Every Republican Senator Said NO To Equal Pay For Women. Do YOU Support Equal Pay For Equal Work ?

Che Guevara - Hero 2012/06/12 13:39:50
HELL YES, I Support Equality For Women
NO, I DO NOT Support Equality For Women

Every Republican Senator Said NO To Equal Pay For Women  Do YOU Support Equal Pay For Equal Work

An election-year Democratic measure designed to ensure that women don't face pay discrimination was blocked Tuesday by Republicans who complained that the bill was politically inspired and would reward trial lawyers at the expense of employers.

The motion, which needed 60 votes to succeed, got only 52, not one from a Republican.

President Obama issued a statement criticizing Republicans for putting "partisan politics ahead of American women and families."

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nevada, standing at a news conference with pay equity advocate Lilly Ledbetter, accused Republicans of "wanting to stick their heads in the sand" about the longstanding issue of women being paid less than men. "But it's clear where Democrats stand," Reid said.

The bill, which Democrats said would close loopholes in the 1963 Equal Pay Act, would require employers to prove that differences in pay were related to job performance, not gender; would prevent employers from forbidding employees from sharing salary information with each other; and would allow women who believe they were discriminated against to sue for damages.

Democrats acknowledged privately that they expected to make political gains with women by pressing to close the pay gap, which they said has women earning just 77 cents on the dollar compared with men.

Republicans, fearful that Democrats were trying to portray them as insensitive to women, argued that they oppose pay discrimination but disagree with the Democrats' bill, which was written without their input. Republicans remained largely silent about the issue in the days leading up to the vote, even as Democrats, led by the president, made an all-out push for the legislation.

Read More: http://articles.cnn.com/2012-06-05/politics/politi...

• al bundy 2013/10/08 00:54:32
    NO, I DO NOT Support Equality For Women
    al bundy
    everyone should be paid the same. Jennifer Aniston should make no more than the women who cleans the crap out of toilet. She should make more just because she was born better lookin!
  • Lindsey 2012/07/08 17:21:14
    HELL YES, I Support Equality For Women
    Lindsey
    Fascists..
  • ~HopelessRomanticM17~ 2012/07/04 04:33:38
    HELL YES, I Support Equality For Women
    ~HopelessRomanticM17~
    It doesn't make any sense to me. They are doing the same exact thing....why shouldn't they get the same exact payment?
  • Brosia 2012/07/04 04:32:53
    HELL YES, I Support Equality For Women
    Brosia
    I once worked at Taco Bell with a gentleman that was hired the same day as me, working the same shift as me, doing the exact same work as me.

He started out $1.50 more per hour than me. We didn't have different skill levels (if anything I was better than him), we worked the same shifts (and, after about 6 months, I shifted to nights, which should have bumped me to $10, but didn't). It was plain sexism, and a classic example of why they forbade people discussing pay rates.
  • Chris- Demon of the PHAET 2012/07/03 20:24:17
    HELL YES, I Support Equality For Women
    Chris- Demon of the PHAET
    +1
    Of course I support equality in the work place. What's sad is that in the 2012 we are still talking about this.
  • Zamboni - Madoka Magica fan... 2012/06/27 00:18:12
    HELL YES, I Support Equality For Women
    Zamboni - Madoka Magica fan BN0
    +1
    I am for equality, all the way.
  • ehrhornp 2012/06/21 04:35:48
    HELL YES, I Support Equality For Women
    ehrhornp
    +2
    I have a wife and a daughter. Of course I support them.
  • Mark 2012/06/18 21:39:06
    HELL YES, I Support Equality For Women
    Mark
    +2
    Why are people suprised ? because they're ignorant & sottish .
    Republicans don't like women , nor minorities ,... just place a few in places of goverment to look un-biased ,... which means those selected are false con$ervatives .
  • Raven♥ 2012/06/17 00:09:39
    HELL YES, I Support Equality For Women
    Raven♥
    +2
    I believe women deserve to get equal pay for doing the same quality work. I don't think men should be the only ones to be able to indulge in that privilege.
  • Sam LeFay 2012/06/15 16:10:54
    HELL YES, I Support Equality For Women
    Sam LeFay
    +2
    She works hard for the money, so hard for it honey. She works hard for the money so you better treat her right.
  • Wag 2012/06/14 14:57:14
    HELL YES, I Support Equality For Women
    Wag
    +3
    I thought we did this back at the turn of the last century...
    womens right to vote
  • Che Gue... Wag 2012/06/17 22:28:28
    Che Guevara - Hero
    Not if it is up to the Conservatives.
  • mama sew,gung ho 2012/06/14 03:42:45
    HELL YES, I Support Equality For Women
    mama sew,gung ho
    +1
    The powers that be has always had the power,and will continue the take over.If it's even through our own government.Between out sourcing,down sizing,and other disadvantages that are used to control the masses."Always trying to keep a sista' down!"
  • sue 2012/06/13 22:25:23
    HELL YES, I Support Equality For Women
    sue
    +2
    I can see why Republicans are against this. I mean, after all, if women enjoy greater equality, then men enjoy less, right?

Why would we want corporations to feel bound by law? The whole thing is outrageous.
  • sokoyah 2012/06/13 18:18:16
    HELL YES, I Support Equality For Women
    sokoyah
    +3
    Because it's right
  • Tea in the Harbor 2012/06/13 15:58:01
    HELL YES, I Support Equality For Women
    Tea in the Harbor
    +4
    It isn't just pay equity the GOP is against, they've also refused to back reissuing the violence against women act.

They want a government just big enough to monitor all of the nation's vaginas, but not so big as to regulate commerce and fairness as the Constitution requires of them.
  • toni 2012/06/13 15:13:07
    HELL YES, I Support Equality For Women
    toni
    +4
    The filibuster must go. When first implemented it wasn't that bad of an idea. A filibuster allowed the debate to continue. No other bill could come to the floor while that one was being debated. Now Senate rules allow other business. Now all they need is 41 senators who say they will filibuster and life goes on. The Senate is already undemocratic enough. Half the population of the US resides in 9 states.
  • carolynb 2012/06/13 13:16:20
    HELL YES, I Support Equality For Women
    carolynb
    +5
    Republicans are stepping over the line with each bill they refuse to pass simply because the democrats are for it. I dont care at this point because they are shooting themselves in the foot with every move they make , and I hope they lose the majority in the house because of their game to keep Obama from being re-elected.
  • Sissy 2012/06/13 12:52:34
    HELL YES, I Support Equality For Women
    Sissy
    +5
    This shouldn't even be a question.
  • Lulu's Mom Sissy 2012/06/13 18:40:36
    Lulu's Mom
    +4
    You would think by now it wouldn't be.
  • will 2012/06/13 09:45:14
    HELL YES, I Support Equality For Women
    will
    push the wrong button sorry
    if public sector yes but private sector up to employers
    as long as you factor in all benefits into it like maternity and such things
  • D D 2012/06/13 08:33:11
    HELL YES, I Support Equality For Women
    D D
    +1
    I am in reality though and know women will never be on equal footing with men. Men are at the top of the ladder. I don't like it. I think it sucks. We can make things better for women and things are way better. There will always be a glass ceiling.
  • aneed2know 2012/06/13 08:02:08
    HELL YES, I Support Equality For Women
    aneed2know
  • Keeping It Real 2012/06/13 07:36:59
    HELL YES, I Support Equality For Women
    Keeping It Real
  • beach bum 2012/06/13 05:45:47
    HELL YES, I Support Equality For Women
    beach bum
    +5
    equal pay for women
  • Dustin ... beach bum 2012/06/18 02:31:36 (edited)
    Dustin Kern
    Wow, really? Five thumbs up for some idiot who simply reposts the concept of the thread without any original imput? I hope these aren't the people we are giving equal pay to...
  • overlord rai 2012/06/13 05:24:31 (edited)
    HELL YES, I Support Equality For Women
    overlord rai
  • luvguins 2012/06/13 04:23:35
    HELL YES, I Support Equality For Women
    luvguins
    +7
    Republicans oppose anything the Democrats propose. The party of no are sabotaging this president for political reasons. Another nail in their coffin with women voters though.
  • V~POTL~PWCM~JLA 2012/06/13 04:03:37 (edited)
    HELL YES, I Support Equality For Women
    V~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    +3
    I support equal pay for equal work, but the government's role in achieving this is limited.

On the surface of it, "equal pay for equal work" is a no-brainer concept.

When the work is truly equal (identical job description), performed by men and women of equal qualifications (including experience, seniority, etc.) then of course the pay should be equal -- except for performance pay, such as commission, bonuses tied to performance, etc. If a man and a woman are both new college graduates and they are both teaching high school English at the same school, of course they should make the same money.

Here is where it falls apart: Sooner or later, government will decide that unequal jobs are "effectively" equal. For example: Teaching requires a 4-year degree. For a variety of reasons, a disproportionate number of teachers are women. Trash collector is a job that requires nothing but the willingness to empty trash cans into a truck. For a variety of reasons, most trash collectors are men. If a first-year trash collector earns more than a first year teacher, that's not a "problem", it's the free market. Teachers get the summer off, they get nifty benefits, and rock-solid job security, while they work in air-conditioned comfort. Trash collectors have dreadful working conditions. B...

Here is where it falls apart: Sooner or later, government will decide that unequal jobs are "effectively" equal. For example: Teaching requires a 4-year degree. For a variety of reasons, a disproportionate number of teachers are women. Trash collector is a job that requires nothing but the willingness to empty trash cans into a truck. For a variety of reasons, most trash collectors are men. If a first-year trash collector earns more than a first year teacher, that's not a "problem", it's the free market. Teachers get the summer off, they get nifty benefits, and rock-solid job security, while they work in air-conditioned comfort. Trash collectors have dreadful working conditions. Because of this, it's harder to hire trash collectors than it is to hire teachers. The free market solves this problem with money. For the right price, someone will collect trash.

I agree that a male and female trash collector should make the same money if they do the same job and have the same seniority. But gender equity proponents are not easily confined to the realm of common sense. The only way to solve the gender equity issues of teachers vs. trash collectors is to convince enough female teachers to quit and enter the sanitation industry.

The real challenge is to persuade a generation of women to be as money-hungry as most men are. If you can get a job that pays more, take it. If you know in advance the working conditions will suck, be a hard-line negotiator and ask for more money. When too many people in one group are willing to sacrifice money for pleasant working conditions, it becomes easy for employers to take advantage of the entire group. Government action is not a substitute for group members standing up for themselves.
  • Flamingo Flame Gem *AFCL* 2012/06/13 03:35:16
    NO, I DO NOT Support Equality For Women
    Flamingo Flame Gem *AFCL*
    And neither men...Pay should be based on experience, how long they've been working for the same company or whatever, and job performance. There's always a loophole flaw in bills passed.
  • aneed2know Flaming... 2012/06/13 08:04:02
    aneed2know
    +8
    really you dont support equal pay, then how about this. You start a job at the same time as a man and you both have the same education and experience and that man makes more than you starting out, i bet you will be singing a different tune, i know you will.
  • Lulu's Mom aneed2know 2012/06/13 18:42:40
    Lulu's Mom
    +4
    That is the point.
  • Grabitz Flaming... 2012/06/13 20:58:56
    Grabitz
    +2
    thats all good and everything until they hire family members or friends that do half the work but get top pay for doing the same . You put way to must trust in people doing the right thing and that just doesn't work in todays times . Look around and ill bet your best friend or family member would sell you out for the right price . The old honest days are long gone .
  • aneed2know Grabitz 2012/06/14 04:20:35
    aneed2know
    +3
    Exactly here is an example of it that i know of personally, well at my second job at a Marriott Hotel, we had a lady who was our daytime operation supervisor, well this lady recommended her daughters boyfriend for a front desk job. Well from the very moment he started he started brown nosing up to management including myself (i am a night manager), doing everything from housekeeping to engineering (petty engineering), like unclogging toilets. Well one day this lady took home some old towels, that the hotel was not using and her daughters boyfriend say it, dont you know he immediately called the GM and snitched on her, his own girlfriend's mom, then had the nerve to show up to her house for Thanksgiving dinner. Oh by the way guess who is the daytime operation supervisor? That is the only example that is needed to prove people would seel out their own mom if the price is right.
    NO, I DO NOT Support Equality For Women
    +1
    Of course repubs are for equal pay! This bill was pure politics. Woman are actually paid more than most men in most cases. This law would bring inequality. In all cases any woman can now sue and win an unequal pay suit and win. This is a political ruling and a dem ruse!
  • Flaming... wtw 2012/06/13 03:36:07
    Flamingo Flame Gem *AFCL*
    Exactly.
  • aneed2know Flaming... 2012/06/13 08:05:37
    aneed2know
    +7
    exactly what, that she is just as dunce as you? Exactly
  • aneed2know wtw 2012/06/13 08:05:15
    aneed2know
    +9
    oh really, if they support it, why not sign their names to it, i mean if they support it, it should not matter why it was done? That is like saying the democrats passed civil rights legislation just for politics.
  • oldlady wtw 2012/06/13 13:48:28
    oldlady
    +6
    Hahahahaha!

Woman paid more than man in most cases?
    Hahahahahaha!
    LMAO GIF
  • wtw oldlady 2012/06/14 03:15:50
    +1
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/fi...
    Women's pay to overtake men's by 2020
    Women’s pay will overtake men’s within a decade if current trends in the labour market continue, new figures from the Government show.

2014/04/24 19:33:13