EMPLOYMENT: should a company also give a 2 week notice before "firing" an employee? Have you ever negotiated for that at employment?

stevegtexas@aol.com 2011/12/12 18:35:06
Related Topics: Employment, Company
a. yes, a fair idea.
b. no, have NEVER asked for that, but i think i will the next time i look for work.  (i mean its ALL about character and integrity, right?)

• Mark 2011/12/15 03:01:56
    b. no, have NEVER asked for that, but i think i will the next time i look for...
    Mark
    I think they should give a 2-week notice before laying someone off, but not for firing someone. If someone is getting fired, you don't want them causing even more trouble during those two weeks.
  • stevegt... Mark 2011/12/17 16:42:25
  • Hsmagst 2011/12/13 13:51:12
    a. yes, a fair idea.
    +1
    Actually their is a federal law that mandates companies with more than 50 employees give legal notice at lease 90 days to union represented employees of down sizing of a company. Additionally, there are other such laws that are in place to make sure that any and all leave accumulation is paid out and that during that same period no one affected could be terminatied for other reasons except for agreed to cause.
  • stevegt... sjalan 2011/12/13 15:24:12
  • sjalan stevegt... 2011/12/13 15:26:24
    +1
    That's right. Almost all union contracts have an agreed to process, especially larger ones.
  • stevegt... sjalan 2011/12/17 16:43:13
  • sjalan stevegt... 2011/12/18 14:44:42
    Sure they can. Businesses negotiate agreements all the time with other businesses and have to abide by the contracts they make.

A business that is a responsible business would have proper hiring and separation practices in place so that ALL their employees were treated the same and given the same benefits and could expect the same treatement. But in big business that does not happen. You have special treatment of managers vs workers; senior managers vs front line managers; administrators vs senior managers; corporate executives vs administrators -- all getting special perks on the way up the ladder rather than reasonable additional compenasion as they move up the ladder. With CEO's getting 1000's of times the salaries of the simple worker, be they ditch diggers or engineers etc that practice is just plain wrong especially with the "golden parachutes" available at the top.
  • Prime Time Lime 2011/12/13 03:38:04 (edited)
    a. yes, a fair idea.
    Prime Time Lime
    +1
    I think it should be mandatory that a company give 2 weeks.I have been fired a few times in my life and always gotten 2 weeks,and severance pay as well.
    +1
    They usually do with severence pay.
  • wamcalif 2011/12/13 01:48:29
    wamcalif
    +1
    I agree that the two-week severance pay is fair for good employees that are let go. Truthfully though, you can't let someone hang around after you notified them. Best to do the exit interview and have them escorted off the property after clearing out their desk.
  • WhereIsAmerica? ~PWCM~JLA 2011/12/13 01:42:02
    a. yes, a fair idea.
    WhereIsAmerica? ~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Never asked for that but interesting. Tough enough just to find a job right now, so maybe later. I work as a contractor anyway, but I am thankful to have that.
  • Dee 2011/12/12 23:49:12
    Dee
    +1
    If the company terminates you through downsizing, the majority of employers will give you compensation.

If you are fired, you're on your own.
  • Gordon 2011/12/12 22:28:42
    Gordon
    Decent employers give terminated employees two weeks severance pay for every year that they worked for the employer. Plus, any unused leave. But, here in Florida, most companies do little or nothing for terminated employees.
  • TKramar 2011/12/12 22:15:46
    TKramar
    Never woulld ask either.

A company isn't going to fire me just on a whim, it would have to be because I've done something wrong. Why should it let me continue doing wrong for another two weeks?

Steve over in hardware has been pocketing battery packs for the past month, we should give him another two weeks--you know, his severance pay?
  • Pat 2011/12/12 20:38:47
    +1
    Most employers will not allow you to stay on the premises if you're laid off or fired because they are afraid that you will do some kind of damage to their product , service, etc before you leave for good. That said, most employers will give you some kind of severance if they are reputable. As an employee at will, meaning you don't have a contract, they can pretty much do whatever they want to you.
  • whipnet 2011/12/12 19:50:44
    whipnet
    +1
    In the IT industry it is customary to let a tech go that day and pay them for 2 weeks through a severance. Too much damage can be done if they are disgruntle.

*
  • Sport_Geoff 2011/12/12 19:43:00 (edited)
    Sport_Geoff
    IF a company was required to give a 2 week notice or face a penalty then it seems only fair that an employee be required to give a 2 week notice or face a penalty. Personally as an employer, once I decide I don't want an employee any longer or they tell me they don t want to be an employee any longer I think it's best to end the relationship immediately .
  • Rusty Shackleford 2011/12/12 19:14:01
    Rusty Shackleford
    There is certainly nothing wrong with negotiating for that, unless of course you're in a union, then you must let other people negotiate for you.
  • johnc 2011/12/12 19:10:20
    johnc
    +2
    sure could do a lot of damage in two weeks.
  • tomas johnc 2011/12/12 19:17:58
    tomas
    +2
    Exactly why they don't do it.
  • the_old_coach 2011/12/12 18:43:58
    the_old_coach
    Asking 2 questions and providing these answer choices doesn't really work.

I think it would be a bad idea. If you told someone they were fired 2 weeks ahead of time...they could do some damage to your company before they left!
  • DON'T 2011/12/12 18:40:00
    DON'T
    +1
    GOV IS THE BIST ENPLOMENT ZSDFGHJK
  • Zomba Fett 2011/12/12 18:38:19
    a. yes, a fair idea.
    Zomba Fett
    +2
    Even thou I agree on two weeks, I work in security for a big company, and sometimes it is necessary to fire an employee on the spot, so they will not create damage to the company.
  • stevegt... Zomba Fett 2011/12/12 18:40:29
  • LittleMistersMom 2011/12/12 18:37:55
    LittleMistersMom
    +1
    No, and I wouldn't ask for it either. Maybe two weeks notice of a lay off. But sometimes the reasons for an individual being fired outweigh that of negotiations. Sometimes the company needs to cut their losses immediately before the individual damages the company even more.
  • stevegt... LittleM... 2011/12/12 18:43:46 (edited)
  • stevegtexas@aol.com 2011/12/12 18:37:13

2014/11/23 20:52:32