Female Combatants In The Battlefield....yay or nay

snell/GOD & COUNTRY-zero cliques 2013/01/24 22:18:48
18 votes
32%
22 votes
39%
16 votes
29%

Posted : Wednesday Jan 23, 2013 15:24:14 EST

WASHINGTON
— Defense Secretary Leon Panetta has lifted the military’s ban on women
serving in combat, a move that will allow women into hundreds of
thousands of front-line positions and potentially elite commando units, a
senior Pentagon official said Wednesday.

Women currently serve in
a number of combat positions, including piloting warplanes or serving
on ships in combat areas. Since the start of the wars in Afghanistan and
Iraq, 292,000 women have served in those combat zones out of a total of
almost 2.5 million, Pentagon records show. In both wars, 152 women have
died from combat or noncombat causes, records show, and 958 have been
wounded in action.

Based on your experience, wisdom, knowledge, beliefs do you feel women should serve EQUALLY alongside men?

Question Closed

• SteveMarine- JLA 2013/01/24 22:23:47
    ABSOLUTELY (NOT)...no way, no how
    SteveMarine- JLA
    +17
    Ok... ur behind enemy lines... ur captured.. just you "man" and ur last living fire team memeber...is a woman...the enemy has you moved to a detention area.. the torture begins.. first they start with ur weaker female partner...starting off with rape.. they rape her over and over...they make you watch as she screams in pain and agony... what do you do? Watch them kill her? Or talk? Its a little different with women then it is with a man.. torture can affect people in different ways.. do you really wanna see what they will do with a woman prisoner?

• Mamaknows 2013/01/25 02:23:30
    Mamaknows
    +3
    As long as she meets the SAME standards as her male counterparts.
    It's not about equality it's about our soldiers lives....those standards are there for a reason....because more often then not they have to do those things. If you lower the standards to suit the lowest ability then you are weakening our armed forces.
  • Pedro D... Mamaknows 2013/01/25 05:59:34
    Pedro Doller ~Inc.
    +5
    Maybe the intention is to weaken the armed forces. Not saying women can't do the job, they did in Vietnam (the commies, along with old grannies and little kids), Russia, Israel. The publics mindset will have to change too, when they come back in body bags. Another thing being done is the gay thing. That all might work out in diversity crazed US but I'm not sure it will work so hot in combat.
  • snell/G... Pedro D... 2013/01/25 06:01:10
    snell/GOD & COUNTRY-zero cliques
    +4
    i have to agree my freind.
  • America... Pedro D... 2013/01/25 09:12:24
    American 1st
    +3
    Thank you, Pedro, for a remark that makes sense.

Too bad our politicians have ZERO common sense, both parties. Need to vote them all out as they come up for re-election & replace them with "honorable" people who understand THEY work for us, the Taxpayers. The current crap in Washington think WE work for them. We put them in office, we can put them out.
  • snell/G... Mamaknows 2013/01/25 06:00:15
    snell/GOD & COUNTRY-zero cliques
    +4
    If a woman wants to serve on the front lines, that is her and her commandrs choice. But I say, no special privilege. And if captured, well, life starts and ends . It would make no difference to me. besides, I would not be captured alive if I were conscious. ~ Dagon
  • America... Mamaknows 2013/01/25 09:47:39
    American 1st
    +8
    1. A 130 lb woman cannot carry a 200 lb wounded male soldier off of the battlefield. He could die because of this.

2. Men inherently try to "protect" women. This natural instinct could get them killed in combat.

3. If you think soldiers have Post Traumatic Syndrome now, wait until they witness WOMEN getting their heads blown half off by enemy fire?

4. What about the ones that are like my sister: in pain, cramped up & totally useless for 5 days a month?

No, No and No!
  • Mamaknows America... 2013/01/25 20:49:47
    Mamaknows
    +1
    Good points.
  • snell/G... Mamaknows 2013/01/27 05:14:44
    snell/GOD & COUNTRY-zero cliques
    My opinion is Ok Girls, you asked for it. Now you get to experience death and destruction up close and be some third world ape,s sex toy if captured ~ ronbo
  • ★Calliope★ snell/G... 2013/02/03 01:19:07
    ★Calliope★
    That's some harsh talking.

I know why I joined the military. To get out of NY and a bad home life. That's why I joined.

Why I stayed was ... family.

A more functional family than I had growing up. I would have and did follow my military family to some ugly parts of the world. No. I was not in combat. But it didn't stop a bunch of ugly things from happening. From terrorists to riots and being the object of a few less than lovely episodes from communists in Europe in the early 80's, just for wearing a US uniform.

Menstrual cramps never had a thing to do with me doing my job.

My boot camp company along with our sister company, were the first companies that went through the same 'boot camp' as the boys.

Could I lift what the men did? No.

Could I shoot? Yes.

Could I run? Yes.

I didn't have to do humps - being a sailor and an Airdale to boot... But I could carry any ARC whatever black box necessary and them things weren't light.

I went to bat for the folks that worked for me and expected the same from my superiors.

I don't expect female POW's would suffer any more than any other woman that has been gang raped repeatedly. Or beaten and raped by an insane husband. Women have always been raped and murdered and preyed upon by men. Enemy or friend or family.

I would posi...
    That's some harsh talking.

Why I stayed was ... family.

Could I lift what the men did? No.

Could I shoot? Yes.

Could I run? Yes.

I would posit that the stresses upon men witnessing a female military woman being raped would indeed have some impotence issues and well as PTSD issues. As far as the women and what we've dealt with - it's the same crap we've always (as our sex has) dealt with. In most of the world, today, women are still without rights to determine her own destinies. I may add, esp in the Muslim world.
  • Susana America... 2013/01/25 22:34:37
    Susana
    +1
    Let us not forget those pesky menstrual cramps.
  • kenc.63 2013/01/25 02:22:53
  • zbacku kenc.63 2013/01/25 04:24:36
    zbacku
    +5
    I guess you have forgotten what the Islamic animals do to their captives. They rape their women, just what do you think will happen when an American women gets captured?
  • snell/G... zbacku 2013/01/25 04:27:44 (edited)
    snell/GOD & COUNTRY-zero cliques
    +4
    If you read kenc's profile - its REALLY hard to believe from his answers on other ppls blogs that he is a 63 yr old man. He's only been on SH since Nov of 12 - and already some of the ladies on SH gush over him and his wife and how wonderful he is.....makes you wonder not only about him but about his lady friends to. (??) Aw well nothing much surprises me on SH anymore -
  • zbacku snell/G... 2013/01/25 04:44:29
    zbacku
    +5
    You got that right.
  • Woof 2013/01/25 01:55:29 (edited)
    ABSOLUTELY (NOT)...no way, no how
    Woof
    +7
    I think its fine for them to fill various rolls but not in hand to hand combat.

This isn't a place to play PC politics. Soon we will hear of women suing because they claim they unfairly washed out, claiming they did as well as the men but failed based on her gender and not ability. Our forces are not a platform for social experimentation. It's obvious there's a gender difference and I think its a waste of time and resources when its compared to the numbers of trainees that actually make it.
  • snell/G... Woof 2013/01/25 02:40:33
    snell/GOD & COUNTRY-zero cliques
    +10
    hand to hand would be suicide and the powers that be know that - no woman has the body strength of her male peers nor physical endurance. Any woman that 'thinks' she can out-man a man is only fooling herself.
  • Woof snell/G... 2013/01/25 03:50:56
    Woof
    +6
    Fooling themselves is putting it politely! More like making a total ass out of themselves. I'm sure there are plenty of macho women out there but its delusional to think they are so virile that they can over power a man then add adrenalin. Also, I think men will refuse to be beat by a woman, its just a mental thing. What self respecting guy is going to be beat by a girl . Not.
  • snell/G... Woof 2013/01/25 04:37:31
    snell/GOD & COUNTRY-zero cliques
    +4
    i hear you (and so does everyone else with any sense that reads this).....Thx woof
  • pumpkin... snell/G... 2013/01/25 04:45:10
    pumpkin1960
    +6
    I think there would be very few women that qualify for special forces. Women who have been caught in combat situations, such as ambushes, do fight but I here that men tend to be protective and that affects the integrity, balance, and mission capability and worthiness of the unit.
  • snell/G... pumpkin... 2013/01/25 04:47:40
  • BBLEE 2013/01/25 01:44:32
    ABSOLUTELY (NOT)...no way, no how
    BBLEE
    +13
    if we need another Social Experiment Lets arm School teachers. I know I'm old Fashioned, Yes I hold doors for Ladies, and offer assistance when able to help, But I fail to see how this will make our Military stronger, My Sister is a Retired Navy Master Chief, She was Navy 22 years, and never stationed on a Ship, Yet Surely she Helped the Navy.
  • Leasheryn/Lady Willpower 2013/01/25 01:43:12
    ABSOLUTELY (NOT)...no way, no how
    Leasheryn/Lady Willpower
    +9
    No, I don't agree with it.
  • Jeff Smith 2013/01/25 01:42:29
    Jeff Smith
    +5
    I have no opinion on this at this time. Although I have my doubts, it's a good idea depending on where in the combat zone they will be. Front lining them could be a problem. As SteveMarine pointed out
  • grace 2013/01/25 01:35:54 (edited)
    YES - if she can pull a trigger, why not.
    grace
    +2
    I understand that there are dangers to women in a war zone, but if she chose to serve her country why do you want to keep her from doing what she wants. If she is distracting the other soldiers on purpose of coarse she should be discharged but if it is not her fault then it is the mans weakness not hers.
  • snell/G... grace 2013/01/25 02:42:30 (edited)
    snell/GOD & COUNTRY-zero cliques
    +4
    its quite abit more than just physical appearance or ability to pull a trigger grace that is the concern with women hand to hand,one on one in dire combat front lines. thx for the comment however.
  • grace snell/G... 2013/01/25 23:15:18
    grace
    I am we'll aware that there is more to fighting a war than shooting guns, I'm not stupid, thank you very much. But if a woman is capable of everything that she is required of, and knows the dangers that she is facing, then what problem do you have with her fighting for her country?
  • snell/G... grace 2013/01/26 05:32:19 (edited)
    snell/GOD & COUNTRY-zero cliques
    +1
    ***If she is distracting the other soldiers on purpose of coarse she should be discharged but if it is not her fault then it is the mans weakness not hers.****
    apparently you forgot what u wrote......your inuendo was pretty clear - physical attraction and likelihood of problems arising from that issue.....admit you screwed up and leave well enough alone.....grace....in other words don't prove your age...
  • deidara... grace 2013/01/25 03:28:56
  • grace deidara... 2013/01/25 23:20:18
    grace
    What does my age have to do with this? And a man has the same likelihood of coming home safely as a woman. If they know what they are getting and still want to do it, why not?
  • deidara... grace 2013/01/25 23:22:44
  • Susana grace 2013/01/25 22:31:53
    Susana
    +2
    Poor everyone when she has bad cramps and no Midol.
    With or without cramps and a heavy menstrual flow she still cannot carry 80 lbs of gear.

She cannot lift a wounded soldier much less carry him.
    She would not be serving her country she would be burdening the male soldiers.
    A child can pull a trigger but no woman can do what a man does.
    Notice there are never any women to carry furniture and other heavy items to wherever?
    Wake up and admit women are not built like men.
    I admire Panetta for forcing him to prove to these men wannabes that women were not made for what men only can do.
  • grace Susana 2013/01/25 23:25:53
    grace
    True, but can I ask and I honestly don't know the answer, during that time of the month is there not something else she can do to help out?
  • Susana grace 2013/01/25 23:50:26
    Susana
    +1
    Yes send them care packages from her local post office.
  • In Love With Liberty 2013/01/25 01:34:26
    In Love With Liberty
    +2
    The military at this current time is completely voluntary if they are willing to sacrifice life and limb for this country, who am I to tell them no?
  • Space Invader 2013/01/25 01:31:15
    Space Invader
    +8
    this is going to turn out very badly...very badly........
  • evangelism_vision 2013/01/25 01:20:38
    ABSOLUTELY (NOT)...no way, no how
    evangelism_vision
    +4
    I know women serve in Combat in the IDF (Israel's Military) but I don't think it is needed here in the American Military
    ABSOLUTELY (NOT)...no way, no how
    +8
    Very few women can compete with men on a physical level and men have a natural attraction toward women that has nothing to do with war and a protective nature toward the physically weaker woman. These are attributes which are incompatible with the battlefield experience and will only serve to make our armies less effective!

Battlefields aren't good environments to conduct social experiments!
  • snell/G... Andrew 2013/01/25 01:08:27
  • In Love... Andrew 2013/01/25 01:36:30
    In Love With Liberty
    +2
    So if a woman is willing to die for our country, you have no problem telling them no?
  • Andrew In Love... 2013/01/25 02:06:48
    +4
    I'm not concerned with stroking women's ideas of grandeur! I am concerned with fielding an army that is the most efficient killing machine and not encumbered with distractions!

2014/10/01 00:31:18