Fallout Shelters Make a Comeback: Useless Revival or Tool for Survival?

SodaHead News 2011/08/22 13:00:00
Following the Fukushima nuclear power plant accident, caused by Japan's devastating earthquake earlier this year, the public has become increasingly concerned with nuclear disasters and how to better prepare for them.

According to The Asahi Shimbun, a Japanese news source, Americans are looking back into a concept that hasn't been popular since the 1950s, when we were still telling our kids to hide under their desks if the bomb dropped.

Sales for fallout shelters, or "nuclear bunkers," have reportedly increased tenfold for some companies, and Robert Vicino, the CEO of Vivos, points to the Japanese earthquakes as the primary reason.

Vicino told Asahi, "We have about a 1,000 percent increase in immediate applications for memberships and accommodations in Vivos after the March 11 earthquake, tsunami and nuclear meltdown in Japan. People are afraid of Earth-changing events. The central concern of our inquiries and potential customers is that we are seeing more intense and frequent Earth changes that may lead to more of what occurred in Japan."

A similar influx occurred in 2006, when North Korea began conducting nuclear tests, but these are the first such increases since the end of the Cold War.

However, Kenneth Rose, a lecturer at California State University, explains, "No one knows how many shelters were built because people generally wanted to keep their shelters a secret."

A typical fallout shelter charges individuals about $50,000 for a spot in a bunker equipped to support "from about 80 to 2,000 people." (Children cost $25,000.)

• Wizard Blueskies 2011/08/25 03:43:20 (edited)
    Wizard
    Although I do not 100% agree...as I've seen mostly the honest ones, such when you pass your change to the driver, and it comes all the way to the back of the Jeepney unmolested.

I am supposing that is how my ex must of felt - that it is was OK to send her 'hidden' savings to the Philippines...and she did not realize I needed that money to get us towards a better life, especially during a recession, so we could send them even MORE money later.
  • Blueskies Wizard 2011/08/27 15:18:25
    Blueskies
    In the military we had to be carefull sending secret matierals, or cash, through the mails. Anything that passed through the Phillippines was opened and any cash pilfered, then resealed and sent on.
  • Wizard Blueskies 2011/08/27 20:39:48
    Wizard
    Yeah...I understand...that is why I had sent my then fiance' an ATM card, to go do a 500 peso pickup ($10). I explained it to my bank...and they were cool with it - once they understood my intention...otherwise it would have locked up. Your problem sending mail with the USA on it can be a problem...especially if it looks like a greeting card. That holds true all over SE Asia. I sent any docs via DHL, or FedEx to make sure it arrived safe.
  • Mike Wizard 2011/08/23 23:05:46
    it's only cheap if you don't live in Arizona and don't need super heavy equipment that takes three days to dig a 3x3x3 foot hole in the ground.
  • Wizard Mike 2011/08/24 08:24:56 (edited)
    Wizard
    My late mother and I made a homemade in-ground swimming pool that is still up today, although in need of some repair. We made it in 1971 for about $120.

It is 12'x12' by 3 feet deep. (Hey, it's a family pool, and 3 feet deep is covered under homeowner's insurance.) It took 6 weeks, using shovels, in a month of June, working a little every late afternoon and evening.

Over MOST of the 3rd world, they do not have the luxury of a bulldozer. However, if you rent a backhoe for a day (about $200 plus deposit)...you can dig a square hole in the ground that is at least 8 ft across and 6 to 8 feet deep within about 10 hours with a couple of breaks. With an extended reach backhoe, you can go about 10 ft...or you can create a ramp into the pit to go deeper on one end. (For deep water, etc.) However, due to soft ground, that is risky to be reaching over a dirt mini cliff. It is better to dig when the ground is hard after a dry spell. (Such as August.)

The same construction as that pool only requires the shelter be deep enough that you can put a roof that is 7'2" above your head. Then, you cover the room with dirt...except for your stairs down to it. Cinder block is the brick of choice. Just pour a cement floor for about $90 a cu. yard, then start on your walls the next day. Make a form for ...

The same construction as that pool only requires the shelter be deep enough that you can put a roof that is 7'2" above your head. Then, you cover the room with dirt...except for your stairs down to it. Cinder block is the brick of choice. Just pour a cement floor for about $90 a cu. yard, then start on your walls the next day. Make a form for your ceiling, and you can pour that too, but as long as the ceiling is only one or two feet below ground, and covered in Earth to camouflage...treated oakwood lumber is sufficient, if you worry about getting trapped under cement boulders during a raid. Besides, it tends not to rot.

If determined, you could build a bomb shelter for under $7500, if you do the labor yourself, maybe even under $3,000, if you get everything on sale. Grass is free, if you make your own sod.

I am scratching my head...was your 3 a measurement of yards, or feet? Surely if only 3x3x3...I can dig that in an afternoon with a shovel.

Here's another look at a do-it-yourself shelter. By making the construction tight, it will protect even as the house collapses. One thing for SURE, once built, it makes a fantastic game room or den, and can be quite cozy in the winter, or heat of summer.

built fantastic game room den cozy winter heat summer bomb shelters
  • Mike Wizard 2011/08/24 16:28:02
    my measurement was feet. In Arizona, the ground is so hard there are literally NO houses with basements. The only digging we do here is for pools, and those are SUPER expensive.
  • rk 2011/08/23 04:05:26
    Useless revival
    rk
    +2
    No need
  • Manwë 2011/08/23 04:05:23
    Useless revival
    Manwë
    +1
    Most are a useless revival, a few may be positioned to help in surviving a disaster.
  • BHGOzzy 2011/08/23 03:53:27
    Tool for survival
    BHGOzzy
  • Soundstorm BHGOzzy 2011/08/23 05:46:41
    Soundstorm
    +1
    Careful Indy! There may be asps! You go first!
  • BHGOzzy Soundstorm 2011/08/23 11:59:00 (edited)
  • Soundstorm BHGOzzy 2011/08/23 15:36:44
    Soundstorm
    +1
    Remember everybody! Always keep your fallout shelter ship shape!
  • Jana ♥ ♥ ♥ 2011/08/23 03:47:13
    Tool for survival
    Jana ♥ ♥ ♥
    +2
    Some people will think this is really a stupid idea when as a matter of fact its one of the smartest things.For some reason some people think that this country is safe but in all reality its not and far from it.We have so many enemies in so many different places,and it would not take much to put something in the air to get rid of a few thousand people,those who have no shelters will be the ones to go first.Not all of us have a shelter but its something to look into just in case. It can be home made, some have storm shelters which can be modified for a attack with chemical weapons.Got to watch out that someone
    like Moammar Gadhafi’s stockpile of advanced, chemical, and other weapons “don’t fall into the wrong hands as these people just dont give a dam about our country or our people.

chemical weapons fall wrong hands people dam country people fallout shelter
  • XZQZQ 2011/08/23 03:41:27 (edited)
    Tool for survival
    XZQZQ
    +2
    Fallout shelters are OK, but kinda small.... How about a ICMB missile silo, that the Pentagon has been selling off in recent years ?

http://www.missilebases.com/
  • Moonbeams 2011/08/23 03:35:16 (edited)
    Useless revival
    Moonbeams
    +1
    "Well there ain't no time to wonder why.. WHOOPEE! We're all gonna die."
  • Blueskies Moonbeams 2011/08/23 15:39:21
    Blueskies
    +1
    lol, we all are doomed.
    Everybody alive today will be dead in 100 odd years and we cannot prevent it.
  • rk Blueskies 2011/08/27 21:25:15
    rk
    Crap you mean I'm gonna die some day? But I don't smoke, drink or stay up late. I thought those were the things that killed you?
    Guess I'll start smoking and drinking
  • RobThatGuy 2011/08/23 03:31:06
    Tool for survival
    RobThatGuy
    +2
    I always wanted one growing up as a kid. A neighbor had one they converted into a room for kids to hang out and play in, it was Awesome... But kinda useless for it's intended purpose.
  • Hula girl - Friends not Fol... 2011/08/23 03:29:31
    Tool for survival
    Hula girl - Friends not Followers
    +3
    I'd love to have one. I'm on a Community Emergency Preparedness Committee and we are holding a fair next month to help get our town ready for an Emergency. We are going to work towards being the first certified town here to be ready.
  • KJ 2011/08/23 03:12:34
    Useless revival
    KJ
    +2
    If we are going to go, we are going to go. Shelter or not
  • Heidi 2011/08/23 03:03:28 (edited)
    Useless revival
    Heidi
    +1
    no thanks to tinny little space tinny space fallout vault 101

vaults i could handle though, i would miss the sunlight
  • ur XLNC-PWCM 2011/08/23 02:44:06
    Tool for survival
    ur XLNC-PWCM
    +2
    Congress is building shelters for THE CONTINUITY of GOVERNMENT...at our expense.
  • ur XLNC... ur XLNC... 2011/08/23 02:46:02
    ur XLNC-PWCM
    +1
    We are UNILATERALLY DIS-ARMING! China and Russia are building up their arsenals. Congress building shelters.....hmmm, seems they know something and aren't talking OR LISTENING!
  • XZQZQ ur XLNC... 2011/08/23 03:43:49
    XZQZQ
    +3
    Like the Greenbriar Hotel bunker.... I wonder how many other large bunkers are scattered around the country ?
  • Nuke 2011/08/23 02:21:40
    Useless revival
    Nuke
    +2
    They weren't used when they were invented and they will remain unused... what a waste.
  • Z-Wolf 2011/08/23 02:19:01 (edited)
    Tool for survival
    Z-Wolf
    +5
    When I get a home it will have tunnels. One leading to a fallout shelter, a docked boat stocked with supplies ways away from my home, a safe house, and an ammo room.

boat stocked supplies ways home safe house ammo room
  • XZQZQ Z-Wolf 2011/08/23 03:44:23
    XZQZQ
    +1
    Sounds good to me !!
  • Z-Wolf XZQZQ 2011/08/23 23:56:38
    Z-Wolf
    I know, I'm packed for survival!
  • Catnip 2011/08/23 02:18:45
    Tool for survival
    Catnip
    +2
    I love them. Don't be jealous folks! But I actually have one. When we bought our house back in 1993, The bomb shelter was already there. It was built back by some paranoid guy in the 1950's. When he passed away in 1992 (at the age of 92), his family put the house up for sale. And we were lucky enough to buy it.

This shelter is WELL BUILT. This old dude did one hell of a job building this thing. Steel reinforced concrete withan added layer of cinder blocks. Multiple rooms. Good ventilation. There's even running water and a working toilet. It's like a mini apartment down there. It turns out that guy who built it was a contractor. So building this shelter and having all of the materials to build this shelter was a piece of cake for him. My family sure lucked out!
  • Hula gi... Catnip 2011/08/23 03:31:35
    Hula girl - Friends not Followers
    +3
    That's what we were going to do for our new home we were going to build before the crash happened in 08.
  • Catnip Hula gi... 2011/08/23 17:12:32
    Catnip
    You can still load up on supplies. Food, water, medical, electronics (don't forget guns & ammo). They're always good to have. If your house has a basement, you could probably still build a small shelter with raw materials you can pick up at Home Depot at minimal cost. And there are all sorts of guide books you can fine on line that can help you build one. Good luck!
  • Hula gi... Catnip 2011/08/23 20:27:07
    Hula girl - Friends not Followers
    Don't worry...I'm more than prepared. I'm actually co-chair of our Communities Emergency Preparedness committee and we are holding a fair, seminars, and will be the first Tsunami Prepared Certified Community in the State.
    We walk the talk and have all those things yet Hawaii is still and Island and having a basement is like having a pool under your house....It ain't gonna happen. Our piece of land was on the side of a hill so we had a place there to build one.

My other half...is an NRA Certified Instructor and a former seal and in crisis prep for the State so all our basis are covered.
  • Catnip Hula gi... 2011/08/24 17:15:43
    Catnip
    +1
    That's awesome. I just have family. My wife and I are also NRA Certified. And my brother was a US Army Ranger. And my youngest son is a cub scout. So, we're prepared too!
  • XZQZQ Catnip 2011/08/23 03:45:29
    XZQZQ
    +2
    When the brown stuff hits the fan, we will all be over for a visit, lol...
  • Catnip XZQZQ 2011/08/23 17:05:05
    Catnip
    When the brown stuff does hit the fan, we'll be locking and loading!
    brown hit fan locking loading Firing the AK 47 brown hit fan locking loading
  • rk Catnip 2011/08/27 20:26:48
    rk
    +1
    You baaad boy. Mine is a M1. carbine sweet shooter and yes I do use it for hunting with a five shot clip. My she devil has a 243. remington No problems man
    Attached this funny clip.. Mine does not misfire.

• Catnip rk 2011/08/27 22:08:51
    Catnip
    Sweet!
  • JeffRockyflatsgear 2011/08/23 02:12:53
    Tool for survival
    JeffRockyflatsgear
    +2
    Every home should have a WELL stocked safe room food, water, first aid, radio, etc.... for tornado, power outage or from zombie bankers. Remember Nukes are missing from arsenals and don't be surprised if one goes off to cover up the coming "banking holiday." The people that made this mess have bunkers. Be prepared if nothing happens you have extra food and have saved money from rising food costs. It, Furthermore, makes great root cellar to store potatoes, carrots, apples, etc.... rising food costs root cellar store potatoes carrots apples
  • Soundstorm 2011/08/23 02:03:16
    Tool for survival
    Soundstorm
    +1
    The idea of having my own little secret hidden place has always always given me a tingly feeling of delight. What! Am I being quoted?
  • rk Soundstorm 2011/08/23 04:09:06
    rk
    +2
    You must be a terriorist

2014/04/19 09:25:05