Father of slain Columbine Student speaks out on Sandy Hook. Wow!

KCurtis 2012/12/20 01:28:48
Guess our national leaders didn't expect this. On Thursday, Darrell Scott, the father of Rachel Scott, a victim of the
Columbine High School shootings in Littleton, Colorado, was invited to
address the House Judiciary Committee's subcommittee. What he said to
our national leaders during this special session of Congress was
painfully truthful.

They were not prepared for what he was to
say, nor was it received well. It needs to be heard by every parent,
every teacher, every politician, every sociologist, every psychologist,
and every so-called expert! These courageous words spoken by Darrell
Scott are powerful, penetrating, and deeply personal. There is no doubt
that God sent this man as a voice crying in the wilderness.. The
following is a portion of the transcript:
"Since the dawn of
creation there has been both good & evil in the hearts of men and
women. We all contain the seeds of kindness or the seeds of violence.
The death of my wonderful daughter, Rachel Joy Scott, and the deaths of
that heroic teacher, and the other eleven children who died must not be
in vain. Their blood cries out for answers.

"The first recorded
act of violence was when Cain slew his brother Abel out in the field.
The villain was not the club he used.. Neither was it the NCA, the
National Club Association. The true killer was Cain, and the reason for
the murder could only be found in Cain's heart.

"In the days
that followed the Columbine tragedy, I was amazed at how quickly fingers
began to be pointed at groups such as the NRA. I am not a member of the
NRA. I am not a hunter. I do not even own a gun. I am not here to
represent or defend the NRA - because I don't believe that they are
responsible for my daughter's death.

Therefore I do not
believe that they need to be defended. If I believed they had anything
to do with Rachel's murder I would be their strongest opponent.

I am here today to declare that Columbine was not just a tragedy -- it
was a spiritual event that should be forcing us to look at where the
real blame lies! Much of the blame lies here in this room. Much of the
blame lies behind the pointing fingers of the accusers themselves. I
wrote a poem just four nights ago that expresses my feelings best.

Your laws ignore our deepest needs,
Your words are empty air.
You've stripped away our heritage,
You've outlawed simple prayer.
Now gunshots fill our classrooms,
And precious children die.
You seek for answers everywhere,
And ask the question "Why?"
You regulate restrictive laws,
Through legislative creed.
And yet you fail to understand,
That God is what we need!

"Men and women are three-part beings. We all consist of body, mind, and
spirit. When we refuse to acknowledge a third part of our make-up, we
create a void that allows evil, prejudice, and hatred to rush in and
wreak havoc. Spiritual presences were present within our educational
systems for most of our nation's history. Many of our major colleges
began as theological seminaries. This is a historical fact. What has
happened to us as a nation? We have refused to honor God, and in so
doing, we open the doors to hatred and violence. And when something as
terrible as Columbine's tragedy occurs -- politicians immediately look
for a scapegoat such as the NRA. They immediately seek to pass more
restrictive laws that contribute to erode away our personal and private
liberties. We do not need more restrictive laws. Eric and Dylan would
not have been stopped by metal detectors. No amount of gun laws can stop
someone who spends months planning this type of massacre. The real
villain lies within our own hearts.

"As my son Craig lay under
that table in the school library and saw his two friends murdered before
his very eyes, he did not hesitate to pray in school. I defy any law or
politician to deny him that right! I challenge every young person in
America , and around the world, to realize that on April 20, 1999, at
Columbine High School prayer was brought back to our schools. Do not let
the many prayers offered by those students be in vain. Dare to move
into the new millennium with a sacred disregard for legislation that
violates your God-given right to communicate with Him. To those of you
who would point your finger at the NRA -- I give to you a sincere
challenge.. Dare to examine your own heart before casting the first
stone!

My daughter's death will not be in vain! The young people of this country will not allow that to happen!"

- Darrell Scott

• KCurtis 2012/12/20 01:34:22
    KCurtis
    +20
    Mr. Scott exemplifies the very best of humanity and complete common sense that is so much a minority in the United States today.

• renee 2013/01/15 19:03:42
    renee
    +6
    The speech contained in this posting was actually given by Mr. Scott on May 27, 1999.
    +1
    so raved !
  • ruthannhausman 2012/12/22 17:01:47
    ruthannhausman
    +3
    What a remarkable and courageous man to be able to maintain his principles after losing his precious daughter. I agree 100% with everything this man has said, and he said it so eloquently that I will not attempt to add anything further.
  • reaper ruthann... 2012/12/23 08:40:04
    reaper
    +1
    do you also agree with this part that was taken out?

http://urbanlegends.about.com...

Political posturing and restrictive legislation are not the answers. The young people of our nation hold the key. There is a spiritual awakening taking place that will not be squelched! We do not need more religion. We do not need more gaudy television evangelists spewing out verbal religious garbage. We do not need more million dollar church buildings built while people with basic needs are being ignored.
  • ruthann... reaper 2012/12/23 16:22:29
    ruthannhausman
    +1
    I read the link and it sounds the same, what did I miss? (I've been very busy with important personal matters that need to be taken care of, so I didn't take a lot of time to match word for word, so I very well could have missed something. Fill me in, okay?)

But he is correct about not needing political posturing. Youth do hold the key. Heck, the youth are the primary inheritors of today's messes.

The "spiritual awakening" he refers to may differ from my opinion, I don't know, because he doesn't elaborate, but I do agree there is, indeed, a spiritual awakening. And the particular awakening that I am seeing is the more serene, loving teachings of Christ. And, yes, Christ, I'm pretty sure, would not have approved of some of the fire-and-brimstone preachers you see today on TV or running their own little cults. Those more vociferous "religious leaders" can be more readily compared to union organizers in this country in that they tend to set out to incite rather than to persuade by valid arguments.

The building of elaborate, expensive churches? I'm sure there's something going on that I'm not marrying up to that phrase but I don't catch what he's referencing here. But, yeah, we don't need gaudy churches. That's pretty much akin to "graven images," I would imagine, buildin...

The building of elaborate, expensive churches? I'm sure there's something going on that I'm not marrying up to that phrase but I don't catch what he's referencing here. But, yeah, we don't need gaudy churches. That's pretty much akin to "graven images," I would imagine, buildings built to impress people, not souls. I don't know what his point was, though, but that's mine.

So I have to admit I'm a little bit uncertain about this particular paragraph, but was that left out? Again, I'm sorry but I missed that. But it doesn't change my agreement with the sentiments of a father who's undergoing major pain inside as I made reference to earlier. And if this paragraph can be read in the context of how I personally think, then there is no disagreement here either.

Paint me embarrassed if I've misunderstood the cite.
  • reaper ruthann... 2012/12/24 05:47:36
    reaper
    the missing part is between
    "The real villain lies within our own hearts."
    and
    "As my son Craig lay under that table in the school library and saw his two friends murdered before his very eyes, He did not hesitate to pray in school."

but what i think he is saying on that is we also need fewer evangelical leaders acting like idiots.
  • ruthann... reaper 2012/12/24 07:31:19
    ruthannhausman
    +2
    Thanks for the fill-in. And, yes, I have to agree with that as well. But the same could be said for any category of people, couldn't it? Religions have their zealots and unions have theirs, as well as political parties in general and a whole list of other things that I won't waste space listing here.

But the point is a good one.
  • reaper ruthann... 2012/12/24 07:33:25
    reaper
    +1
    indeed, balance must be found.
  • ruthann... reaper 2012/12/24 19:07:43
    ruthannhausman
    +1
    Balance, sanity, common sense, you name it. Most of all, peace. Lord, would it not be nice to actually experience peace for a change?
  • reaper ruthann... 2012/12/24 22:13:41
    reaper
    +1
    no, there needs to be some kind of strife, but on a more personal level. because if we all agree with each other on everything we don't learn.
  • ruthann... reaper 2012/12/26 12:11:58
    ruthannhausman
    +3
    Peace doesn't guarantee everybody being on the same page of the book, it just guarantees that the differences are being handled intelligently and without mayhem. That's the kind of peace I wish for. I would hate to live in a world where everybody agrees 100% on everything. That would be boring, boring, boring, to say the least.
  • reaper ruthann... 2012/12/26 22:22:14
    reaper
    i like you.

• santa6642 2012/12/22 13:27:00
    santa6642
    +2
    Beautiful , fantastic post god bless this man and his common sense and comfort his family for there lose.
  • Erok 2012/12/22 11:39:23
    Erok
    +2
    Very well said sir. I am sorry for your loss :( It is too bad the douches' that need to hear this won't allow it because of our liberally biased media!!!
  • Charles E 2012/12/21 16:00:56
    Charles E
    +2
    Verry moving statements. Too bad it doesn't support the Progressive Media agende and therefore will never be widely distributed except in alternative media.

Spread thes statement with as many people as possible in the interest of truth.
  • Debra Smith 2012/12/21 04:47:33
  • Charles E Debra S... 2012/12/21 16:09:25
    Charles E
    +3
    Beauityful.
  • Balladeer-PWCM-POTL 2012/12/21 03:34:59
    Balladeer-PWCM-POTL
    +3
    a voice in the wilderness....Blessed be he that tries
  • sick'n'tired PWCM 2012/12/21 00:52:34
    sick'n'tired PWCM
    +3
    BRAVO!!!!!
  • dubbie 2012/12/20 22:34:06
    dubbie
    +4
    When you take your children Back to school after the CHRISTMAS Break , Dont just drop them off , Go inside and say a little prayer with them In THEIR School that YOU Pay taxes on , We all pay for these Schools and we DONT have to listen what Politicans tell WE or THEY ,CAN OR CANT do in OUR Schools
  • ktshelly1 2012/12/20 20:11:45
    ktshelly1
    +3
    Everyone shouldve learned a little something from the Columbine shooting. it happened before i was around but even i know that it is not that difficult to be kind and curtious to others. in my old high school we were all introduced to Rachels Challenge and i am one of the few in my senior class that took it all to heart. it is easy to be kind and it is easy to prevent these things from happening. we should all learn something from Columbine, and Sandy Hook to not let history repeat itself again and to continue with Rachel Joy Scotts chain reaction of kindness and compassion
  • Charles E ktshelly1 2012/12/21 16:08:15
    Charles E
    +2
    You are wise beyond your years. Too bad the fossils in Congress will not hear this message and act appropriately.

Thank you for input.
  • Spy Master 2012/12/20 19:18:42 (edited)
    Spy Master
    +8
    A brave American; to speak truth in the pit of liars; blamers and cowards.

God Bless Him; and God bless the former United States of America..

We are no longer united in our Constitution; we are divided by the same people we elected to represent us; we are a Republic; this is not a Democracy where we are ruled by pretenders and sold out hacks.

We are no longer United; our politicians and their agendas have seen to that.

WE MUST NEVER FORGET..We are America; not the politicians and their puppet masters that have destroyed what greatness we once had.

Whether they be Republican or Democrat; they can do nothing to help anyone. How can they?

They should have adopted a creed before they went into office; "First Do No Harm".. jasuaioaoap
  • frank 2012/12/20 18:49:39
    frank
    +6
    It is just too bad that everything he said fell on death ears, both by congress and the snooze media.
  • mikeyavelli 2012/12/20 18:25:42
    mikeyavelli
    +2
    good for us to hear that. sense amidst tragedy.
  • Embalmer 2012/12/20 15:56:50
    Embalmer
    +1
    In April, it will be the 14th anniversary (why the hell we call it an anniversary is beyond me), of the Columbine killings. This guy has obviously healed, and by no means does that mean everyone will heal like that of a heartless right wing radical who has a hard on for the NRA. It's been more than 4 hours, get his ass to a hospital -

Those of you who are using this as an avenue to pimp your sick belief that personal gun rights are more important than human life need to be waterboarded non-stop.

Adding the God factor into this only gives you freaks something more to hide behind, it shows your selfish beliefs cannot stand on their own merit and that you know it.
  • Spy Master Embalmer 2012/12/20 19:30:11
    Spy Master
    you must have no core..you can't
    Adolf would have liked you very much
  • Embalmer Spy Master 2012/12/20 23:52:02
  • Character Embalmer 2012/12/20 21:13:40
    Character
    +3
    Wow! You have a serious problem - with you're ability to think....
  • Embalmer Character 2012/12/20 23:52:31
    Embalmer
    Oh get over it - I love pissing you jerks off.
  • KCurtis Embalmer 2012/12/21 00:29:51
  • Charles E KCurtis 2012/12/21 16:13:07
    Charles E
    +1
    I don't usually like rude posts but this one is well deserved.
  • Embalmer KCurtis 2012/12/21 16:57:36
    Embalmer
    If that's all you've got to respond to me with then I will assume that my answer on here was quite fitting, especially in your case.

I consider this to be another TKO of a RWNJ question.
  • Wahvlvke KCurtis 2012/12/21 17:23:32
    Wahvlvke
    +1
    KC ... you did it again ... wonderful.
  • KCurtis Embalmer 2012/12/21 00:28:56
    KCurtis
    +2
    I guess you have a problem with the Constitution. bat
    This shooter passed on 2 theaters where CCW were allowed. The one he picked didn't allow CCW. You fail.
  • Charles E KCurtis 2012/12/21 16:12:04
    Charles E
    +1
    Never heard that in the Official Media!
  • Embalmer KCurtis 2012/12/21 16:59:12
    Embalmer
    Your problem is you are unable to see anything other than black and white on issues, and that says you have problems with perception.

Work on it, you'll be okay - maybe.
  • KCurtis Embalmer 2012/12/21 22:12:04 (edited)
    KCurtis
    is that your lame way of calling me a racist epic fail
  • Embalmer KCurtis 2012/12/22 00:07:53
    Embalmer
    No. Seeing things black and white is just a saying - look it up. Damn.
  • sneekyfoot 2012/12/20 15:54:37
    sneekyfoot
    same ole same ole

2014/08/20 08:19:43