Eleven-Year-Old Boy Ordained as Minister: Too Young... or Too Awesome?

When Ezekiel Stoddard was ordained as a minister at the Fullness of Time Church in Capitol Heights, Maryland, last month it was a unique celebration -- one that turned heads and raised questions. Why? Because Ezekiel is just 11 years old. According to "Good Morning America," the son of two pastors decided to become a minister at this very young age when God spoke to him in a dream.

The young minister said, "God gave me that particular scripture [Psalm 23] because a lot of people, they try to draw you away from the Lord, trying to get you on the wrong path." When asked if people thought it was strange, he said, "People come to you, they ask you questions about why you should act like a child and not a minister. I do things like a child, but still I am a minister. I am an evangelical." But do you think Stoddard is too young to take on the role of a minister?

• Jon Earthling 2012/08/03 14:15:22
    Jon
    I agree. I dislike some religious people who believe they know more than most people about many subjects, only because they have a spent large part of their lifetime studying and poring over a bible again and again. These same people, whose minds are entrenched in dogma, will unquestionably listen, follow, and obey their religious leaders.
  • squire right-c... 2012/07/15 19:06:15
    squire
    bunch of made up mess
  • right-c... squire 2012/07/16 16:02:08
    right-choice
    grow a brain, try facts you might learn something.
  • valeria... right-c... 2012/07/16 16:07:56
    valeria la potra
    At least you're cute :) White guy;)
  • squire valeria... 2012/07/16 19:59:40
    squire
    he's probably mixed with black and has been hiding it for years.
  • valeria... squire 2012/07/17 17:24:19
    valeria la potra
    LOL yep:)
  • squire right-c... 2012/07/16 19:59:03
    squire
    there are no facts . so it is you that needs the brain
  • Eric Ward 2012/06/28 04:59:36
    Too Awesome
    Eric Ward
    +2
    1 Timothy 4:12
    Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.
  • Patrick Wharton 2012/06/27 21:19:08
    Too Young
    Patrick Wharton
    ok lets do the reality check. One he is 11 years old. Two it is nice that he is a priest or missionary of his church. Three i am not knocking the religion at all. But HELLLLLLLLLO 11 Years old is quite young to have full access to a church of any kind. He has no bussiness ethics yet. He doesn't have the background like the priests and missionaries have. They are really good and honest priest or missionaries out there tanished by the churches actions. Example as in the churches involved in those sex scandals or hiding potential pedo's. Ok granted he did some thing that most of us would had taken years to get to. Where is his experience in life. Where is his strong background of helping those in need when needed. I dont think grade school counts either.

Understand the facts of the life that we normal or so called normal people live in would never take advice from an 11 missionary. Sorry i wouldn't no matter what age. I wanna see creditionals and refrences of the thing he did before his priest hood sorry experience needs to be in place before qouting the bible. With out the life of an adult the experience of the person who would believe him really. Congrats to him for being a priest or missionary of god. But i would rather experience my childhood first and then decide to become one later on. Thats my opionion
  • valeria... Patrick... 2012/07/12 03:56:07
    valeria la potra
    I agree with you:)There is an age for anything:)
  • rcardon 2012/06/27 20:29:55
    Too Young
    rcardon
    Seriously, the kids balls haven't even dropped yet, girls are still gross and he has a lot of youth left ahead of him. If he's already decided he's gonna be a minister for the rest of his life, he could shut out potential opportunities that could expand his views of life and God's true will, beyond just what his parents taught him.
    Now, am I saying God could not have spoken to him? Absolutely not! I firmly believe that God uses the simple and innocent to further his work. Wasn't Samuel described as a child/young man when God first spoke to him, while sleeping in the tabernacle? Wasn't David chosen when, but a boy? I, however, do believe the priesthood should be give to those a little older. In my church, boys have to be 12 before being given the smallest part of priesthood authority, and it is not until they are grown men, that they are chosen to be leaders of the church.
  • william 2012/06/27 19:03:57
    Too Awesome
    william
    i can't believe that people are saying that he is too young. if that is his calling that is a wonderful thing. i attend church believe it ,or not cause i know i fall short alot, but it's a few 11 year old's that are really into praising the lord......AMEN
  • bettyboop 2012/06/27 15:47:59
    Too Awesome
    bettyboop
    +1
    Haters gonna hate!
  • valeria... bettyboop 2012/07/12 03:58:36
    valeria la potra
    No hunny there's an age for everything,ok:)
  • bettyboop valeria... 2012/07/14 14:01:08
    bettyboop
    More better for him to be ordained than grow up with parents who beat him and abuse drugs and alcohol.
  • valeria... bettyboop 2012/07/14 14:09:10
    valeria la potra
    Lislen,i'm not saying i'm against him becoming a minister.Christianity and god itself is great.I mean even though im a transsexual,I became a christian years ago,and it feels so great,but i think he should live his life as a child 1st.I mean shure he should be going to church and training himself.So when he becomes a pastor he'll be more prepare,but of course anything that relates to GOD i so beautifull
    :)
  • Denny Lukman 2012/06/27 14:59:19
    Too Awesome
    Denny Lukman
    +1
    I not care how someone in age. what i care only is as long as they do their job well without corrupting or something that made citizen angry
  • valeria... Denny L... 2012/07/12 04:00:04
    valeria la potra
    It's making citizens angry including myself!!! These religious freaks are stealing his childhood,and thats not right nor fare ok!!!!!
  • Denny L... valeria... 2012/07/20 04:37:42
    Denny Lukman
    I respect that. they probably steal his childhood, but if that's for better furture and he not mind the pressure, that still okay, as long as there's no any form of abuse
  • valeria... Denny L... 2012/07/20 07:54:35
    valeria la potra
    +1
    True i agree with that:)I mean as long as there is no child abuse and is better for him to do that,then get into drugs.
  • Denny L... valeria... 2012/07/20 09:20:27
    Denny Lukman
    what 'then get into drugs' means? and thanks for respond mine comment in sincere way.:)
  • valeria... Denny L... 2012/07/20 13:36:49
    valeria la potra
    Well sweetie,at least he's doing something that's correct:)
  • Denny L... valeria... 2012/07/20 15:48:35
    Denny Lukman
    indeed. ouch! I'm such touchie when I reffered as the sweet little one ^v^. I kinda bashful at times^V^
  • valeria... Denny L... 2012/07/21 01:55:50
    valeria la potra
    Yep:)
  • Denny L... valeria... 2012/07/28 15:55:06
    Denny Lukman
    and rudeness is something I will never forgive if that is do by me
  • valeria... Denny L... 2012/10/08 19:15:05
    valeria la potra
    Hi hun:) how have you been?
  • Denny L... valeria... 2012/11/07 14:51:15
    Denny Lukman
    sorry for long inactivation. I just broke mine modem so I can't reply to all sort of comment and recently I forgot both mine gmail password and deviantart password
  • valeria... Denny L... 2013/06/11 19:39:36
    valeria la potra
    Ohh! I'm sorry to hear that hun:( How have you been?
  • Matt 2012/06/27 14:19:55
    Too Young
    Matt
    Jesus started his ministry when he was 30 - maybe we should take some guidelines from that...
  • squire Matt 2012/07/17 20:02:49
    squire
    that jesus was a fairy tale
  • Matt squire 2012/07/18 20:38:54
    Matt
    you dont believe that historically he existed?
  • squire Matt 2012/07/18 20:44:29
    squire
    no.
  • Matt squire 2012/07/19 19:08:22
    Matt
    well that sets you apart from most serious historians - athiest or otherwise, but I am sure you are drawing on knowledge they obviously dont have.
    http://www.bede.org.uk/price1...

In his book Jesus: An Historian's Review of the Gospels, Atheist historian Michael Grant completely rejected the idea that Jesus never existed.

This sceptical way of thinking reached its culmination in the argument that Jesus as a human being never existed at all and is a myth.... But above all, if we apply to the New Testament, as we should, the same sort of criteria as we should apply to other ancient writings containing historical material, we can no more reject Jesus' existence than we can reject the existence of a mass of pagan personages whose reality as historical figures is never questioned. Certainly, there are all those discrepancies between one Gospel and another. But we do not deny that an event ever took place just because some pagan historians such as, for example, Livy and Polybius, happen to have described it in differing terms.... To sum up, modern critical methods fail to support the Christ myth theory. It has 'again and again been answered and annihilated by first rank scholars.' In recent years, 'no serous scholar has ventured to postulate the non historicity of Jesus' or at any rate...
    http://www.bede.org.uk/price1...

This sceptical way of thinking reached its culmination in the argument that Jesus as a human being never existed at all and is a myth.... But above all, if we apply to the New Testament, as we should, the same sort of criteria as we should apply to other ancient writings containing historical material, we can no more reject Jesus' existence than we can reject the existence of a mass of pagan personages whose reality as historical figures is never questioned. Certainly, there are all those discrepancies between one Gospel and another. But we do not deny that an event ever took place just because some pagan historians such as, for example, Livy and Polybius, happen to have described it in differing terms.... To sum up, modern critical methods fail to support the Christ myth theory. It has 'again and again been answered and annihilated by first rank scholars.' In recent years, 'no serous scholar has ventured to postulate the non historicity of Jesus' or at any rate very few, and they have not succeeded in disposing of the much stronger, indeed very abundant, evidence to the contrary.
  • squire Matt 2012/07/19 19:46:50
    squire
    what "so called" pagan personages does he refer to, whose existence is never questioned? seriously, i have no idea who polybius, or livy are, and have no desire to know at this time. what does "pagan" have to do with anything? it's not a name they gave themselves. they were given that name by the "new, so called, know it all christians"; a group of which even the "non existent jesus was not a part of. actually it's not important to me whether he existed at all. if he did, his father was a terror. remember he destroyed all but 8 humans, and then sent them out on a boat. that's some serious dodo. i perfer the happy heretic (helen hayes) and her writings and her books at this time. they are more pleasing and better understood (by me). i'm happy to be set apart from most, "as you say," serious historians
  • Matt squire 2012/07/25 12:12:52
    Matt
    the question of whether Jesus was more than a man is different to the question of whether he existed or not. Argueing that he did not exist as a person, against the evidence otherwise, puts someone into a category where they are acting in a way they claim christians do....
  • squire Matt 2012/07/25 21:38:47 (edited)
    squire
    EVIDENCE? what evidence. if he didn't exist then how could he be more than a man? i say that this jesus did not exist; so it's a closeout for me.
  • dwolfcoach1 2012/06/27 02:17:58
    Too Young
    dwolfcoach1
    Ha, one fraud follows another! Would you go to a Dr. that was 11? Nope, but if an 11 year old claims to know something he can't possibly know, then we call him reverend! No thinking person can buy this BS!
  • william dwolfco... 2012/06/27 19:25:46
    william
    do you like to watch the little girl pageants...????
  • valeria... william 2012/07/12 04:01:53
    valeria la potra
    No!! Girls should be girls and like iv'e mentioned before.There's an age for everything.
  • Houndies 2012/06/27 02:13:32
    Too Young
    Houndies
    He's too young to think for himself at this point he is just a mimic spouting what he's heard and seen from older people. I went to a few pentacostal churches when I was a kid complete with tongues, laying on of hands etc... All the kids I knew were just doing what the adults did whether they felt anything or not. Most of the adults I knew were faking anyway.

2014/09/20 18:03:36