Ex-US Commander McChrystal Calls for Military Draft: Does America Need a Draft?

Fef 2012/07/16 19:00:00
Yes, there should be a draft!
No, America doesn't need a draft.
Stanley McChrystal urged reinstatement of the draft -- forced military conscription -- to include a more diverse segment of America's population. The retired United States Army General ended his military career as Commander, International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) and Commander, U.S. Forces Afghanistan (USFOR-A).

“We’ve never done an extended war with a professional army like this. We’ve got a very professional army, a volunteer army and professional reserve and they’ve done a lot. So we’re in uncharted territory,” said General McChrystal.

General McChrystal also suggested that a draft would widen the population that serves in the military. “I’m becoming a little bit more extreme on this each year. I think we need national service and I think you need it either at the conclusion of high school or university." America ended the draft in 1973 after its unpopularity during the Vietnam War.

General McChrystal resigned after a 2010 Rolling Stone magazine reported his mockery of Vice President Joe Biden and direct criticism of President Obama's military policies.

The Raw Story reports: The general, who was sacked in 2010 over a magazine profile in which he and his staff ridiculed top civilian leaders including the US president, said a new national service requirement could include a range of non-military activities.
Stanley McChrystal  military draft

Read More: http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/07/11/ex-us-comman...

• Doc. J 2012/07/15 15:01:03
    No, America doesn't need a draft.
    Doc. J
    +36
    As a Soldier, I have spent the best part of a decade constantly striving to be a better and more professional Soldier. I have, throughout this time been surrounded by those like myself.
    For most of us, Soldiering is more than just a job where you get to play with automatic weapons in other countries now and then.
    It is a way of life.
    We take comfort, in when looking to our left and right, we see others with that same level of commitment. (the fakes weed themselves out)

That male or female is here just as I, because they walked into a recruiter's office and said "This is what I WANT to do." Even with the expressed and implied risks.

I'm sorry, but with deepest respect for the draftee armies that have served with distinction and nobility in the past, a draft would reduce my confidence in those around me.
    I'm a professional, I want professionals around me.

For me it's less about the concept of a draft itself, and more a "no confidence" vote on the caliber of people we would end up putting in the ranks as a result.
    To be fair, there are some great young people out there who would (and do) step up and make fine Soldiers......But there are a whole hell of a lot of spoiled, undiciplined, self centered youngsters who hold no authority higher than themselves, who would wind up in un...

It is a way of life.

To be fair, there are some great young people out there who would (and do) step up and make fine Soldiers......But there are a whole hell of a lot of spoiled, undiciplined, self centered youngsters who hold no authority higher than themselves, who would wind up in uniform. And the military IS the sort of place where "one bad apple" can have a VERY detrimental impact.

Hitler.......Hitler, or another like him is a fine reason to have a draft.

"Diversity" is not.
    We are already about as diverse as it gets. We are people from ALL walks of life, religions, ethnicities, backgrounds, philosophies, and points of the compass.
    So for every left handed Eskimo put into service for the sake of diversity that made a great Soldier, we would wind up with 20 who didn't want to be there.

And if they don't want to be here, then I don't want them here either.

-Doc J
    "Steel Medic One"
    Fires Sqadron, 3rd Cavalry Regiment

• Atlas 2012/08/08 15:42:15
    No, America doesn't need a draft.
    Atlas
    No. There are plenty of individuals who want to enlist and are turned away for various reasons, there is no reason to taint the moral of the current military by blending in folks who do not want to be there.

If it is civil services they require they can publish job postings in the local want ads or on television and hire legitimately, there are plenty of unemployed people who would love some of the military benefit and a steady career. It would bolster the economy.
  • friend.wilkins 2012/07/20 14:22:51
    Yes, there should be a draft!
    friend.wilkins
    But not a complete yes. The draftees would need to be segregated from the volunteers until they proved worthy enough. I just don't think it would be a good idea to contaminate the ranks with a bunch of malcontents. Just saying...
  • Dr. John friend.... 2012/07/25 09:07:08
    Dr. John
    Obviously you have never served. Therefor your statement is made with no knowledge or understanding of what it is to serve. When I took my physical I was given 21 days to enlist or get drafted. I chose to enlist. I spent 43 months in the Army including 18 in Germany and 15 in Viet Nam with both enlistees and draftees. The only difference between the two is some got out in two years while the others got out in 3 to 4 unless they re-upped. We all did our job. Not every Medal recipient in Nam or any other war has been an enlisted man. Segregation would be idiotic.
  • friend.... Dr. John 2012/07/25 17:55:25
    friend.wilkins
    No my friend, you are wrong. I volunteered for the United States Navy in the summer of 1996. On the 20th of November of that year, I began basic training at Great Lakes, Illinois (Division 076, Chief Dunkle and Petty Officer 1st Class Breckenridge were my Recruit Division Commanders). Go ahead and call me a liar, but after completing Basic Enlisted Submarine School in January 1998, I was assigned to the USS Toledo, a fast attack nuclear submarine. My commanding officer was CDR W.R. Burke. My division chief was Chief Fresquez. But why I am telling you this? I'm just some punk coward who has never served, right?
  • Dr. John friend.... 2012/07/25 21:04:29
    Dr. John
    I never even came close to saying or even implying you were/are a "punk coward" or a liar, nor would I have. But for whatever reason you just had to add that instead of just giving your background and showing me that my assumption was wrong. Of which it was and I apologize.
    But seeing as how you went in in 1996 and there was no draft, I "assume" you did not work with draftees. Correct? I DID and found that when it came to getting a job done there was no real difference. Draftees did complain more but they still did their duty. Come to think of it, even many of us enlistees had worse attitudes than many draftees.
  • friend.... Dr. John 2012/07/25 21:37:39
    friend.wilkins
    +1
    Thanks for getting back with me. Maybe I shouldn't have said that. I thought to myself as I was writing: "What's the use, this guy's never going to believe it anyway." Those guys I knew on the USS Toledo were truly the great ones. I still believe that if there was a draft, then those individuals would be required to prove themselves worthy enough before being released into the ranks. I think that would greatly improve morale and discipline. I only have a few minutes left. Maybe tomorrow we can continue this debate.
  • Dr. John friend.... 2012/07/25 22:02:50
    Dr. John
    +1
    Thank you too. Catch ya later!
  • friend.... Dr. John 2012/07/26 19:50:29 (edited)
    friend.wilkins
    +1
    Before I go on, John W., there's some important information you need to know. I was only on board the USS Toledo for about 49 days. From the first day, when I boarded the USS Toledo in Sicily to that last day in April 1998 back in Groton, Connecticut...I wanted so badly just to do my job, to earn the Submarine Warfare Insignia, to advance in rank, to qualify as a Navy Diver...yes sir, I had some big plans. I'll never forget that last night. From 0000 to 0400 HRS, I was assigned to the Petty Officer of the Deck watch. This is one of the most important duties on an attack submarine. Basically, your job is to guard a $1.5B nuclear submarine. You are armed with an M-9 Beretta (unloaded with 2 15 round magazines carried separately). Upon returning to port 2 weeks prior, I had begun a terrible descent into utter insanity. I had absolutely no business being on board that ship. And I became aware of that reality as I sat there alone with that terrible burden crushing the life out of me. And I knew that I had to do something. There was no way in hell that I would dishonor myself, my family and my country by killing myself. But I could not go to my chain of command. I was too ashamed. So I decided that the best course of action was to go AWOL. And, later the morning, I called a cab for a ride across the bridge to New London, got on an Amtrak and... That's about it.
  • Dr. John friend.... 2012/07/26 20:21:13
    Dr. John
    +1
    Thanks for the honesty. BIG responsibility. I guess we never know how we will react to situations until they come upon us. I was prepared to do battle a couple of times. Once we thought charlie was coming up the hill (A radio relay site called Dragon Mt. 2,500 ft). Turned out to be a group of monkeys. Another time I was on guard duty and charlie started to mortar the ARVN (Army of the Republic of Viet Nam) training camp about a mile away. We could see one of the mortar crews so I called it in. The OD told me NOT to fire. I asked "why the f... not. His answer, "YOU MIGHT DRAW THEIR FIRE ON US". Seven ARVN's died that night. So, I do not know how I, myself would react in a firefight. Good thing not having to kill someone. Bad thing spending 40+ years wondering. Take care my friend. Life does go on.
  • KMCopeland 2012/07/20 01:23:56
    Yes, there should be a draft!
    KMCopeland
    If we continue to inject ourselves, militarily, into other country's business, we will require a draft. The current, volunteer, force, is tiny compared to its size when we had a draft, yet we continue to mind the rest of the world's business using military force more than we ever did. It would be a very good idea if we would start minding our own business -- but barring that yes, we are going to have to reinstitute universal conscription.
  • Dr. John KMCopeland 2012/07/20 02:35:51
    Dr. John
    "If we continue to inject ourselves, militarily, into other country's business, we will require it."
    You can say "Yes" and then use this statement to qualify it??? Wow!! Then go on to say "It would be a very good idea if we would start minding our own business --". Another Wow! Of course we should mind our own business!! Then there would be no need for dumb statements like your first one. Are you familiar with the 13th. Amendment? A draft is involuntary servitude.
  • KMCopeland Dr. John 2013/01/26 02:21:11
    KMCopeland
    +1
    You may have a point. So let me amend my opinion.

Anybody who supports a particular war should be required to go help fight it.

How's that?
  • Dr. John KMCopeland 2013/01/27 00:09:11
    Dr. John
    That is just fine, thank you! I most heartily agree with that. And if you are to old to fight or are a politician, send your children and grandchildren in your place.
    I was part of the last draft in 1965. Did not know as much about the Constitution then as I do now. (Thanks to "public" schools that do not "teach" it.)
    Americans have always been ready to go in harms way if the cause is Just. We have not had a Just "war" since 1945. The last war to be Constitutionally declared by Congress.
  • Phyl *In God i Trust* 2012/07/19 23:15:17
    No, America doesn't need a draft.
    Phyl *In God i Trust*
    +1
    No . We do not need.
  • John Galt jr or Ron/jon 2012/07/18 22:57:40
    No, America doesn't need a draft.
    John Galt jr or Ron/jon
    +3
    other than the fact we still must?
    register for the draft,
    they don't need it while they have the boor door draft known as poverty.
    Army is the easiest job to get, hardest to quit and demoralizes men to the point of submission, making perfect little citizens out of those who survive...
  • historian 2012/07/18 22:27:59
    No, America doesn't need a draft.
    historian
    +3
    I don't support indentured servitude to support globalist wars of aggression. The Defense Department needs to go back to being called the War Department, as they're not defending the nation or the Constitution.
  • Haruko.Haruhara 2012/07/18 22:21:05
    No, America doesn't need a draft.
    Haruko.Haruhara
    No that mess is in the past, besides many people want to serve their country now, my cousin wanted to be in the air force but the waiting list was 7 years long.

No drafting, because if I'm drafted I'll kill everybody, plus say if you drafted a juvenile delinquent you'll just be teaching him how to kill the wrong people and make everyone a target.
  • Michael S. 2012/07/18 21:38:45
    No, America doesn't need a draft.
    Michael S.
    +2
    The government does not own our youth.
  • jubil8 BN-0 PON 2012/07/18 21:34:10
    Yes, there should be a draft!
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    +2
    Right after high school or at 18. If you turn 18 while you're still in h.s., you can graduate. And it should be universal. That way nobody would get a break over anyone else. No exemptions except for health reasons, and deferments on a case-by-case basis.
  • Dr. John jubil8 ... 2012/07/19 00:32:38
    Dr. John
    +1
    There may be a couple "decent" reasons for military service. One, It can teach some responsibility. Another is it can teach you how to protect your country, yourself, your family and your property. In the hands of our federal government and the way it is run today, it would be a VERY bad thing. Just look at Viet-Nam (where I spent 15 months, and 58,000 good, young men and women died for nothing). Another reason it is unconstitutional (See the 13th. Amendment).
    As far as exceptions, the VAST majority of those exceptions would be for politicians and their children, just like it has always been. Congress exempts themselves from the same laws they make for We The People. What makes you think a draft would be any different?
  • jubil8 ... Dr. John 2012/07/19 00:37:43
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    +1
    Since people get paid for military service, it's not involuntary servitude.

Sure, pols would try to get around it. IF Congress wrote a decent law, that wouldn't be a problem. I think we should have a universal draft. Agree, disagree, you're entitled.
  • Dr. John jubil8 ... 2012/07/19 03:38:26 (edited)
    Dr. John
    +1
    It is if you'r drafted and you do not want to go into the service. involuntary servitude is slavery any way you put it. If you get drafted and you refuse to go you will be put in jail. That is a threat of violence against your person to force you to do something you do not wish to do. That IS involuntary servitude. That IS slavery.
    Ps: When was the last time Congress wrote a descent law? You know, One that pertained to them as well as We The People!
  • Ozymandias 2012/07/18 20:55:28
  • Dr. John 2012/07/18 20:20:38
    No, America doesn't need a draft.
    Dr. John
    +4
    A draft goes against the 13th. Amendment.
    AMENDMENT XIII (1865)
    SECTION 1. "Neither slavery nor INVOLUNTARY SERVITUDE, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction." (emphasis added)
    Americans have already shown that they will come to the aid of their country when needed. We have more than enough volunteers for that purpose.
    The way our government is today this will just be another way to get more young people out of this country to force our will on others and lessen our ability to protect America from the biggest DOMESTIC enemy we face, that being our own federal government.
  • historian Dr. John 2012/07/18 22:30:11
  • PrettieReptar 2012/07/18 18:44:36
    No, America doesn't need a draft.
    PrettieReptar
    +1
    And while your at it, get rid of selective service.
  • Kid Neon 2012/07/18 16:42:51
    No, America doesn't need a draft.
    Kid Neon
    +1
    moving to canada if we do.
  • lynn 2012/07/18 16:37:07
    No, America doesn't need a draft.
    lynn
    The politicians don't allocate enough money to properly pay and take care of the active duty military and the veterans we have now, why compound the problem? Mainly, a draft is a terrible idea unless we were involved in a major world conflict and had no choice. It drags people into the service who do not want to be there. An all-volunteer force maintains a much higher quality of personnel, a majority of whom want to learn and serve as well as they possibly can in order to build a better future for themselves.
  • Judge Peter Hill 2012/07/18 15:49:36
    No, America doesn't need a draft.
    Judge Peter Hill
    Iffy but not at this point in time.
  • jerry.alan.carroll 2012/07/18 13:26:50
    Yes, there should be a draft!
    jerry.alan.carroll
    +1
    following what the guy below me said...in FY04, the all-volunteer military was costing, when averaged out, $112,000 a year for every active duty member. a draft would cut those numbers down drastically and perhaps even help the deficit.
  • Command... jerry.a... 2012/07/18 16:17:49
    Commander Pyle
    +1
    It sounds to me like the military needs cutting, not drafting.
  • jerry.a... Command... 2012/07/19 09:06:30 (edited)
    jerry.alan.carroll
    +1
    the military is hurting though...all the manpower cuts are just as bad as the civilian world....do more with less is not the best way to go when they are supposed to be protecting America and her interests.
  • Command... jerry.a... 2012/07/20 06:52:45
    Commander Pyle
    +1
    The military should be hurting. There's no reason why we have bases around the world in countries that have their own military. Why do we have to keep the bogeyman alive? Islamic terrorism, Communism...soon the next threat will be cyber terrorists. Figure that budget out.
  • Ichiban Otousan 2012/07/18 13:20:22
    Yes, there should be a draft!
    Ichiban Otousan
    +1
    The all-volunteer military that took over from the draft in 1973 has become so expensive it will either have to get smaller, not bigger as Congress desires, or declare the ci­vilian equivalent of bankruptcy and resume the unpopular draft calls of the Vietnam era.
  • Command... Ichiban... 2012/07/18 16:16:52
    Commander Pyle
    +2
    What's wrong with a smaller, more efficient military? I know war is money and we must remain patriotic while we are at war with Eurasia, but the idea of solving the military issue by forcing americans to join the military seems a bit imperialistic. Why don't we not worry too much about the Eurasias and Eastasias of the world, and worry more about our civil liberties being taken away by the politicians we elect?
  • BlueMax372 2012/07/18 13:16:30
    No, America doesn't need a draft.
    BlueMax372
    McChrystal has some strange ideas. He admitted voting for 0v0mit in 2008. BTW, the pic shows him wearing O-10. When 0v0mit sacked him, didn't he have to revert to O-9 for retirement as he hadn't been an O-10 for the minimum period of time to keep it?
  • Ben 2012/07/18 10:47:27
    Yes, there should be a draft!
    Ben
    +3
    I think an option like Germany had until last year, where each young person had to choose spending time either in the armed forces or in a public servive/voluntary role (such as the volunteer fire service, red cross, hospital orderly etc) is a good choice. It teaches young people responsibility, new skills and widens their view to what other professions do and what they themselves are capable of, as well as showing them the benefits of contributing to society.
  • mobilsq Ben 2012/07/19 01:42:20
    mobilsq
    +1
    All of which can be taught to a youngster by getting a part time job and going to college. You are far more likely to survive option b
  • Ben mobilsq 2012/07/19 09:15:55
    Ben
    +1
    I didn't realise the red cross was so dangerous these days..
  • mobilsq Ben 2012/07/19 13:52:46
    mobilsq
    quite

2014/10/22 22:02:17