Ellen Responds to Anti-LGBT Group: 'My Haters Are My Motivators'

ProudProgressive 2012/02/09 12:41:08

By David
February 08, 2012 09:10 AM

Talk show host Ellen DeGeneres is finally responding to an anti-LGBT rights group that called on JC Penney to fire her as their spokesperson because she is a lesbian.

In a taping of the "The Ellen DeGeneres Show," which will air on Wednesday, DeGeneres used the opportunity of California's same sex marriage ban being declared unconstitutional to pivot to the self-described "conservative, pro-family" group "One Million Moms."

"Normally, I try not to pay attention to my haters," she said. "But this time, I'd like to talk about it because my haters are my motivators."

"This organization doesn't think that I should be the spokesperson because I'm gay. For those of you just tuning in for the first time, it's true. I'm gay. I hope you were sitting down," the TV host joked.

"So, they wanted to get me fired and I am proud and happy to say that JC Penny stuck by their decision to make me their spokesperson. It's great news for me because I need some new crew socks. I'm really going to clean up with this discount."

After JC Penny failed to back down last week, "One Million Moms" released a statement: "By jumping on the pro-gay bandwagon, JC Penney is attempting to gain a new target market and in the process will lose customers with traditional values that have been faithful to them over all these years."

"First of all, being gay or pro-gay is not a bandwagon," DeGeneres explained to her audience. "You don't get a free ride anywhere, there's no music and occasionally we will sing 'We Are Family,' but that's about it."

She noted that many of the comments on the "One Million Moms" Facebook page were actually supportive of JC Penny's decision.

"For a group that calls themselves 'One Million Moms,' they only have 40,000 members on their page. So, they are rounding to the nearest million and I get that," DeGeneres said.

"I usually don't talk about stuff like this on my show," she confessed. "But I really want to thank everyone who is supporting me, and if you don't know me very well, if you're just watching for the first time or maybe you are just getting to know me, I want to be clear. Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you want to be treated and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That's what I stand for."

"Oh, also I believe in dance."

[Video courtesy YouTube]

Read More: http://videocafe.crooksandliars.com/david/ellen-re...

• IlliniRob 2012/02/09 22:08:06
    IlliniRob
    Ellen is the epitome of a kind hearted person. She actually conducts herself more like a Christian than most of the Christians do.
  • rustyshackelford 2012/02/09 21:12:54
  • ally 2012/02/09 18:45:00
    ally
    +1
    Ellen is a classy lady! Kudos to JCP for standing up to these bigots and not folding to the pressure of another hate group.
  • luvguins 2012/02/09 18:38:09
    luvguins
    +3
    Bravo to Ellen and to JC Penny for not caving to Christian Taliban bigots. Where is the million of these miscreant cowards? Seems they got told otherwise on their Facebook page.
  • Piper 2012/02/09 18:09:51
    Piper
    +2
    Classy response from Ms Ellen. The "One Million Moms" should be ashamed of their blatant bigotry.........
  • bob h. 2012/02/09 16:41:35
    bob h.
    +1
    I gotta stop in at JC Penny more often now.
  • elijahin24 2012/02/09 14:34:53
    elijahin24
    +1
    Once again, not surprisingly at all; Ellen responds to hate, with class and dignity. I almost never shop at JCP, but I'm gonna start looking for things I need that JCP can provide. She's a role model for anyone who has ever been treated unfairly. We need more people like her.
  • Robtbal 2012/02/09 13:58:22
    Robtbal
    Probably a group of inner city baptist mom's.....
  • Wahvlvke 2012/02/09 13:53:32
    Wahvlvke
    +1
    Ellen Degenerate ... there's a role model the libertards can be proud of.
  • elijahin24 Wahvlvke 2012/02/09 14:35:42
    elijahin24
    +3
    Damn right we can!
  • ProudPr... Wahvlvke 2012/02/09 15:24:12
    ProudProgressive
    +3
    Very true. Liberals also stand for "honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you want to be treated and helping those in need."
  • dallas 2012/02/09 13:46:59
  • dallas dallas 2012/02/09 13:50:14
  • Jimbo 2012/02/09 13:29:49
    Jimbo
    +2
    She has done far more for charities than any of her detractors. We are lucky to have her in America.
  • MichaelJ 2012/02/09 13:29:47
    MichaelJ
    +1
    Perhaps Ellen could meet with some of these mom's and charm them. I mean you never know where you may be able to some new 'friends'.
  • ProudPr... MichaelJ 2012/02/09 13:38:42
    ProudProgressive
    +1
    No, it's only married Republicans who start looking for replacements as soon as they get back from the honeymoon (or sooner).
  • mich52 2012/02/09 13:26:31

2014/07/26 05:14:12