Fallout Shelters Make a Comeback: Useless Revival or Tool for Survival?

Following the Fukushima nuclear power plant accident, caused by Japan's devastating earthquake earlier this year, the public has become increasingly concerned with nuclear disasters and how to better prepare for them.

According to The Asahi Shimbun, a Japanese news source, Americans are looking back into a concept that hasn't been popular since the 1950s, when we were still telling our kids to hide under their desks if the bomb dropped.

Sales for fallout shelters, or "nuclear bunkers," have reportedly increased tenfold for some companies, and Robert Vicino, the CEO of Vivos, points to the Japanese earthquakes as the primary reason.

Vicino told Asahi, "We have about a 1,000 percent increase in immediate applications for memberships and accommodations in Vivos after the March 11 earthquake, tsunami and nuclear meltdown in Japan. People are afraid of Earth-changing events. The central concern of our inquiries and potential customers is that we are seeing more intense and frequent Earth changes that may lead to more of what occurred in Japan."

A similar influx occurred in 2006, when North Korea began conducting nuclear tests, but these are the first such increases since the end of the Cold War.

However, Kenneth Rose, a lecturer at California State University, explains, "No one knows how many shelters were built because people generally wanted to keep their shelters a secret."

A typical fallout shelter charges individuals about $50,000 for a spot in a bunker equipped to support "from about 80 to 2,000 people." (Children cost $25,000.)

• MadAsHEck Cliff 2011/08/22 18:18:50
    MadAsHEck
    +2
    Which is how they build in Israel actually. Ther reason there are fewer casualties in relation to the number of Rockets fired into their country.
  • Cliff MadAsHEck 2011/08/22 18:20:06
    Cliff
    +1
    It seems we could learn a thing or two from Israel.
  • WhereIsAmerica? ~PWCM~JLA 2011/08/22 18:09:12
    Useless revival
    WhereIsAmerica? ~PWCM~JLA
    Buy some guns and ammo instead.
  • MadAsHEck WhereIs... 2011/08/22 18:20:34
    MadAsHEck
    +1
    Not much use against a Missile. But if it makes you feel better.

Our guys over seas carry some big guns, but still get taken out by Rockets, RPGs and IEDs.
  • knowerseeker 2011/08/22 18:04:29
    Useless revival
    knowerseeker
    +1
    Question: Ok, so I've survived the nuclear blast in my fallout shelter, and I *think* it's secure from fallout radiation. Now what? I run out of food or out of space to put my wastes in, and I have to leave the shelter to survive. But then, radiation takes a loooong time to dissipate, and I get the radiation poisoning I was trying to avoid anyway when I flee the shelter to find more food, etc. Eventually, because of lack of medical facilities or shortage of supplies (they got wiped out from the blasts), I die. See the movie "The Day After".
  • MOMMA THOMAS 2011/08/22 18:04:04
    Tool for survival
    MOMMA THOMAS
    +2
    NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU MIGHT NEED....... NO SPACE IN MY YARD, GUESS I'LL STICK WITH MY BASEMENT.
  • Nikki Jones 2011/08/22 18:03:35
    Tool for survival
    Nikki Jones
    My fallout shelter will read:

Smart, beautiful people ONLY - no fatties!

that way - when the end of the earth comes, the perfect people will come out and re-populate the world.
  • Account... Nikki J... 2011/08/22 22:58:04
    Account Closed
    +1
    Wow, Sieg Heil!!!
  • Callaway 2011/08/22 18:01:47
    Useless revival
    Callaway
    Next one won't be a nuke anyway more like a bio or something equally sinister. I never ever got what you would want to be the last one standing for anyway with nothing to eat, water or air to breath after one of these things all by your lonesome. At some point your stores would run out. And I remember when they were the thing to have in the 50's this sounds like just another way of turning a buck pandering to paranoia.
  • k i r a 2011/08/22 18:01:04
    Tool for survival
    k i r a
    +1
    You never know what could happen. I think it would be smart to have them. It should be a better more modernized version than the ones back then though.
  • bob 2011/08/22 17:59:53
    Useless revival
    bob
    +3
    go ahead and waste your money on a fallout shelter. If the big one comes you can live a little longer in a hole in the ground. afterwhich you can survive by farming by hand. to each his own.
  • Mr.Hoodz the Truth Troll 2011/08/22 17:47:02
  • jeepster4 2011/08/22 17:38:16
  • MadAsHEck jeepster4 2011/08/22 18:31:10
    MadAsHEck
    +1
    And thik about it, there are places in the world where the need for a shelter happens on a daily basis. We are very fortunate in this country, and have become very complacent.

We can only hope that a huge disasster does not occur here. Mainly because ther general populace has no clue. They expect the Government will suddenly drop out of the Sky like an angel and save them. Or on the other side of the coin say"this is America and that can't happen here"

I have studied what an EMP from a huge solar burst, or Manmade source could do to this country. And mentioning it to people, am told that is cannot happen. That it is science Fiction. Maybe Science, but definately not fiction.
  • holdenferall 2011/08/22 17:33:20
    Tool for survival
    holdenferall
    +3
    They're useless until you need them.
  • Ben 2011/08/22 17:33:18
    Tool for survival
    Ben
    +2
    What was that movie where the skater had a bedroom in the bomb shelter in the backyard? Was that Gleaming the Cube or something else?
  • Charles E Ben 2011/08/22 20:25:31
    Charles E
    I remember the movie. Can't remember the title either. Pretty good, as I recall.
  • Neko-chan 2011/08/22 17:32:52
    Tool for survival
    Neko-chan
    my thought's. :P
    It's just been a bomb in NORWAY!! that's the last country I thought that would happend in, so now I think it can happen any where at any time.
  • davyd god loving patriot 2011/08/22 17:30:49
    Tool for survival
    davyd god loving patriot
    +2
    the way the dems are changing the world, tool for survival
  • taitaFalcon23 2011/08/22 17:29:04
    Tool for survival
    taitaFalcon23
    +2
    there are a couple scenarios here; the one scenario is to lock youself away and hide... problem is, you have to store a lot of stuff to not have someone 'wait you out' and water is going to be the biggest bargaining chip. You might be able to carry some of what you need but not an unlimited resource. The other thought is be very capable on the move and able to 'make' your water and collect necessary items on the move. I choose to keep moving... since I live on the west coast, a solar still ensures a virtually unlimited supply of water - food is not a problem, there are so many options that I won't go into them here. People laugh at Prepper people like us but then, there's the story of the ant and grasshopper. The most obvious way to build even a small one, is bury a metal shed and add to it in a modular fashion. Most people can afford to get one and rent a backhoe
  • bronx 2011/08/22 17:16:54
    Tool for survival
    bronx
    +3
    One might come in handy if Barry get re-elected!!!
  • CODE 11 2011/08/22 17:07:22 (edited)
    Tool for survival
    CODE 11
    +1
    I have a stock..in China..they are making shopping centers oiut of old fallout shelters..just paid a dividend...RNHEF
  • Bill G53 ~PWCM~JLA 2011/08/22 17:05:10
    Useless revival
    Bill G53  ~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    What good did Hitler's bunker do in the last days of WW2? All it did was delay the inevitable. This current revival in bunker mentality will do the same. Where does your air come from? Then there is water, food, waste disposal. On top of that is living in there the other 23.5 hours you are not eating or pooping.

I recall in the Rodney King riots that the people who survived and protected their business are the ones who patrolled their roof tops carrying shotguns. When the flash-mobs start coming down my street, I'm going up, not down.
    protected business patrolled roof tops carrying shotguns flash-mobs street rodney king riots shop owners shotguns
  • ReasonOverFaith BN - 0 2011/08/22 17:00:49
    Useless revival
    ReasonOverFaith BN - 0
    +2
    Everyone break out the tin foil hats, its gonna be a party!
  • dave b 2011/08/22 16:59:12
    Tool for survival
    dave b
    +1
    Well, with the fact that Iran is going to make nukes, and our so-called governments obvious open border policy, then yes, fallout shelters are probably a good idea.
  • truthman 2011/08/22 16:57:38
    Tool for survival
    truthman
    +3
    The way i see it, if B. Hussein Obama is elected again we will need them. The natives are getting restless. Unless more and bigger freebie checks are written by the government, the flash mobs will become totally and i mean totally out of control. Lock and load men, its coming. Protect yourself and your loved ones.
  • justonemom 2011/08/22 16:49:52
    Tool for survival
    justonemom
    +1
    I wish I could afford one!
  • ★~DoctorWhoGuru~★ 2011/08/22 16:48:44
    Useless revival
    ★~DoctorWhoGuru~★
    +2
    Useless revival
  • bpf 2011/08/22 16:48:29
    Tool for survival
    bpf
    +1
    Would depend on the type of disaster, how well you are prepared and do you have the weapons to protect your family. In the case of an all out nucleate war no shelter unless it's able to protect you and many others for about a thousand years or more and then there may be nothing to come out to. You would have to keep it completely secrete, be able to reach it quickly from your work, etc;, well defended, lots of guns and bullets.
  • SkittleE 2011/08/22 16:48:17
    Tool for survival
    SkittleE
    +3
    Honestly, it doesn't hurt to be prepared. Listen to Disney for once!
    honestly hurt prepared listen disney Be Prepared Scar
    (Um, ignore the dictatorship similarities.)
  • Charles E SkittleE 2011/08/22 20:28:35
    Charles E
    The dictatorship similarities are what make it real and relevant.
  • SkittleE Charles E 2011/08/22 21:34:04
    SkittleE
    +1
    I know, but I was just trying to be funny.
  • Charles E SkittleE 2011/08/23 02:38:54
    Charles E
    +1
    You succeeded.
  • SkittleE Charles E 2011/08/23 04:44:19 (edited)
  • 2226693 2011/08/22 16:48:12
  • MadAsHEck 2226693 2011/08/22 18:36:27
    MadAsHEck
    +1
    Bet you would change your mind quickly when put in Harms Way.

Changes your mind quickly, and instinct takes over. You won't control it, your subconcious will. How soldiers survive in battle. Adreneline and the Survival instinct, neither controllable.
  • 2226693 MadAsHEck 2011/08/22 18:37:47
  • Idiot r... 2226693 2011/08/22 21:15:38
    Idiot repubs
    +2
    Christians sure seem reluctant to go meet their maker.
  • 2226693 Idiot r... 2011/08/22 21:38:06
  • The Potato Princess 2011/08/22 16:37:58
    Tool for survival
    The Potato Princess
    +2
    *random story time :D*

My old school had a fall out shelter and my social studies teacher told the class how, decades ago, if there ever was need to use the shelter, the teachers would leave the classroom saying that they'd be back soon, lock the kids in, and hurry there. Isn't that so cheerful? ^-^

2014/09/02 23:43:44