Fake Baby Bumps Are Popular in China: Wonderful or Weird?

Maybe you've seen a documentary on TV where a teen wears a fake baby bump to show and experience what it's like to be a pregnant teen, or even a movie where an actress simply needed to look like she's got one in the oven. Fake pregnancy belly suits are nothing new. But this is the first time we've heard of the items becoming noticeably popular.

According to The Washington Post, fake pregnant bellies, which are made out of skin-like silica gel and run for $80 to $250, are selling like hotcakes online. Well, we're actually not too sure how well hotcakes sell online, but you get the point. The product comes in a number of sizes and stages of pregnancy, and has been used in a number of ways, from fashion to fun. One seller told People's Daily, "Most of the costumers have bought the bellies for acting performances or as a joke, though others wanted to experience the life of a pregnant woman." What do you have to say about this kooky baby bump trend?

• lightflow 2011/12/13 01:36:43
    Weird
    lightflow
    +18
    Sad. To be honest. China denies people the right to reproduce, and they're physically dissatisfied with their appearance so they alter it to look like they are reproducing. Meanwhile they walk past a dying little girl hit by a truck, ignore the little babies dropped in the dump, and try to ignore impending disaster by too many girls 'disappearing' and boys surviving. China's messed up.

• mary E Jay Theyme 2011/12/13 13:07:52
    mary E
    +1
    I did not know that! I thought they were forced to abort. Thanks!
  • Pronata... Jay Theyme 2011/12/13 14:09:11
    Pronatalist Pronatalist
    Of course some regions don't enforce 1-child penalty. Isn't it possible, that in some areas, politicians still fear the wrath and the suffering of the people?

Now how is it right, that the rich people are allowed to have more children than the poor? $20,000 might as well be $2 million, to a poor family, for neither is within reach.

Didn't I watch some YouTube video about some secret experimental city in China, where more children are allowed? Was it 2 children, or unlimited? I must need to watch it again. That city supposedly has less population growth, than where childbearing is restricted. Showing why excessive government controls don't work. With restrictions, everybody feels they must have at least as many children as allowed. With freedom, people are tricked into thinking they can have children later, if ever, maybe never?

I think 1-child tyranny was not China's idea, but Western contraceptive imperialists leaning on China, to get a "handle" upon its surging population growth, because if the world's most populous country can't "control" population, what does that portend for the entire planet? But I already have been advocating a denser planet, for it answers how we are supposed to have our precious darling babies in a world of so many alive already. Simply allow global popu...

I think 1-child tyranny was not China's idea, but Western contraceptive imperialists leaning on China, to get a "handle" upon its surging population growth, because if the world's most populous country can't "control" population, what does that portend for the entire planet? But I already have been advocating a denser planet, for it answers how we are supposed to have our precious darling babies in a world of so many alive already. Simply allow global population density to rise naturally.

Nature, or God, or somebody, will not be mocked so easily. Now instead of China getting honor of being world's "most populous" country, India is growing to a larger proportion of the world total. Some country has to be "most populous" by definition. Maybe China doesn't want to be great anymore, kind of like falling Babylon America, about to declare bankruptcy under this corrupt The Great Obama Depression regime.
  • Jay Theyme Pronata... 2011/12/13 23:37:03 (edited)
    Jay Theyme
    Some places had a '2 Child Policy' (even back when it was known as 1-Child Policy nationwide) and they are returning that. I think Shanghai is now up to 2-Child (from 1) and a few other regions.

If you take my wife's village as an example, she figures they probably were 'technically speaking' under the 2-Child rule - however - in their case this was never enforced or observed etc. This is one way China is quite different from our societies here. They just kinda... do... or don't do.... whatever they want... or don't.... for now.. or again... depending on what Laws may... or may not... (you get the idea hehe).

My wife does believe there was a certain province (she thinks in the west) that, at one time, had a controversy. Somehow there were some women repeatedly getting pregnant. But it wasn't a case of just wanting big families. It was something like female prisoners or like alcoholic 'street people'. The children were going to relatives or the State etc. So a judge ordered them to be 'sterilized'. It was a kind of famous controversial story there. This may be where people are getting this idea of 'forced abortions' or something? But this is definitely not a normal 'China thing' at all.

*Strongly agree with you in principle and recent census showed China with nearly no population growth. They don't need to 'explode' but there is a lot of talk lately about some problems this will cause them and 1-Child is being left behind these days.
  • Mr.2cool 2011/12/13 07:30:45
    Weird
    Mr.2cool
    Ooo...Kkk weird
  • Jennie8469 2011/12/13 07:20:24
    Weird
    Jennie8469
    +1
    i don't know why does the the title say this thing is popular in China. cuz i have never seen such a thing around me for a single time. If any person wears it, that would be very weird for me. And i believe most Chinese people also can't get it.
  • Mejink 2011/12/13 06:43:01
    Weird
    Mejink
    At first I thought this was weird, but after reading the comments below realized this is just sad. These women cannot have babies by law so feel less woman... causing them to seek out anything that makes them feel complete. :(
  • patriotwarriorz☆AFCL☆ 2011/12/13 06:30:57
    Weird
    patriotwarriorz☆AFCL☆
    Baby bump. LMAO!
    Another dumb Hollyweird term.
  • Valerie 2011/12/13 06:30:50
    Weird
    Valerie
    why is that a trend now to look like your pregnant? I remember being that way and i loved it but getting bigger it was uncomfortable. I wouldn't want to fake being pregnant!!
  • TheMadChameleon 2011/12/13 06:13:37
    Weird
    TheMadChameleon
    It's odd, but I'd think it's pretty harmless......
  • Ruby Dear - The Fangirl of ... 2011/12/13 05:58:59
    Wonderful
    Ruby Dear - The Fangirl of PHAET
    Considering their strict reproduction laws this might ease a little pain for people.
  • MOMMA THOMAS 2011/12/13 05:57:47
    Weird
    MOMMA THOMAS
    STRANGE...
  • JohnFitzgeral12 2011/12/13 05:21:50 (edited)
    Weird
    JohnFitzgeral12
    +1
    Isn't sleep deprivation a better way to give a teen the experience of raising a child? A blow horn only costs a few dollars, especially since they're Made in China.
  • Sobola Olalekan 2011/12/13 05:09:10
    Weird
    Sobola Olalekan
    +1
    Wonder shall never end. Now the world is full misery,we should expect the unexpected
  • Just Jenn for Now 2011/12/13 05:08:46
    Weird
    Just Jenn for Now
    +1
    Weird, and yet, I can kind of understand why; for some women, it's a dream to have a child, and a lot of women dream of having more than one, but China's rules on pregnancy, though frowned upon, are very real and quite sad.

While it is within China's best intentions to control the population, it's a double edged sword, breaking the hearts of said women. Not that they care. Women are still seen as below men in that country. While a beautiful country, its "government" does it no justice..
  • Queen Katherine 2011/12/13 04:58:08
    Weird
    Queen Katherine
    I don't get it....
  • Epistemically Justified -- BN7 2011/12/13 04:55:17
    Weird
    Epistemically Justified -- BN7
    +1
    Neither weird nor wonderful -- I'd say that this is understandable given the strict regulations Chinese women are under when it comes to their reproductive rights. The one-child policy must leave many women seeking a false pregnancy experience.

I doubt many American women would pay for a fake baby-bump, but given the legal implications in China, it sort of makes sense for them.
  • Jessica 2011/12/13 04:47:54
    Weird
    Jessica
    +1
    Does it come with pickles and ice-cream? HAHA
  • q.a.t 2011/12/13 04:32:46
    Weird
    q.a.t
    ><
  • retrograve 2011/12/13 04:32:05
    Wonderful
    retrograve
    God dang it I meant Weird. I was going to say well fake it to you make it but eh.
  • Ol'Dave 2011/12/13 04:31:46
    Weird
    Ol'Dave
  • bro ham 2011/12/13 04:20:04
    Weird
    bro ham
    +1
    WTF!!!!!!!!
  • Jbug799 2011/12/13 04:17:19
    Weird
    Jbug799
    +2
    I don't think a "baby bump" is gonna give you the idea of what its like to be pregnant...you need all the other goodies to go along with it. Thats just wrong!
  • Toodleloo SodaHead 2011/12/13 04:09:44
    Weird
    Toodleloo SodaHead
    +3
    Does not compute

Does not compute, people. Does not compute.
  • ☆Snapefangirl☆ 2011/12/13 04:05:27
  • Angela Chambers 2011/12/13 04:02:16
  • logan-er-a-tops 2011/12/13 04:00:34
    Weird
    logan-er-a-tops
    that is quite peculiar i may say
  • Jack's Pearl 2011/12/13 03:57:38
    Wonderful
    Jack's Pearl
    +1
    Maybe this is an incredible thing where pregnancy is controlled so much.
  • ANGEL 2011/12/13 03:42:57
  • sodabox 2011/12/13 03:41:20
    Wonderful
    sodabox
    +1
    They have become consumers. Welcome to the herd.
  • mary E sodabox 2011/12/13 13:11:29
    mary E
    +1
    I believe you hit the nail on the head.
  • Razoreye001 2011/12/13 03:38:26
    Weird
    Razoreye001
    craziest thing I ever heard.
  • Jayfeather 2011/12/13 03:24:25
    Weird
    Jayfeather
    And since when is it a realistic simulation of pregnancy to have a baby bump? If you wear googly eyes, do you know what it's like to actually have them?
  • travele... Jayfeather 2011/12/13 03:39:04
    traveler818
    +2
    Realistically, she may be unable to see her feet going down stairs. There the similarity ends. Does this have anything to do with China's limit on one child per couple? (If that still exists), then these women are making a statement regarding their culture. I could make some guesses, but frankly, I don't care. As long as do no harm applies.
  • Jayfeather travele... 2011/12/13 03:53:37
    Jayfeather
    Agreed. I could care less
  • travele... Jayfeather 2011/12/13 03:56:05
  • edifyguy 2011/12/13 03:24:18
    Wonderful
    edifyguy
    +1
    It shows that the Chinese want to reproduce, and hopefully their stupid government will get off the commie "one child" thing and let them do it!
  • Jayfeather edifyguy 2011/12/13 03:26:11
    Jayfeather
    +1
    They have ridiculous overpopulation in China.
  • edifyguy Jayfeather 2011/12/13 03:27:58
    edifyguy
    +2
    Nonsense. They have ridiculous overcrowding in the cities and vast areas of nothing. China is 97% empty.
  • travele... edifyguy 2011/12/13 03:40:39
    traveler818
    It is a strong biological drive. Most of us have to overcome something. This is a harmless form of demonstrating in my opinion.
  • Dirty Work 2011/12/13 03:23:04
    Weird
    Dirty Work
    +3
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

2014/12/18 23:13:29