Feds sued over Michelle Obama’s secretive vacations

SunShine 2011/08/26 21:58:48

Judicial Watch has filed a lawsuit over the federal government’s refusal to disclose how much taxpayers spent to send Michelle Obama on a “family outing” that included a safari in Africa.

The organization, which investigates and fights government corruption, earlier documented what appears to many to be the extravagant spending by then-House Speaker Nancy Pelosi. Records showed Pelosi cost taxpayers $101,000 for in-flight food and alcohol over a period in 2008 and 2009. At one point she instructed the Air Force to provide chocolate-covered strawberries for a snack, since it was her birthday.

“Dark chocolate preferred” was the order.

Now Judicial Watch wants to know what taxpayers are spending for Michelle Obama’s vacations.

“How much did the American people spend…????

BRING ON THOSE STRAWBERRIES !!!

watch taxpayers spending michelle obamas vacations american people spend strawberrieswatch taxpayers spending michelle obamas vacations american people spend strawberrieswatch taxpayers spending michelle obamas vacations american people spend strawberries

• Frank Beanybudd 2011/09/24 17:23:43
    Frank
    +1
    Who do you think paid the bill for the Jet and Fuel to get there, and the 20 bodyguards, and the food the bodyguards ate, and their transportation and so on??????
  • Beanybudd Frank 2011/09/24 18:04:48
    Beanybudd
    Who do you think paid the exact same thing for all the Presidents and their families before? It's nothing new.
  • hooda Beanybudd 2011/09/01 04:17:17
    hooda
    +4
    The government picks up the tab for the secret service, the staff, and all forms of travel.
  • imtoast Beanybudd 2011/08/28 21:27:09
    imtoast
    +5
    Try, because it is the taxpayers money they spend. They don't spend their own.
  • Beanybudd imtoast 2011/08/28 21:32:31
    Beanybudd
    I'm sure it's the same with every President and their family, though.
  • imtoast Beanybudd 2011/08/28 21:34:49
    imtoast
    +4
    Not to this degree and not in an economic depression. We have telephones for a reason. Both of the obamas are abusing the system.
  • Beanybudd imtoast 2011/08/28 21:39:42
    Beanybudd
    I'm not going say anything is fact. It may seem that way, but I'm not the financial adviser so i don't know what they paid for and didn't.
  • jeane Beanybudd 2011/09/01 05:35:40
    jeane
    +1
    Believe me Beany - they are spending plenty of taxpayer money!!
  • Beanybudd jeane 2011/09/01 06:18:28
    Beanybudd
    +1
    That's a bummer if so :/
  • Mechelle Beanybudd 2011/09/01 06:19:28
  • Beanybudd Mechelle 2011/09/01 06:51:02
    Beanybudd
    4-5 vacations is not that many. Taking two vacations a year is common for most people I know. Our family does, for winter and spring breaks. It really doesn't seem excessive at all. I would hope our Presidents get a break like everyone deserves. Although even if they are on vacation, they are never completely separated from the White House since they must keep in touch or have people with them.

I've been looking around trying to figure out who pays what and a lot said the President pays for dinner and clothes but tax payers pay for the travel.

"No, we don't pay for the dinner tab, etc. Being the President is a job that pays a salary. Even the food that the first family eats in their residence - not the state dinners, is paid for by the President. The lodgings for personal family vacations are paid for by the first family. No president has ever charged his personal family doings to this country. (well, as far as we know). As for clothes - fancy dress for the First Ladies are actually loaned or given to them by designers. Everyday wear they buy themselves- although I am sure they get a much better price than any of us could.

Now the transportation and security is a separate deal. We, the taxpayers, do foot the bill for that. Always have."

"The White House does have a kitchen to se...

"The White House does have a kitchen to serve meals to the First Family and guests, but the president's family also has their own kitchen for themselves. Though the food in the main kitchen is supplied to them, the family has to pay for the food in their personal kitchen.
    Source(s):
    National Geographic ran an article on the White House at the end of George W. Bush's term of office."

And then comparisons with Bush:
    Obama has spent all or part of 38 days on vacation away from the White House. He has also made 14 visits to Camp David spanning all or part of 32 days, for a total of 70 days, Knoller said.
    Bush, at this point in his first term, had made 14 visits to his Texas ranch spanning all or part of 102 days, Knoller said. He also made 40 visits to Camp David spanning all or part of 123 days. His vacation total at this point in his presidency was all or part of 225 days away.

Now, I don't know if everything is completely true, but it seems Obama really isn't a bad guy here. His getaways may be more money, but he hasn't vacationed that much when it gets down to it.
  • SunShine Beanybudd 2011/09/29 13:15:18
    SunShine
    what?? I haven't had a vacation for 4 years and I don't get any winter and spring breaks..
  • Beanybudd SunShine 2011/09/29 15:12:35
    Beanybudd
    +1
    That sucks!! :/
    But most people do get vacations.
  • SunShine Beanybudd 2011/09/29 23:10:01
    SunShine
    not that the taxpayers pay for!!! and spare no expense..
  • Flash,a... Beanybudd 2011/09/29 09:48:39
    Flash,aka,Mr.Lightning
    +1
    "The president earns a $400,000 annual salary, along with a $50,000 annual expense account, a $100,000 non-taxable travel account and $19,000 for entertainment" .
    Sooooooooo..that does not cover the 10 MILLION spent on vacations let alone the cost for all that fueling,-even recently using Air Force 1 & 2 for their last vacation (Michelle wanted a few more hours head start on Barry).
  • Beanybudd Flash,a... 2011/09/29 17:22:05
    Beanybudd
    Sea Monkeys no es bueno.
  • MIKEY 2011/08/28 11:52:36
    MIKEY
    +5
    unreal...simply unreal...their behavior is sickening...
  • Flash,aka,Mr.Lightning 2011/08/27 17:30:40
    Flash,aka,Mr.Lightning
    +6

"I eats 'em all"!
  • SunShine Flash,a... 2011/08/27 17:56:20
  • imtoast Flash,a... 2011/08/28 21:28:03
    imtoast
    +1
    You are so bad!
  • Flash,a... imtoast 2011/08/28 21:44:38
    Flash,aka,Mr.Lightning
    +3
    That's what my teachers always said!
  • Mark P. 2011/08/27 17:12:21
    Mark P.
    +6
    Don't people realize that the libs believe they are royalty.
  • Tori 2011/08/27 15:37:38
    Tori
    +1
    *yawn* Has there ever been a politican who wasn't criticized by the other side for how much they spent on travel? It's predictable and it's tedious, no matter which side does it. I'm sure "Judicial Watch" are wasting their money with this lawsuit. I'm sure Michele's travel expenses were legit and I'll be surprised if we don't find out that the Obamas paid for the safari themselves.
  • Flash,aka,Mr.Lightning 2011/08/27 15:26:48
    Flash,aka,Mr.Lightning
    +5
    OB to MO; "Pass me another of them lobster drumsticks baby"!
  • Flash,aka,Mr.Lightning 2011/08/27 15:21:30
    Flash,aka,Mr.Lightning
    +9
    I was never proud to be an American,-
    until I got my hands on their monies!
    MO
    proud american- hands monies mo
  • jr 2011/08/27 14:53:34
    jr
    +5
    I'm guessing that moochelle loves her country now that see can expolit it for her own pleasure. This extravagance reveals ignorant people suddenly thrust in to power and wealth
    +3
    Why don't you lmpw, Michelle has been playing Elenore Roosevelt. The former carried seret documents during WWII they tell me confering withj our allies. NOW THE QUESTION IS......WHO ARE THE OBAMA'S ALLIES IN AFRICA,,,, OTHER THAN THOSE PO[LE IN KENYA????????
  • (>*~*)>Zombiecat<(*-*<) 2011/08/27 14:18:30
    (>*~*)>Zombiecat<(*-*<)
    +2
    Let them eat cake..... and you see how far that mentality got Marie Antoinette....
  • Joey 2011/08/27 13:48:30
    Joey
    +2
    You people make me sick . You say nothing about Bush's wife going all around the world... but this is something to talk about . It is clear why there is a double standard as well.
  • SunShine Joey 2011/08/27 13:55:22
    SunShine
    +4
    she was fullfilling a duty, she wasn't on vacation.. there is a difference..!!!
  • Joey SunShine 2011/08/27 13:58:31 (edited)
    Joey
    She would make on shot stop and them spend the rest of the time there on vacation, tell me how is her going on a safari fulling any time a duty.

Glad to see you blocked that you don't agree with. And it is still nice to see that you did not address the question. When I go on Business trips I don't have time to take safaris or anything like that .
  • SunShine Joey 2011/08/27 14:13:11 (edited)
    SunShine
    +4
    she was there working for the HIV education program that she did in Africa.. she was praised by people around the world for her work so you must have missed it.
    Please take some english lessons so we can understand what you are saying.
  • Bob, th... SunShine 2011/08/27 14:40:37
    Bob, the reasonable one
    +5
    HIV education was started under the Bush Administration, along with the 1 billion dollar aid program that Bush sponsored....the Safari trip was an unneeded expense at tax payer expense...Michelle was simply supporting a program and hitching a vacation onto an already sponsored program....
  • SunShine Bob, th... 2011/08/27 17:58:57
    SunShine
    +1
    not so.. she was already there working when they went on the safari
  • Bob, th... SunShine 2011/08/27 18:00:52
    Bob, the reasonable one
    +2
    Let's get something straight....Michelle made some speeches, nbd....the vacation was over the top....the AIDS program was already underway from the George Bush
  • SunShine Bob, th... 2011/08/27 18:18:14
    SunShine
    yes it was underway and Laura travelled to other parts of Africa and other countries as well to further expand the program
  • Flash,a... SunShine 2011/08/27 15:24:23
    Flash,aka,Mr.Lightning
    +1
    I.E. Mrs. Bush was,-right?!
  • Bob, th... Joey 2011/08/27 14:37:50
    Bob, the reasonable one
    +5
    List her "vacations", she accompanied her husband on official business to other countries, and the Bushes vacationed at Crawford, Texas (their own property). If Laura Bush did anything extravagent the press would have jumped on that issue big time....and you know it!!! If you can name extravagent affairs, junket trips than list them.. You are just assuming that Laura is the same as Michelle....and I know that is pure, unadulturated silliness..
  • Creative 2011/08/27 13:01:01
    Creative
    +2
    Audit the Fed!

audit fed ron paul substance 2012
  • lm1b2 2011/08/27 12:53:01
    lm1b2
    +4
    I would not have mined if She would have stayed in the land of Her ancestors,and not come back!After Obamas defeated He could have joined Her!

2014/09/19 02:00:02