Federal Campaign Laws Require Donor's Occupation and Employer: Fair or Foul?

Fef 2012/08/17 19:00:00
The Constitution of the United States of America guarantees Americans the right to free speech in the First Amendment of the Bill of Rights. The Founding Fathers wrote this to allow people to disagree with their government and to avoid recrimination or persecution for their opposition or support of any political beliefs.

Campaign finance laws now require Americans to list their occupation and employer when donating money to a political campaign. Laws also require publicly publishing the names of donors, the recipient and the amount. This can chill free speech because anyone can look up donations and use it to punish someone. For instance, an employer may secretly disqualify an applicant because he donated to a different political party.

The First Amendment of the Constitution: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
From the Mitt Romney 2012 donation form:
"Federal law requires us to obtain and report your occupation and the name of your employer. If you are not employed, please enter None."

From the Barack Obama 2012 donation form:
"Federal law requires us to use our best efforts to collect and report the name, mailing address, occupation, and employer of individuals whose contributions exceed $200 in an election cycle."

Campaign Donation Form

Does requiring information about employment violate the First Amendment? Or is it a fair federal law?

Read More: https://www.mittromney.com/donate/romney-ryan-bump...

• Dr. John Kozmo, ... 2012/08/21 23:16:09
    Dr. John
    What's that got to do with free speech? Is someone who speaks their mind "accusing" you of something? Was there a crime committed by someone exercising their Right to free speech? Going to court has nothing to do with free speech. If you really believe that there is any correlation, then you have a LOT of learning to do.
  • Kozmo, ... Dr. John 2012/08/22 06:33:49
    Kozmo, Kostable of the Kustodian
    If mentioned anonymously, kinda reduces the credibility, especially if slanderous.
  • Dr. John Kozmo, ... 2012/08/22 07:38:09
    Dr. John
    You are pretty good at just making weird statements up as you go. Like I said, you have a LOT of learning to do.
    Not much reason behind your statements.
  • Kozmo, ... Dr. John 2012/08/24 03:57:05
    Kozmo, Kostable of the Kustodian
    Asperger's Logic/License
  • Dhawgg R.J. 2012/08/20 14:06:55
    Oh yeah? Where is that written?
  • Kozmo, ... R.J. 2012/08/21 15:24:58 (edited)
    Kozmo, Kostable of the Kustodian
    Hiding behind a curtain or mask dehumanizes the speaker
    & depersonalizes the (captive?) listener.
    Somewhere over the Rainbow?
  • Dr. John Kozmo, ... 2012/08/21 23:23:48
    Dr. John
    CAPTIVE LISTENER??????? What, did someone kidnap you and tie you down and FORCE you to listen to them with the threat of violence to your person??
    Just because we have the Right to speak does not mean that we are required to identify ourselves.
    I think you need to read the whole Constitution.
  • Kozmo, ... Dr. John 2012/08/22 06:36:33
    Kozmo, Kostable of the Kustodian
    Anonymous indicates cowardice or fear of reprisal, but still most common writer.
  • Dr. John Kozmo, ... 2012/09/06 22:16:22
    Dr. John
    Some of the Founders used pen names in their writings. Are you accusing them of being cowards too? Truth is truth. Like I said, you have a lot to learn.
  • Kozmo, ... Dr. John 2012/09/10 18:19:33
    Kozmo, Kostable of the Kustodian
    I'm working on the assumption that the Writers of the Declaration of Independence & the Constitution did not use assumed names,
    if so, then your nation is a farce.

"A government big enough to give you everything can also take everything away",
    "Tyranny and Oppression will arrive on the shores in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy" - Thomas Paine

"When a man casts a longing eye on office, a rottenness begins in his conduct" - Thomas Jefferson

"Public sentiment is everything. With public sentiment nothing can fail; without it nothing can succeed. He who molds public sentiment goes deeper than he who enacts statutes or decisions possible or impossible to execute"
    "You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time"
    - Abraham Lincoln

"to put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order, to put the nation in order we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order we must first cultivate our personal life, we must set our hearts right"
    - Confucius
  • Dr. John Kozmo, ... 2012/09/11 04:45:59 (edited)
    Dr. John
    "I'm working on the assumption..." Kozmo.
    Your assumption is made with a lack of knowledge or fact. (Pretty much like your other statements.)

All three authors of the Federalist Papers (Alexander Hamilton, James
    Madison, and John Jay) signed their essays "Publius" for Publius Valerius Publicola, a Roman Consul.

Silence Dogood and Poor Richard...Benjamin Franklin

Ps: Thomas Paine, Abe Lincoln (1809-1865) and Confucius (551–479 BC) had nothing to do with the writing of the Founding Documents.

Paine did write the pamphlet "Common Sense" which played a big part in the revolution. You might want to read it (along with the other Founding Documents.)
  • Kozmo, ... Dr. John 2012/09/12 08:53:21
    Kozmo, Kostable of the Kustodian
    I'm Canadian and taken some liberties with using folks that support my opinion. Like every other Soda Header tells the Gospel truth. Also have Asperger's & therefore "Think Different But not Less" - Temple Grandin Ph.D., another afflicted

Besides I'm consistently getting two rave per response I make so other folks may have different (& also not lesser) opinions than you. You're not the ONLY one that matters (may think so but… ).
  • Dr. John Kozmo, ... 2012/09/14 06:35:04 (edited)
    Dr. John
    Are you using "I'm Canadian" as an excuse for your ignorance? All the Canadians I've met were pretty smart people. Guess I will have to add a "Lot To Learn" column. First name will be Kozmo.
    BTW, I was looking over your comments and didn't notice any TUs.
    Also, I answer your statement with facts and all you can do is imply that I may have Asperger's Syndrome!
    How old are you anyway? 8, 10?? Like I said, you have a lot to learn. And i might add, a lot of growing up to do.
  • Kozmo, ... Dr. John 2012/09/17 07:53:02
    Kozmo, Kostable of the Kustodian
    Going the other way, I'm 51 going on 15. Aspies are "different" but not 'less', surviving this despite bullying & incorrect medication and still being functional I consider a miracle. HINT: I'm digressive and quite resistant to a frontal assault (better to be oblique lke me). What do you mean by TU's. Another factor is that have I Post-Trauma Survivor Disposition with hyperthymesia. Besides, everyone susceptible to autism-like caetextia when stressed. NB, when I interact with people a mutual cognitive dissonace occurs, I understand it but the other gets frustrated.
  • JTJ 2012/08/20 02:11:03
    Too bad PAC's do not have to divulge their donors.
  • Eric Haddix 2012/08/20 01:52:59 (edited)
    Eric Haddix
    Another example of a law which was meant to stick it to "the Man," but backfired and stuck it to the average U.S. citizen.

Somebody got played here--you, the average U.S. citizen.
  • BonnieDeutsch 2012/08/20 01:44:14
    What next ? Let's find out the names of these members of Congress who put this law in place and print their names, their political affiliation and any personal information that could be used to discredit them. Let them get their fair share !
  • Adam 2012/08/20 01:35:22
    If I donate to a campaign, I will not be giving away my work info. This is an illegal search, which is a violation of the 4th Amendment.
  • evangel... Adam 2012/08/20 01:44:54
  • Cyan9 Adam 2012/08/20 06:08:15
    I wonder what your opinion on the Patriot Act is then. :P
  • Adam Cyan9 2012/08/21 01:21:24
    if it violates the constitution it should go.
  • DebraJMSmith 2012/08/20 01:24:37
    That's awful! --It would also let people who don't like you, know where you work. Then they can harass your employer.
  • Ann 2012/08/20 00:56:45
    If there is nothing to hide, this should not be a problem.
  • DebraJM... Ann 2012/08/20 01:25:44 (edited)
    So you're cool with some nut on the internet knowing where you and your husband work? Seriously? Do you know how easy it would be to find out a person's real name and search donations for places of employment would be?
  • evangel... Ann 2012/08/20 01:45:26
    It's none of their Business That's the point
  • JAA Ann 2012/08/20 02:14:56
  • Dr. John Ann 2012/09/11 05:37:47
    Dr. John
    Spoken like a true slave with no understanding of the words Liberty or Freedom. It has NOTHING to do with having something to hide or not. It has EVERYTHING to do with, "IT'S NONE OF YOUR DAMN BUSINESS"!!!
  • DeeB 2012/08/20 00:07:32
    For regular citizens, they should not have to report on for like $250. and under. All corporations should be reported to the people, it's us that need to know, not them.
  • Birthpangs 2012/08/20 00:01:47
  • polkastria Birthpangs 2012/08/20 14:14:30
    Yes, it's for real and if you didn't see it.. I'd keep an eye on your bank statements. You may not have given to a legitimate group.

Unless you bought a product like a shirt or something like that.. I don't think product sites have the same requirements.
  • Birthpangs polkastria 2012/08/20 15:24:28
  • Birthpangs polkastria 2012/08/20 15:28:51
  • polkastria Birthpangs 2012/08/20 15:59:28
    okay.. I had to call the FEC to find the exact info myself... but here you go...

First, committees using the Internet for fundraising must make "best efforts" to obtain and report the identification of donors who contribute more than $200 during a calendar year. Committees must maintain electronic records and contributor data for three years after the date on which it reported the contributions. AOs 1999-22 and 1995-09.

And here's the page it's on if you want to read the whole thing...

The Romney campaign SHOULD have had a place to ask you the information or have you sign in so they can ask you for that information if they see you've donated over 200 dollars that year by my read of the law.
  • Birthpangs polkastria 2012/08/20 16:14:09
  • polkastria Birthpangs 2012/08/20 16:21:59
    My guess is that they include employer for two reasons..

1.to keep folks that really aren't allowed to donate due to certain jobs from donations on line

2. to try to keep track of who is who to avoid problems with the same or similar names...

They probably think asking for an employer is less invasive than asking for name, address, and phone every time.

But I don't think it says you HAVE to ask where someone works.. it's probably just easier to keep track of people that way and that they do have to do.
  • Birthpangs polkastria 2012/08/20 21:48:02
  • polkastria Birthpangs 2012/08/21 04:06:37
    It's not there. However they are required to keep track of everyone that donates and keep track of those that give more than 200 a year. Following/ categorizing people by employer is one way to do it.
  • JustTheFacts 2012/08/19 22:43:08
    There is no reason I should have to disclose who I work for to make a political contribution. What is this about?
  • El Prez 2012/08/19 21:56:05
    El Prez
    But then "corporation people" should have to do the same.
  • richard.maloney.7 2012/08/19 19:45:54
    track money going to all these partys

2015/10/09 20:15:45