For all the racists out there, how do you justify your racism?

Ruby Slippers awaits voluntary deactivation 2009/07/26 01:57:54
I can justify my racism because...
I am not a racist because...
undecided
I've seen so many racist statements on this site. It made me wonder how people justify their racism. I'm really curious. I'd like to try to understand the thought processes behind it.

• Lotus Flower 2009/08/01 15:02:14 (edited)
    I am not a racist because...
    Lotus Flower
    +2
    Racism is much deeper than not liking someone because of their skin color. That is just a very generic definition. Racism includes skin color and beratting another race to make them feel inferior. Skin color is just one of the justifications for racism, there is a spectrum of variable included in racism.
  • noopinion 2009/07/29 03:06:09
    I am not a racist because...
    noopinion
    +5
    There is absolutely no way to justify racism!
  • Ruby Sl... noopinion 2009/07/29 03:10:44
    Ruby Slippers awaits voluntary deactivation
    +2
    I agree.
  • carlton999 2009/07/28 06:23:27
    I am not a racist because...
    carlton999
    +4
    One day when i was in elementary school myself and 3 friends were walking home. 2 of us black and the other 2 white. 2 of us got into a fight....one black one white.

A hippy was walking by and saw 2 of us fighting and he separated the 2.

after he pulled them apart he said one thing that i will never forget.

he said that we shouldn't fight because "We are all Brothers under the skin"

he didn't know that the 2 were not fighting because of race, they were just mad at each other. but i will never forget what he said

WE ARE ALL BROTHERS UNDER THE SKIN.

when we remove our skin we all look the same. if you haven't seen the second "Planet of the Apes" where the people take off their skin to reveal their true selves you should.
  • Ruby Sl... carlton999 2009/07/28 08:46:16
    +2
    Since I grew up in the sixties, I remember segregation and I'm really an old hippie at heart, its still a part of me so the hippie was right. If only people could see things that way.
  • dianne615 carlton999 2009/08/26 02:34:20
    dianne615
    +1
    Wow, I'll try to watch it. But you know isn't it ironic when a person needs an orgin transplant, no one ask what race is the orgin...
  • carlton999 dianne615 2009/08/28 00:23:36
    carlton999
    some people need to know where the organ is coming from......sad but true.
  • Ruby Sl... carlton999 2009/08/28 00:42:56
    +1
    As a kidney patient, who might need a transplant one day, I sure would not question it, but look at it as an incredible gift of extended life. But, obviously some people on this site are too stupid for wordsl
  • dianne615 carlton999 2009/08/28 00:47:15
    dianne615
    I don't believe there many people that would turn down an orgin that will save their life. Through a close friend of mine I know how desperate people needing kidneys are believe me I can't see none of the people I see in the hospital turn one down because of race, I don't think they would ask.
  • carlton999 dianne615 2009/08/28 05:57:28
    carlton999
    +2
    ive heard stories of white soldiers in the Korean war who were injured and dieing refused blood and organs from black soldiers and would rather die than get help.
  • dianne615 carlton999 2009/08/28 08:20:01
    dianne615
    +1
    WOW, now that’s sticking to ones conviction, well I’m not surprise Dr. Drew resigned from the army (1941) because they wanted him to segregate white blood.
  • theroamingcrow 2009/07/28 03:44:36
    I am not a racist because...
    theroamingcrow
    +4
    I will stand up and defend or fight for anyone at anytime who is being treated unfairly whether their skin is white or black or brown... I actually had a young lad come up to me once and ask me if I hated him because of his skin color, while choking back tears I told this youngster the story from the bible when jesus walks up to the samaritan woman and asks for a drink, and then explained to this lad that Jesus chose not to be racist and I am choosing to follow in his footsteps. so no I dont hate you for having brown skin I am jealous of your skin color / I glow in the dark lol this child seemed to be calmer after this story and I felt wonderful being able to share a small tidbit of the bible with him,,,
  • Ruby Sl... theroam... 2009/07/28 03:46:15
    +4
    Thanks. Jesus Christ didn't judge people by their race, you are right. Jesus loves everyone.
  • BlueMax372 Ruby Sl... 2009/08/24 22:08:49
    BlueMax372
    +3
    But He wasn't, by any stretch of anyone's imagination, a "progressive." LOL!
  • dianne615 theroam... 2009/08/26 02:36:25
    dianne615
    +1
    I will remember that a long time, felt good hearing the story and I have to admit put a smile on my face.

God bless..
  • Moose 2009/07/28 02:16:39
    I am not a racist because...
    Moose
    +2
    I didn't know racists needed to be justified lol
  • Ruby Sl... Moose 2009/07/28 02:25:03
    +3
    I just wondered how they would justify it to themselves you know, what they base their ideas and assumptions on. I really do wonder why it is that one race should actually consider itself "better" than another. I believe all men were created equal like Thomas Jefferson said. Just because people were brought here and made to be subservient to others centuries ago, why should people keep looking down on them? I don't know. I was actually trying to understand how they think.
  • Moose Ruby Sl... 2009/07/28 02:33:10
    Moose
    +1
    It's really not complicated thinking, it's as simple as "they're different therefore they must be bad".
  • Ruby Sl... Moose 2009/07/28 02:46:46
    +3
    Well, I know its about not being able to accept differences, whether its racial or just appearances in general. Ugly people, fat people, deformed people, anyone that is different looking in general will be treaed differently. There is some standard of acceptance and you either fit into someone's idea of acceptabllity or you don't.
  • Raindropkitten™~the author ... 2009/07/28 02:16:14
    undecided
    Raindropkitten™~the author of þhαετ~
    +6
    I'm not hateful toward any race, and I have lots of friends from different races. I'm native american and I grew up to a group of kids calling me a "red skin" but the term never bothered me. If they wanted to be the ignorant assholes, that was there problem not mine. After all, words are just words in the end.

The people who are the ones though that can't take a joke, or the ones that think of other skin colors as sinful, or whatever kind of crap they want to come up with, make me sick. People are people, no matter what their skin color. I base people on their personality and what kind of person they are, not on the color of their skin.
  • Ruby Sl... Raindro... 2009/07/28 02:22:03
    +3
    Thanks for your response!
  • Raindro... Ruby Sl... 2009/07/28 02:22:27
    Raindropkitten™~the author of þhαετ~
    +2
    you're welcome
  • TeeTee Metal(is a real girl) 2009/07/28 02:10:28
    I am not a racist because...
    TeeTee Metal(is a real girl)
    +6
    I am not racist because I refuse to have preconceived notions of someone whom I have never met, solely based on their skin color. That just doesn't make any sense to me. I truly don't undestand racism...this is a really good question though!
  • Ruby Sl... TeeTee ... 2009/07/28 02:21:08
    +3
    Thanks!
  • dianne615 TeeTee ... 2009/08/26 02:39:04
    dianne615
    +2
    You are not alone...
  • Jenny 2009/07/27 22:36:03
    undecided
    Jenny
    +8
    I don't feel that I am. Some may think I am because of what I say. I give my perspective based on my own experiences. I have seen some racists react to black people so I may be biased because of that. But I try to see both sides of every issue. As a college grad, I question everything even myself. I have friends of many ethnic and racial backgrounds. I am glad to have relationships with these people and it's making me a better person for it. I don't obsess about people's views I think about what I can do for others. The people who hate others based on race, this is their problem not mine. Life is too short for hate.
  • Ruby Sl... Jenny 2009/07/27 22:44:12
    +3
    Great answer. Thanks!
  • Jenny Ruby Sl... 2009/07/27 23:10:23
    Jenny
    +5
    Thanks. Cool.
  • MOM - L... Jenny 2009/07/27 22:54:31
    MOM - LOL@Silly.St.Sarah.of.Wasilly
    +4
    I agree with Ruby, great answer!
    MOM
  • Jenny MOM - L... 2009/07/27 23:10:42
    Jenny
    +5
    Thanks Mom!
  • aherbert 2009/07/27 16:42:35
    I am not a racist because...
    aherbert
    +6
    I appreciate the difference in everyone no matter their race … racism is a cancer that needs to be exterminated….
  • Johnny ... aherbert 2009/07/28 03:51:47
    Johnny "Nihasa" Robinson
    +1
    My mom recently beat cancer, so maybe we'll have some luck. lol
  • aherbert Johnny ... 2009/07/28 16:00:08
    aherbert
    +2
    I am glad your mom beat cancer ... God is good. Racism should be easier to beat if that is what you want.
  • Johnny ... aherbert 2009/07/28 17:37:33
    Johnny "Nihasa" Robinson
    +1
    It is.
  • aherbert Johnny ... 2009/07/28 20:08:07
  • Johnny ... aherbert 2009/07/28 21:39:38
  • aherbert Johnny ... 2009/07/28 21:41:07
    aherbert
    +3
    No Johnny ..... johnny
  • Johnny ... aherbert 2009/07/28 21:43:46
    Johnny "Nihasa" Robinson
    +1
    I got you a t-shirt. t-shirt
  • Jay 2009/07/26 20:41:26 (edited)
    undecided
    Jay
    +5
    I have always fought for the underdog. I've always been able to put myself in someone else's shoes, mentally. I've always had compassion for people, that have less then I do, whether that be less money, or intellect, or good health, or whatever. I have never really envied people that have more then I do, but have always been happy for them. I have always worked to fight discrimination, because of race, color, or creed, and I am totally against it. I've also always thought, that I was the furthest thing from a racist, that anyone could be. Having said all of that, I've also always tried to be honest with myself and others, and I have to admit, that If I was walking down the street at night alone, and on one corner there were six black men, and on the other corner there were six white men, I'd gravitate to the corner where the white men were. I know that either group could be a problem, or no problem. Either group could be just six really nice guys, or either group could be six guys looking for trouble. I know that intellectually, but still, I have to admit, that I'd head towards the corner with the six white men, or maybe turn around and go another way all together. Does that make me a racist?
    Probably, on some level, and that pains me. I'm only saying this, because I think that all o...'
    Probably, on some level, and that pains me. I'm only saying this, because I think that all of us, rather black, white or brown, that assume we aren't racists, should really look into our hearts and souls, to see, if while we know that God created us all equal, and we know everyone should be treated failrly, maybe, just maybe, we are still fighting some lingering racism..
  • Ruby Sl... Jay 2009/07/26 21:02:54
    +4
    Thanks Jay for your honest and thoughtful response. We are, I think, almost brought up to be afraid of differences. Somehow we have to overcome that. As a child, I had black friends once segregation was ended and never thought about it. children's attitudes are purer than adults. I remember though being ten and my mother forcing me to invite over a badly deformed child from our church. I was terrified of her because of her appearance, but I am sure the poor child had suffered so much rejection in her life already. i didn't think about that then. I tried my best to be nice to her. I remember I gave her a glass of soda and then I'd never drink out of that glass again! So that fear of difference was ingrained already in that instance.

2014/04/18 00:32:58