Feds to Require Black Boxes in Cars to Monitor Fuel and Habits?

~ The Rebel ~ 2012/08/03 20:38:58

So says National Center Adjunct Fellow Horace Cooper in a just-released National Center for Public Policy Research paper, "Coming to a Car Near You? The Department of Transportation's Creepy Black Box."

Cooper says the federal government could soon adopt a measure - already approved by the U.S. Senate - mandating that every new car sold in the United States after 2015 include an event data recorder (EDR) - a so-called "automobile black box."

The EDRs are expected to monitor speed, driving habits, locations visited and distances traveled, seat belt utilization, number and weight of passengers carried, and perhaps some 15 other different data measurements. Under the provisions of the measure adopted by the Senate when it voted to reauthorize federal highway transportation programs this summer, the U.S. Department of Transportation, not the car's owner, would determine exactly what data the boxes would record.

"Essentially supporters argue that being able to download the data from the EDR's memory will help law enforcement and even federal regulators to better understand what happened in the event of an accident and how the safety systems performed, and particularly in cases where other techniques are inconclusive, help establish culpability," says Cooper in the paper.

"The EDRs, if made mandatory, will provide a wide open door to the comings and goings of every American," adds Cooper.

Read More: http://www.rightsidenews.com/2012080316789/life-an...

• Katherine 2012/08/03 22:02:32
    Katherine
    +1
    And I repeat, "big brother is watching you."
  • Walt 2012/08/03 22:00:40
    Walt
    +1
    Intrusive sons of bitches, aren't they? I wonder if they're going to make it mandatory to retrofit all cars that don't have black boxes? If not, I'll keep my car running indefinitely and never buy a new one.
  • the judgebigdogeagle-~PWCM~JLA 2012/08/03 21:24:05
    the judgebigdogeagle-~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    I always thought that a GPS device is almost the same thing.as in monitoring.Get awarrant & they can find out where you have been.
  • Simmering Frog - PHART 2012/08/03 20:46:05
    Simmering Frog - PHART
    +2
    funny nun

Somebody mention monitoring my habit?
  • Professor Wizard 2012/08/03 20:45:39
    Professor Wizard
    +2
    It will also be quickly adopted to be used by Insurance Companies to find ways to jack your rates.

There are people who speed on a regular basis, and yet have never had an accident, ticket, or insurance claim in 50 years... These black box's will bust them!

Just one more step with Big Brother watching you.

The good news it - - the price of used cars without these box's will jump through the roof - so hang on to your old car.
  • Walt Profess... 2012/08/03 22:01:49
    Walt
    +1
    Yes. Definitely. That's exactly the strategy I intend to employ. No new cars - ever.
  • Juan O'Mara 2012/08/03 20:40:55
  • Outta' Here. 2012/08/03 20:40:54
    Outta' Here.
    +4
    And exactly how are you going to force me to install this?

65 mustang
  • Walt Outta' ... 2012/08/03 22:02:54 (edited)
    Walt
    +2
    If they required retrofitting, they would link enforcement to a car's yearly inspection. I hope it doesn't come to that.
  • Outta' ... Walt 2012/08/03 22:06:21
    Outta' Here.
    +2
    If the vehicle is a classic automobile, cherried out, with no "modern" advancements; wouldn't attaching such a device ruin the value of the car?
  • Walt Outta' ... 2012/08/03 23:39:50
    Walt
    +2
    Definitely! The only alternative left to classic car purists would be to drive them on private property, never on public roads.

I do hope this doesn't happen.

2014/11/29 07:31:59