FLORIDA First to Reach 1 Million Concealed-Gun Permits. An American with a concealed gun permit is safer than those who do not have the permit?

CAPISCE 2012/12/14 14:44:55
True
False
other
Florida will be the first state to have issued 1 million permits allowing people to carry concealed firearms, said Adam Putnam, Florida’s commissioner of agriculture and consumer affairs.
Florida had issued 993,200 active permits as of Nov. 30, according to state data. Of those, 875,600 were for state residents, accounting for 4.6 percent of its 19.1 million population. The state will pass the 1 million mark next week, Putnam said at a news conference today in Tallahassee.

“Floridians have a great respect and appreciation for their Second Amendment rights,” Putnam said.
en

Florida was among the first states in 1987 to require approval of
concealed-carry licenses for any applicant who meets certain criteria, instead
of giving local police discretion over those decisions. Today, 38 states have
“shall issue” laws similar to Florida’s, according to the National Rifle
Association, a firearms-rights group based in Fairfax, Virginia.

Florida, the fourth-most-populous state, had 887,000 active permits as of
Dec. 31, 2011, according to the U.S. Government Accountability Office.
Pennsylvania had the second-most with 786,000.

In Florida, permits are issued to anyone who, among other things, is at least
21 years old and has never been convicted of a felony crime.

The number of concealed permits in Florida has nearly doubled since 2008.
Putnam said he didn’t know what accounted for the increase in permits.

dment rights,” Putnam said...

• Rob Clary 2012/12/14 14:55:46
    True
    Rob Clary
    +8
    Don't come to Florida to start a business mugging folks.
    Take it to fertile ground: New York City or some other mud-hole where the vulnerable herd.

• Mytstar ~PWCM~JLA 2012/12/15 02:11:22
    other
    Mytstar ~PWCM~JLA
    +3
    maybe legally safer... I conceal carry regardless of the law or permit... I will cross that bridge if i come to it...coming from Arizona... you can open carry ... and no longer need a concealed permit to carry concealed
  • Lerro DeHazel 2012/12/15 00:30:58
    True
    Lerro DeHazel
    +2
    In Florida, back in the 70s, the thugs would box-in the drivers on the street and then approach them and rob them; all because the victim's cars could not move. They especially made visiting tourists, targets. They stopped doing that when Florida passed the Gun-Laws . . . When asked some prisoners if they would still do that practice of "boxing in" when they got out of jail; they all conceded that they would never do that again. The reason being; they felt that it was not safe to rob people like that. They might get shot. The reason that people in the media don't want to discuss THAT TRUTH is because they are all Liberals and they suck.
  • RobHom 2012/12/15 00:07:40
    True
    RobHom
    +2
    I think I might just have to go and get mine....that way I will be "legal"....

The fact that so many people in this state have CCW's has contributed to a signigicant drop in crime...
  • Roger47 2012/12/14 21:08:19
    False
    Roger47
    Worst Large Cities for Crime (>500,000 pop.)

Although Arizona has two of the most crime-ridden cities in the nation, their violent crime rates are relatively low.

1. Tucson, AZ
    Tucson has one of the highest property crime rates in the country, especially larceny. On the bright side, Tucson has a low murder rate.
    2. Memphis, TN-AR-MS *
    Residents of Memphis contend with the nation's second-highest violent crime rate. In addition, the rate of robbery and burglary are among the nation's highest.
    3. Miami, FL
    Miami's violent crime rate is the highest in the nation, with especially high incidences of robbery and assault. Thankfully, the murder rate is relatively low.
    http://www.bestplaces.net/doc...
  • CAPISCE Roger47 2012/12/15 02:24:55
    CAPISCE
    +1
    Miami has a serious Gang problem---trust me nobody should even drive through Liberty City or Overtown without a gun
  • Commander Pyle 2012/12/14 21:05:13
    False
    Commander Pyle
    +3
    To hell with gun permits. It shouldn't be a requirement.
    True
    +4
    Want to be a successful criminal go where citizens don't have easy access to concealed carry permits like Chicago, NYC, Massachusetts, California, Washington DC.
  • Borat O... none 2012/12/14 20:47:17
    Borat Obama
    +2
    In those states you mentioned. Only criminals are allowed to have guns. Politicians can then pretend by saying the public is not safe. We need to increase your taxes so we can hire more cops to protect your homes.
  • none Borat O... 2012/12/14 20:52:07
    +3
    If someone armed was in my home I'd rather have my weapon in my hand than a cell phone. When seconds count the police are minutes away. We don't need to increase our taxes what the country needs is lots of new jobs so there are more tax payers, that's the way to really fix things.
  • frank 2012/12/14 19:11:28
    True
    frank
    +2
    They are in the long run
  • Mamaknows 2012/12/14 19:09:15
    True
    Mamaknows
    LOL it's about money here where we are. They make a LOT of exrtra money from CCW permit yearly fee's and classes.
  • Mamaknows Mamaknows 2012/12/15 08:20:59
  • Prime Time Lime 2012/12/14 18:38:25
    other
    Prime Time Lime
    I think it is a bad idea that Florida passed laws allowing one to carry a concealed weapons.Considering most people have no idea how to use a gun responsibly,not pulling it out for the wrong reasons.That is scary just to think of it,for it is not the old west anymore.
  • Command... Prime T... 2012/12/14 21:07:35
    Commander Pyle
    +1
    There's usually some form of training requirement in order to gain that permit.
  • RobHom Prime T... 2012/12/15 00:10:33
    RobHom
    +1
    If you are not a Veteran...who possesses a DD214 attesting to the fact that you have actual and certified weapons training.... YOU MUST attend a gun safety course and pass it. You pay for the course and then pay for the permit.....

You might want to investigate factual information prior to posting questionable information.
  • Osama McDonalds 2012/12/14 18:36:47
    False
    Osama McDonalds
    I'm guessing that with all those CCW holders, Florida must be the safest state in the union...right?
  • CAPISCE Osama M... 2012/12/14 19:52:40
    CAPISCE
    +1
    Sure safer than Chicago who has the toughest gun laws in the country
  • Osama M... CAPISCE 2012/12/14 20:47:18 (edited)
    Osama McDonalds
    +1
    Chicago is a city, not a state and gun control in a small area is not effective if you can just drive an hour or so in any direction and buy a firearm.
  • CAPISCE Osama M... 2012/12/15 02:28:32
    CAPISCE
    Really?---I thought Chicago was a state. lol
    The only criminals who don't have guns are the ones who can't afford them.
  • Osama M... CAPISCE 2012/12/15 05:47:37
    Osama McDonalds
    Not all criminals are dumb and there are quite a few that know that carrying a gun can extend their sentence if they get caught doing whatever crime they happen to be engaged in. They also know the concept of getting the drop on their target (if it is a person) because they are very much aware that people could have weapons of there own. There is a saying 'Prison is filled with dumb criminals'
  • Osama M... CAPISCE 2012/12/14 21:10:16
    Osama McDonalds
    "States with stricter gun control laws have fewer deaths from gun-related violence."

"Last year (2011), economist Richard Florida dove deep into the correlations between gun deaths and other kinds of social indicators. Some of what he found was, perhaps, unexpected: Higher populations, more stress, more immigrants, and more mental illness were not correlated with more deaths from gun violence. But one thing he found was, perhaps, perfectly predictable: States with tighter gun control laws appear to have fewer gun-related deaths."
  • RobHom Osama M... 2012/12/15 00:23:59
    RobHom
    +2
    BS.....sounds like someone was playing "pocket-pool"....

In 2010....Chicago...with very restrictive gun laws had 435 murders, while Miami...the cesspool of FL only had 224.....and Washington DC had 131.....considering how small it is....with its restrictive gun laws...
  • Osama M... RobHom 2012/12/15 01:40:23 (edited)
    Osama McDonalds
    Sounds like someone didn't bother to look up the study done by Richard Florida and debate his findings.

Regardless...

As far as your Chicago / DC vs Miami example...lets look shall we?

This is using that stats you put up:

Chicago has 2.7 million people....if there were 435 murders that would be 1 for every 6,206 people

Washington DC has 670,000 people...if there were 131 murders, that is 1 for every 5114 people

Miami, FL has 408,000 people...if there were 224 murders, that would be 1 OUT OF 1821 PEOPLE THAT ARE MURDERED.

...your own stats just worked against you there buddy boy and it sounds more like you might be playing pocket pool with yourself.
  • RobHom Osama M... 2012/12/15 02:09:42
    RobHom
    +1
    Nope...just using raw figures from an FBI site. But I also think what they fail to mention is that "Metro Dade"....which is Miami and its surrounding areas is included.

But what you fail to understand... or recognize is that DC has more murders per capita than Chicago.... I might should have used Orlando as a city as opposed to Miami....considering that Miami is a 3rd world country now... Orlando murders 2008....of 123...

The stats do not work against me...they work in my favor.... Nice try though.
  • Osama M... RobHom 2012/12/15 02:19:11 (edited)
    Osama McDonalds
    Here we go again:

The city of Orlando has a population of 238,000.
    If there were 123 murder in there then do the math:
    1 murder for every 1934 people
    That is just slightly better than Miami and far far worse than Chicago and DC.

Try again.
  • RobHom Osama M... 2012/12/15 02:23:59 (edited)
    RobHom
    Metro dude....metro.... repeat after me... METRO....that means all of Orange County and the surrounding area.... Orlando has a very large metro area....

http://www.orlandosentinel.co...

Nice try to you....
  • Osama M... RobHom 2012/12/15 05:52:14
    Osama McDonalds
    " I might should have used Orlando as a city..."

Its not my fault you didn't specify METRO when you quoted Orlando's murder stats...you said 'Orlando as a city'...so I just went off of what you said.
  • RobHom Osama M... 2012/12/15 14:47:10
    RobHom
    OK....
  • Osama M... RobHom 2012/12/15 05:59:12
    Osama McDonalds
    "I might should have used Orlando as a city as opposed to Miami"

You were pretty specific about Orlando as a city and not METRO in your post. Also, you originally said you were using FBI stats and yet you are referencing a newspaper article. Not that your stats were wrong but you kinda keep changing your facts Miami vs METRO Dade, Orlando vs METRO Orlando. FBI stats vs Orlando Sentinel stats.

And when you are talking about murder...are you talking about murder in general or murder from gunshot?
  • Osama M... RobHom 2012/12/15 06:03:03
    Osama McDonalds
    +1

Thanks for responding, I don't know if we got anywhere. I sure hope CCW lowers crime in Florida but I doubt it will.
  • RobHom Osama M... 2012/12/15 15:02:13
    RobHom
    My pleasure. Actually the issuance of CCW's her in FL has led to a drop in the rate of many crimes....as well as the imposition of mandatory sentences for using a fire arm in the commission of a crime.

http://www.kc3.com/CCDW_Stats... Some interesting reading.
  • CAPISCE RobHom 2012/12/15 02:31:49
    CAPISCE
    +1
    Thank you
  • CAPISCE Osama M... 2012/12/15 02:30:55
    CAPISCE
    +1
    We disagree, no big deal. If you believe what you posted don't buy a gun--just don't suggest I can't have one because nobody will ever convince me my family is safer unarmed.
  • Osama M... CAPISCE 2012/12/15 06:09:58
    Osama McDonalds
    Of course I wont try to change your mind. My opinions come from examples in my own life. My grandfather and his family, my father and his family and myself have never owned a gun and we have all lived in L.A. and had to deal with crime in our lifetimes but none of us have ever owned more than a pellet gun and none of us have ever been shot or shot anyone and we've always protected our families without them. There is more to home/family protection than owning a gun, far more. Dogs, alarm systems, martial arts (my brother in law owns a karate dojo) good neighbors that watch out for each other, baseball bats, knives and choosing not to live in a high crime neighborhood have probably done far more in protecting my family than a gun could have ever done.

Cheers Mr Capisce and I hope you don't have to use your firearm.
  • CAPISCE Osama M... 2012/12/15 15:03:42
    CAPISCE
    +1
    You believe you and family are safer without a gun so you don't own one, I believe differently and own several. Simple
  • mich52 2012/12/14 18:33:47
  • Pyro-82 2012/12/14 18:17:37
    True
    Pyro-82
    +1
    And good for them, a theif or other foolish criminal is less likely to attack someone who they suspect to be armed or at all dangerous to them if they were to try anything.
  • sbtbill 2012/12/14 18:07:09
    False
    sbtbill
    It is starting to look like every one is less safe because of things like this.
  • Rustie 2012/12/14 17:50:35
    False
    Rustie
    In Arizona they require no permits or licenses of any type.
  • dubbie 2012/12/14 17:41:58
    True
    dubbie
    +3
    People are getting fed up, Period . Take a look what happened in the Houston area , One burglar was shot , One was karate chopped by an old man , One was chased and run off in a ditch , One was held by two people till law enforcement arrived, . Tensions are running pretty high right now. Just a reminder to the thugs out there If you`re planning no good , Chances are your intentions will be confronted. Granny could be carrying , Never know

2014/11/28 05:47:07