Five Pundits Who Confidently Predicted the Obamacare Ruling And Got It Wrong

FeelHood H. Obama~BN28 2012/06/29 00:20:46
Five Pundits Who Confidently Predicted The Obamacare Ruling And Got It Wrong

By Annie-Rose Strasser on Jun 28, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Over the last few weeks, nearly every pundit in the U.S. took a guess at whether the Affordable Care Act would be upheld, overturned, or cobbled back together in some new fashion. Many — if not most — of those guesses were wrong.

But some pundits in particular should be cutting a big slice of humble pie as progressives celebrate Obamacare being held up in full. Here they are:

1. Bill O’Reilly On his show on FOX News, O’Reilly predicted that the law would be struck down: “It’s going to be five-to-four. And, if I’m wrong, I will come on and I will… apologize for being an idiot”

Watch it:

2. CNN Contributor Jeffrey Toobin Toobin came out immediately after the arguments and said, “This was a train wreck for the Obama Administration. This law looks like it’s going to be struck down. I’m telling you, all of the predictions, including mine, that the justices would not have a problem with this law were wrong.” Toobin admitted he was wrong today, but he was right about one thing: “The only conservative Justice who looked like he might uphold the law was Chief Justice Roberts, who asked hard questions of both sides.”

Watch his ‘train wreck’ flub:

3. The Daily Beast’s Michael TomaskyThis is easy. I take the darkest and most cynical possible view of the conservative majority. …That means overturning the mandate 5-4. But it means doing so narrowly, carefully, almost regretfully. In other words, they want more than anything else not to rile up liberals.”

4. National Review’s Ed Whelan “[T]he fact that Justice Scalia read his dissent from the bench in the Arizona immigration case leads me to believe that the Court will invalidate the individual mandate by a 5-4 vote.”

5. Dana Perino, former Bush spokesperson “I do think that it is going to lose and I’ll tell you why. This past weekend, Justice Ginsburg …in public comments said, to expect sharp disagreements when the decision comes out. To me, that means it’s either a 6-3 or a 5-4 decision against Obamacare, and I don’t know if that means that the whole thing will be overturned or they’ll try to split it.”

Watch it:

Watch the latest video at <a href="http://video.insider.foxnews.com">video.insider.foxn...

Read More: http://thinkprogress.org/media/2012/06/28/508649/f...

• Keeping It Real 2012/07/21 08:18:19
    Keeping It Real
    +1
    CNN has just gone down the toilet as a credible news network and many of their pundits was wrong!
  • wildcat 2012/07/12 22:52:48
    wildcat
    One should not try to out guess the Supreme Court.
  • YouSirName 2012/06/30 01:37:14
    YouSirName
    +3
    My favorite response came from Faux News. Not only did they predict the law would be overturned (I think it was basically unanimous among their airhead jabberers), but they also incorrectly reported that the law was ruled unconstitutional. Finally, to top it off they refused to apologize for getting it wrong, but stated "we reported the news as it came in."

This is actually quite revealing. To Faux News, there is no right or wrong; there is no fact or lie. An incorrect opinion is just as much "news" as the fact that it misrepresents. A fascinating glimpse at the "reality" of this Orwellian institution.
  • Avenged7 2012/06/29 16:34:13
    Avenged7
    +3
    I'm glad it passed, and I hope they improve it. Maybe Medicare for all!! the 5 conservatives all agreed that the mandate under the commerce clause was unconstitutional. But what about other federal mandates that have been laws for decades?? Maybe this mandate was unconstitutional under the commerce clause, because it was Obama care, and for that reason just that mandate was unconstitutional!!!

This wouldn't surprise me, for this Supreme Court, and the 5 right wingers have been the most activist, and political in modern times, and maybe in all history. These 5 right wingers don't even try and hide their political rulings. Scalia's rant against Obama is unheard of, of a Justice. The last Supreme Court Justice to do that against Thomas Jefferson was impeached. this congress should do the same, but wont because many of them are the same radical ideologs as Scalia!!!!!!
  • Tom Avenged7 2012/07/10 17:53:01
    Tom
    +2
    It was unconstitutional under the commerce clause, and they stated that it was in their decision. They upheld it as a tax.

The commerce clause gives them the right to regulate interstate commerce... since healthcare insurance is not interstate (well it is now, and that's why the comment from one of the judges was made during arguments - can you create commerce in order to regulate it?) they couldn't uphold it under the commerce clause.

It had nothing to do with the mandate being under Obama (although the uproar from the populace probably was), it was unconstitutional under the commerce clause.
  • Avenged7 Tom 2012/07/11 22:48:38
    Avenged7
    I thought congress made laws under the commerce clause. This Supreme Court seems to think that's their job. This is the most activist court in modern history. So if they are going to strike down the commerce clause, then they need to strike down all mandates passed by congress. Let's see maybe some organization, will bring a suite against the law that all 18 year old males must register for the draft. Let's see these 5 jackasses strike that one down!!!
  • Tom Avenged7 2012/07/19 20:24:13
    Tom
    +1
    They do make laws under the commerce clause. But the commerce clause says they can regulate interstate commerce... not that they can just point to that clause anytime they want to do anything.

Healthcare was not interstate commerce, living in Missouri I couldn't buy health insurance from a company in Michigan. It was not interstate commerce, so the commerce clause doesn't work.

They didn't strike down the commerce clause, they ruled that Obamacare wasn't constitutional under the commerce clause, but it was constitutional as a tax.
  • TrudyGirl 2012/06/29 13:30:59
    TrudyGirl
    +2
    I just wonder how many of the Obama Bashers will come out and say that the supreme court has made it's ruling and we must accept the fact that the health plan is legal and that our President did what is best for this country as a whole? Would you believe nada? they are perfect no chance they could be wrong.
  • skip TrudyGirl 2012/06/29 14:59:50
    skip
    +2
    none but it was fun watching thier head explod
  • Lefty 2012/06/29 10:56:25
    Lefty
    +2
    Chief Justice John Roberts is my hero!
  • Tom Degan 2012/06/29 07:46:23
    Tom Degan
    +2
    I predicted it would get overturned as well. Who would have predicted John Roberts would pull an Earl Warren?

http://www.tomdegan.blogspot.com

Tom Degan

Degan
  • CAROLYN... Tom Degan 2012/06/29 10:40:42 (edited)
    CAROLYN NTARWNJBS
    +3
    I know,threw most of us off our game! What a nice shock to the system. lol
  • BlytheSpirit~bn0 2012/06/29 04:44:13
    BlytheSpirit~bn0
    +2
    Humble pie all around. eating humble pie
  • CAROLYN NTARWNJBS 2012/06/29 04:10:07
    CAROLYN NTARWNJBS
    +2
    And we're loving it! haha
  • flaca BN-0 2012/06/29 01:31:19
    flaca BN-0
    +6
    just goes to show, never believe anything pundits say. They know nothing.
  • Manwé 2012/06/29 01:20:56
  • seattleman 2012/06/29 01:00:56
    seattleman
    +3
    Well, I might just watch "The Factor" tonight. I would like to see Bill apologize.
  • Starman 2012/06/29 00:46:05
  • DFA 2012/06/29 00:45:55
    DFA
    +3
    It seemed like O'Reilly had never read anything about it.
  • kir 2012/06/29 00:45:50
    kir
    Hell, the white house as a whole was preparing for the individual mandate to be struck down. There was so much information leading up to the decision about how the mandate would be struck down and indeed Robert's opinion partially read like the mandate was struck down; yet also in the opinion it was upheld as if it was changed at the last minute.
  • Dagon 2012/06/29 00:35:39
  • flaca BN-0 Dagon 2012/06/29 01:32:53
    flaca BN-0
    +2
    it's not a tax though is it. It's a penalty.
  • Dagon flaca BN-0 2012/06/29 03:35:16
  • Dave 2012/06/29 00:27:46
    Dave
    +5
    Don't these "media superstars" always get things wrong?
  • CAROLYN... Dave 2012/06/29 04:08:15 (edited)
    CAROLYN NTARWNJBS
    +3
    Yes they do,lol!
  • I. Car Rus 2012/06/29 00:26:35
    I. Car Rus
    +2
    I gotta admit I didn't it coming.
  • stevmackey 2012/06/29 00:24:52
    stevmackey
    +1
    Nobody that is sane expected this.
  • MidnightCowboy 2012/06/29 00:24:25
    MidnightCowboy
    +7
    It's best not to make predictions so you do not have to eat crow later.
  • CAROLYN... Midnigh... 2012/06/29 04:09:14
    CAROLYN NTARWNJBS
    +3
    They sure are!
    republicans eating crow
  • skip CAROLYN... 2012/06/29 15:01:06
    skip
    +2
    great dish for the gop
  • The Elitist Libtard SodaJerk 2012/06/29 00:24:03
    The Elitist Libtard SodaJerk
    +11
    Ruth Bader Ginsburg said it best.
    "Those who know aren't talking about it, and those who are talking about it, don't know"

2014/09/21 06:06:45