Eleven-Year-Old Boy Ordained as Minister: Too Young... or Too Awesome?

When Ezekiel Stoddard was ordained as a minister at the Fullness of Time Church in Capitol Heights, Maryland, last month it was a unique celebration -- one that turned heads and raised questions. Why? Because Ezekiel is just 11 years old. According to "Good Morning America," the son of two pastors decided to become a minister at this very young age when God spoke to him in a dream.

The young minister said, "God gave me that particular scripture [Psalm 23] because a lot of people, they try to draw you away from the Lord, trying to get you on the wrong path." When asked if people thought it was strange, he said, "People come to you, they ask you questions about why you should act like a child and not a minister. I do things like a child, but still I am a minister. I am an evangelical." But do you think Stoddard is too young to take on the role of a minister?

• Z-Wolf closinyou 2012/07/03 18:37:46 (edited)
    Z-Wolf
    It's actually not. There are many people who believed it didn't actually happen as you imagine it. From the picture you posted, you probably imagine a crown of thorns, and nails, and just gruesome pain. Which isn't necessarily true. Also, those are terrible comparisons. Both of those can be proven without a doubt, and without trouble. What you claim cannot.

I don't get my information from Google, even though it is fast. I get it from a library most of the time. You learn more there. But, for someone like you, Google may be of some use.

Just like how i bet you didn't know that when translated the word you use to describe crucifixion, simply means suspension. Read the actual texts, and not just the bible you found at Walmart. Maybe then you can actually do some research.
    calm down gifs
  • closinyou Z-Wolf 2012/07/04 06:03:18
    closinyou
    Prove either of those without a doubt then!
  • Z-Wolf closinyou 2012/07/04 16:42:52 (edited)
    Z-Wolf
    I don't think you know what you just asked.

George Washington:
    http://www.archives.gov/legis...
    http://www.ourdocuments.gov/d...

Christopher Columbus:
    http://www.christopher-columb...
    http://wps.prenhall.com/wps/m...

The first of each is to prove that they were alive at some point. The second, being there to prove that the events happened. So, that's about it.
    tina fey high five  gif
    glee high five gif
  • Twinky 2012/06/22 23:51:35
    Too Young
    Twinky
    +3
    Not trying to be too literal or anything but a minister is supposed to be an ELDER
  • The Lib... Twinky 2012/06/23 01:12:19
    The Libertarian
    Really? How about the Dalai Lama
  • The Fantastic Kai 2012/06/22 23:50:44
    Too Awesome
    The Fantastic Kai
    +2
    4 some reason i started crying when i saw this post. I think its absolutly great
  • Lydecho Rain (Лидия) 2012/06/22 23:49:09
    Too Awesome
    Lydecho Rain (Лидия)
    +4
    I'm not really into religious things, but I don't think that you can be too young to do something you want. People said I was too young to write a novel when I was 12, but I still did it.
  • Michelle Lydecho... 2012/06/23 03:24:10 (edited)
    Michelle
    No offence, but how good was that novel when you were twelve compared to how you write now? I've been writing since earlier than that, and I know that I would cry if somebody found writing from when I was twelve because I was immature, a bad writer, hadn't experienced enough life to write about (only read about real life), and really had nothing to say through my writing. It was just bad writing. He can love and worship his God all he wants, and learn to be a minister if he has plans to be one, but at eleven, he's full of only what he has been taught about religion and doesn't have enough life experience to have something to teach people.
  • JohnT 2012/06/22 23:43:01
    Too Young
    JohnT
    Be a child enjoy behaving like a child. I had a lousy childhood and often think the simple things could have been fun. To take on adult responsibilities at such a young age leaves little room for playing tag, and riding the bike with cards in the spokes and, moon pies and colas, of catching grasshoppers and sitting with your friends with your feet in a creek or just looking at stars at night and wondering what it would be like to go that far. Instead you are preparing weekly sermons and honing your spiritual skills It is a fine calling but one of sacrifice, and at such a young age don't miss the real things as they may pass you by.
  • Firefly 2012/06/22 23:42:58
    Too Young
    Firefly
    +3
    Pretty big shoes to fill, for such a cute little guy ~

But, as long as he's carefully guided, educated, and nurtured,

power to him, those he ministers to, and parents for being a great role model...
  • snell/GOD & COUNTRY-zero cl... 2012/06/22 23:33:17 (edited)
    Too Young
    snell/GOD & COUNTRY-zero cliques
    +1
    not sure why a young boy would need to be 'ordained' (approved by man). The Bible i think only mentions anything near this with the 'age of accountability' statement as being around 13 or so. Has he been to seminary? If not he hasn't passed all the requirements to become ordained, (approved by men), in order to lead a congregation anyway. But i certainly do believe he can be called of God to someday lead a congregation of his own. And in the meantime - preach it little brother!! Praise God!
  • Firefly snell/G... 2012/06/23 00:16:15 (edited)
    Firefly
    +1
    I wondered about the 'ordain' status myself ~

A quick web search led me to this:

www.ministerregistration.org

Specifically this part of it...

Q: Don't I need to earn a university degree in theology to become ordained?

A: No. There is a difference between a degree in theology and becoming ordained as a minister. A theology degree is an academic certification, generally requiring anywhere from 2 to 10 years of university study to obtain. Academically, a degree in theology is considered the same as a degree in philosophy and is generally required if you wanted to teach religion at a university level.

Ordination simply requires a demonstration of your commitment to the church and is provided as an acknowledgment of the church's recognition of your commitment. All 50 states accept ordination to perform religious ceremonies, including weddings.

I guess I'm not certain of the validity of the site, but it's all I got...

And, I like your commment, 'preach it little brother!! Praise God!'

hehehe ! Well said ;0 )
  • snell/G... Firefly 2012/06/23 00:23:59
    snell/GOD & COUNTRY-zero cliques
    +1
    Wow - im glad u posted that. Thank you. Now we know. ;)
  • Firefly snell/G... 2012/06/23 00:34:28
    Firefly
    +1
    hehehe ! You're Welcome ;0 )

Guess I thought it would be more complicated than that...

Not to say that the little guy doesn't know his stuff, because I'm sure he does ~

It's refreshing to see kiddos being raised well, in the footsteps of thier great parents !
  • closinyou Firefly 2012/06/23 01:07:24
    closinyou
    God alone can ordain a pastor. Men may ordain a man that is not called by God, but man-made ordinations are meaningless. Man may refuse to ordain a pastor, but if God has called a man to be a pastor, He will equip him and use him regardless of whether the church organization acknowledges that call or not. The prophet Amos was rejected by the religious hierarchy of his day and was told not to speak the word of the Lord. When asked what gave him the right to speak God’s word, he said, “I am not a prophet or the son of a prophet. I am a shepherd and a tender of fruit. God called me out of the field and told me to go speak to His people.”

It is God that ordains and calls a pastor, elders and teachers. A man does not have the right to choose a calling that God has not chosen. A pastor does not have the right to resign from God’s calling either. God calls, equips and gives the increase. Throughout scripture, we see God choosing unlikely candidates that do not appeal to men. God looks on the heart and His strength is made perfect in weakness. He calls the humble and equips His servants to perform His work. Ordination comes from God alone. It may be acknowledged by the church that is faithfully following God’s plan; however, the call and ordination comes from God.

References:
    Romans 13:1
    John 15:16
    1 Thessalonians 2:4
    1 Corinthians 12:28
    1 Timothy 2:5-7
    2 Timothy 1:9
  • mikeeonly Firefly 2012/06/23 00:29:37
    mikeeonly
    +1
    Almost anyone can be ordained. It's not very difficult.
  • Firefly mikeeonly 2012/06/23 00:41:29
    Firefly
    +1
    Yes, I've JUST now discovered that, through a quick web search ~

Guess I thought it would be more complicated than it is...

Thank you for offering your insights with me, though !

Nice to know a fellow sodaheads' here to help ;0 )

thank you
  • closinyou Firefly 2012/06/23 01:08:34
    closinyou
    +1
    Follow your gut! Quick web searches aren't always the path to the truth!
  • Firefly closinyou 2012/06/23 01:18:01
    Firefly
    +2
    I usually do follow my gut, i.e. instinct, as God serves me well, with them...

But, I also like to learn more, when I'm confused, and wish to share, as well ~
  • FanOreilly 2012/06/22 23:28:24
    Too Awesome
    FanOreilly
    +5
    I am glad you leftists decided to attack this young boy instead of all the other young boys that are engaging in acts of evil.

Shows what disgusting people you leftists really are.

Ezekiel should wear the criticism like a badge of honor.
  • skyebrand FanOreilly 2012/06/23 00:20:09
    skyebrand
    +5
    So because we disagree with you we are disgusting leftists? It never ceases to amaze me just how rabid Christians can get when faced with someone who doesn't agree with them. So much for the bibles message of love & acceptance!
  • FanOreilly skyebrand 2012/06/23 16:23:40
    FanOreilly
    No.

Being a disgusting leftist means you are a disgusting leftist.

It never ceases to amaze me the damage done by the leftist government school system.
  • closinyou FanOreilly 2012/06/23 01:11:26 (edited)
    closinyou
    +5
    You're a hateful, drama creating fool! Your opinion is one of superiority and bigotry! Ironically your rant makes you guilty of all that you feel you have the power to pass judgement on!
  • FanOreilly closinyou 2012/06/23 16:24:13
    FanOreilly
    Aw shucks! Your criticism has lowered my self-esteem.

I am going to join a choom gang, shove a woman and eat dog meat.
  • closinyou FanOreilly 2012/06/23 20:26:59
    closinyou
    +1
    Thats your choice!
    Proverbs 12:1 - "Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid

Luke 17:3
    So watch yourselves. "If your brother sins, rebuke him, and if he repents, forgive him.
  • FanOreilly closinyou 2012/06/26 23:21:06
    FanOreilly
    So I must rebuke the woman-shoving socialist?

OK, I will.
  • closinyou FanOreilly 2012/06/27 18:49:53
    closinyou
    Kinda hard to rebuke sin, while sinning to do so! Insulting others and calling them names is no better than physically shoving them! You just do it with words instead of muscle!
  • FanOreilly closinyou 2012/06/27 18:52:18
    FanOreilly
    No sorry but showing your stupidity is not the same a shoving you.

Clearly only a left-winger is this morally confused.

What a giant pansie you are in addition to being morally confused.

Do you also pee sitting down sir?

Man-up.
  • closinyou FanOreilly 2012/06/27 19:42:31
    closinyou
    Are you the example you suggest I follow? If so, I pass! The example I try to follow, often failing, is Jesus Christ. You should too! Your confusion would quickly fade.
  • ♌βļąƈʞƦơșƐ3033♌ 2012/06/22 23:27:09
  • evangelism_vision 2012/06/22 23:19:20
    Too Awesome
    evangelism_vision
    +4
    Actually I could vote too young but that is not my place to say that. I think that it is wonderful that he wants to do that.
    It is far worst to see kids on the streets hanging around the wrong kind of people and doing bad things. I believe that the Lord can use anyone. Rather it is of the lord... Again that is not for me to say.
    It is clear that he has two parents that have raised him up very well and they get my two thumbs and I hope that he will continue to bless others. Neat Story!
  • Firefly evangel... 2012/06/22 23:52:15
    Firefly
    +1
    It would have been nice to have a third choice for this question...

I agree, who am I to chose one over the other, and

they both kind of apply here as well ~

That said, I say 'Power to Him'

and YAY, Mom and Dad,

for being such great

role models ;0 )

Neat Story,

Indeed !
  • evangel... Firefly 2012/06/22 23:58:43
    evangelism_vision
    +2
    Ya I like these kind of Post.... Nice to take a break away from Politics
  • Firefly evangel... 2012/06/23 00:07:45
    Firefly
    +1
    Yes, it is nice, isn't it ?

I've been struggling, for a while, too,

with random, silly, or hard to read questions ;(

I might stick with Sodahead created pages for a while ~

No dis' intended to all my friends, and thier questions, mind you...

There are times when my brain kinda spins out from the sheer volume !
  • evangel... Firefly 2012/06/23 00:25:44
    evangelism_vision
    I can't wait until this election is over.... I have almost threw a shoe 6 times at my TV whenever Obama come on..... But I keep hearing a voice..... It will cost you more money because of Obama to Buy a New TV... D'ohhhhhhhhhhhh

So I don't

hahahahhahh
  • Sour Dime 2012/06/22 23:11:39
    Too Young
    Sour Dime
    +3
    Too Young, he should be able to make his own decisions when he is capable of knowing what he wants.
  • ♫♪‼Chloey Arddun‼♫♪ 2012/06/22 23:07:37
    Too Awesome
    ♫♪‼Chloey Arddun‼♫♪
    +2
    he's 11 people. He has a brain and it was his decision...
  • Inquisitve Kat 2012/06/22 23:01:09
    Too Young
    Inquisitve Kat
    +5
    The kid is brain-washed... this is sad and should be viewed as what it is... child abuse and exploitation.
  • dvd Inquisi... 2012/06/23 00:25:36 (edited)
  • Captain Pikachu ~ CEO of HTFO 2012/06/22 22:56:13
    Too Awesome
    Captain Pikachu ~ CEO of HTFO
    +4
    *Insert generic comment about how 11 year old Christian is being brain washed into believing God*

2014/12/19 07:17:11