime rate is reportedly almost four times that of the USA. What is delusional is the excessively hopeful belief that a disarmed population will be somehow happier, safer, and content.
  • AG White H... 2013/02/06 18:48:33 (edited)
    AG
    +1
    Have you ever heard of Nazi Germany or Soviet Russia? It appears you are the one that is delusional. And if you think something like that could never happen here, then you are both ignorant AND delusional. Disarming the public was always one of the first steps in taking control.
  • White H... AG 2013/02/06 19:26:21
  • Sheila White H... 2013/02/06 19:37:31
    Sheila
    +1
    And YOU sound like an unmitigated ass! But hey, carry on and we will continue to laugh!!
  • White H... Sheila 2013/02/06 19:53:04
  • AG Sheila 2013/02/06 20:05:46
    AG
    +1
    LOL, this little punk is pathetic. He rants about how he'd rather die than try and protect himself. Then he blocks me because he knows he can't respond intelligently to anything I say. I'm supposed to inform myself with a movie like Tremors? REALLY? Hahahaha! People like him are why AMERICA IS STILL THE BEST!
  • Sheila AG 2013/02/06 20:14:17
    Sheila
    +1
    Too funny! He blocked me too! What a worm right?
  • Sheila Sheila 2013/02/06 20:13:33
    Sheila
    +1
    And he blocks me....lmao..... Pitiable little punk!! Hope he reads this--Call us what you will but when YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS HELP WHO DO THEY CALL?? If it wasnt for us you would have grown up speaking German you little piss ant!!
  • Grammar... AG 2013/02/06 20:54:39
    Grammar Freak
    When was Germany "disarmed"?
    ...or the Soviet Union, for that matter?
    You'd better learn your history better.
  • Sheila Grammar... 2013/02/06 22:06:03
    Sheila

Sound familiar? Its allllll about the kids isnt it?

• Grammar... Sheila 2013/02/07 09:22:11
    Grammar Freak
    Get your facts in order. I don't know who the hell that lady is, but I live over here & know a hell of a lot of old geezers who say absolutely the opposite & all the history books say the opposite. It seems to me that you've been propagandized & have become a sheeple... unable to research & find out for yourself, but instead follow whatever the leader of you chosen flock says.

http://www.natvan.com/nationa...

Gun registration and licensing (for long guns as well as for handguns) were legislated by an anti-National Socialist government in Germany in 1928, five years before the National Socialists gained power. Hitler became Chancellor on January 30, 1933. Five years later his government got around to rewriting the gun law enacted a decade earlier by his predecessors, substantially amel ior a ting it in the process (for example, long guns were exempted from the requirement for a purchase permit; the legal age for gun ownership was lowered from 20 to 18 years; the period of validity of a permit to carry weapons was extended from one to three years; and provisions restricting the amount of ammunition or the number of firearms an individual could own were dropped). Hitler's government may be criticized for leaving certain restrictions and licensing requirements in the law, but the Nati...

http://www.natvan.com/nationa...

Gun registration and licensing (for long guns as well as for handguns) were legislated by an anti-National Socialist government in Germany in 1928, five years before the National Socialists gained power. Hitler became Chancellor on January 30, 1933. Five years later his government got around to rewriting the gun law enacted a decade earlier by his predecessors, substantially amel ior a ting it in the process (for example, long guns were exempted from the requirement for a purchase permit; the legal age for gun ownership was lowered from 20 to 18 years; the period of validity of a permit to carry weapons was extended from one to three years; and provisions restricting the amount of ammunition or the number of firearms an individual could own were dropped). Hitler's government may be criticized for leaving certain restrictions and licensing requirements in the law, but the National Socialists had no intention of preventing law-abiding Germans from keeping or bearing arms. Again, the firearms law enacted by Hitler's government enhanced the rights of Germans to keep and bear arms; no new restrictions were added, and many pre-existing restrictions were relaxed or eliminated.

At the end of the Second World War, American GIs in the occupying force were astounded to discover how many German civilians owned private firearms. Tens of thousands of pistols looted from German homes by GIs were brought back to the United States after the war. In 1945 General Eisenhower ordered all privately owned firearms in the American occupation zone of Germany confiscated, and Germans were required to hand in their shotguns and rifles as well as any handguns which had not already been stolen. In the Soviet occupation zone German civilians were summarily shot if they were found in possession of even a single cartridge.

Jews, it should be noted, were not Germans, even if they had been born in Germany. The National Socialists defined citizenship in ethnic terms, and under Hitler Jews were not accorded full rights of citizenship. National Socialist legislation progressively excluded Jews from key professions: teaching, the media, the practice of law, etc. The aim was not only to free German life from an oppressive and degenerative Jewish influence, but to persuade Jews to emigrate. The German Weapons Law of March 18, 1938, specifically excluded Jews from manufacturing or dealing in firearms or munitions, but it did not exclude them from owning or bearing personal firearms. The exclusion of Jews from the firearms business rankled them as much as any other exclusion, and in their typically ethnocentric fashion they have misrepresented the law involved as an anti-gun law in an effort to cast their enemies in a bad light.

It should be noted in passing that the restrictions placed on Jews by the National Socialists had the intended effect: between 1933 and 1939 two-thirds of the Jews residing in Germany emigrated, reducing the Jewish population of the country from 600,000 when Hitler became Chancellor in 1933 to 200,000 at the outbreak of the Second World War in 1939. Jews in the United States, looking at this period from their own narrowly focused viewpoint, have described these peacetime years of the National Socialist government as a time of darkness, terror, and regression, whereas for the German people it was a time of hope, joy, and spiritual and material renewal.

http://www.natvan.com/nationa...
  • Sheila Grammar... 2013/02/07 15:22:19
    Sheila
    And he took guns from the group he eventually atttempted to DESTROY.
    I grew up in Berlin.
    With a Dad in military intelligence specializing in Russia.

Non party members? I would be considered non party member to the current admin and if you are a lib YOU will be non party member to the next admin....
  • Grammar... Sheila 2013/02/07 16:49:25
    Grammar Freak
    I'm not. I am no "party" member of anything.
    I would say I identify myself best as a Conservative Libertarian. But I am not registered under any "party" affiliation because I find our "parties" 100% corrupt & intent on destroying our society... which, it seems, they're doing a real bang-up job at these days.

But it seems to me that all our nation needs is two Republican presidents & we'll find out nation full of our very own "brown shirt" -types who believe that anyone who doesn't go along with whatever their talking heads tell them should be arrested on sight. It seems to me that is the direction these groups are going who are trying so desperately to "normalize" loads of people walking around carrying firearms in public.
    We're either going BACKWARD to the days of the old wild west or we're going into a future full of treacherous narrow-mindedness.

I am no advocate of banning anything... bans don't work & the aren't actual "bans" anyway. But this yelling at each other & threatening each other & calling each other names sure is remeniscent of the five or so years before WWII started. I don't want that for my nation. We've got to learn to treat each other with respect regardless our differences because we're all Americans, we all love our nation, we simply think differently abou...

&&

I am no advocate of banning anything... bans don't work & the aren't actual "bans" anyway. But this yelling at each other & threatening each other & calling each other names sure is remeniscent of the five or so years before WWII started. I don't want that for my nation. We've got to learn to treat each other with respect regardless our differences because we're all Americans, we all love our nation, we simply think differently about what is/might be best for it. We are not each other's enemies.

I don't care what your father did or where you grew up. Saying that Hitler disarmed Germany is a lie... out & out & 100% false. You ought to know that wenn du ehrlich bist. Either you're lying or you are unable to comprehend English or Deutsch history.
  • Sheila Grammar... 2013/02/08 14:23:52 (edited)
    Sheila
    Cool. I hope you hve a nice day. Or maybe not. Maybe I am lying. Or would THAT be the very disrepect you mention...lol...

In one breath--We've got to learn to treat each other with respect regardless our differences because
    Then in the next---I don't care what your father did or where you grew up-Either you're lying or you are unable to comprehend English or Deutsch history.
    Respect just dripping there right?? Kinda like the sarcasm is here.
  • Grammar... Sheila 2013/02/08 21:16:14
  • Sheila Grammar... 2013/02/12 15:15:21
    Sheila
    I grew up military hun so I certainly didnt say anything out of line there, his attitude showed him to be a piss ant. But all in all you are right. I dont care what you think either so I didnt bother to read the vast majority of your post. Nice typing though. Good day.
  • Grammar... Sheila 2013/02/07 09:28:05 (edited)
    Grammar Freak
    Regarding Stalin:
    If you listened carefully, the laws being discussed in your little video were toward non-Party members & Ukrainians. So, I guess if we ever anex Canada or Mexico & they don't give up their guns, we'll be able to compare ourselves to the Soviets. Until then, I'd say we're not anywhere near that.
    Of course, with corporate farming, more of a comparison is there than might be otherwise thought.
    So... if you really wish to draw parallels between the US & the Soviet Union under Stalin, then look to the Republican movement. The way they demonize & are deathly fearful of anyone who disagrees with them, the way the "party" encourages hate & fear of dissenters. You might find yourself in shock at where similarities actually lie.

Remember:
    If you tell a lie over & over enough times, it eventually becomes the truth in the minds of The People.

You are believing lies told to you by those with an agenda.
  • DuncanO... White H... 2013/02/06 20:45:14
    DuncanONeil
    +1
    So tell me, Night Shadows, Am I to presume, that you would be perfectly all right with the increase in the other violent crimes? I. E. robbery, assault, rape. You eliminate guns and these crimes will increase.

I'm sure you will not believe that, but you can compare the state of Pennsylvania (12.7 million people) with the state of Illinois (12.8 million people). Illinois has some of the strictest gun laws in the nation and does not permit CCW. In all categories of violent crime Illinois exceeds the same category in Pennsylvania. All violent crime in Pennsylvania totals 45,240, Illinois 55,247. Is that enough to prove the case for you, or do you need a broken down by category.

2014/09/01 07:44:05