Ex-US Commander McChrystal Calls for Military Draft: Does America Need a Draft?

Fef 2012/07/16 19:00:00
Yes, there should be a draft!
No, America doesn't need a draft.
Stanley McChrystal urged reinstatement of the draft -- forced military conscription -- to include a more diverse segment of America's population. The retired United States Army General ended his military career as Commander, International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) and Commander, U.S. Forces Afghanistan (USFOR-A).

“We’ve never done an extended war with a professional army like this. We’ve got a very professional army, a volunteer army and professional reserve and they’ve done a lot. So we’re in uncharted territory,” said General McChrystal.

General McChrystal also suggested that a draft would widen the population that serves in the military. “I’m becoming a little bit more extreme on this each year. I think we need national service and I think you need it either at the conclusion of high school or university." America ended the draft in 1973 after its unpopularity during the Vietnam War.

General McChrystal resigned after a 2010 Rolling Stone magazine reported his mockery of Vice President Joe Biden and direct criticism of President Obama's military policies.

The Raw Story reports: The general, who was sacked in 2010 over a magazine profile in which he and his staff ridiculed top civilian leaders including the US president, said a new national service requirement could include a range of non-military activities.
Stanley McChrystal  military draft

Read More: http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/07/11/ex-us-comman...

• Doc. J 2012/07/15 15:01:03
    No, America doesn't need a draft.
    Doc. J
    +36
    As a Soldier, I have spent the best part of a decade constantly striving to be a better and more professional Soldier. I have, throughout this time been surrounded by those like myself.
    For most of us, Soldiering is more than just a job where you get to play with automatic weapons in other countries now and then.
    It is a way of life.
    We take comfort, in when looking to our left and right, we see others with that same level of commitment. (the fakes weed themselves out)

That male or female is here just as I, because they walked into a recruiter's office and said "This is what I WANT to do." Even with the expressed and implied risks.

I'm sorry, but with deepest respect for the draftee armies that have served with distinction and nobility in the past, a draft would reduce my confidence in those around me.
    I'm a professional, I want professionals around me.

For me it's less about the concept of a draft itself, and more a "no confidence" vote on the caliber of people we would end up putting in the ranks as a result.
    To be fair, there are some great young people out there who would (and do) step up and make fine Soldiers......But there are a whole hell of a lot of spoiled, undiciplined, self centered youngsters who hold no authority higher than themselves, who would wind up in un...

It is a way of life.

To be fair, there are some great young people out there who would (and do) step up and make fine Soldiers......But there are a whole hell of a lot of spoiled, undiciplined, self centered youngsters who hold no authority higher than themselves, who would wind up in uniform. And the military IS the sort of place where "one bad apple" can have a VERY detrimental impact.

Hitler.......Hitler, or another like him is a fine reason to have a draft.

"Diversity" is not.
    We are already about as diverse as it gets. We are people from ALL walks of life, religions, ethnicities, backgrounds, philosophies, and points of the compass.
    So for every left handed Eskimo put into service for the sake of diversity that made a great Soldier, we would wind up with 20 who didn't want to be there.

And if they don't want to be here, then I don't want them here either.

-Doc J
    "Steel Medic One"
    Fires Sqadron, 3rd Cavalry Regiment

• Derbyhat 2012/07/18 08:57:29
    Yes, there should be a draft!
    Derbyhat
    +1
    Just like Obama's welfare state, America as relied most heavily of volunteers defending the country and is wearing down the pool of acceptable and willing to serve. Many draftees during Vietnam stayed beyond their initial obligation to have successful, productive careers. We truly need to add depth to the pool of military defenders of this nation. We also need civilian leaders who have a good understanding of the military and that hasn't really happened since GHWB. GWB could have done better if he had fired Rumsfeld much earlier.
  • mobilsq Derbyhat 2012/07/19 01:43:41
    mobilsq
    We aren't defending this country we are defending natural resources that are not ours.
  • Cleaver62 2012/07/18 08:36:33
    Yes, there should be a draft!
    Cleaver62
    +2
    If some of the wealthy chicken hawks in the House and Senate had come children who might come under fire if there were a war, they might not be so quick to start one.
  • Command... Cleaver62 2012/07/18 16:21:02
    Commander Pyle
    It didn't help the prince.
  • ronbo 2012/07/18 06:55:27
    No, America doesn't need a draft.
    ronbo
    +3
    The all voluteer force works just fine when used properly. Maybe if we quit starting all these wars we shouldn,t be in we,d be in better shape.
  • Cleaver62 ronbo 2012/07/18 08:40:34
    Cleaver62
    +2
    Don't you think we might quit starting all these wars if the wealthy in Congress had something to lose like a son or a daughter in the military.
  • Metaldane Cleaver62 2012/07/18 18:02:31
    Metaldane
    +1
    They're politicians like they'd care besides with their position it'd be easy for them to get their kids in an easy job and they'd never see action.
  • Cleaver62 Metaldane 2012/07/18 20:01:27
    Cleaver62
    I still say if Congress had skin in the game they wouldn't be playing games with Iran, and Syria, and Iraq.
  • Metaldane Cleaver62 2012/07/18 20:24:57
    Metaldane
    Didn't stop any politician in any of the past wars we fought from Vietnam on down through our history and that's a lot of wars not just a couple.
  • Cleaver62 Metaldane 2012/07/18 20:54:51
    Cleaver62
    They were able to get out of service. People like Bush and Chaney and Limbaugh got out one way or the other. There should be no outs. If you are drafted you go to where the action is.
  • Metaldane Cleaver62 2012/07/18 21:02:06
    Metaldane
    Won't happen.
  • Dr. John Cleaver62 2012/07/25 09:40:33
    Dr. John
    +1
    The only good thing I will say about Bush 1 is that he was a warrior in WW ll. A fighter/bomber pilot. His son, Bush 2 was in the NG and spent most of his time shirking his duties. Gingrich avoided serving. Santorum didn't serve. Obama didn't serve. Romney fled to France. His children didn't serve. Very few children of politicians serve and when they do it is generally in the NG and their parents make sure they get a cushy job. Those in Congress will never make a law that will change that.
  • ronbo Cleaver62 2012/07/19 05:24:30
    ronbo
    I,d bet they,d have a much different perspective.
  • Bibliophilic 2012/07/18 06:54:16 (edited)
    No, America doesn't need a draft.
    Bibliophilic
    Unskilled and unwilling people do not make good soldiers. I will not fight in any war, much less an unjust war. Also, we are not even in desperate need.

Technically if there is a draft- women should be included. The environment is hostile towards woman and it makes it near impossible to report rape/sexual assualt. The military has committed grievous crimes towards these brave women:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/14...
  • DavE 2012/07/18 05:44:11
    No, America doesn't need a draft.
    DavE
    Well even generals can be idiots about some issues.
    Come over to my house Stan and I'll beat some sense into you with concrete examples.
    Do you have the same fatal flaw as Joe Sestak ?
  • Cleaver62 DavE 2012/07/18 08:41:54
    Cleaver62
    +1
    Spoken like a true patriot. I should not have to serve my country. My country should serve me.
  • JCD aka... Cleaver62 2012/07/18 14:38:18
    JCD aka "biz"
    +1
    LOL

PINOs, "Patriots In Name Only"!
  • overdog001 2012/07/18 03:54:35
    No, America doesn't need a draft.
    overdog001
    +1
    Slavery is against the law.

This "commander" is an arrogant clown, who has been repeatedly exposed and even fired for shooting off his mouth. Ignore him.
  • Lt. Fred 2012/07/18 03:34:50
    Yes, there should be a draft!
    Lt. Fred
    +2
    If the country actually needs to defend itself, every citizen has a responsibility to directly aid that defence. Of course, there are no conventional military threats to the US- so why have a military at all? Because it is not a 'defence' force.
  • Lt. Fred Lt. Fred 2012/07/18 03:35:29
    Lt. Fred
    That said, McChrystal is an idiot.
  • SoCalEx-Dem 2012/07/18 03:14:11
    Yes, there should be a draft!
    SoCalEx-Dem
    +1
    It is time to reinstate the draft. The soldiers that are in the voluntary forces are serving to many tours, its time for all Americans to participate, especially since they stopped don't ask don't tell. Now being gay won't except you from serving.
  • Lt. Fred SoCalEx... 2012/07/18 03:36:11
    Lt. Fred
    +1
    Apparently, that was the best way to avoid being killed in 'Nam- pretend to be gay.
  • SoCalEx... Lt. Fred 2012/07/18 03:52:48
    SoCalEx-Dem
    Exactly! Now there is no excuse.
  • Lt. Fred SoCalEx... 2012/07/18 03:59:23 (edited)
    Lt. Fred
    +2
    Well, I'm not sure you'd call them 'excuses', but the severely mentally or physically ill could probably avoid combat, not to mention people with certain kinds of employment or study. And people with religious or secular opposition to war could probably be shunted into some semi-military alternative to shooting people. Like repairing ambulances or something.
  • SoCalEx... Lt. Fred 2012/07/18 04:21:21
    SoCalEx-Dem
    +1
    You are correct, there are many reasons to be 4-F. But gay won't be one of them.
  • cookie monster 2012/07/18 03:12:22 (edited)
    No, America doesn't need a draft.
    cookie monster
    +3
    I like the idea of free will.

Edit: Unless it's another World War or something.
  • Bocephus 2012/07/18 02:50:25 (edited)
  • Lt. Fred Bocephus 2012/07/18 03:36:26
    Lt. Fred
    Lovely.
  • Ichiban... Bocephus 2012/07/18 13:15:20
    Ichiban Otousan
    +1
    they would be the first to join the other side.
  • JCD aka... Ichiban... 2012/07/18 14:41:48
    JCD aka "biz"
    Thye have probably never heard about "fragging".
  • JCD aka... Bocephus 2012/07/18 14:41:02
    JCD aka "biz"
    Do they have special units for hearing-impaired recruits?
  • Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA 2012/07/18 02:45:14
    No, America doesn't need a draft.
    Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA
    The corrupt government can no longer draft people into the military without violating their 1st Amendment rights. Remember that they are now allowing gays to serve openly and are requiring training so that those who don't believe in it are forced to withhold their free speech and free exercise of religion.
  • Lt. Fred Torchma... 2012/07/18 03:37:38
    Lt. Fred
    +1
    The First Amendment does not give you the right to impose your religion on other people- in fact, it prevents you from doing so. Your right to free exercise of religion ends at the end of your fist.
  • jeepster4 2012/07/18 02:17:16
    Yes, there should be a draft!
    jeepster4
    +3
    National service should be required of every citizen. General McCrystal is 100% correct on this issue. The country doesn't need a draft in order to have a standing army, but all Americans need to have a period of national service.
  • Lt. Fred jeepster4 2012/07/18 03:37:54
    Lt. Fred
    +1
    Why? I'm curious.
  • kfallslady 2012/07/18 02:07:34 (edited)
    No, America doesn't need a draft.
    kfallslady
    we need to protect the U.S.A. borders and pull of of foreign country's. let the kill each other thast all they have known and all they ever will, our people are over there for nothing, but losing women and men everyday for nothing
  • Kae Kam 2012/07/18 02:04:59
    No, America doesn't need a draft.
    Kae Kam
    +1
    Most branches are letting soldiers out of their enlistments early due to saturation.
  • Lt. Fred Kae Kam 2012/07/18 03:38:19
    Lt. Fred
    Has the whole stop-loss thing ended, then?
  • Kae Kam Lt. Fred 2012/07/18 17:01:52
    Kae Kam
    +1
    To the best of my knowledge, it's been done for a long time. I finished my enlistment a year after 9/11 without any problems.
  • Lt. Fred Kae Kam 2012/07/18 23:21:28
    Lt. Fred
    I was under the impression that there was some silliness during Iraq around extending people's enlistments. Maybe I was wrong, I guess.

2014/07/23 01:46:48