FEMA Worker Asked Christian Group To Remove Their Logo-ed Shirts: Going Too Far?

brainiac 2010/05/18 18:19:03
No, the photographer was just following guidelines which prohibited the promotion of any religious organization.
Yes, the event was organized by a faith-based organization. Asking them to take off their shirts went too far.
I think asking the volunteers to take off their shirts...
A FEMA crew that was working over the weekend for the "Caring For Mississippi Community Work Day" to help tornado victims, asked some volunteers to take off their shirts. The group from Crossgates Baptist church were asked by a FEMA photographer to remove their shirts because they had the logo for the Salvation Army on them. The event itself was organized by the Salvation Army and local News Channel 12, WJTV, and included 12 different churches and organizations across the state. The station provided the shirts which included logos for both organizers. The FEMA photographer reportedly asked for the removal of the shirts because he said his pictures could not include faith-based organizations. Do you think this request went too far?

• SAILOR 2010/05/18 21:20:04
    Yes, the event was organized by a faith-based organization. Asking them to ta...
    SAILOR
    +9
    "The event itself was organized by the Salvation Army and local News Channel 12, WJTV, and included 12 different churches and organizations across the state."

The FEMA photographer taking pictures of a non-government event has no right to ask the shirts be removed. Was the photographer taking the pictures to wrongly show that FEMA was doing the help instead of the Salvation Army. That is the only reason I can think of that they would ask that.

• 1206720 Evan A.... 2010/05/19 21:31:06
  • Evan A.... 1206720 2010/05/19 22:23:19
    Evan A.K.A Shane Sawyer
    +1
    Of course!
  • biggerman 2010/05/19 19:10:37
    biggerman
    +2
    This is a case of a FEMA worker with personal anti-Christian bias who took it upon himself to play the role of A-hole. If he didn't want the Christian t-shirts in his picture, then take pictures of somebody else.
  • Pablo biggerman 2010/05/20 02:33:32
    Pablo
    He has been fired as of mid day Wednesday
  • jessicakaylee 2010/05/19 18:28:08
    jessicakaylee
    thats just rediculess
  • Louisa - Enemy of the State 2010/05/19 18:22:54
    Louisa - Enemy of the State
    +3
    I am probably the most obstinate person in the world! I can't wait for the day that I am told to do something to conform to political correctness. I'm sure I will end up being arrested but it will be worth it!!
  • Pablo Louisa ... 2010/05/20 02:34:34
    Pablo
    +2
    You will joined by many other non PC members. And the list is growing longer by the day.
    Pablo
  • leftright 2010/05/19 16:59:00
    leftright
    +1
    The lengths the socialist media go to to help destroy rights, propagandize information and selectively misinform listeners is staggering. Where were all the Muslim groups helping out? I thought they were good caring people, patriotic and wanted to help their fellow man. You never here of Islam doing anything good but I hear about them blowing up innocent people everyday.
  • captkirk999 2010/05/19 16:54:33
    captkirk999
    +1
    If the event is organized by the salavation army then yes FEMA went too far.
  • Alphalily 2010/05/19 16:48:30
    Alphalily
    +1
    What's up! Is he offended my shirt ? Then he must be offended by my very presence and I will out of the charity of my heart ask him if he would like to leave ....
  • Pablo Alphalily 2010/05/20 02:35:08
    Pablo
    He has since been fired.
  • Marty9957 2010/05/19 16:42:24
    Marty9957
    +5
    I, being a religious person would have very politely have told him to "Kiss My Ass"
  • Andrea Marty9957 2010/05/20 03:32:52
    Andrea
    +1
    AND drew him a map. With pictures. And instructions.
  • ProfaB 2010/05/19 16:19:53
    ProfaB
    +2
    Ridiculous.
    When good is done we properly acknowledge where it came from.
  • ersatz 2010/05/19 16:07:24
    ersatz
    Abridges the individuals' rights under the first amendment. The government did not sponsor the event, and had no control over the event. arguably, the fema photographer was violating privacy rights by photographing a privately organized and operated charity event. Those participating groups had the right to advertise-- or not advertise-- themselves in the course of that event. The government had no business with its nose anywhere near.
  • Charming 2010/05/19 16:05:16
    Charming
    im not religous nor christain in any way however i belie strongly in respecting other peoples religion and everyone has freedom to express there opinion and belife.....what ever happened to freedom of speech and all that jazz?
    really..if you honestly hate the tee shirt dont look,they werent entering a satanic church or muslim church trying to convert them .....so i dont understand why they cant express themselfs thro t-shirts!!
    honestly get a life and stop (pardon me) bitching about things hat arent even a big deal, they arent hurting anyone,leave them alone
  • Artist~PWCM~ 2010/05/19 16:03:43
    Artist~PWCM~
    +3
    What an idiot!
    Sure as hell didn't see any SEIU or ACORN shirts there...
  • Pablo Artist~... 2010/05/20 02:37:05
    Pablo
    +1
    These people were volunteers; SEIU and ACORN get paid, generally out of tax payer funds. Besides, there probably were no new voters there to intimidate and beat up.
    Pablo
  • Andrea Pablo 2010/05/20 03:33:45
    Andrea
    +1
    Or show off for.
  • Pablo Andrea 2010/05/23 01:13:26
    Pablo
    thanks
  • Artist~... Pablo 2010/05/22 11:13:33
    Artist~PWCM~
    +1
    So true...
  • Pablo Artist~... 2010/05/23 01:13:44
    Pablo
    +1
    thanks
  • huskers... Artist~... 2010/05/22 03:13:32 (edited)
    huskersharon
    +2
    If there had been SEIU or ACORN shirts there, the MSM would have plastered it on every newscast for an entire day. No danger of those groups doing volunteer work, they just cause lots of discord or harassment.
  • Artist~... huskers... 2010/05/22 11:14:10
    Artist~PWCM~
    +1
    Probably no shovels to lean on either, lol!
  • huskers... Artist~... 2010/05/22 14:46:48
    huskersharon
    +1
    So right you are!! We see how much help and attention the Volunteer State is getting from Homeland Security "Big Sis" Janet.
  • tom C 2010/05/19 15:26:48
    tom  C
    +4
    The rights of individuals to wear faith based t-shirts,is being questioned..???
    What happened to an individuals rights in this great country?
  • Bob tom C 2010/05/22 03:21:04
    Bob
    +2
    Right down Obummers shitter!!!
  • mick 2010/05/19 14:29:56 (edited)
    mick
    +2
    Maybe if they had been wearing shirts with a Crescent symbol instead? The Fema photographer would have been all over that, he would have called in MSNBC to make
    sure they created a hole news story about it, you can bet that***
  • Pablo mick 2010/05/20 02:38:15
    Pablo
    And don't forget maybe SEIU and ACORN......also favorites for the alphabet media.
    Pablo
  • Jd 2010/05/19 14:07:44
    Jd
    +3
    The damn event was sponsored by the Salvation Army, and they were asked to take their shirts off bearing the sponsors logo?! how in the hell does any of that make sense?
  • very Conservative "me" 2010/05/19 14:05:24
    very Conservative "me"
    +2
    Was stupid and typical of the bullshit foisted on us by the current administration. If I'm not mistaken the salvation army has been around and has been helping people longer than Fema has or will be. They (the Salvation Army) organized the aid when Fema wouldn't do anything for these people. BO's government comes along everywhere AFTER the fact when it comes to the Attention of the American people that they (this administration) are doing nothing. They wouldn't do it THEN except they get caught in the act of not giving a damn about anyone in the country they represent. Once found out they then send a handful out to try to cover up the fact. FEma should have been sent home for this and let the real people help each other. Sorrry bastards.
  • Alleycat 2010/05/19 13:15:21
    Alleycat
    +4
    was a perfect occasion for them to tell the FEMA photographer to kiss their Salvation Army a$$...
  • GANGA~Patriotic Revolution ... 2010/05/19 12:49:35
    GANGA~Patriotic Revolution BL-100+
    +5
    I am sure all of the VOLUNTEER work and contributions were appreciated by the
    people who were affected by the flood! These people did NOT have to donate their time and resources.....this was a charitable and compassionate act.
    The photographer is an idiot!
  • Pablo GANGA~P... 2010/05/20 02:39:38
    Pablo
    I understand he has since been fired. Now, for the rest of FEMA........what are they doing in the Gulf ?
    Pablo
  • lucky 2010/05/19 12:46:25
    lucky
    +4
    According to US Rep Greg Harper (R) Fema told him they had fired the photographer who requested the shirts be removed.

The photographer was wrong, Fema fired him and gave a public apology and issued this statement...

"We are proud of the work that is done by our volunteer and faith-based partners and we are proud to work side by side with them in disaster recovery efforts across the country," Fugate said. "FEMA is not the team, FEMA is only part of the team, and critical members of that team are the voluntary and faith-based organizations we work with every day."

Fema has did the best they can to make up for a bad situation.
  • Artist~... lucky 2010/05/19 16:06:10
    Artist~PWCM~
    +1
    As usual...too late, the damage was done.
  • lucky Artist~... 2010/05/19 20:10:20
    lucky
    +1
    Maybe but unfortunately in this country we cant stop people from speaking before they actually do.
    +4
    I think this is way out of line. Christians have the right to be identified when they are doing a job as a volunteer. Muslims are fully identified as the good guys by the way they dress. Southern Baptists have that same right. They wear T shirts with LOGOs for almost everything they doo.
  • Judester 2010/05/19 11:33:55
    Judester
    +5
    Isn't it interesting that some one who works for a government office feels the power at that level. The addiction gets worse as they climb the ladder of government.
  • Pablo Judester 2010/05/20 02:41:47
    Pablo
    Yea; its called the Peter Principle. The more incompentent they are, the higher they rise in government. To Wit : Obama
    Pablo

2014/09/21 06:16:51