For Christians: What do you wish anti-theists knew?
- 2008/11/09 07:18:38
- Read all 42 opinions
So, without further ado, here are ten things I wish anti-theists would know before they attempt to brighten their days by attempting to verbally assassinate me and my fellow Christians:
1. Please don't waste your time trying to convince us the universe was created from nothing by nothing for no reason at all. Congratulations for thinking life is meaningless. We're not buying it.
2. You may think you have eventually evolved from a one-celled organism that spontaneously sprang into life from non-life over a timespan of hundreds of millions of years (and if this were true, it seems some of you are more evolved than others), but we know we were created from a wholly unique design by a loving Creator in His image for a specific purpose with something no other beings possess: souls.
3. The Bible is literally the Word of God and the leading authority in our lives, so please don't pretend to be surprised or offended when we quote it to support our worldview.
4. Your morality may be based on whatever you personally deem good versus whatever you personally deem bad-- something that varies from person to person and from day to day at the whim of personal taste-- but we follow a strict code of right and wrong handed down from an Authority in whom there is no evil.
5. While we're on the subject of morality, you may believe sex with any person or persons of any or both genders at any age at any time for any reason is acceptable, but we don't and never will.
6. We're never going to agree with you on the moral acceptability of abortion, so please don't bother trying to convince us it's acceptable to "terminate" (feel free to substitute any other pleasant-sounding euphamism for murder) a blastocyst, zygote, embryo, fetus, or any other term for an unborn baby that's utilized specifically so a would-be mother and her friendly neighborhood abortionist can end said baby's life without feeling a single pang of guilt. None of us would be here if we hadn't first been blastocysts, zygotes, embryos, and fetuses, so we choose not to pretend these time periods aren't stages of human existence just as significant as infancy, toddlerhood, adolescence, and adulthood.
7. We are not perfect. We make mistakes. We screw up. We sin. This does not make us hypocrites, something with which we are constantly charged. If we *were* perfect and did *not* make mistakes and did *not* screw up and did *not* sin, we wouldn't be Christians.... We would have no need for Christ and His sacrificial death and amazing resurrection, the crowning achievement of His sinless life, if we ourselves could attain salvation due to our own unblemished goodness. Jesus Himself said, "I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners"-- and we are those sinners. Going along with this admission of imperfection, we do not think we're better than you because we're Christians. To the contrary, we are the ones who see ourselves as we truly are-- utterly flawed, hapless beings in need of saving. We have no right to claim to be better than you because we are not the ones who found the truth... The Truth found us.
8. We're going to pray for you whether you like it or not. Praying is what we do. But know that when we pray, we do so not in a sanctimonious, holier-than-thou "God, I officiously pray for this unbelieving heathen who, unlike me, the wonderful and awesome worthy one, is going to burn in Hell and I'll laugh hysterically as he does" way. We pray in a "God, I'm so thankful You saved me from eternal separation from Your love and from an eternity of torment. Even though this person I'm praying for hates You and everyone who loves You, I hope he or she someday comes to know You and is spared the eternal suffering I wouldn't even wish on my worst enemy" way.
9. Bring out all the slanted statistics you want, but intelligence has nothing to do with whether or not someone believes in God. To put it simply, you are not smarter than us because you don't believe in Him. You are not being "cutting-edge" and "hip" and "cool" by rebelling against religion. We see your proud strutting and "bold" posturing, and it's no different than the preening and self-adoration that has been going on for thousands of years before you were born. You're just one tiny person in a long line of people who have thumbed their noses in the face of God throughout history. If we're sheep for following Christ, you're similarly sheep for following in the footsteps of the God-mockers before you. Looks like no one on either side of this debate can claim points for originality.
And perhaps most importantly,
10. We've heard the taunts "You base your lives on fairy tales," "You rely on an imaginary man in the sky," "You follow the words of a book written thousands of years ago by crazy men," the particularly tasteful "You worship a dead Jewish zombie," and a host of other barbs. These cheap shots are extremely worn out and yawn-worthy, and childish name-calling and blatant attempts to be shocking and offensive are what people resort to when they've very obviously run out of logic, reason, and sanity.
My fellow Christians, is there anything else you would like to add to this list?
- Saying goodbye
- The U.S. Department of Injustice
- Obama in Cairo: Diplomacy of Wishful Thinking
- Pro-Choicer's column: Dr. Tiller's Murder- Tragic, not Senseless
- Ann Coulter and Tillman's murder
- View more slideshows »
Government shutdown or not, there's a new $100 bill in town -- and apparently, people love it!
If Congress doesn't agree on how the U.S. will pay its bills by October 1st, the federal government will shut down. But how concerned is the average American? Not very.
Ever since President Obama's re-election back in November, the media hasn't stopped reporting about the ruffled course of the Republican party. So who's the future face of the GOP? Find out how the public voted.
New Jersey Governor Chris Christie has been at the center of media coverage for a while now. But more recently, the buzz has been about his proclaimed political party -- and whether or not he should change it.