Federal Unemployment Extension: Should the government give unemployment extensions?

Creamy 2009/09/22 22:28:44
Yes, the federal government should give unemployment extensions
No, the federal government should not give unemployment extensions
I think unemployment extensions...
The federal government may provide unemployment extension to 16 states that have an unemployment rate of 8.5 percent or higher. By extending unemployment benefits, those who are nearing the end of their unemployment may gain an additional 13 weeks of pay without work.

Nevada is considering employing the extension, and the move may require that they borrow $260 million from the federal government. California will also be able to buy into the unemployment extension.

Currently, unemployment benefits can last up to a year and a half. Some say the 13-week unemployment extension will keep people from trying to find more work.

Should the government give unemployment extensions?

• John UL 2009/10/07 23:23:34
    John UL
    +3
    Hey, I've done everything correctly and have not cheated the system. Build up $350,000 over the years owning several homes as I move about the country for the job. Never sighed up for a cheater loan (lied) Never screwed anyone. Worked hard. Saved my money, built up my 401K...Today, under water on my home thanks to the cheaters, 401K way down,thanks again cheaters, Lost my great job thanks to who? You cheaters and the china company buying my company. As I continue on my job search, a littler help for a guy who did everything right is in order. BTW, I can get a bail out to 2% on my home loan, OH, I only have to not pay my loan for three months, ruin my credit, sure..Who's the jerks coming up with these things? Again, bail outs for the "cheaters" who could give a darn about future credit scores. Dead beats. Try to get a car loan or credit car now, Mr. dead beat. Also, good people in every state require assistance, It hurts not to have a job everywhere.

• Ann 2010/12/01 22:48:22
    Ann
    I have known quite a few people who have been offered jobs only to turn them down or just say they looked for a job, because they were making more on all the govt programs, unemployment, food stamps, health care medicaid etc. I am not against unemployment, but the longer certain people get something for nothing the longer they will milk the system and live off the backs of the tax payers. No more extentions, we have gone from 26 weeks to 99 weeks and now we want to add another 13 weeks, when does the roll back start to what it used to be
  • Hula girl - Friends not Fol... 2009/11/06 02:28:33
    Hula girl - Friends not Followers
    It's the ones suffering that have to pay for the others that could take lesser jobs.
  • concerned 2009/10/20 18:52:20
    concerned
    They gave the banks a bailout
  • AlwaysW... concerned 2009/11/05 12:55:20
    AlwaysWorkedMom
    But the fat cats running the financial institutions reaped the rewards of that.....we only get to pay for it.....not benefit from it
  • concerned AlwaysW... 2009/11/06 02:27:39
    concerned
    wall street had a republicans prez that gave them their way .. and thye still went flop .. and now they have a DEM and they won't allow this market to grow .. by not giving loans to small business .. they are just a group of people that really need their buts kicked .. that is why I say we should have allowed them to all fall .. but I do not mind extensing unemplyment benitifits .. the funds belong to the people
  • David 2009/10/19 03:24:15
    David
    If i do not get it i will be on the streets Yes we need the extensions
  • peabody 2009/10/18 06:24:49
    peabody
    yes, way too many people cannot find a job.
  • Dawnsy 2009/10/16 11:48:47
    Dawnsy
    To the blonde women who quotes:

"No, the federal government should not give unemployment extensions".

I bet you have a job and have had it for many years. If you have been out of work for the last 2 years you would need a federal extension. Instead of the federal government giving money to other countries they should ake care of their unemployed first.
  • AlwaysW... Dawnsy 2009/11/05 12:56:47
    AlwaysWorkedMom
    Maybe we should shoot a few more billion to the moon too. What in the world are we hoping to accomplish there? Take care of earth and the people on it first. No kidding here.
  • John UL 2009/10/07 23:23:34
    John UL
    +3
  • AlwaysW... John UL 2009/11/05 12:53:55
    AlwaysWorkedMom
    Amen to yes.....anyone who is an unemployed 50+ person...facing active age discrimination....oh yeah I forgot that's against the law...try proving it though...do you have the money for that.....Everyone who says no to unemployment extensions should be asked to give up their job and pay for a month to give unemployed individuals a job that's all I have to say!
  • AlwaysW... John UL 2009/11/05 12:58:29
    AlwaysWorkedMom
    I would much rather have a job than unemployment benefits and I know you would too. But with no jobs to be had....I would ask for the extended unemployment....want me to work to get it...I'd be glad too.
  • tippo 2009/09/23 13:15:40
    tippo
    Only to those who can't work.
  • AlwaysW... tippo 2009/11/05 12:59:26
    AlwaysWorkedMom
    Let someone else have your job then...but you don't get unemployment benefits...because you would have others go without them....they jobs aren't there blockhead.
  • Amy 2009/09/23 12:53:18
    Amy
    +1
    HELL YES! They owe the American public atleast that much...
  • ProgressiveBum 2009/09/23 05:23:21
    ProgressiveBum
    +1
    Besides the benefits to society, it's money that will be spent immediately, stimulating demand.
  • BlueStar Belle 2009/09/23 04:45:32
    BlueStar Belle
    +1
    Nicely crafted poll, Creamy!

I think there's no real choice. I have friends who have been actively seeking employment... it's almost like they work harder at finding a job than they ever did at any job they held. As long as people are trying and can prove it, then we've got to do it.

However, people have to be legit. My company fights unemployment claims against our funds when the claim is not legitimate... and we win. Employers have to be responsible, too.
  • johnny2bad 2009/09/23 04:36:19
    johnny2bad
    +2
    Yes, we might need that around here in the near future...
  • moomoof 2009/09/23 01:36:07
    moomoof
    +2
    Yes reason being many are unemployed need any more reasons?
  • Archer ~ The Limit Break of... 2009/09/23 01:14:59
    I think unemployment extensions...
    Archer ~ The Limit Break of PHAET
    +1
    As ThoodleDumper said - they're a necessary evil. And considering every worker pays into the system, it's their as our own (supposedly pre-paid) safety net. In this case, with unemployment rates so awfully high, I can see how an extension might be very welcome, if not necessary - temporarily.
  • BlueSta... Archer ... 2009/09/23 04:42:17
    BlueStar Belle
    +2
    Actually, employers pay for the insurance - at least here in CA. I don't, however, disagree with you.
  • Sadie100~In God we trust~ 2009/09/23 01:11:29
    Sadie100~In God we trust~
    To people that can prove they are really looking for work!!There are to many freeloaders out there!! You must think of the children also!!
  • CINDERELLA 2009/09/23 01:10:31
    CINDERELLA
    yes because times are hard and everyone is trying to make ends meet its getting harder everyday and their the cause of it all
  • ὤTṻnde΄ӂ 2009/09/22 22:52:49
    I think unemployment extensions...
    ὤTṻnde΄ӂ
    +3
    ...are a necessary evil. I know too many very hard working people who have lost their jobs and they are struggling. I know if I was in the same situation I'd be thankful for extensions for unemployment.

2014/08/31 04:41:25